• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is "All In" on Gaming according to CEO Satya Nadella

are you sure you guys are......I mean its been how many months since your new console has released and you haven't managed to release one first party game.....thats like me saying "I'm all in with your child education" and yet i havent showed up to work yet.....at all.......
It's more like Feige saying, "we have Marvel Phase 4 on the way."

And then they work on it for years until its ready.

what, Halo, one of their flag ship titles and Jez Corden is already saying its going to be underwhelming and it wont blow anyone away? You do realize then it will be around a whole year launching a new console with no new first party games? Stop capping for them, this is unacceptable. The more you tell them its ok the more it will happen, have people learnt nothing from last generation?
I expect Halo, Forza and Flight Sim for later this year. Maybe one more surprise game too. Good enough for me, my backlog is a mile long anyway.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
People measured controller input delay. RDR2 has something like 10 frames of delay. That's insanely high and an order of magnitude worse than whatever an internet connection would add to the delay.
RDR2 is another story, that game has some serious input delay. From looting to firing, which is one of the reason i dont enjoy another playthrough at all

no shit. i reckon PS4 "winning" last gen is the worst thing Sony could've ever done. Compare 2013 MS to 2020/2021 MS and let me tell you...if I were Sony i'd be shitting myself right now. MS can afford to buy up studios without making a dent and they can also afford to play the long game. I ain't no fan boy and want both Sony/MS to do well but I think MS will kick Sonys ass.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Or you know, games arnt ready yet since they made a lot of acquisitions they cant just pull AAA titles within a year / 2 years

They were very open about that from the start unlike some companies
Their last first party game was Gear 5 in 2019, what were they doing since before then? Phil stated himself they were ramping up for next gen and when it finally came it was a wet fart. Purchasing Zenimax benefits both because Bethesda was bound to go under, however the only reason they purchased them was because they had no quality titles in the pipeline, this is a band-aid to fix an internal problem, and honestly with Bethesda's latest track record, its doesnt look good either.

Satya could pull off an epic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles costume for Halloween.
tumblr_mi86rvEcGB1rhzf4ho1_400.gif

no shit. i reckon PS4 "winning" last gen is the worst thing Sony could've ever done. Compare 2013 MS to 2020/2021 MS and let me tell you...if I were Sony i'd be shitting myself right now. MS can afford to buy up studios without making a dent and they can also afford to play the long game. I ain't no fan boy and want both Sony/MS to do well but I think MS will kick Sonys ass.
People don't want to hear it and I might be wrong but Sony sticking with the Nintendo business model will bite them in the ass long term. Sony's IPs aren't as nearly as strong as Nintendo's.

They definitely have everything in place to turn Sony into something similar to Nintendo. A box you get just for the first party exclusives.

If services, and third party games are better / equivalent on Xbox, that's a solid start.

Their last first party game was Gear 5 in 2019, what were they doing since before then? Phil stated himself they were ramping up for next gen and when it finally came it was a wet fart. Purchasing Zenimax benefits both because Bethesda was bound to go under, however the only reason they purchased them was because they had no quality titles in the pipeline, this is a band-aid to fix an internal problem, and honestly with Bethesda's latest track record, its doesnt look good either.
"Bethesda was bound to go under"

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

The Daily Show Wtf GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

HoofHearted

I think he shouldve just pointed to their $7.5 billion acquisition of Bethesda and ended the video.

In fact just talking about why gaming is important to Microsoft plants doubts in people's minds like why is this even being discussed. Imagine if Nintendo CEO tried to explain why gaming is important.

MS was all-in the moment they bought zenimax. Anyone who needs further convincing is not worth convincing.

Agreed - Buying Bethesda is just the beginning (and a huge signal).

Clearly Satya is noting that gaming is now a significant focus of MS's broader core business model and long term vision/investment and will be tied with other aspects and segments of their overall business strategy. More publishers -> more studios -> more games -> more GaaS -> more Azure services -> etc...

Everyone has been so focused on how MS is "losing" money with the Bethesda/Zenimax acquisition. In the overall broader picture - this was a drop in the bucket ... A kick starter investment to get things moving.

