• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is looking to acquire Obsidian Entertainment (CONFIRMED)

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.thenerdmag.com/obsidian...by-microsoft-according-to-a-letter-of-intent/

The rumor surfaced when yesterday, a discussion started on an online forum meant for news regarding Microsoft studios. Members took to the forum saying that a letter of Intent has surfaced whereby an acquisition of Obsidian Entertainment by Microsoft might be underway. However, many have shown their reluctance in believing the credibility of the news as letters of intent surface online sporadically every now and then and nothing substantial ever becomes of it.

Last edited:

DiscoJer

That would be a waste if they got forced into making new Fable games until the end of time.

Microsoft should buy Paradox, which would give them IP and developers (including, ironically Harebrained Schemes,, which is like made up of former FASA Interactive people)

Last edited:

NickFire

I think with ms financing them there’s potential for some good games from them. Liked a couple of their priors a lot.

TagZ

Other than it being released on Xbox I have no idea what you are implying. Microsoft didn't develope or publish it.
Stormlands, the Xbox One exclusive RPG from Obsidian that got canceled. Sucks but shit happens, although I wouldn't mind Microsoft giving a bucket of money to Obsidian to create more great stuff!

EDMIX

Good buy for MS.

If they are able to maintain their studios I think it can be a good purchase. (bad for fans if they just keep doing the same thing over and over again though ie used, abuse and then close down, basically EA number 2 over here)

Dunki

I am sorry but given Microsoft‘s history I do not like the idea that obsidian could be destroyed. I really love how much freedom they now have. With ms behind it it will be gone and yes I bet they have to create a new fable game

Hayfield

Banned
Please god no. Obsidian seem to thrive under freedom, Microsoft would kill their culture and eventually the company.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
I'd rather platform holders open new studios rather then buy up already existing ones, unless they're "second party" devs anyway. New studios is good for competition, buying everything so that the others can't have access to their games anymore seems pretty monopolistic to me.

Mattyp

Gold Member
best-shia-labeouf-do-it-gif-284.gif

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Please god no. Obsidian seem to thrive under freedom, Microsoft would kill their culture and eventually the company.
Thrive?

They're going to the public begging for money to keep the lights on. Let's not kid ourselves. If one of these crowdfunding efforts fails they will either shutter or will be Obsidian only in name.

klosos

Actually I would be in favor of Microsoft acquiring Obsidian Entertainment, with what they did with star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2 and Fallout New Vegas on such a limited time frame was incredible when you think about it. So if they could have complete creative control whilst Microsoft pay the bills , it could move Obsidian onto a completely higher level and compete with CD Project Red for the top modern RPG maker , oh and Bethesda don't come close to either in my opinion

They could be incredible with MS money behind them.

I'm a huge, probably somewhat blind, Obsidian fan. They're the one developer I buy everything they make purely out of unreasonable support. I've told MS several times on surveys since I've got my Xbox 1 X how much I want a Fallout New Vegas X Enhanced patch, and it wasn't left without note on me that Fallout New Vegas is currently on sale on the Xbox store right now.

Going by the Steam achievement leak a while back it was unfortunately painfully obvious how bad Pillars of Eternity 2 sold. That's heartbreaking to me to be honest.

If Obsidian is in a similar state as Ninja Theory, they should do what's right by the company and pull the trigger with Microsoft. I love their games, and this would be a great fit overall. And if it gives me the chance to play a few more Obsidian games over the next so many years, so be it. It's better than them going the route of Bioware. They've stuck around a long time, I don't want them to have to close shop now.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Who's obsidian?
Amazing WRPG developer and developer of the amazing Fallout: New Vegas. They get knocked for their bugs and gameplay but are lauded for their stories.

Hopefully mom and dad get you a nice pencil case for when school starts back up. Make sure to not color outside the lines you little scamp.

Virex

Banned
There’s a good reason why most publishers have only worked with Obsidian for one game and never again.

Denton

I mean, I wish success for Obsidian, but this ain't it.

I do not want Obsidian games chained to Xbone

I do not want Obsidian games chained to Windows Store.

I do not want Obsidian games chained to MS's corporate idiocy that almost killed them once before already.

Now, it is true that Obsidian ain't quite what it used to - many of its talented people left and if Chris Avellone is to be believed, there are some significant management issues.
But I would still prefer if someone like Paradox or Nordic or hell, even Zenimax got them - someone who would let them make multiplaform RPGs.

Paasei

They made the best Fallout game (in my opinion), not sure if I want their talent to be exclusive to Microsoft....

