• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is looking to acquire Obsidian Entertainment (CONFIRMED)

This could be great news if it's true.

And if it means that we will finally get a 4k enhancement patch for Fallout New Vegas on the X, then I'm all for it.

Last edited:

Lister

Banned
I'm just afraid of something like:

Announcing Pillars 3! A new, linear, action adventure game from Obsidian!

- Featuring An older elf who goes out on an adventure with his daughter. Watch as they grow closer together in cinematic moments that you will have no agency over!
- AAA action adventure combat featuring roll, roll, roll, sword to the butt sword to the butt, roll, roll, roll mechanics!
- Did we mention it's linear as fuck! Yep, no more dialogue options, no more choice and consequence! Just streamlined go form A to B, then to C. Also features climbing, lots of climbing!

Agh, it's like my nightmare scenario. If that doesn't happen, I'll be happy. I know the studio heads, at least, have been wanting to get bought. It's not easy being independent.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I am sorry but given Microsoft‘s history I do not like the idea that obsidian could be destroyed. I really love how much freedom they now have. With ms behind it it will be gone and yes I bet they have to create a new fable game

That would be a waste if they got forced into making new Fable games until the end of time.

Microsoft should buy Paradox, which would give them IP and developers (including, ironically Harebrained Schemes,, which is like made up of former FASA Interactive people)

Fable is being handled by Playground Games. Also, Microsoft owns the Shadowrun IP, not Paradox.
Please god no. Obsidian seem to thrive under freedom, Microsoft would kill their culture and eventually the company.
Well, Obsidian has been looking to be acquired for a while, I won't be surprised if they were the ones who approached MS.

Lister

Banned
Would love to see an Obsidian + Harebrained Schemes collaboration on another Shadowrun crpg. Maybe using the pillars engine!

Would love to see an Obsidian + Harebrained Schemes collaboration on another Shadowrun crpg. Maybe using the pillars engine!

Now the thread is going somewhere. :)

And (if true), this is a big get for Microsoft and the next generation of XBox and PC gaming.

dionysus

Yaldog
Nothing against MS, but MS has overhead and profitability targets that any acquisition will likely start to have to comply with. For example, in the latest quarter MS had Operating Profit Margin of 30%, Net Profit Margin of 15%, and Return on Equity of 20%. I doubt Obsidian currently meets those metrics. Then the corporate burden could be as high as 20% of their current cash burn for a company the size of MS. So by default Obsidian's expenses would go up because of their share of MS's corporate governance, and then they would be pressed to start making more profitable games as well to bring them inline with what a tech company like MS expects.

All that financial gobbledygook translates into Obsidian would need to pursue larger audiences, which means they would get bigger budgets but they would also have to let design decisions be driven by marketing, focus groups, etc. I'd rather they continue to churn out Pillars of Eternity style games personally, because I am in that niche that loves the old style crpg.

Is Tyranny any good? Starts so slow in my opinion so I haven't gotten around to it.

Last edited:

JCK75

They have so many killer franchises begging to be reborn it's unreal..
But honestly when it comes to Obsidian they are pretty fantastic so their best move IMO is to just let them make whatever the heck they want, budget a huge RPG and see what happens.
I think personally most of Sony's strength has been more new games that came out of nowhere they turned out great, God of War being the exception"

dirthead

Banned
Microsoft should get out of games and just go the IBM route and bilk businesses with overpriced cloud services they don't need. Their relationship with gaming is absolutely toxic. They work the best when they just stay far, far away.

FranXico

Look who brought Sony into this...

[...]I guess it's ok for Sony to continue to lead and be able to have games like Bloodborne and Spiderman be made just for them, get crazy ass deals like Epic and Fortnite.
Why do you care so much about games that would not exist unless Sony hired third party studios to make them? Now that is "anti-consumer" too? At least Sony didn't buy From or Insomniac. By your logic, maybe that would be ok.
I never heard of PlayStation fans complaining about not being able to play Quantum Break or Sunset Overdrive.
Wanna talk about crazy ass deals? How about MS paying Squeenix to keep RotTR out of the PS4 when the game had already started development as a multiplatform game? And the PUBG deal? Last I recall, nobody prevented you from playing Fortnite on the XBox

Yup, Microsoft going after a smaller studio like Obsidian is so much more monopolistic.
One smaller studio. Just this one. No pattern here at all. LOL

The only platform that would be left out is the PS4, they would still continue to support the PC and don't really support Nintendo systems anyways.
And Steam, GOG, etc., most likely. But I suppose it's ok because Windows Store.

People want reasons to buy an Xbox but all I hear from PlayStation fans are every reason not to. Then when they get the best console multiplat versions on the most powerful console all of the sudden everyone's a PC gamer. Well need to worry, Obsidian games are still coming.
In case you didn't notice, taking third party games and even studios away from supporting their favorite platforms is not going to be appreciated by said fans.