It'll be very interesting to see how things unfold in the next 1-3 years as games begin to be (strategically) released on GamePass. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a huge push this holiday of XSX/XSS consoles bundled with free GPU (with Halo Infinite) for 1-2 years.

are you sure you guys are......I mean its been how many months since your new console has released and you haven't managed to release one first party game.....thats like me saying "I'm all in with your child education" and yet i havent showed up to work yet.....at all.......

They are working on fps boost titles, backward compatibility etc. Not exactly sitting twiddling thumbs.

Sure, not as exciting as new games, but better for long term when you are trying to build up a library across generations.

In few years people would have forgotten the launch lineup of either consoles (rightfully so, like every console launch) but this effort would still be useful.

Mister Wolf

People don't want to hear it and I might be wrong but Sony sticking with the Nintendo business model will bite them in the ass long term. Sony's IPs aren't as nearly as strong as Nintendo's.

The crazy part is Nintendo's IPs are stronger now than ever. Zelda never sold like that before. I hope Metroid gets the same kind of resurgence. Its on Retro again to revolutionize how we view Metroid.

Unknown?

Shitting themselves by Xbox going more multiplatform? Yeah they aren't getting out of console business but this just makes it easier for Sony to sell hardware.

Nintendo's success also depends on hardware. Their SUPER strong IP that keep them afloat, as you say, didn't save the GameCube or WiiU.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
Sony and Nintendo are a side show to what MS is doing against Google and Amazon.

Goole and Amazon are not a match for MS in this space at all currently.

It’s not great how much air the streaming battle is sucking out of traditional console gaming.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

They are working on fps boost titles, backward compatibility etc. Not exactly sitting twiddling thumbs.

Sure, not as exciting as new games, but better for long term when you are trying to build up a library across generations.

In few years people would have forgotten the launch lineup of either consoles (rightfully so, like every console launch) but this effort would still be useful.
OMG OLD GAMES, which is what when I buy a 500 dollar system is to go "hey what can I play that came out years ago" not "hey what are some new fresh experiences" xbox gamers are starting to sound like PC gamers.

Thats bullshit PS4 had a shit lineup and people still remember the lack luster games, atleast this gen it was moderately better with astro bot, demon souls and miles morales.

Last edited:
Lol I like how the other thread saying MS was going to manufacture Xbox TVs was deleted. User used the same link as this one and I was about to ask where it said anything about making TVs.

The crazy part is Nintendo's IPs are stronger now than ever. Zelda never sold like that before. I hope Metroid gets the same kind of resurgence. Its on Retro again to revolutionize how we view Metroid.
There's a reason why Nintendo can get away with selling outdated consoles and lazy ports of games for full price. Their IPs are absolute monsters (and the games are also great, which kinda helps :messenger_beaming: ).

with their recent struggles and as well as fallout 76 being an absolute bust i see no reason for them to be around as long as we think, their purchase just secured them financing long term. When was the last good Bethesda game again?
imo the last good bethesda game was Skyrim but if you are comparing good bethesda games with games that sell well you're missing the point. bethesda games have been shite for years but for some strange reason they are some of the best selling games out. that's a large reason why MS bought Zenimax. you don't drop $7 billion to own games that don't sell. they might not be good games but they sell.

all Bethesda needed to do if they were struggling financially was to put out Elder Scrolls VI and they'd be good for another 10 years.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Hmmm... I see all-in on network products and services more than "gaming".

Its just another type of product for them to offer and monetize and I can well see them being unconcerned about burning gaming to the ground if that's what it takes to get them inbto position selling subs and content to every home in the world.

twilo99

Of course they are all in... spending billions on acquisitions kind of gives it away.

But still, it all lingers on E3, if they don't impress there its all for nothing and xbox is going under.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

Yet they are stronger than xbox's.......thats who they are competing with. Nintendo games will always ell batshit crazy, however Sony IP's have been outsellnig any xbox game for the past decade.

The race is on between Google, Microsoft, and Amazon to get input lag down as low as possible. When Xcloud transitions to Series X we will see if that brings a boost in quality. Specifically talking about lag.
Stop kidding yourself, there's no race, Google and Amazon had no vision, made false promises, and people will no.longer give them a chance. They squandered their potential.

