• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft issues update on Flight Simulator 2020 Xbox One release

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Microsoft recently hosted a virtual press briefing for its upcoming Flight Simulator release, and while the Xbox One version was off-limits, we did learn more about how it relates to PC. The group Q&A touched on its Xbox One development, and whether the near decade-old hardware has held back the scope of the project.

"No. We are trying to have the best visuals on every single platform, and it's another layer of optimization," said Martial Bossard, lead software engineer at Asobo Studio. "By the way, the Xbox will help us to optimize the product, so it will also be a benefit for PC. There is nothing PC will lose from the Xbox. It's basically the opposite. We're doing the work to have a better experience on the Xbox family, then we will improve the PC version at the same time."

It suggests a comparable core simulation headed to Xbox, treating its old console akin to a low-end PC. It follows almost one year of closed-alpha community testing on PC, intending to nail optimizations for launch.

How much more work will this be for a developer to have a game across 3 platforms and perform well on each one of them.

And will this game take full advantage of each platform?

Abear21

Banned
Good to hear they will get this running on all hardware possible. I had my doubts but after watching the DF video it seems it scales nicely. Good news for Xbox today!

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I keep seeing "it's just wire meshes, drawings, etc.." It is all of these things, but it's drawings and meshes of little girls fucking panties and shit. You can all the mental gymnastics you like to try and justify it's place in our society, but it has none.

For the people bringing up cuties, you obviously haven't looked into the fact that the show is an attempt to shine a spotlight on the sexualization of these minors, not to celebrate it.
Eyes What GIF

MilkLizard

I keep seeing "it's just wire meshes, drawings, etc.." It is all of these things, but it's drawings and meshes of little girls fucking panties and shit. You can all the mental gymnastics you like to try and justify it's place in our society, but it has none.

For the people bringing up cuties, you obviously haven't looked into the fact that the show is an attempt to shine a spotlight on the sexualization of these minors, not to celebrate it.

Someone spiked your eggnog dude

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The first firm news of console versions came last December, though only Xbox Series S and X were confirmed to be coming this year. That doesn't rule out an Xbox One version, though. "I guess it's a timing thing," Neumann says when asked about Microsoft's older console. "Obviously memory matters. Certainly on Ultra settings, you need a big PC - well, that's a lot, lot more memory than what you had on an Xbox One. So it's a journey, like most things, you know - let's get the Xbox Series X and S versions done, and then we'll look ahead after that. We never close doors, and there are other options, though it's a little bit too early to talk about it."

While stopping short of a confirmation, an xCloud streaming version of Microsoft Flight Simulator for Xbox One makes a lot of sense (as well as inviting some terrible puns about the power of the clouds, of course) - and when it comes to the confirmed console versions, it seems the intent is to keep the Microsoft Flight Simulator experience as intact as possible.

"I mean, it has to be very similar," says Neumann. "Is it the exact same? Well, it can't be the exact same because that's not operable. I think that the beautiful dream that Phil [Spencer] and the team at Xbox has is that you can bomb devices, which is really what we're doing. We're learning where people might have some friction points. We think there's going to be more newcomers on Xbox, so you just need to be gentle in how you guide people into the experience, and there's work going on there.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I can't see this running remotely stable on Xbox One, the hardware is trash and this game is super demanding
It is the most demanding piece of software we've come across to date. They will remove a LOT of features to get this to run acceptably @ 30FPS. If they shoot for 60FPS, it's not going to look good.

Lethal01

I think at this point we can tell XBO isn't so much a factor holding back next-gen dev when you have something as impressive as FS2020 releasing. And more damning, it just puts more of the onus on 343i being an incompetent studio as the reason Halo Infinite is in its current state.

We can't come to that conclussion at all. A Dev managing to make a version of an impressive game that runs on last gen really is not proof that last gen won't cause tons of good developers to be held back.

We can't come to that conclussion at all. A Dev managing to make a version of an impressive game that runs on last gen really is not proof that last gen won't cause tons of good developers to be held back.

But the other way to look at that is, if those devs are so good, why can't they optimize for last-gen while also optimizing for current-gen? We've seen some incredible devs back in the day manage unreal performance from hardware many considered underpowered, and in some cases those weren't even 1P devs.

Considering we have multiple devs (including ex-lead of Days Gone) stating that platforms like Series S in fact don't hold back game design or more powerful systems, and we have proof of successful cross-gen games like Miles Morales and (in the future) Horizon Forbidden West, I just don't buy the narrative that last-gen holds back devs unless those devs have terrible management and/or organization. See: 343i and CDPR.

But WRT FS, it doesn't really matter either way since it's PC/Series X/Series S-only.