Having said that, I personally don't care that much for this one deal. It will be good for Obsidian. The recent trend of flashing their big wallet to buy out so many studios does make me wonder if MS is slowly turning into the new EA, however.

Fbh

They are one of the best western RPG devs so it would be a strong addition to the MS first party lineup.
I'm not too sure if I'd be happy by them getting bought though. It would be interesting to see what they do with MS money behind them but I'm afraid they'll be forced to include multiplayer and "games as a service" features into their games.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
That would be a waste if they got forced into making new Fable games until the end of time.

Microsoft should buy Paradox, which would give them IP and developers (including, ironically Harebrained Schemes,, which is like made up of former FASA Interactive people)
I agree with you. Paradox has a business model which seems to fit with MS strategy. Also, they have a few strong IPs within PC gamers (EU, CK, etc etc).

Bernkastel

Look who brought Sony into this...
Wanna talk about crazy ass deals? How about MS paying Squeenix to keep RotTR out of the PS4 when the game had already started development as a multiplatform game? And the PUBG deal? Last I recall, nobody prevented you from playing Fortnite on the XBox

Having said that, I personally don't care that much for this one deal. It will be good for Obsidian. The recent trend of flashing their big wallet to buy out so many studios does make me wonder if MS is slowly turning into the new EA, however.

Few points to note :
1. Rotr was supposed to be episodic, because MS intervened it became full single game.
2. PUBG exists on Xbox One not because of some stupid deal but because Coalition helped to port it to Xbox One. They are free to port it to PS4(that is ofcourse if they are capable of).
3.Obsidian has been a PC only studio for a while. They will still be making PC games if MS acquired them. They have also openly stated that they want to be acquired.
https://wccftech.com/obsidian-acquisition-right-opportunity/

Also, how the hell Microsoft EA? Do you seriously think MS acquires studios so that they can shut them down after finishing the acquisition ?

Also, how the hell Microsoft EA? Do you seriously think MS acquires studios so that they can shut them down after finishing the acquisition ?

Both change studios they acquire into one game series assembly lanes and force heavy multiplayer elements into the games that don't need it which results in below average games since studios have surrender their artistic vision into what is current corporate policy.

Bernkastel

Both change studios they acquire into one game series assembly lanes and force heavy multiplayer elements into the games that don't need it which results in below average games since studios have surrender their artistic vision into what is current corporate policy.

Which Microsoft Studio was acquired and turned into one game assembly lane ? Coalition,343i and Turn 10 were formed internally. Turn 10 even said that they are not working on Forza Motorsport 8 and 343i is taking there sweet time for Halo Infinite. You could say Playground Games but they are already working on an open world action rpg title.

Also, when did MS force heavy multiplayer into singleplayer games that dont need it ? Dont say Halo or Forza, because thats a part of those games.

Last edited:

Hudo

It would be a nice break for Obsidian, if what Chris Avellone has said at the RPG Codex forums is true, to not have to worry about money. It would also be interesting to see what they can do with a proper budget. I don't think that the current leadership at Xbox would buy Studios only to twist and bend the hell out of them (They can form new Studios from the ground up for that).

mad597

Banned
Ah, the classic "can't beat em, buy em" Microsoft strategy. Gotta love it.

And then you have the whiners saying MS has no 1st party.

Most 1st parties from other platform holders were purchased at one point in time, but its bad when MS does it because "reasons"

mad597

Banned
Microsoft should get out of games and just go the IBM route and bilk businesses with overpriced cloud services they don't need. Their relationship with gaming is absolutely toxic. They work the best when they just stay far, far away.

This is the kind of sonygaf crap that is toxic. The very idea of MS even being in the game industry pisses some fanboys off and is completely irrational.

They want precious Sony to be left alone as the single major console provider and damn others for even attempting to join in on the industry.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

This is the kind of sonygaf crap that is toxic. The very idea of MS even being in the game industry pisses some fanboys off and is completely irrational.

They want precious Sony to be left alone as the single major console provider and damn others for even attempting to join in on the industry.
Dude calm down, you will get banned.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I'm not a huge Obsidian fan and I game mostly on PlayStation but my brother loves their games and I understand that they have some financial issues.... So I can see that they would be a good fit for Microsoft , particularly since they would still be available to PC gamers... Who I believe are their main fanbase.
One thing is, I thought they had a falling out with Microsoft over a previous project!

Jarbloko

Just a question...
Microsoft could buy SEGA....
how many cost sega right now.

I dunno...i remember all that sega/first xbox collab thing, and i make me the question.

Look who brought Sony into this....