After Sony finishes their upgrades it's just going to be Microsoft and Sony.

wolywood

Latency is an issue with cloud gaming, but not nearly as big a deal as some people are making it. I currently have a PS4, Series S and a Stadia controller. Playing Stadia games on an ethernet hardwired Chromecast feels virtually identical in terms of lag time as playing games on my consoles. Like I'm sure there are technically measurable discrepancies but for me I hardly notice a difference at all.

Having said that, I've tried xCloud on a phone and browser and input lag ranges from tolerable to unplayable. So Microsoft has some catching up to do there.

OMG OLD GAMES, which is what when I buy a 500 dollar system is to go "hey what can I play that came out years ago" not "hey what are some new fresh experiences" xbox gamers are starting to sound like PC gamers.

Thats bullshit PS4 had a shit lineup and people still remember the lack luster games, atleast this gen it was moderately better with astro bot, demon souls and miles morales.
:messenger_poop:

Stuart360

People like pointing out how once upon a time MS wanted to kill the Xbox division, but a lot has changed since then. Streaming is the next big thing and obviously MS is balls deep in that business. Investing in gaming makes a lot of sense from that point of view.
There never was any hard evidence of that. It all started when Nadella took over (which is what 10 years ago now or soemthing?), and there was an article that said he was less than enamoured in theXbox division. Nothing to back it up, just something that was supposedly said when he took over from a board meeting.
And ever since then, Microsoft have been 'desperate to get rid of the Xbox division'. You know how it is on forums lol.

imo the last good bethesda game was Skyrim but if you are comparing good bethesda games with games that sell well you're missing the point. bethesda games have been shite for years but for some strange reason they are some of the best selling games out. that's a large reason why MS bought Zenimax. you don't drop $7 billion to own games that don't sell. they might not be good games but they sell.

all Bethesda needed to do if they were struggling financially was to put out Elder Scrolls VI and they'd be good for another 10 years.
Even F76 sold decently. Sales were shit compared to what Bethesda expected of course, but they still made a load of money not just from sales but also from MTX.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Licenses, thats why you had that kerfuffle over the xcloud being included in the xbox dev t&c earlier in the year. Microsoft wants to be able to do that but haven't come up with the conditions that publishers would accept cause there could be some loss in unit sales.

Sure, but come on.. Can each publisher afford their own service with this amount of powerful and fixed hardware?

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

So a game that came out a decade ago.....was their last best game.....

Yes also because they were multiplatform, and you had market leader in Sony taking a majority of those sales, now that the market leader is out of the picture they wont nearly sell as much as they once were.

Problems is Elder Scrolls is a shit time far away and we already know the stigma for Bethesda games being buggy and not coming out right what so ever. People were burnt with Fallout 4 and people are TIRED of them using the same trash engine, which is why Starfield is getting alot of criticism lately because its the same crap engine apparently

Stuart360

What a load of bollocks, honestly.

HoofHearted

"Xbox is building its own streaming devices for cloud gaming to reach gamers on any TV or monitor without the need for a console at all."

So Series X/S will be the last xbox console
LOL - No. Don't be so narrowly focused - It's not just about consoles anymore..

Mister Wolf

Stop kidding yourself, there's no race, Google and Amazon had no vision, made false promises, and people will no.longer give them a chance. They squandered their potential.

After Sony finishes their upgrades it's just going to be Microsoft and Sony.

Google and Amazon have unlimited amounts of money

tenor.gif

Latency is an issue with cloud gaming, but not nearly as big a deal as some people are making it. I currently have a PS4, Series S and a Stadia controller. Playing Stadia games on an ethernet hardwired Chromecast feels virtually identical in terms of lag time as playing games on my consoles. Like I'm sure there are technically measurable discrepancies but for me I hardly notice a difference at all.

Having said that, I've tried xCloud on a phone and browser and input lag ranges from tolerable to unplayable. So Microsoft has some catching up to do there.
People underestimate how much latency there already is with dedicated console gaming. Yes, even when the TV is in gaming mode. Adding another 20ms or so latency to that doesn't really make a difference (few exceptions like idk fighting games apply).

Top Bottom