• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has turned the Surface Duo into a handheld Xbox

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Kinda neat.. but that device in general looks a bit like a UX nightmare. Apps aren't designed to avoid putting touchable things near the hinge, so it looks like quite often you'd be poking at the screen near the hinge struggling to select things.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

That input lag:

IBH.gif

Obviously the service itself has lag, no way around that really, but is that the touch controls adding more? Because I'm not that sensitive to lag and that looked unplayable. Like 100s of ms of lag when he moved the analogue stick.

You can just use a physical controller ofc, so no worries really. I just haven't used touch controls for an extended period, is it usually that bad?

Last edited:

elliot5

That input lag:

IBH.gif

Obviously the service itself has lag, no way around that really, but is that the touch controls adding more? Because I'm not that sensitive to lag and that looked unplayable. Like 100s of ms of lag when he moved the analogue stick.

You can just use a physical controller ofc, so no worries really. I just haven't used touch controls for an extended period, is it usually that bad?
It may be placebo, but I find touch controls to be much worse latency perception wise than a controller. Especially on the 30 fps FPS games like SOT

WoodyStare

It’s very much first gen hardware. The bezels are too big, and the software too laggy. The second or third gen could be great for this though, especially when more games support touch.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yeah that...lag does not seems to reflect my experience, my guess is that you can poll controller at like 200hz or maybe more, not sure how much is it permissible through BT, but with touchcontrolls you are probably stuck to refresh rate + calculations and all that shit.

Also the "bezels" looks embarassing with 16:9 content, holy fuck.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Yes, touch controls can die a painfull horrible death as far as I'm concerned. If they ever launch a portable with just touch controls I'm out.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia

Ok, it's not a real good old handheld but that's not the point.

The fucking pangolin announced something like that in March ("portable machine" not "handheld console"), many laughed at him or saying half his predictions were wrong but i disagree.(i don't see any deleted tweets... There are marks when it's deleted)

He was right for many of them.

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

Looks cool but not usable...

I even dont know if something like a Xperia Play with modern hardware would be good enough.
Currently we have so many options to have a real gamepad or pad add ons for the phones, that featurea like these are just a nice gimmick...

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Surface Duo. For when you want to play Xbox on your toilet.

Only 1499 euro. Buy one today.

Renozokii

Console games aren’t made to be played on tiny screens. Steaming stick sucks. Touch controls are dog shit for aaa titles. This whole streaming games to phones thing is a doa concept being pushed on us. Any game you enjoy enough to want to play any second you can you probably also enjoy enough to not horrifically gimp your experience. I’ll stick with clash Royale.

elliot5

Console games aren’t made to be played on tiny screens. Steaming stick sucks. Touch controls are dog shit for aaa titles. This whole streaming games to phones thing is a doa concept being pushed on us. Any game you enjoy enough to want to play any second you can you probably also enjoy enough to not horrifically gimp your experience. I’ll stick with clash Royale.
Boomer ass take

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Ok, it's not a real good old handheld but that's not the point.

The fucking pangolin announced something like that in March ("portable machine" not "handheld console"), many laughed at him or saying half his predictions were wrong but i disagree.(i don't see any deleted tweets... There are marks when it's deleted)

He was right for many of them.

This is an app for a machine that released almost a year ago. It already had an xCloud app even since it’s Android, it’s just a better version for this device lol

teezzy

Banned
Smart move

Strengthening the value of Microsoft tablet devices while simultaneously expanding the Xbox branding

This is blue ocean level shit. GamePass might be Microsoft's Wii moment

Feel free to quote me on that

Smart move

Strengthening the value of Microsoft tablet devices while simultaneously expanding the Xbox branding

This is blue ocean level shit. GamePass might be Microsoft's Wii moment

Feel free to quote me on that
You mean a ton of shovelware and shit controls? I agree.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I really hope they aren't preparing a cheap version of this with touch controls, I want some legit competition in the handheld space but touch control garbage would = total failure. Acceptable I suppose if it has the ability to attach controllers to the outside somehow.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
This is an app for a machine that released almost a year ago. It already had an xCloud app even since it’s Android, it’s just a better version for this device lol
I think he described himself just as a friend of an insider, not the insider. (Ok the "uncle story" :) )

That would explain why sometimes he sometimes mix things up a little: For instance, someone said " hey, he is not exactly right with the Kingdom heart collection on EGS".(keywords were "EGS"... "kingdom Hearts"). But he was close from the truth.

My point he is not a professional who probably saw things through his wife or friend.(since he seems to know several informations from different companies, i think he is just a clumsy dude, friend with important game journalist or trailer translators who have scoop informations a few months before games releases)

Last edited:
That in addition to market innovation where the rest of the industry tripped over themselves to play catch-up, sure.
Oh god i hope not. My surface laptop 3 developed a hairline crack one month outside of the warranty and they wanted me to pay over 600 to fix something they admitted was a known issue.

jigglet

Banned
I'm not even going to read the OP's post. I bet it's some misleading BS about how it's being used to run xcloud or some shit. I mean that in itself is very cool but I still hate misleading BS "news".

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Using A touch screen as a replacement for a tactile gamepad for console games (NOT MOBILE GAMES) is the equivalent of using a cheese grater as a touchscreen.
Just no don't please

Top Bottom