Oh, so when someone has fears this will help Microsoft have a monopoly they are referring back to Windows? Get over yourself, of course this implies Sony and Nintendo but it is Sony who has the leverage, which we all see they are using with third party and partnership deals like call of Duty and Destiny, which many seem to hate back when Microsoft was the aggressor but now that it's Sony it's ok.

Why do you care so much about games that would not exist unless Sony hired third party studios to make them? Now that is "anti-consumer" too? At least Sony didn't buy From or Insomniac. By your logic, maybe that would be ok.
I never heard of PlayStation fans complaining about not being able to play Quantum Break or Sunset Overdrive.

They did buy Naughty Dog but that's ok because they became very good under Sony so the goalposts can be moved. They did prevent DLC from coming to the Xbox One for a year on Destiny 2. They do a lot of things to prevent content from coming to the competition. It's just the way this industry works but when Microsoft does it then all hell breaks loose.

One smaller studio. Just this one. No pattern here at all. LOL

So you're under this belief that Street Fighter V could not be done without Sony but don't think Ninja Theory and their reason was genuine?

It's just as OK as Destiny only on their site or EA games on their site but when Microsoft does it it's a bigger problem?

In case you didn't notice, taking third party games and even studios away from supporting their favorite platforms is not going to be appreciated by said fans.

It never is but that's business and nobody is stopping you from getting an Xbox or a Windows PC.. Quantic Dream used to be multiplat but Sony secured them to only work with them.

Whether you acquire studios like Media Molecule or pay for games like Bloodborne it is all designed to use those resources to make exclusive titles. Right now Sony has the bulk of the games that come out and Microsoft is trying to level the playing field but even if they acquire Obsidian they are still behind Sony. So tell me again how they have a monopoly more than Sony? Sony is getting so arrogant that they can make bad consumer deals with Epic and Fortnite and lock third party accounts but Microsoft goes after a developer who is in financial trouble like Ninja Theory and they are going to become the next EA meaning what? To just close them? To force them to make Kinect games? The deal was they continue their creative freedom. So let's see what matures out of this shall we?

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned
Another studio? Wow. That’s really aggressive if true. I’ll have to see it to believe it honestly. I don’t think they’ll try to grow that fast.

-MD-

Hopefully mom and dad get you a nice pencil case for when school starts back up. Make sure to not color outside the lines you little scamp.

65993.jpg

photo.jpg

Fox Mulder

Ah, the classic "can't beat em, buy em" Microsoft strategy. Gotta love it.

I don't see the issue. This isn't MS trying to buy EA and a handful of popular franchises. This isn't even like buying Minecraft. They're strategically buying up experienced studios that are small or independent to add to their first party. I thought Obsidian has been looking for a buyer for years now too.

Last edited:
I don't see the issue. This isn't MS trying to buy EA and a handful of popular franchises. This isn't even like buying Minecraft. They're strategically buying up experienced studios that are small or independent to add to their first party. I thought Obsidian has been looking for a buyer for years now too.

They have and they also have used crowdfunding but rumor has it the big meanies at Microsoft plan to close them down soon after just so nobody gets to play their games anymore.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I am sorry but given Microsoft‘s history I do not like the idea that obsidian could be destroyed. I really love how much freedom they now have. With ms behind it it will be gone and yes I bet they have to create a new fable game
Oh, look!! It's a bird! It's a plane! Oh, damn....it's just more bullshit.... lol. Jesus....

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
This rumor literally sources a random from Era. I wouldn't hold much stock into it.
Um...yeah, no. The rumor comes from someone with a pretty great track record as far as inside information. He did mention that he isn't as sure about this one as he was about Playground Games being acquired (he also broke that story before the official announcement, too) but, there's enough information there for him to mention it.

Try Googling some shit, next time breh...

Why in the fuck would people want Obsidian to be owned by Microsoft? Knowing them, they'd stick Obsidian on their only fantasy RPG IP (Fable) forever and their talents would be completely wasted.
Obsidian has had a tough time in the last couple years but they're doing a big budget thing for Take Two and they've put out some projects like Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny that would've never existed otherwise.

How many people honestly applauding this are fans of Obsidian? Not many I bet.

Last edited:
I'm feeling like people are a bit too negative. It depends on what Microsoft could offer them and whether Microsoft is really intent on investing in its first party studios (which it seems like). The best thing would be to contract them for a project and if things work out well, then acquire them if it works out. I don't really see the need to hurry with acquiring Obsidian.

Redshirt

Banned
Why in the fuck would people want Obsidian to be owned by Microsoft? Knowing them, they'd stick Obsidian on their only fantasy RPG IP (Fable) forever and their talents would be completely wasted.
Obsidian has had a tough time in the last couple years but they're doing a big budget thing for Take Two and they've put out some projects like Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny that would've never existed otherwise.

