• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft job advertisement hints at GDDR6 for next Xbox

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Microsoft’s Hardware teams consist of progressive, diverse, and exceptionally creative professionals who design, test and manufacture some of the best-loved entertainment devices in the world. Our teams ship tens of millions of hardware products every year including the Xbox One X, Xbox One S, a full accessories lineup, and more. Microsoft is the destination for the brightest minds in gaming device design. Come be part of what’s next.

We are seeking a qualified candidate for a Senior Engineer to lead the DRAM solutions for the Xbox console hardware development team. DRAM solutions include DDR3, GDDR5, GDDR6 and future DRAM technologies. The successful candidate will be the primary technical focal point for existing and leading-edge memory technologies on currently shipping and future Xbox design projects. The focus will be integrating the right memory solutions into the console based on a variety of constraints such as power, cost, reliability, signal integrity and performance requirements. Integration includes defining the system requirements for each memory technology, creating specifications, working within an internal team, partner teams and external vendors to identify specific components that meet the requirements and then completing a characterization, qualification and validation of the chosen technology.

https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/job/419789/Sr-Electrical-Engineer-DRAM-Memory-Lead-XBOX

Do you really need a job position just to say - "Use 16 - 24GB of GDDR6 in the next console, because that's all what's realistically available"?!

But yeah, sounds to me that they want to be laser focused on compatibility 😉

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Do you really need a job position just to say - "Use 16 - 24GB of GDDR6 in the next console, because that's all what's realistically available"?!

But yeah, sounds to me that they want to be laser focused on compatibility 😉
I assume they need someone to optimize the APIs for whatever memory type they end up using. But yeah, i agree, more than 24gb and something other than GDDR5X or GDDR6 is VERY unlikely with current prices of memory modules.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Im not into tech i just buy them..but is this GDDR6 on the 🔥 level ?
From Micron's website - https://www.micron.com/support/faqs/products/dram/gddr6 :
GDDR6 provides higher densities than previous-generation graphics memory. It doubles the bandwidth of GDDR5, extending past GDDR5X speeds. In addition, it is based on a dual-channel architecture, which enables a huge performance increase while still providing backward compatibility to GDDR5 memory access size.

Also believe it uses slightly less power than GDDR5.

Last edited:

Nikodemos

Unsurprising, since HBM2 is still way too expensive for large-scale production at the sizes (24 GB-ish) required.

TheMikado

Banned
It's a step above GDDR5 which what they currently use. I was hoping for HBM2 (high bandwidth memory) but I guess it's wishful thinking at this point and it would be too expensive.

I would call GDDR6 more than a step up. It's twice the bandwidth at half the power and 10-20% more of the cost compared to HBM2 being 2-3x as much.

HBM2 has, IMHO no real world advantages. Yes it has a crazy BW per chip/stack and crazy bus width by comparison, but the pricing of the chip effectively makes its on par with GDDR6 in addition to having more RAM to use.
Basically as seen below if you went with 12GB of HBM2, you could get 24GB of GDDR6 for around the same price of less and end up with similar power consumption and more total bandwidth, not to mention twice the capacity.

I put it in perspective, if choosing between HBM2 vs GDDR6 at equivalent pricing, GDDR6 specs will outperform HBM2 when spending the same amount.

F5mJiFz.png

was expecting 32gb of HBM3 @ 2Tb/s...sad.

and HBM has very low latency something devs have asked for.

Last edited:

TheMikado

Banned
was expecting 32gb of HBM3 @ 2Tb/s...sad.

and HBM has very low latency something devs have asked for.
ummm the estimate for 8GB of HBM2 is about $150 for 8GB plus $25 for the interposer. So 175* 4 = $700 in just RAM alone..

Unless you're thinking about "Low-cost" HBM which is still possibly between 2-2.5x more than GDDR5.

Just for comparison i decided to get GDDR5 pricing which is between $52-$68 for 8GB, thus 32GB would be between $208/$272.
These are of course manufacturing costs to AMD/Nvidia because you can't just go out and buy this stuff.

If they went GDDR6 you are looking at low end $229 and high-end $326.4 for 32GB with 1TB/s which then gets into the question of how much BW do you realistically need for doing mostly 1080P.
Here's a good parts break down of the current systems for reference.
Xbox-one-vs-PS4_TechInsights.png

Realistically I can't see them wanting to spend more than $100 on RAM. At current RAM prices we're looking at 16GB GDDR6 if they go above $100 for RAM. :( . Neither system could realistically afford even 8GB of HBM2 let alone 32GB of HBM3.

