• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Platform Microsoft issues update on Flight Simulator 2020 Xbox One release

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Dec 1, 2014
ibiza

Microsoft recently hosted a virtual press briefing for its upcoming Flight Simulator release, and while the Xbox One version was off-limits, we did learn more about how it relates to PC. The group Q&A touched on its Xbox One development, and whether the near decade-old hardware has held back the scope of the project.

"No. We are trying to have the best visuals on every single platform, and it's another layer of optimization," said Martial Bossard, lead software engineer at Asobo Studio. "By the way, the Xbox will help us to optimize the product, so it will also be a benefit for PC. There is nothing PC will lose from the Xbox. It's basically the opposite. We're doing the work to have a better experience on the Xbox family, then we will improve the PC version at the same time."

It suggests a comparable core simulation headed to Xbox, treating its old console akin to a low-end PC. It follows almost one year of closed-alpha community testing on PC, intending to nail optimizations for launch.

Dec 29, 2018
How much more work will this be for a developer to have a game across 3 platforms and perform well on each one of them.

And will this game take full advantage of each platform?

Freeman

Banned
Aug 23, 2013
Noice. At least if the normal version doesn't run well on my PC the downgraded one might.

Abear21

Banned
Apr 11, 2020
Good to hear they will get this running on all hardware possible. I had my doubts but after watching the DF video it seems it scales nicely. Good news for Xbox today!

Last edited:

Banjo64

Dec 8, 2020
I keep seeing "it's just wire meshes, drawings, etc.." It is all of these things, but it's drawings and meshes of little girls fucking panties and shit. You can all the mental gymnastics you like to try and justify it's place in our society, but it has none.

For the people bringing up cuties, you obviously haven't looked into the fact that the show is an attempt to shine a spotlight on the sexualization of these minors, not to celebrate it.
Eyes What GIF

MilkLizard

Feb 28, 2011
I keep seeing "it's just wire meshes, drawings, etc.." It is all of these things, but it's drawings and meshes of little girls fucking panties and shit. You can all the mental gymnastics you like to try and justify it's place in our society, but it has none.

For the people bringing up cuties, you obviously haven't looked into the fact that the show is an attempt to shine a spotlight on the sexualization of these minors, not to celebrate it.

Someone spiked your eggnog dude

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Dec 1, 2014
ibiza

The first firm news of console versions came last December, though only Xbox Series S and X were confirmed to be coming this year. That doesn't rule out an Xbox One version, though. "I guess it's a timing thing," Neumann says when asked about Microsoft's older console. "Obviously memory matters. Certainly on Ultra settings, you need a big PC - well, that's a lot, lot more memory than what you had on an Xbox One. So it's a journey, like most things, you know - let's get the Xbox Series X and S versions done, and then we'll look ahead after that. We never close doors, and there are other options, though it's a little bit too early to talk about it."

While stopping short of a confirmation, an xCloud streaming version of Microsoft Flight Simulator for Xbox One makes a lot of sense (as well as inviting some terrible puns about the power of the clouds, of course) - and when it comes to the confirmed console versions, it seems the intent is to keep the Microsoft Flight Simulator experience as intact as possible.

"I mean, it has to be very similar," says Neumann. "Is it the exact same? Well, it can't be the exact same because that's not operable. I think that the beautiful dream that Phil [Spencer] and the team at Xbox has is that you can bomb devices, which is really what we're doing. We're learning where people might have some friction points. We think there's going to be more newcomers on Xbox, so you just need to be gentle in how you guide people into the experience, and there's work going on there.