• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft hiring for Horizon Zero Dawn-like game, maybe by Playground (Forza Horizon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caronte

latest

Well, either you don't want to accept the fact that MS is in need of good games or you are easily satisfied with yearly updates of lukewarm racing games.

It was a reference to that silly picture showing trees as proof of how all Sony exclusives look the same. Calm down...

I remember that thread.

Iunderstoodthatreference.jpg

Thank God.

gamz

No recent ones, that would require them to release a game first. I suppose you could say the majority of their lineup is Forza which is derivative in itself. At least they went and bought out some random 3d platformer called Lucky something rather than funding one of their own very desirable IP.

*Bitter Rare fan

Support Rare then. They have a game coming out soon.

If this turns out to be true (I really doubt it's a clone) didn't Phil have an interview this spring saying they weren't interested in making games like Horizon? And they wanted more service based games?
No, he actually said the opposite. What he did say was that they think they should do something to make those games viable in the same way MP games/GaaS are.

He was practically spitting out that they will try to make games like Horizon and quantum Break for game pass.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I lost interest after I climbed a tallneck for the first time and realized it was nothing but a radio tower.
*eye-roll* There's like 5 tallnecks in the entire game, it's not like it's even a core gameplay mechanic. What a silly reason to drop a fantastic game.
After that, the "magic" of the wonderful opening of the game was gone. It's a great, high quality "best of open world genre" game, but it's not original. To me, the only thing remarkable is the tech behind it.
What about the combat? The story? You climb one tallneck and suddenly these things don't matter? Well, OK... :S

No need to be salty or calling them unoriginal because of this. Everyone copies everyone in every industry.

I just hope they produce something good. :)

Peterpan

What's all this of contracts and publishers, or are people speculating. I don't follow every Microsoft thread. Clue me in.

BigEmil

So it will be on PC too right? Sadly maybe on Windows Store, any store like Steam would be nice though

Montresor

Fingers crossed that this is Playground Studios making a new 1st-party open world IP. Forza Horizon 3 is the game of the gen so far for me and shows that if anyone in Microsoft's stable knows how to do open world, it's Playground.

Would be interesting to see them make an open world ACTION game, rather than an open world racing festival.

Dynomutt

Interesting arguments about originality? Is anything really original some execute better than others.

Although it would be curious how the industry would be in devs/publishers could actually patent original gameplay types or mechanics. I know if I were From or Rocksteady I would license the hell out of those combat mechanics.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
People saying that MS isn't original and people pointing out Horizon isn't even original to begin with. It's fair.

To be fair..its original enough to be called its own style instead of the amalgamation of tropes it cribbed from in terms of gameplay

FelipeMGM

I'm sure "like HZD" means open world 3rd person exclusive game, not literally like HZD.

might not even be about that, he is hiring for an art position, to create enviroments with art style that reminds the tone of HZD

but of course no one really read the listing and just wants to create a fuzz around it

Xumbrega

Banned
Playground's new IP being multiplatform doesn't make sense here, unless they aren't making FH4 lol, because the job list clearly says it's a MS exclusive and it's very clear that this game is from Playground.

Interesting arguments about originality? Is anything really original some execute better then others.

Although it would be curious how the industry would be in devs/publishers could actually patent original gameplay types or mechanics. I know if I were From or Rocksteady I would license the hell out of those combat mechanics.

A discussion about originality in games would be a worthwhile discussion to have... just not in this thread.

Zukkoyaki

Anyone interpreting "Like Horizon" as anything other than, "We're making an open-world, third person action game." is waaaay overthinking things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom