• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is publishing Minecraft: Wii U Edition in Japan

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/3e95bff1-974f-11e5-87cc-0a6d14145cb1.html

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=188258834&postcount=627

https://twitter.com/lite_agent/status/673934050315386882

Well, hell has frozen over, first we have Sony Computer Entertainment allowing a series they own the trademark of to appear on 3DS despite the Vita existing, now we have Microsoft publishing a game on Wii U in at least Japan, again, on a direct competitor's console.

But also...

Microsoft will need an extra category on their Japanese site:

http://www.xbox.com/ja-jp/Search?q=minecraft

:p

Who's publishing it in America???

Anyone but Nicalis will suffice.

Guymelef

Not only the JP version.
VzDnixi.jpg

And a hypothetical Minecraft 2 for PS4/NX would be published by MS. Sony is publishing PS version because this was before MS bought the IP.

Not only the JP version.
VzDnixi.jpg

And a hypothetical Minecraft 2 for PS4/NX would be published by MS. Sony is publishing PS version because this was before MS bought the IP.

I thought of that, but no mention of MS publishing the Wii U version has been made so far officially.

Edit: Pretty sure MC PS4 just came out in Japan and that's still by Sony.

Effect

MS should just put Rare games on the NX/WiiU VC lol

They really should. That's where the audience for those games anyway. Microsoft would likely profit off them a LOT more. Rare has really put Microsoft in an interesting position.

Who'd thought Microsoft would be going third party before Nintendo?

HEEH.

onQ123 missed this post.

Microsoft have said in the past that they won't limit Minecraft sales to MS owned platforms only, in addition to PC, following their purchase of Mojang, so this comes as no surprise.

Effect

onQ123 missed this post.

Microsoft have said in the past that they won't limit Minecraft sales to MS owned platforms only, in addition to PC, following their purchase of Mojang, so this comes as no surprise.

It's also not the first time Microsoft has done this with Nintendo. They've released games on the GBA and I think DS before. If anything Nintendo and Microsoft have a positive relationship.

Well there was a Halo game in development for the DS.

So not so outlandish.

And there was supposed to be some sort of cross play with DS and 360 for Viva Piñata.

Totilo speculates that it seems like a perfect marketing opportunity, using the kid-beloved DS to draw a rated-E crowd towards the Xbox 360, which is still struggling to latch onto a younger market. According to designer Justin Cook, the death of this unlikely pairing wasn't necessarily due to internal politics between competitors Microsoft and Nintendo, as you might assume, but rather because Rare simply didn't implement cross-platform play in time for the release.

http://www.1up.com/news/rare-considered-ds360-connectivity-viva

Dynasty

onQ123 missed this post.

This but MS owned platforms will probably get priority and special treatment in tehe future.

Khrno

Never would I ever see the day that Microsoft would publish a game on a Nintendo platform.

Halo 6 NX confirmed.

Given that they have released several games they own, published by THQ or others, this doesn´t really surprise me, they even make more money publishing them themselves instead of paying a different publisher do it.

What I would really be surprised of is seeing a SCE published game on Nintendo consoles.

It's also not the first time Microsoft has done this with Nintendo. They've released games on the GBA and I think DS before. If anything Nintendo and Microsoft have a positive relationship.

THQ published all of their western games on Nintendo handhelds. Only exceptions were anything Japanese-related, and really that was just Blue Dragon Plus and BD Awakened Shadow by AQ/Ignition and BN/D3 respectively.

Just wondering.. does this mean MS would have access to NX prototypes? Because you would want Minecraft on NX especially on launch/near launch.

Given that they have released several games they own, published by THQ or others, this doesn´t really surprise me, they even make more money publishing them themselves instead of paying a different publisher do it.

What I would really be surprised of is seeing a SCE published game on Nintendo consoles.

Well Sony did publish a tonne of games on the SNES

Just wondering.. does this mean MS would have access to NX prototypes? Because you would want Minecraft on NX especially on launch/near launch.

Well, this is like a very special case, I mean we may very well see Minecraft very early on NX by Mojang or Microsoft directly (likely the former), but I dunno.

The digital version on the PlayStation platforms is published by Mojang in Japan.

Honestly, who cares.

So why not at retail and why is MS doing it here then and not Mojang?

Keyouta

Don't see the huge news in this. Microsoft owns the IP and they also publish their own games so I don't see why you'd expect otherwise.

Takao

Banned
Edit: Pretty sure MC PS4 just came out in Japan and that's still by Sony.

Minecraft came out on PS4 in Japan last December and it was published by Mojang. The physical versions are published by Sony (globally, might I add), but who else would publish them? If there is a physical version for the Wii U release in Japan, it probably won't be by Mojang or Microsoft directly.

Well, this is like a very special case, I mean we may very well see Minecraft very early on NX by Mojang or Microsoft directly (likely the former), but I dunno.

So why not at retail and why is MS doing it here then and not Mojang?

PS3/4 versions were released before MS bought it, and Vita version came just a few weeks later, and by that point, it'd be strange to change the publisher.

Top Bottom