• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is teaming up with Gamestop to sell Xbox All Access (monthly payments) in over 5,000 stores worldwide.

How do you equate this to rent a center? This is no different then getting approved for a Best Buy card for no interest for 12-24 months
Perhaps I misunderstood the plan, but it seems like a rent to own model that renta center did. You take the product home and pay x monthly installments then it’s yours to keep.

Not really like rent a center as you are locked into an extended length contract. It also doesn't have the extreme mark-up of those type of stores where you are paying way above the MSRP by the time you've paid enough to own it.

In some way, All Access is a bargain if you didn't do the $1 conversion for GamePass Ultimate and can be an overall savings if you didn't.

Kagey K

Banned
Not at the moment there isn't. Im worried that I wont be able to find a PS5 or XSX until next year.
Yeah if you don’t have a preorder in already it could be tough. I’m not sure if MS is setting consoles aside for this program or if it’s going to be sometime next year before we really see this program in full swing.

reinking

Gold Member
I'd love it if I could do it without credit.
They still run a credit check. It is not Game Stop (or any other outlet including MS) that is financing All Access. It is a bank called Citizens One that provides the financing. Basically, if you qualify for any other store CC you will qualify for All Access.

So GameStop becoming like rent a center for gaming. Sounds bad, but probably the only hope for them at this point.

nothing like Rent a Center at all.

You can buy an Xbox S for $200 brand new. To pay one out at Rent a Center is almost $900 😆😆😆 And that doesn’t even include GamePass or XBLG.

InDaGulag

Sounds nice and all but at this rate GameStop will be gone within 2-3 years. They should bring this program to other more financially secure stores like Walmart and Best Buy if they already haven't done so.

chonga

When you read the press release from GameStop I don't think this is anything new. I mean we know they've been doing All Access for a bit now.

It kind of reads to me as an example of how they already work together and are best buddies and so the new deal surrounding the back end systems in place makes sense.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yeah if you don’t have a preorder in already it could be tough. I’m not sure if MS is setting consoles aside for this program or if it’s going to be sometime next year before we really see this program in full swing.
The only thing I am worried about is that Microsoft is going to prioritize payment plan buyers over outright buyers.
I’ve said it 100 times, I wish Sony and MS when ordering directly from them would have given first dibs on preorders to those who had been on LIVE/PS+ for the longest.
But I’m glad that people on this page were able to secure multiple preorders while people like me who work a full time job can’t be online all day with a credit card ready to order. Despite the fact that I was for XSX. I’m still hopeful that I’ll be able to pick one of them up before Thanksgiving.

Last edited:

ToadMan

Blockbuster bull vs. bear battle setting up on GameStop

Some points from the link :

• Analyst Curtis Nagle also points out that the Xbox offering is not exclusive to GameStop and is available through Microsoft directly, Best Buy, Target and Walmart. For now, GameStop doesn't have a partnership Sony, which outsells MSFT by 18% for consoles and nearly double the amount of software.
  • Credit Suisse analyst Seth Sigman is still concerned about the long-term implications for GameStop.
  • "The profit share helps but may not be incremental versus lost sales/profit from the shift to digital. And, more digital also still means less preowned [games], the largest profit and loyalty driver [for GameStop]," he advises.
  • The sharpest critique came from Benchmark.
  • "We believe the substance in the press release was hollow; the stock was halted, $0 deal math was offered and there was no investor conference call... We suspect Microsoft is taking advantage of GameStop’s desperation, forcing them to share in subscription sales as their core market evaporates...We do not believe sharing in revenue from a game-subscription model will offset the loss of physical," warns analyst Mike Hickey.

Jigga117

Perhaps I misunderstood the plan, but it seems like a rent to own model that renta center did. You take the product home and pay x monthly installments then it’s yours to keep.
No rent to own they slap on surcharges and interest. Again like the Best Buy card you buy the product take it home and pay no interest for 24 months.

Jigga117

You shouldn't. Cash in hand is always preferable. With zero cost to use someone else's money, always use someone elses money. You never know when an expense will pop up so its better to use the deal.
Exactly it is amazing people still don't get this concept today and thats how you also build credit on a credit card. Buy groceries on a credit card and you have the money you spend on it and 28 days pay that balance off. Keep doing that and your on your way to a black card.

Jigga117

Sounds nice and all but at this rate GameStop will be gone within 2-3 years. They should bring this program to other more financially secure stores like Walmart and Best Buy if they already haven't done so.
It has already been available at other locations prior to Gamestop

reinking

Gold Member
That's not how it works at all. Also from what I gather it's a soft check.
Q: Will my credit be impacted when I apply for a Citizens One Line of Credit?

A: Citizens One reserves the right to perform a credit inquiry as needed to determine Line of Credit eligibility.

I mean, I guess you can call it a soft check but they "reserve the right" to do a credit inquiry. Not sure how it would impact someone with zero credit as the person I was responding to had concerns about that.

BTW, still waiting for you to show me where you got those prices. I am interested in cancelling my pre-order and saving $20 over the cost of the console since $20x24 only comes out to $480.

Q: Will my credit be impacted when I apply for a Citizens One Line of Credit?

A: Citizens One reserves the right to perform a credit inquiry as needed to determine Line of Credit eligibility.

I mean, I guess you can call it a soft check but they "reserve the right" to do a credit inquiry. Not sure how it would impact someone with zero credit as the person I was responding to had concerns about that.

BTW, still waiting for you to show me where you got those prices. I am interested in cancelling my pre-order and saving $20 over the cost of the console since $20x24 only comes out to $480.

Do you want gamepass?

Well if you live in US and don't want gamepass SOME retailers let you have it cheaper from what I gather, but not MS store directly. But the box store has the links to the other dealers and you can just see if one with cheaper prices is nearby you.

Ten_Fold

$35 a month for the series X, if you got decent credit isn’t bad at all for people who can’t pay $500+ for a new system and games. Good on them for going with GameStop.

They still run a credit check. It is not Game Stop (or any other outlet including MS) that is financing All Access. It is a bank called Citizens One that provides the financing. Basically, if you qualify for any other store CC you will qualify for All Access.
And it sucks because I don't have any credit lol but at the same time that's a good thing too I suppose, better than a bad credit score.

reinking

Gold Member
And it sucks because I don't have any credit lol but at the same time that's a good thing too I suppose, better than a bad credit score.
If you have no credit it probably would not hurt to apply. D Digital Gex seems to know more about this particular situation than me. I just know that banks typically run a credit check but some store credit cards (all are financed through other lenders) have a lower bar for point of entry. That is why I added that if you qualify for any other store CC you will probably qualify for All Access.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Microsoft and Gamestop have to clean up their store, marketing it resembles a clusterfuck that's not what you wanna be, if it a team thing with Gamestop they better learn each other quickly before next gen consoles come out. /MicDrop.

A lot of banks will pass you on no credit because it's "neutral" and want to help you start building although there are many things you can't do. The only credit that prevents approval is bad credit or good credit with too many open accounts.

The myth of no credit has been pushed for years and years so that peoples first credit is usually college loans or other loans. Don't fall for it.

Top Bottom