• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is teaming up with Gamestop to sell Xbox All Access (monthly payments) in over 5,000 stores worldwide.

GameStop announced today a multi-year strategic partnership agreement with Microsoft. Under the terms of the deal, GameStop is now an authorized dealer for the Xbox All Access program, which provides an Xbox console and a 24-month pass for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate for no cost upfront.

The agreement further involves what GameStop refers to as a “transformation,” where its individual stores will upgrade to take advantage of Microsoft’s suite of business applications and portable devices.

Now, when you walk into a GameStop store, the sales associates will be equipped with Surface tablets for searching purposes, working with Microsoft Teams, and running the back end with Microsoft’s cloud-based Dynamics 365 suite of applications. In fact, by the terms of the deal as written in GameStop’s press release, it looks less like a partnership and more like Microsoft is sponsoring GameStop as one would a softball team.

“For many years GameStop has been a strong go-to market partner for our gaming products, and we are excited about continuing and evolving that relationship for the launch of the Xbox Series X|S,” Microsoft Xbox chief Phil Spencer said in a statement. “GameStop’s extensive store base, focus on digital transformation in an omni-channel environment and expert gamer associates remain an important part of our gaming ecosystem, and we’re pleased to elevate our partnership.”

This may be a big deal. Multiple countries will be able to get an Xbox Series X or Series S with no down-payment and pay things off in 24 months. Gamepass will be included and I assume that like with the One X game bundles will also eventually be included.

This will help with buyers having financial difficulties during the pandemic and may also help in poorer nations.

~$20 a month for two years with an Xbox Series X at $500 and gamepass is free already included in the price that's a pretty good deal for the price cautious gamer.

sol_bad

I just realised I'll have to import a Series X from America. My PS4 is my region A player but I'll give that away when I get my PS5.
I assume it will be universal in terms of power supply?

sublimit

Banned
I wonder if that is a good idea for Gamestop (or any retailer) in the long term. I mean i totally understand teaming up with them for the series X but helping them sell series S will probably bite them in the ass in the long term.

Of course the same would apply for the PS5 all-digital as well.

saintjules

I'll have to read thoroughly, but will Citizens One still be the Bank for All Access? All in all it's still subject to approval for that line of credit. The good news is that it's a soft check under that Bank, so your credit doesn't take a hit if you get declined.

Quadpay is also good option for breaking up payments under a 6 week term. Something Gamestop also offers.

Microsoft closed its retail locations so this makes sense.

To be fair GS was already the biggest All Access partner before this expansion when Microsoft still had stores. But it seems that MS is actually providing GS with tablets and the like so I wouldn't be surprised if MS doesn't buy GS outright at some point.

VAVA Mk2

To be fair GS was already the biggest All Access partner before this expansion when Microsoft still had stores. But it seems that MS is actually providing GS with tablets and the like so I wouldn't be surprised if MS doesn't buy GS outright at some point.
It was either that or let GS continue its slow, miserable death.

Cool. Now can I preorder a Series X now?

I don't need it launch day. Just let me go the through the process of signing up now and stick me on a waiting list. Send it whenever. I want one, but I don't want to work for it.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
The fact that they have already closed MS stores and Gamestop is already on the downward spiral I'm not sure this does much to save GS long-term. It might make them viable for the remainder of the upcoming generation. Which is probably good enough for MS.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
This could be a good deal for xbox. If my kids mom went in to get them a ps5 and they pushed this. A series s is what they would get.

Pallas

I know it’s kind of off topic but when E3 2013 happened, Microsoft pretty much signed GameStop’s death certificate before reversing course, now they are pretty much trying to save the sinking ship.

I think it’s a good idea though, it allows a bigger audience for your platform and it’s affordable.

DavidGzz

I feel better about the Gamestop where I preordered my XSX and PS5 not shutting down in the next month now.

The Alien

Banned
Slick deal by Microsoft. For Microsoft, its a small financial expense with little risk.

This benefit gets more consoles and subscriptions in gamers hands. Gamestop helps push Microsoft while getting a needed infusion from a wealthy backer. A lifeline.

This is why they are closing them. No one ever really bought much. It was always just people hanging out playing games and looking at Surface devices.

