• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft makes FUD bet with N'Gai. Say they're good for it. No warranty, though.

Downloadable games will work even with the BC removed. Guys, don't you realize PSP is also able to play those games? Obviously they offer to download only those games that don't require PS2 hardware to be emulated. If PSP can play them, I don't see why PS3 shouldn't.

brain_stew said:
If this move pushes Microsoft to $299 then its going to do more harm than good.

Well, prices gotta go down sometime. One manufacturer can't be afraid to lower prices out of fear that their competitors will do the same.

Personally, all fud aside i'd gobble this PS3 sku up for Xmas.

It would likely be just over £300 in the uk. I'd bite.

1. Not bothered about BC - too many current games and no time anyway.
2. Got a fully wired home network, so wireless is no loss to me.

Do it Sony!

One other point for this move would be GTA IV.

I think there will be a ton of PS2 faithfuls that would rather get GTA IV on a Playstation than have to get an Xbox 360.

There would be a big difference if the price of entry was $249 vs $399 as opposed to $249 versus $499.

KachoMakura said:
Listen you can't fault Sony for trying to reach a broader market. If someone wants BC then this sku isn't for them!

I personally think this is an excellent idea. Some people don't want all those additional features like BC and wi-fi. They just want to play games/movies and this gives them all of that at a lower entry price.

There is absolutely no indication as to how removing BC could be enough of a cost saving measure to make up for the massive dive in promotional value. Use your heads, people.

devilscallmedad said:
See what sonycowboy did here ? that's the real FUD "oh noez MS blog viral tactics PS3 sales doomed" It was a perfectly harmless prediction i have been hearing 360 price drop rumors since Mid-2005, nothing happens NPD stays the same. And if anyone uses their brain for a second this "FUD" goes both way, why would anyone buy a $400 360 when a Microsoft employee says that a $400 PS3 ( + blu ray ) is coming soon ? Its conspiracy idiocy at its best.

Does the PS3 technical director post comments and links to his "blog" posts in Xbox 360 related threads on NeoGAF? Because that's what Ozymandias here does.

Alcibiades

sonycowboy said:
This thing went all night long... ?

So, you're trying to call me out for a permaban bet and now you're quoting someone else and saying I did something??

Permaban bets are the height of ass stupidity, so you'll pardon me for not participating. In fact, I'd lean towards banning folks just for thinking they can somehow force moderation by betting accounts, but my role isn't one of being the hammer, traditionally.

My point wasn't that it wasn't possible that Sony might do another sku. The point is that the bet itself and the promotion of the bet are worth their weight in gold to Microsoft. FUD isn't about lies, it's about exactly what it says "Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt".

Ozy is hoping that people look at this and say

"OH TEH NOES. LOLLERS PS3 loses BC. It's no better than the 360."

or

"No reason to buy one now, it's going to be $399 in the fall"

or

"Look how desperate things are for the PS3. It's doing so badly that I guarantee they'll be forced to drop the price again, and they'll still lose out to the 360. Time to jump off the ship."

Sorry, if it's not clear to you what FUD means. It's a technique that's been used in all industries for a long time. It works because it has some leg in reality, but then twists the argument. It's the twin brother of Spin.
so what is Capcom hoping when they say to expect a further $100 price reduction?

is GI also hoping to spread PS3 FUD just for the hell of it?

sound to me like a $399 is a LIKELY POSSIBILITY this fall and PS3 fanboys are scared that signs pointing to this are going to cause what little sales are happening at $499 and $599 to be affected...

My advice is to stop worrying about conspiracy theories and just accept that Sony doesn't have many options left to compete at the same level as the Wii and to some extent 360, but the one powerful, obvious action is price drops, and sales reports and 3rd party execs saying Sony needs to drop the price are putting pressure on them to do so - all of which make this $399 PS3 this holiday sound quite feasible.

Madman

Alcibiades said:
so what is Capcom hoping when they say to expect a further $100 price reduction?

is GI also hoping to spread PS3 FUD just for the hell of it?

sound to me like a $399 is a LIKELY POSSIBILITY this fall and PS3 fanboys are scared that signs pointing to this are going to cause what little sales are happening at $499 and $599 to be affected...

My advice is to stop worrying about conspiracy theories and just accept that Sony doesn't have many options left to compete at the same level as the Wii and to some extent 360, but the one powerful, obvious action is price drops, and sales reports and 3rd party execs saying Sony needs to drop the price are putting pressure on them to do so - all of which make this $399 PS3 this holiday sound quite feasible.
I am personally not contesting a $399 PS3 before years end. But a $399 PS3 w/o BC and a 40 GB HDD sounds very unlikely, nigh impossible.

This is still FUD.

Alcibiades

Madman said:
I am personally not contesting s 399 PS3 before years end. But a 399 PS3 w/o BC and a 40 GB HDD sounds very unlikely.

Plus, this is still FUD.
the BC will probably happen through software, but I don't know about the harddrive... there is a very large segment out there who just want a box to play games and aren't going to bother with online or downloading, so a smaller hard drive doesn't seem too unreasonable...

those might seem like somewhat conflicting moves, but it's the same thing Microsoft is doing, only those with network updates are getting BC updates, despite the fact that many people are never gonna go online...

Madman

Alcibiades said:
the BC will probably happen through software, but I don't know about the harddrive... there is a very large segment out there who just want a box to play games and aren't going to bother with online or downloading, so a smaller hard drive doesn't seem too unreasonable...

those might seem like somewhat conflicting moves, but it's the same thing Microsoft is doing, only those with network updates are getting BC updates, despite the fact that many people are never gonna go online...
You do know that the price difference between a 40 GB HDD and 60 GB HDD are minimal at best, right? It would make virtually no sense to release a 40 GB HDD. Meaning that the whole idea behind the concept is flawed.

And the BC compatibility thing makes pretty much no sense as well.

soco

where does the FUD come in?

i can see them removing the last of the BC chips, but i'd guess that before it occurs they'd have their BC software to the point where it could emulate a fair number of the most popular ps2 games without the chips. haven't they been targeting this for a while? by the time this occurs though, i can't see it making a big difference, as i imagine there will be enough ps3 software out there that many users won't look back too much.

bishoptl said:
BC isn't going anywhere.

The Euro/Pal PS3's already have the PS2 hardware removed and they play BC fine.

Anyone who thinks that Sony is going to strip BC out of the PS3 is either Stupid or wants to see Sony fail

Morons.

Furthmore I can't see them removing the Wifi. I think Sony wants the Wifi for the PSP connectivity and will not remove the wifi. It could be part of the reason they cut the 20gb sku.

The card readers will be cut, the wifi no.

Top Bottom