• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is "All In" on Gaming according to CEO Satya Nadella

Batiman

Banned
So interestingly enough:

- Gamepass members spend 50% more than non members
- Day 1 “AAA” games such MLB & Outriders were also n•1 selling games.

Still, people insist Gamepass is killing sales on Xbox lol
Well it’s obvious when you realize it’s only specific people that get “ concerned”

Unknown?

There's a reason why Nintendo can get away with selling outdated consoles and lazy ports of games for full price. Their IPs are absolute monsters (and the games are also great, which kinda helps :messenger_beaming: ).
Like I said in my edit, their hardware also determines Nintendo's success. Their IP may be strong but it couldn't save GC or WiiU. If the hardware isn't appealing it doesn't matter how high Zelda or Mario score on metacritic.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
that's true but have you played any of the new games MS are working on?

you're not seeing the point here. deflect all you want.
No but what faith have they given me or restored that makes me hyped for these games when their last few first party games have been mediocre. Crackdown 3 flop, Gears 5, not the gears it should have been and when compared to previous one flop, Halo 4+5, 343 have no idea what they are doing. The ONLY studio that deserves credit on MS right now is the team that make the Forza games. They kept MS afloat last gen, their games were good and were quality however....its a racing game.

reksveks

Sure, but come on.. Can each publisher afford their own service with this amount of powerful and fixed hardware?
It's not about the cost of the azure hardware platform. I think Microsoft would give that to publishers for free.

It's about the fact that if you buy a game on 'xbox', then you don't need to buy it on phone or pc anymore. Some game dev's, it might not be an issue for and for others it might be.

Google and Amazon have unlimited amounts of money

tenor.gif
And they have been failing with unlimited amounts of money. Maybe they should actually try next time.

Stuart360

when was their last first party triple A game released then? I'll wait, good rebuttal though.
Who?, Bethesda or Microsoft?. Bethesda were not 'going under', Starfiled would of been a 20mil seller accross all platforms, may still be even with just PC and Xbox.
Fallout 76 was a mistake, but one mistake doesnt make a bad studio, especially as the majority of work was done by their Austin studio, which was a new studio with not a great track record.

Brethesdsa, oz Zenimax more accurately, was bought for great IP's and studios.

People will be laughing on the other side of their face when the next DOOM, Fallout and Elder Scrolls sell gangbusters and boost Xbox sales considerably.

So a game that came out a decade ago.....was their last best game.....

Yes also because they were multiplatform, and you had market leader in Sony taking a majority of those sales, now that the market leader is out of the picture they wont nearly sell as much as they once were.

Problems is Elder Scrolls is a shit time far away and we already know the stigma for Bethesda games being buggy and not coming out right what so ever. People were burnt with Fallout 4 and people are TIRED of them using the same trash engine, which is why Starfield is getting alot of criticism lately because its the same crap engine apparently
Finally, a post of yours that isn't totally ridiculous.

Bethesda is weak, and I've said the same thing. They got lapped by everyone else in terms of open world tech, and the people that lapped them are better at gameplay and animations as well.

However, it's still going to be a big deal when people are getting to play their new games on Xbox, many of them for no additional cost to their subscription. Bethesda has room to improve, but it's still going to be a big exclusive when Elder Scrolls comes out. And MS has the money to fund them doing more R&D and hopefully improving their tech down the road.

It's still honestly going to be nothing but a huge plus for MS, regardless.

Spidey Fan

Banned
And they have been failing with unlimited amounts of money. Maybe they should actually try next time.
If they buy take2, Activision, ea and ubisoft. What would Sony have? Sony is only popular because of 3rd party games.

Their most popular IP spiderman sold 23m on 116m console, while Mario kart 8 (a racing game) sold 35m on 76m console.

Sony doesn't really have a leg with those guys.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

Who?, Bethesda or Microsoft?. Bethesda were not 'going under', Starfiled would of been a 20mil seller accross all platforms, may still be even with just PC and Xbox.
Fallout 76 was a mistake, but one mistake doesnt make a bad studio, especially as the majority of work was done by their Austin studio, which was a new studio with not a great track record.

Brethesdsa, oz Zenimax more accurately, was bought for great IP's and studios.

People will be laughing on the other side of their face when the next DOOM, Fallout and Elder Scrolls sell gangbusters and boost Xbox sales considerably.
the conversation was about MS, when was their last banger and first party game that came out?

Doom I'll give you that, way better than the first
Fallout 4, hell no, people disliked the hell out of it and again shit engine
Last Elder scroll was over a decade ago lets see

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Can't wait to have Series X level games streaming on my Xbox One X via EDGE

I really like that XBOX is keeping with the times

I feel like PS5 is a dinosaur "winning" a war that no one is fighting anymore because it no longer matters

Spidey Fan

Banned
the conversation was about MS, when was their last banger and first party game that came out?

Ori2, flight simulator, hive buster, sea of thieves, wasteland 3. But I guess those aren't epic games.

Stuart360

Fallout 4 was at 23mil sales, and that was years ago. Fallout 76 may of soured some people, but i think you are dreaming if you dont think a proper 'Fallout 5' will sell gangbusters.
Elder Scrolls 6, well you already know the answer there.