I can't see this running remotely stable on Xbox One, the hardware is trash and this game is super demanding

Could've sworn the Xbox One version of this was cancelled :/

Last edited:

Alright

Banned
Weren't people and the media LITERALLY chastising MS for supporting XBO with cross-gen games up until it turned out Sony were doing it with some of their biggest games too and everyone just suddenly shut up about it? 🤷‍♂️
Maybe, i don't know? As soon as Spencer said all games are cross gen i laughed a little. I've got a 1x and gamepass, so i thought the next 18 months are 'free' next-gen gaming before I upgrade.

I'm not naive, I knew not all games were going to be cross-gen, it was impossible with the jump from HDD to SSD. I am a bit disappointed that it has started so soon though. I thought i would get a good 12-18 months in to the gen before thinking of upgrading. Hopefully the XSXX will be out by then.

Spokker

The previous news suggested it wasn't coming to Xbox One.

Notably, it sounds like the title won’t be coming to the Xbox One, One S, or One X — it’s described in the trailer as “coming to the all-new Xbox,” with Series S and Series X logos. That would make Microsoft Flight Simulator the first next-gen-exclusive Xbox Game Studios title;

But the UK rated it for Xbox One, not Series X/S. They know they are two separate consoles as evidenced by a dropdown box next to the search function. Could it be a mistake, or are they really going to try to cram this thing on an Xbox One S?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I have my Xbox One hooked up to a CRT monitor this is gonna look amazing!

• LOL
Reactions: GHG

Lethal01

But the other way to look at that is, if those devs are so good, why can't they optimize for last-gen while also optimizing for current-gen? We've seen some incredible devs back in the day manage unreal performance from hardware many considered underpowered, and in some cases those weren't even 1P devs.

Considering we have multiple devs (including ex-lead of Days Gone) stating that platforms like Series S in fact don't hold back game design or more powerful systems, and we have proof of successful cross-gen games like Miles Morales and (in the future) Horizon Forbidden West, I just don't buy the narrative that last-gen holds back devs unless those devs have terrible management and/or organization. See: 343i and CDPR.

But WRT FS, it doesn't really matter either way since it's PC/Series X/Series S-only.

It's not about if they can make something good, it's about if they would do better if not held back.
Miles Morales and Forbidden West would look more impressive if they weren't also being made for ps4. And It's not as simple as good dev vs bad dev. Different devs are put in different scenarios where the limitations of last gen could impact some more than others depending on what they are trying to do.

Last edited:

Schmick

It's not about if they can make something good, it's about if they would do better if not held back.
Miles Morales and Forbidden West would look more impressive if they weren't also being made for ps4
Not sure how FS could look any better.

It seems that games can indeed be downscaled to work on weaker hardware. Or at least Asobo can do it.

Maybe, i don't know? As soon as Spencer said all games are cross gen i laughed a little. I've got a 1x and gamepass, so i thought the next 18 months are 'free' next-gen gaming before I upgrade.

I'm not naive, I knew not all games were going to be cross-gen, it was impossible with the jump from HDD to SSD. I am a bit disappointed that it has started so soon though. I thought i would get a good 12-18 months in to the gen before thinking of upgrading. Hopefully the XSXX will be out by then.

An Xbox mid-gen refresh in 2022? Wouldn't count on it x3. That aside, when I heard Phil say those words I always took it with a grain of salt because something told me reaction from some gamers and the media especially would get them to reverse course. I think he said it shortly after their May event, or between that and the UE5 demo, or shortly after UE5 demo.

The perception formed from the optics of that was always going to be negatively interpreted even if it made some since financially, and obviously Sony thought it made sense too since they've adopted a similar strategy for some of their games. In fact in terms of 1P Sony has more cross-gen for this year and next than Microsoft does. In MS's case the optics got messy because people were still fretting over the Series S and it holding next-gen back (some still fret about it actually, even if it's needlessly so).

Personally I always thought making 100% of the 1P output cross-gen for two years was overkill, but the way the media and a lot of gamers reacted you'd think they hated the idea of ANY cross-gen support. So color me not shocked that when Sony tried downplaying (via lack of emphasis) that they were doing a good number of cross-gen titles themselves, where were the same media and gamers who chastised Microsoft earlier? You couldn't find them, they just pretended it was never a talking point they held xD. Pretty convenient.

It basically took until seeing Sony were doing cross-gen support for those sorts to accept the idea that last-gen hardware wasn't going to hold those games back, but they did their damndest to hold onto that belief when it came to Xbox. Admittedly, the Halo Infinite demo did Microsoft zero favors, but it's like these dudes forgot that we've had cases of cross-gen generations past where the last gen didn't hold the next-gen offerings back. I don't remember Forza Horizon 2 on XBO being held back by Horizon 2 on 360, or the then-next gen COD for PS4 and XBO being held back by the PS3 & 360 versions.