Actually that was their whole point. It was supposed to be a spot you hung out and brought stuff in and to get people interested in the ecosystem, that's why the stores that will remain will be converted to experience centers.

It is not clear with conflicting statements, about why Microsoft decided to close their stores, but it may be because they are tightening their relationship with GS.

Really ? all MS stores are closed ?

I always liked going to MS stores.... just go and play games and check out Laptops.

Not all, but the ones that are left will be converted into experience centers so yeah, now that I think about it it's technically still all lol.

ethomaz

Banned
I thought the financial think was really a bad deal.

Here in Brasil we have the terrible prices but you can buy them in 24 x 208 (5000)... no add tax.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good to see console gaming get into installments. Gaming isn't the same as getting furniture, cars, or expensive $1000 phones, but the more access the better.

If someone can go on a 12 or 24 month payment plan at a furniture store for a patio set, why can't console makers or stores ever do the same?

Maybe it has to do gamers being stereotyped as being dickish scamming the system and they are afraid people will take home the console and disappear without paying.

Last edited:

xn0

Maybe during this partnership Microsoft will work with GameStop to fix their typical in person purchasing experience...

Customer: I'd like to sign up for the Xbox All Access Program
GS Employee: Certainly, lets get that started... Can I get your phone number...
Customer: <redacted>
GS Employee: Oh I see your PowerUP Rewards membership has lapsed would you like to renew?
Customer: No
GS Employee: Ok are you sure? You'd get 500 pts on used games and 12 issues of Game Informer.
Customer: I'm sure
GS Employee: Would you like to preorder any games?
GS Employee: Would you like to purchase any Used Games as we have a special going on 3 for $15
GS Employee: Are you planning on trading in any games within the next month?
GS Employee: Are you interested in signing up for our Specials Newsletter where you can receive deals on games and collectible Pop! figurines?
GS Employee: Would you like to purchase additional insurance on your All Access Program's Xbox hardware?
Customer: No, does that even make sense???
GS Employee: Probably not but we are required to ask.

Actually that was their whole point. It was supposed to be a spot you hung out and brought stuff in and to get people interested in the ecosystem, that's why the stores that will remain will be converted to experience centers.

That was certainly part of the plan, but they also expected the stores to drive sales.

Basically, they wanted to replicate the Apple Store model. Which is why they even basically cloned the Apple Stores initially, and in a lot of locations, placed the MS Store directly across the hall from Apple stores.

It didn’t play out the way they wanted - while Apple stores are some of the most profitable retail spaces per square foot (even beating out luxury retailers that have profit margins per item that are in the thousands of percent), the Microsoft stores just weren't moving much product. The MS stores basically became a REALLY expensive advertising channel. One that had a staff of workers that had to be paid.

Last edited:
That was certainly part of the plan, but they also expected the stores to drive sales.

Which is why I said "and brought stuff" in the post you quoted.

However I doubt it's about profit and more about operation, they close down their stores and move right to GS with GS having MS products and even using them.

To paraphrase a car salesman I once met,

"Honestly, looking at the price, I can't see how you can afford to not buy this car Xbox All Access."

I didn't buy the car. Turns out I could afford it just fine, in fact it was completely free!

If that would lead to them setting up Series system cabinets at those locations and "arcade-ify" them for in-person play, that'd be pretty awesome. Throw a Wendy's or Marco's Pizza up in there, some cigarette butts on the ground and that one suspect thief in the back corner looking to snatch some quarters and we're back to the good ol' days xD.

No seriously tho, I do think it'd be cool if MS and GS could leverage the floorspace in that kind of way. Arcade-like play kiosks with some other cool stuff in the shops would be neat.

If that would lead to them setting up Series system cabinets at those locations and "arcade-ify" them for in-person play, that'd be pretty awesome. Throw a Wendy's or Marco's Pizza up in there, some cigarette butts on the ground and that one suspect thief in the back corner looking to snatch some quarters and we're back to the good ol' days xD.

No seriously tho, I do think it'd be cool if MS and GS could leverage the floorspace in that kind of way. Arcade-like play kiosks with some other cool stuff in the shops would be neat.

It depends, some Gamestop stores are like shack pawn shops in size so those wouldn't be able to do much of anything but many could be converted, have some demos and such. They'd still have to give space to Sony and others though if they were to do this or it could become an issue.