Realistically I can't see them wanting to spend more than $100 on RAM. At current RAM prices we're looking at 16GB GDDR6 if they go above $100 for RAM. :( . Neither system could realistically afford even 8GB of HBM2 let alone 32GB of HBM3.

nice breakdown thanks. but we should take into account that in 2years time costs would have dropped but you are right. they will most likely go for GDDR6 Ram.

Sounds good to me--go with the best price/performance ratio so you can spend more elsewhere, as in the CPU.

Last edited:

Shifty

Im not into tech i just buy them..but is this GDDR6 on the 🔥 level ?
Depends on your frame of reference. RAM isn't exactly the most exciting stuff in the world.

It's a step above GDDR5 which what they currently use. I was hoping for HBM2 (high bandwidth memory) but I guess it's wishful thinking at this point and it would be too expensive.
Remember the days when we thought the GTX1080 was going to have HBM2? Good times...

Last edited:

TheMikado

Banned
nice breakdown thanks. but we should take into account that in 2years time costs would have dropped but you are right. they will most likely go for GDDR6 Ram.

Well right now the problem is that RAM costs, even direct from the manufacturer have gone UP in the past few years not down and right now we aren't sure if the market has hit bottom or not.
RAM prices will be a huge issue in determining when this gets released:

Things we do know: RAM manufacturers are significantly ramping up GDDR6 production this year with many starting this summer. The issue is that there are no imminent cards on the horizon for them to start production this early unless.... something is releasing next year. The other issue is that two years from now we have no idea where the markets will be. We are producing more and faster devices than ever before. Prior to 2015 you may have had 1 PC per family and computer labs in schools. Now schools are deploying 1000s of devices to every child, consoles, phones, even cable boxes may use all be contributing to the shortage.

The reality is creating millions and billions of devices isn't free, the materials have to come from somewhere and they will never be infinite so while it could get better, the price of RAM has only increased.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/263031-ram-prices-roof-stuck-way

2_gskill-ripjaws-2yr-history-640x390.png

Granted these are consumer prices but the manufacturers costs of the chips haven't gone down over time which is concerning.

TheMikado

Banned
I believe Samsung is ramping up GDDR6 already/soon for Nvidia's new cards coming out in June/July.
They aren't the only ones, but mass production of the RAM itself isn't expected until June/July. The cards will launch after the components have been assembled so looking at Q4 2018 with Q3 the earliest.

Also just found out that a ton of GDDR6 RAM is going into autonomous cars so in 2020 GDDR6 shortages could be worse not better.

CrisPy2019

"progressive, diverse"
Better higher people that know what they are doing instead of other criteria.

Progressive actually means regressive. Going from individuals back to tribe mentality. But whatever it's not like liberal means liberal anymore anyway.

How are the chances that XboxOneX will be treated like switch now. I mean 12GBs of Ram and a Rx580? Must be good for something right? 720p ports going forward? Would be kind of a waste to not support the XboxOneX but then again how would you sell the games without S owners also trying to buy them just to see the games not work.

Would it be possible to press the games on the same type of disk format? So you can actually run them in the NextBox+XBO? Have the game cases say "also playable on Xbox One X". Wishful thinking I guess.

ethomaz

Banned
I thought the E3 video already showed GDDR6.
Some guys could even extract the model used in the video.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Pretty sure GDDR6 was confirmed in the Scarlett promo video at E3 2019.

"Elsewhere, Microsoft said that the console (or consoles) will "set a new bar for console power, speed and performance"

Launching alongside Halo Infinite, it will be powered by a custom-designed processor, which is said to leverage the latest Zen 2 and Radeon RDNA architecture.

"Paired with high bandwidth GDDR6 memory, and a next generation solid state drive (SSD), Project Scarlett will provide developers the power they require to bring their creative visions to life," the post continues."

Hbm is awesome but way, way too expensive, even today.
Amd used it on it's vega lineup of cards and Radeon VII as well but I'm pretty sure they won't be using it on big navi.
Shit's expensive.

It is expensive compared to GDDR6 but IIRC they are using HBM2 with an upcoming compute-orientated card for the data markets.

Honesty I don't even know if HBM2 is in big volumes of production anymore; HBM2E has seemingly replaced it. If I had to guess how much that's costing more prolific clients, it's probably around $12 - $14 per GB. That's probably actual purchase price and at good bulk volume, keeping in mind HBM2 isn't actually available in single-GB capacities.

If neither system has it, maybe it's possible for a mid-gen refresh to utilize it? By then hopefully HBM2E prices come down, or that cost-reduced HBM2 that's been talked about for like 3 years now, is finally on the market xD.

Top Bottom