How big a fan are you? GAF search came up empty.

Pallas

Gold Member

Except Playground are the devs that are supposedly doing the next Fable that’s been heavily implied for a while now.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Honest question.

Why is there so much of this, they will just close wand have the life sucked out if em bullshit?

Microsoft has done nothing but give devs time this gen with the only real blemish being MCC.

Sea of Theives got a ton more time.
Crackdown 3 give an extra two years.
They are giving 343 what appears to be 5 years.
They gave coalition complete freedom with gears.
Forza horizon has done nothing but be amazing.
Cuphewd was given more time and money to make it a better game.

Like.....ok....yeah....Microsoft is just OH SO BAD.

good riddance.

Well, to start we have to remove those on this site that are Microsoft haters and the Sony supporters who likely won't get an Xbox next generation no matter what. So whose left? Playground is also rumored to be making an RPG, so according to you Fable will be like Call of Duty then, pumped out every year but have two separate teams making it? Yeah, I think we can remove you from the discussion if we want to have a reasonable debate about it.

People tend to forget it takes two sides to make a deal.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Honest question.

Why is there so much of this, they will just close wand have the life sucked out if em bullshit?

Microsoft has done nothing but give devs time this gen with the only real blemish being MCC.

Sea of Theives got a ton more time.
Crackdown 3 give an extra two years.
They are giving 343 what appears to be 5 years.
They gave coalition complete freedom with gears.
Forza horizon has done nothing but be amazing.
Cuphewd was given more time and money to make it a better game.

Like.....ok....yeah....Microsoft is just OH SO BAD.

good riddance.
Probably because people remember what they did to RARE. It’s hard to forget.

At the time, it was akin to buying Rockstar and then turning them into an Xbox avatar creator and Kinect studio.

Well, to start we have to remove those on this site that are Microsoft haters and the Sony supporters who likely won't get an Xbox next generation no matter what. So whose left? Playground is also rumored to be making an RPG, so according to you Fable will be like Call of Duty then, pumped out every year but have two separate teams making it? Yeah, I think we can remove you from the discussion if we want to have a reasonable debate about it.

People tend to forget it takes two sides to make a deal.
I can be removed from the discussion because I'm pointing out that Microsoft has been coasting off the same IPs that were started on the original Xbox almost 20 years ago at this point? There are a couple outliers like Sea of Thieves and Crackdown but I can't even imagine what would happen to Obsidian if Microsoft acquired them if they're not working on Fable. They're much better off doing the occasional crowdfunding project and work for hire.

Last edited:
Probably because people remember what they did to RARE. It’s hard to forget.

At the time, it was akin to buying Rockstar and then turning them into an Xbox avatar creator and Kinect studio.

To be fair they just came out with a new IP and are giving fully supporting the game with free content. I didn't think it was that great originally but I want to get back into it. I also loved Kameo and Viva Pinata but both did not have commercial success. So yes they have struggled and then put onto Kinect games but I think moving forward Phil Spencer is going to give them more creative freedom and more support. However one of the problems that they cannot really fix are some of the key original members left Rare many years ago.

The bottom line is we all need to stop thinking what happened before will keep happening. Finally Phil Spencer has full confidence and support from the CEO and improved the status of the Xbox division. Phil now has a main seat at the table and gaming is one is one of the key pillars at Microsoft.

I can be removed from the discussion because I'm pointing out that Microsoft has been coasting off the same IPs that were started on the original Xbox almost 20 years ago at this point? There are a couple outliers like Sea of Thieves and Crackdown but I can't even imagine what would happen to Obsidian if Microsoft acquired them if they're not working on Fable. They're much better off doing the occasional crowdfunding project and work for hire.

Of course you can't imagine, that's why I say your opinion doesn't really matter at the end of the day because this is more about your ability to continue buying their games on Steam or your PS4 than what they may bring to the table. Like I said, remove the Microsoft haters and those who never planned on getting an Xbox next generation no matter what and then we can have a civil discussion. If all you do is add poison to the conversation then where is that going to get us? You don't like Windows, you don't like the Windows store, you don't seem interested in the Xbox console, so what do we hope to accomplish by talking about this?

At the end of the day deals like this take two sides to agree, thankfully you have no input in that.

Last edited:

Corrik

Um...yeah, no. The rumor comes from someone with a pretty great track record as far as inside information. He did mention that he isn't as sure about this one as he was about Playground Games being acquired (he also broke that story before the official announcement, too) but, there's enough information there for him to mention it.

Try Googling some shit, next time breh...
It is literally a random on the Era forums.

We banned a person on our gaming forums who had more information Pre-E3 about Microsoft acquisitions.

dirthead

Banned

You know, I probably dislike Sony even more than Microsoft.

Top Bottom