$~$20 a month for $500 Xbox Series X
$12.5 a month for $300 Series S

That's a steal, and gamepass 24 month is included with both.

Here at EU It is 24.99€ and 34.99€ aka 29.5$ and 41.3$ (Microsoft official pricing)

Fucking expensive if anything.

They should have lower, not higher, price on eu where they are weaker.

20$ should be like 15-18€

And title is missleading, it is not around the world when Nordics dont have game stops anymore.

Last edited:

Tmack

I thought the financial think was really a bad deal.

Here in Brasil we have the terrible prices but you can buy them in 24 x 208 (5000)... no add tax.

That`s why the comparable price is R$ 4.500 (one payment in most stores) and not the "official" R$ 5.000. Still bad, tho.

FrankWza

I was in GameStop a few months back and someone came in trying to buy a Nintendo card and the manager said they reached their daily allowance and he couldn’t sell anymore that day and told the customer to try another gamestop. I asked why and he said that there’s a scam out there or something with digital cards. I wonder if this falls in that digital category and if they’ll loosen the restrictions.

reinking

Gold Member
Guys. Am I blind? I am still not seeing that price listed. Even the GS website still list it as $24.99/$34.99. If I can get the Series X for $20 a month for two years sign me up. It will save me $20 off the cost and free game pass maybe.

Jigga117

So GameStop becoming like rent a center for gaming. Sounds bad, but probably the only hope for them at this point.
How do you equate this to rent a center? This is no different then getting approved for a Best Buy card for no interest for 12-24 months

Barakov

Gold Member

This may be a big deal. Multiple countries will be able to get an Xbox Series X or Series S with no down-payment and pay things off in 24 months. Gamepass will be included and I assume that like with the One X game bundles will also eventually be included.

This will help with buyers having financial difficulties during the pandemic and may also help in poorer nations.

~$20 a month for two years with an Xbox Series X at $500 and gamepass is free already included in the price that's a pretty good deal for the price cautious gamer.
No thanks.

G-Bus

Banned
If this works for Canada and EB games I just might go and pick up an S for Christmas.

Never owned an Xbox before.

Kagey K

Banned

It is not clear with conflicting statements, about why Microsoft decided to close their stores, but it may be because they are tightening their relationship with GS.
That’s why COVID likely has a lot to do with them closing it. They can’t have people in there touching all the stuff, and hanging out for day long tournaments and whatnot.

It completely destroys the atmosphere they set inside the store.

I was hoping to go there for Series X launch since they gave me so much swag with the XB1 on launch night, but sadly that’s not to be.

Kagey K

Banned
If this works for Canada and EB games I just might go and pick up an S for Christmas.

Never owned an Xbox before.
EB Canada is a participant with it, I don’t know now what the pricing looks like though. I’d imagine it’s about 25% higher/month than the US.

Kings fan

Edit:
Just realized the OP post is a little misleading...

To get to the "$20/month = XSX cost" this is factoring the cost of gamepass at $15/month, although who really pays for gamepass at full price...

With that kind of math you a justifying paying $360 for 2 years of gamepass (yikes). With the gold conversion deal you can get 3 years for ~$100...

Last edited:
The $20/mo pricing for series x does not make sense, highly doubt that is the correct pricing.

Why would anyone pay in full for an xbox if you can get it cheaper WITH gamepass (24 months x $20 = $480 vs $500 upfront)...

It's not $20/mo for the Series X though. It is $24.99/mo for the Series S and $34.99/mo for the Series X.

Apeopleman

That’s why COVID likely has a lot to do with them closing it. They can’t have people in there touching all the stuff, and hanging out for day long tournaments and whatnot.

It completely destroys the atmosphere they set inside the store.

I was hoping to go there for Series X launch since they gave me so much swag with the XB1 on launch night, but sadly that’s not to be.
The most upsetting this about this COVID-19 thing is that no midnight launch parties in major cities and such. I love the environment, the people, the tournaments and the gifts.

Anyone remmeber NYC in summer 2008 when he signed MGS4 copies at virgin megastore?

or in 2013 for ps4s launch in NYC when her men hulst and guerilla games was there?

Top Bottom