Sorry, little side rant there, I had to get it off my chest. I wouldn't be too fussed with MS scaling back on their cross-gen support, personally. You should see if you can do the All-Access upgrade program if you're interested in something like Series X, seems like it's a good option for those who want to use it. 1P-wise there isn't too much coming from MS you can't already play on PC like FS 2020, but the Xbox version might have some newer content. You're probably better off waiting until supply is more regular anyway, I can't understand how some people are able to camp online for drops the way they do :LOL:

Miles Morales and Forbidden West would look more impressive if they weren't also being made for ps4. And It's not as simple as good dev vs bad dev. Different devs are put in different scenarios where the limitations of last gen could impact some more than others depending on what they are trying to do.

And how do you know this? Do you know what the dev budget for those games were? What their team sizes and resources were? What their goals in terms of overall visual output/fidelity etc. were? None of these things are predicated on if a last-gen version is being made, not this early into the generation, considering even console exclusives are not really tapping into the potential of the platforms.

I get what you're saying on the last part there, but those are issues usually more present with 3P developers, since they lack the access and resources of 1P teams. FS 2020 is being handled by Asobo, a 3P dev, but they have a very close working relationship with Microsoft for this game and have basically been afforded support similar to how a 1P dev would've. Those factors you just mentioned are not going to necessarily impact this specific developer or this specific game...

...and that's even considering FS 2020 is coming to XBO at all because last I heard, only Series consoles were listed alongside PC.

Last edited:

Alright

Banned
An Xbox mid-gen refresh in 2022? Wouldn't count on it x3. That aside, when I heard Phil say those words I always took it with a grain of salt because something told me reaction from some gamers and the media especially would get them to reverse course. I think he said it shortly after their May event, or between that and the UE5 demo, or shortly after UE5 demo.

The perception formed from the optics of that was always going to be negatively interpreted even if it made some since financially, and obviously Sony thought it made sense too since they've adopted a similar strategy for some of their games. In fact in terms of 1P Sony has more cross-gen for this year and next than Microsoft does. In MS's case the optics got messy because people were still fretting over the Series S and it holding next-gen back (some still fret about it actually, even if it's needlessly so).

Personally I always thought making 100% of the 1P output cross-gen for two years was overkill, but the way the media and a lot of gamers reacted you'd think they hated the idea of ANY cross-gen support. So color me not shocked that when Sony tried downplaying (via lack of emphasis) that they were doing a good number of cross-gen titles themselves, where were the same media and gamers who chastised Microsoft earlier? You couldn't find them, they just pretended it was never a talking point they held xD. Pretty convenient.

It basically took until seeing Sony were doing cross-gen support for those sorts to accept the idea that last-gen hardware wasn't going to hold those games back, but they did their damndest to hold onto that belief when it came to Xbox. Admittedly, the Halo Infinite demo did Microsoft zero favors, but it's like these dudes forgot that we've had cases of cross-gen generations past where the last gen didn't hold the next-gen offerings back. I don't remember Forza Horizon 2 on XBO being held back by Horizon 2 on 360, or the then-next gen COD for PS4 and XBO being held back by the PS3 & 360 versions.

Sorry, little side rant there, I had to get it off my chest. I wouldn't be too fussed with MS scaling back on their cross-gen support, personally. You should see if you can do the All-Access upgrade program if you're interested in something like Series X, seems like it's a good option for those who want to use it. 1P-wise there isn't too much coming from MS you can't already play on PC like FS 2020, but the Xbox version might have some newer content. You're probably better off waiting until supply is more regular anyway, I can't understand how some people are able to camp online for drops the way they do :LOL:

I think Cross gen is nature of the best with the SSDs. While 1P and 3P companies are coming up with new ways to use quick loading for level design, some games still need to me made. What we have is the usual 18 months of a bridge between the two gens.

I think Microsoft brought forward the launch of the XSX to market and the XSS was the main console. I think they'll redesign the XSX and maybe make an all digital one as an excuse to streamline the aesthetics.

This is the only gen I haven't bought consoles on launch day because I don't know if this new generation can keep me interested in gaming. The only thing I'm looking forward to is PSVR2. The rest is the same old, same old

Dr Bass

Last gen CPU’s arent even close to current gen. If a new game is designed to fit into the CPU capabilities of last gen then by definition it is being “held back”. It has nothing to do with studio or team management and it’s not a “narrative.”

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
This thread was made before Flight Simulator for Xbox Series S|X announcement.

Flight Simulator for Xbox One has been indefinitely delayed, or it may never come out like Ori and the Blind Forest for Xbox 360. For now it will only release on Xbox Series S|X later in 2021.
IbizaPocholo IbizaPocholo in future, to avoid confusion only bump this thread for any Flight Simulator on Xbox news.
Phil could just lie again and not put it on the Xbone, like he did with the medium 🤷‍♂️
The Medium was never announced for Xbox One.

This is the original reveal in May. Infact The Medium, Scorn, Exo One, Shredders, Ark II and Warhammer 40,000: Darktide were only announced for Xbox Series S|X.

Top Bottom