• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is working on a new Xbox 'Career' system with levels and Avatar loot crates(Windows central).

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-career-system
The new Career system could be the extended Gamerscore system Ybarra teased to us in a previous interview, where he noted that Gamerscore doesn't fairly represent the accomplishments of esports players or other gamers who might spend the majority of their time in a single game. This new Xbox Career feature might alleviate that.

It appears that players using this new Career system will be able to obtain levels, and even prestige ranks, obtaining rewards such as loot crates which come with cosmetic items for the new Avatars system.

The Career system also comes with Quests to complete specific objectives, such as playing certain games, which will also come with crate and experience points as rewards. At this time, it doesn't look as though loot crates will be purchasable with real money, but it's probably too early to say whether that will be the case later on.
The documentation we received refers to a new subdomain on Xbox Live, "Career.XboxLive.com," which isn't yet available for public access. It also seems that these systems will incorporate achievements in some way, rewarding experience points that contribute toward levels in your overarching career. The systems track your progress and play time in your existing game library, and it looks as though it will all work alongside existing Gamerscore systems rather than replace them.

Was it really necessary for Microsoft to make a progression system out of achievements? I always thought achievements and trophies on their own were enough to keep players loyal to a platform and dive into more games than they would have otherwise.

Personally I don't actually see them as having any tangible benefit to the players playing games - making achievements into a levelling/progression/career system sounds even more like Microsoft isn't really focused on growing their install base but on increasing the engagement metric.

If Windows Centrals' report is correct down to the name of the progression system, I also ask whether they could have picked a word less grindy than Career? At least they are honest that engaging with Xbox as a platform may well feel like work...

I like my Xbox One S but I feel like Microsoft is obsessed with chasing metrics which aren't actually important to the long-term health of the platform. Switch's success has proved these metrics aren't important for growth, at the very least.

Last edited:

Alx

I'd be happy to get avatar rewards again. In the past I rarely used them (except when they were hilarious, like the Earthworm Jim suit), but it's always a nice touch to have game related content.
And by the way, when will we be able to try those new avatars ?

XP and stuff doesn't bother me, there's already similar stuff in the Ubisoft club. The small gifts you can get are fine (bonus in-game credits, character costumes, ...), but XP is just another bar to fill.
Random loot crates ? Yeah, whatever...

Last edited:
I could see this working as a side load to the existing Achievements system, provided Microsoft can get third parties on board.

As it was already mentioned, Ubisoft already does something like this...but EA or Rockstar could utilize this...

Calibos

Necessary? No. Cool with me yes. Why not have career stats and levels at a system level? We are all gamers...Looking forward to see what they come up with for Veterans of the service.

Also, Nintendo and the Switch have proven they don’t need shit because they have the “timeless” classic IPs and they always have attractive, innovative hardware.

Alx

I guess the new avatars will release at the latest for E3 2018 (otherwise it would be a bummer), so hopefully preview members will have a taste of it before Spring. It's a good sign that info is starting to leak, things might not be too far away...

Was it really necessary for Microsoft to make a progression system out of achievements? I always thought achievements and trophies on their own were enough to keep players loyal to a platform and dive into more games than they would have otherwise.

Personally I don't actually see them as having any tangible benefit to the players playing games - making achievements into a levelling/progression/career system sounds even more like Microsoft isn't really focused on growing their install base but on increasing the engagement metric.

If Windows Centrals' report is correct down to the name of the progression system, I also ask whether they could have picked a word less grindy than Career? At least they are honest that engaging with Xbox as a platform may well feel like work...

I like my Xbox One S but I feel like Microsoft is obsessed with chasing metrics which aren't actually important to the long-term health of the platform. Switch's success has proved these metrics aren't important for growth, at the very least.
You underestimate human nature and people's desire to acquire things. This like any carrot on a stick will suck xbox users right in.

Regarding your switch comment, I think it's a poor example. The switch is popular right now because 1) it's a brand new next gen console which youre comparing to the One that has been out for years, and 2) nintendo released two games from its biggest franchises within 6 months of the console coming out. Zelda was absent from the wii u, and I'd argue the last zelda skyward sword was a disappointment for many. Also people have been clamoring for a mario 64 style game for years. So i don't think the switch example works very well. I'd wait and compare the switch to whatever Microsoft's next system is down the road, hopefully a release that isn't sabotaged by its own negative press before release. Kinect is gone and MS won't make the mistake of producing an inferior console with its next system.

MADGAME

I guess this is good for those who want progression systems and loot crates in their achievements? Personally I think these resources would be better spent on game development of some kind.

Blam

I feel like microsoft wanted the player to feel more rewarded then just hitting 1000/1000 for finishing a game so they came up with this. Which I do very much like honestly. It pushes more people to finish their games to get something cool for their avatars.

Artistic

Outside of Kinect 2.0 games, haven't seen where Avatars are prevalent on XB1.

Xbox Careers sounds cool though.

JimboJones

Good that there working on something to spice things up, the old trophies/achievement systems kinda lose relevance once you you amass a certain amount, it's just a contantly growing number in the background, at least that's how it felt for me.

Last edited:

Alx

Outside of Kinect 2.0 games, haven't seen where Avatars are prevalent on XB1.

They're not (except for appearing on your activity feed). But it will be an opportunity to change that.
Also I suppose there's a reason they insisted on the fact that the new avatars were using Unity, it should make it easy for ID@Xbox developers to include them in their games.

Harlock

Make 2007 real

home-20070307013706138.jpg

Rellik

I actually like(d) avatars when I had an Xbox 360/One and it's something I slightly miss that I'm no longer on those systems. But that's because I'm a sucker for character creation, even when it's just to dance around your OS.

I miss my mullet guy with the Wei Shen vest/tattoos and Portal gun 😔

Last edited:

DryvBy

Looks like a step in the right direction. I've always loved leveling up my PSN profile because I'm a sucker for anything RPG.

Relativ9

Don't have an xbox, but this seems like the most obvious thing to include in all of the platforms like this in hindsight. I still remember when achievements were first talked about and people were saying they would include reward points that you could put towards new games and dlc and cosmetic items, massive potential.

Shifty

Sounds like a hot mess in the making.

Reminds me of when Twitter got to the point of doing everything it needed to, then started adding more and more useless fluff until the platform became a bloated mess.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
I always assumed the Xbox One would debut with an evolved trophy and profile system to differentiate it from PSN as still ahead of the curve. Seems a little late but it would be nice if Microsoft could innovate a bit on your online presence.

EBE

Bolivar687 Bolivar687 well if you'll recall, it kinda did with community achievements that were in fact linked to various in game and Avatar/gamer pic rewards. Dead rising 3, zoo tycoon, ryse, and even later (first party) games like state of decay yose all featured these new achievements. They were promptly abandoned but I believe the back end is still there for devs to make use of. Maybe they'll make a return, too

Last edited:

-MD-

This will definitely make me buy an Xbox again, who needs new games when you can outfit a sweet avatar?

Top Bottom