Redshirt

Banned
Maybe a Dungeon Siege reboot...

Or maybe they'd just keep doing their thing since those games seem to be doing really well on consoles.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Would be awesome to see Obisidian finally have the proper funding to make a big RPG again - and MS really seems to be dedicated to building their 1st party lineup, so I don't think fear of them destroying Obsidian is warranted. Well, for the time being at least. So I do think they should go for it.

even Zenimax got them - someone who would let them make multiplaform RPGs.

No way. Zenimax would not be a good fit. I think that ship sailed long ago anyhow after the FO:NV Metacritic no-bonus thing. I don't think Bethesda would want them showing them up on the Fallout spinoffs every time as well.

And if Microsoft doesn't buy them, Obsidian could be closing its doors sooner rather than later. That doesn't sound like a good option for the employees there, or their fans.

Edit: This will be a page to watch to see if it gets X Enhanced:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-for-xbox-one/8q2nkwsd8p6s

or FO:NV as well like I mentioned above. Similar to how Hellblade was announced for Xbox prior to the acquisition announcement.

Last edited:

Pallas

I think it would be a good fit, especially if Obsidian is having the same issues as Ninja Theory with money. I’d rather them get bought then have them go under.

I think it would be a good fit, especially if Obsidian is having the same issues as Ninja Theory with money. I’d rather them get bought then have them go under.

Pillars of Eternity 2 had the following from the Steam leak in July:

Title Players Estimate Steam App ID
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire 203,867 560130

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/valve-leaked-steam-game-player-counts.1463551/

I.e. not good. I backed it on Fig and bought the season pass myself. And I'll be buying the Xbox 1 version day 1 also.

Last edited:

astroglide

I think this is awesome. They are a great company thaylt in my opinion makes better rpgs than most Japanese developers. If they had ms money they could make an amazing looking game on top of that. Seems a lot of Sony people dont like this idea. I'm sure if it was Sony buying them people would so thrilled

Dontero

Banned

Thrive is weird statement. Yes they gave some critical acclaim but they never were in situation not close to bankruptcy.

Obsidian always wanted to be bought by huge publisher

Lister

Banned
Pillars of Eternity 2 had the following from the Steam leak in July:

Title Players Estimate Steam App ID
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire 203,867 560130

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/valve-leaked-steam-game-player-counts.1463551/

I.e. not good. I backed it on Fig and bought the season pass myself. And I'll be buying the Xbox 1 version day 1 also.

The leak numbers really only represent the absolute minmum owners. Several studios and devs have said that the leaked number are very low compared to their actual sales numbers.

So thegame is likely to have sold a lot more. Still, i wish it would have been more succesful, it certainly deserves it. Its up there with bg2 for me.

The leak numbers really only represent the absolute minmum owners. Several studios and devs have said that the leaked number are very low compared to their actual sales numbers.

So thegame is likely to have sold a lot more. Still, i wish it would have been more succesful, it certainly deserves it. Its up there with bg2 for me.

I get that, but it hardly bodes well without something like MS acquiring them. And yeah, I'm enjoying it quite a bit in 4k on PC.

Microsoft is obviously preparing it's self to have alot of 1st party exclusives for the next generation Xbox, and to erase the problem that Xbox One had with exclusives.

I'd rather platform holders open new studios rather then buy up already existing ones, unless they're "second party" devs anyway. New studios is good for competition, buying everything so that the others can't have access to their games anymore seems pretty monopolistic to me.

Unless of course they have financial issues, which they have. So maybe they are sick of crowdfunding but I guess it's ok for Sony to continue to lead and be able to have games like Bloodborne and Spiderman be made just for them, get crazy ass deals like Epic and Fortnite. Yup, Microsoft going after a smaller studio like Obsidian is so much more monopolistic. The only platform that would be left out is the PS4, they would still continue to support the PC and don't really support Nintendo systems anyways. People want reasons to buy an Xbox but all I hear from PlayStation fans are every reason not to. Then when they get the best console multiplat versions on the most powerful console all of the sudden everyone's a PC gamer. Well need to worry, Obsidian games are still coming.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Obsidian has done well for itself recently with Pillars of Eternity and Stick of Truth (did they do the sequel?). I think they'd benefit from a bigger budget and longer dev cycle. If Microsoft lets them "do their thing" I see no problem. It's not like they'll throw them on Kinect games or something. Does Microsoft really have a veteran RPG dev in-house?

Top Bottom