EDIT. Love the cutom tag by the way. You dont realize those tags are supposed to shame you, not encourage you to continue with the shitposting.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

imo the last good bethesda game was Skyrim but if you are comparing good bethesda games with games that sell well you're missing the point. bethesda games have been shite for years but for some strange reason they are some of the best selling games out. that's a large reason why MS bought Zenimax. you don't drop $7 billion to own games that don't sell. they might not be good games but they sell.

all Bethesda needed to do if they were struggling financially was to put out Elder Scrolls VI and they'd be good for another 10 years.
They focus on Fallout 76, but forgets Doom, Wolfenstein, Dishonored, Elder Scrolls, Evil Within and multiple still successful titles even Fallout thought 76 was DOA.

Last edited:

K' Dash

I can see some posters around here are starting to have seizures.

This is the way to go, offer as many ways as possible to access your content and get people into your ecosystem, offer dongles, apps, and be available on every device.

Xbox will be everywhere, while Sony is still thinking if they should support PC at all.

Spidey Fan

Banned
He focuses on Fallout 76, but forgets Doom, Wolfenstein, Dishonored, Elder Scrolls, Evil Within and multiple still successful titles even Fallout thought 76 was DOA.
He cares about failure to justify his points. He fully ignores ori2, flight simulator, sea of thieves. You can't reason with him.

Mr.ODST

He cares about failure to justify his points. He fully ignores ori2, flight simulator, sea of thieves. You can't reason with him.
Sony concern trolls who cant accept MS is actually making good moves, bar the first party lineup being missing, they are pushing the industry forward.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

Ori2, flight simulator, hive buster, sea of thieves, wasteland 3. But I guess those aren't epic games.
1. All of those games are also on PC
2. Ori 2 was legit good ill give you that
3. hive Buster was fucking DLC not a full fledge new game
4. Sea of thieves with the kraken lacking, are you nuts
5. Wasteland 3, I'm honestly not even sure if you are serious right now

cromofo

As expected and a good move too.

Might still be a bit to early considering the lag and data caps, but we'll get there and MS will have their giant foot in the door already.

Spidey Fan

Banned
I can see some posters around here are starting to have seizures.

This is the way to go, offer as many ways as possible to access your content and get people into your ecosystem, offer dongles, apps, and be available on every device.

Xbox will be everywhere, while Sony is still thinking if they should support PC at all.
Blockbuster died, because netflix made it available for everyone. Sony will die again, if they don't lower their entry barrier. If they offer pc, Playstation, they can stay around. If not, I doubt they will be in the long term business.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

I will reserve my critique of their output until after Sunday. I better see some release dates on Sunday.
from what insiders and Jason have said: halo gets release date however Jez said be prepared to be underwhelmed with its new showing again, Starfield release date but not until late 2022, Maybe a Forza this holiday, and other than that Bethesda games probably wont be out for another 2-3 years.....

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
OMG OLD GAMES, which is what when I buy a 500 dollar system is to go "hey what can I play that came out years ago" not "hey what are some new fresh experiences" xbox gamers are starting to sound like PC gamers.

Thats bullshit PS4 had a shit lineup and people still remember the lack luster games, atleast this gen it was moderately better with astro bot, demon souls and miles morales.
its always sunny in philadelphia television GIF

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
So interestingly enough:

- Gamepass members spend 50% more than non members
- Day 1 “AAA” games such MLB & Outriders were also n•1 selling games.

Still, people insist Gamepass is killing sales on Xbox lol
No. one selling games - but just relative, no absolute figures to benchmark against.

Lots of interesting and potentially good things to come, the Xcloud/Stream stick has potential, however I recently tried the xcloud beta and it wasn't great for me, perhaps with xcloud upgrading the hardware to series x it will be better.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

from what insiders and Jason have said: halo gets release date however Jez said be prepared to be underwhelmed with its new showing again, Starfield release date but not until late 2022, Maybe a Forza this holiday, and other than that Bethesda games probably wont be out for another 2-3 years.....

There are other titles I want a release date for like Scorn, Tunic, The Gunk, CrossfireX, etc. I expect them in 2021. You might not give a fuck about those games but I do. Especially Scorn since its not cross gen.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
1. All of those games are also on PC
2. Ori 2 was legit good ill give you that
3. hive Buster was fucking DLC not a full fledge new game
4. Sea of thieves with the kraken lacking, are you nuts
5. Wasteland 3, I'm honestly not even sure if you are serious right now
Dude are you serious? Xbox is pc+Xbox. Whatever is on Xbox, will be on pc.

Just because you dont like those games doesn't mean people don't love them. Mm spiderman was a fucking dlc. And people enjoyed, so why not hive busters?

I think you have some series bias about Xbox. Please be sensible and try to put your bias down. Judge Xbox by their merits. And if you want to compare to Playstation, then show me a game like sea of thieves which Playstation have done. That game come out 2018, and is still going on. Gow come out 2018, and it died out. People played, and be done with it.

Larvana

"Xbox is building its own streaming devices for cloud gaming to reach gamers on any TV or monitor without the need for a console at all."

So Series X/S will be the last xbox console
lol, actually it's been stated in another article they're working on another console, so no.

Top Bottom