• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft making at least four new IPs

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
In spite of the initial joke response, this can only be a good thing, right? I'd really like to see some new big franchises out of all the Big 3.

meta4

Be funny if they also had some 3rd party exclusives lined up too. . . but of course they "won't count" for one reason or another.

Quite a few ppl here are actually hoping it is.

Looks like persecution complex is rearing its ugly head again. Oh the console warriors. Sigh..

Anyways this news is super exciting. I also hope we get Alan Wake 2 reveal at some point.

It's seems like they have to do something, at least for me personally.

I actually liked the Fable franchise, but Fable III was mediocre at best and I have no interest in the Kinect. Couple that with Peter leaving Lionhead, and I'm not sure how that franchise survives.

Forza has always been a superbly polished franchise and the last entry was critically well-received, but isn't racing kind of a niche genre now? How much does Forza really make MS?

As far as Gears, again, my interest in the franchise kind of went off a cliff after 2. I know three is supposed to be good, but I'm curious how well Judgement will perform and if Gears will continue to be a staple of the MS exclusives going forward next gen.

Halo is Halo. I suspect it will always sell millions of copies. I actually enjoyed Halo 4, even though some of those in the hardcore Halo community don't like it and some have publicly said they've soured on the franchise. Whatever is the case, Halo is no longer, sales-wise, the genre king of FPS.

So out of all those offerings, Halo is the only one that I really continue to have any interest in.

kadotsu

Banned
I would be very happy if one or two of those new titles didn't turn out to be Kinect, AAA dark mature shootbang or multiplayer only.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
It's seems like they have to do something, at least for me personally.

I actually liked the Fable franchise, but Fable III was mediocre at best and I have no interest in the Kinect. Couple that with Peter leaving Lionhead, and I'm not sure how that franchise survives.

Forza has always been a superbly polished franchise and the last entry was critically well-received, but isn't racing kind of a niche genre now? How much does Forza really make MS?

As far as Gears, again, my interest in the franchise kind of went off a cliff after 2. I know three is supposed to be good, but I'm curious how well Judgement will perform and if Gears will continue to be a staple of the MS exclusives going forward next gen.

Halo is Halo. I suspect it will always sell millions of copies. I actually enjoyed Halo 4, even though those in the hardcore Halo community don't like and some have publicly said they've soured on the franchise. Whatever is the case, Halo is no longer, sales-wise, the genre king of FPS.

So out of all those offerings, Halo is the only one that I really continue to have any interest in.

It is for an exclusive FPS franchise, 10 million is nothing to scoff at.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Evfr3sJ.gif

Begun, The Second HD Console War has.

23933232-540x539-0-0_INNOVATIONTECHNOLOGIESXboxLightGun.jpg
playstation-move-gun-4.jpg

Console Wars bros you better lock and load.

ironcreed

Banned
In spite of the initial joke response, this can only be a good thing, right? I'd really like to see some new big franchises out of all the Big 3.

Definitely. I lean a bit more towards Sony, but I love the Xbox brand. I owned the first one and am on my third 360 since 2006. I just want Microsoft to focus more on some great new exclusives again and I wish they would be more reasonable with Gold, by making it actually worth something.

ChaosXVI

Well I'm going to be cautiously optimistic that these are indeed real new IPs and not some Kinect shovelware, Microsoft definitely needs to beef up their first party lineup, maybe work on returning Rare to its former glory by beefing it up with new UK talent.

Mifune

Mehmber
They would basically be giving all the 360 players who they got early this gen to Sony.

They might get the casual market, but who would buy Halo etc.

Halo fans, of course! It's a big enough franchise to have its loyal followers.

I agree with what you're saying, though. It would be a big blunder but as we've seen console makers aren't above making big blunders every now and then.

Derrick01

Banned

Well..maybe. You say those are joke responses but there's legit concern they'll be kinect focused or possibly xbla games. If they're new AAA games then yeah I'm sure most will be intrigued, including myself. Big new games are never a bad thing.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
Halo fans, of course! It's a big enough franchise to have its loyal followers.

I agree with what you're saying, though. It would be a big blunder but as we've seen console makers aren't above making big blunders every now and then.

But MS are smart enough to know that making Kinect the main thing and not more of an optional thing is really dumb.
It's even more dumb than launching your console at $600

It is for an exclusive FPS franchise, 10 million is nothing to scoff at.

True is true, but you can't really grow an install base with just Halo alone. Like others have said, MS did some amazing stuff at the start of this gen getting exclusives and originally publishing stuff like Mass Effect. With 3rd party exclusivity seemingly a thing of the past now though, I really think they need to bolster their first and second party offerings to differentiate themselves from Sony. This is from someone whose main console this gen has been 360.

Mifune

Mehmber
Well I'm going to be cautiously optimistic that these are indeed real new IPs and not some Kinect shovelware, Microsoft definitely needs to beef up their first party lineup, maybe work on returning Rare to its former glory by beefing it up with new UK talent.

A new fully stacked Rare would be a great thing. One Kinect game is a given from them, but I'd love to see something else...even just one other title.

Jb

Fuck, the next couple of years are going to be really dumb on Gaf with this stupid console war :(

Mifune

Mehmber
But MS are smart enough to know that making Kinect the main thing and not more of an optional thing is really dumb.
It's even more dumb than launching your console at $600

Yes, they are smart enough. But these guys have a way of getting arrogant. Coasting a bit and leaning too much on what worked in the past goes with the territory.

Honestly I don't think MS will go this direction but it is a fear in the back of my mind.

LQX

MS has burnt bridges in regards to their retail exclusives. I could hardly give a shit. XBLA exclusives though are another story. Cannot fucking wait to see whats coming to the next XBLA.

They've really become a narrowly-focused group over the past couple years, but you can hardly accuse them of that over the entire life of the 360.

In the first few years of the 360's life, they tried a lot of things to get interest going in the platform. I expect something similar this time around. Hopefully a couple more of them stick this time.

Oh I definitely don't accuse them of that for the whole gen, that fire and variety at the beginning of the gen was great, but like you said they really lost that, and I want my consoles to be great over the whole lifespan, or at least until the next console is out.

jondabomb

I'm sure MS will try to create another viable franchise for the nextbox like halo and gears. I'm curious to see how they will approach this generation though since, hopefully, there won't be anymore third party exclusives.

Huff

Banned
I don't think its unreasonable to think MS might be heavy kinect/casual focused and rely on COD and Halo to bring in the "gamers"

I also don't think they are going to trap themselves with this and will have multiple surprises for people, either 3rd or 1st party. It's once the generation starts to lag on that MS can coast on 3rd party games to keep the "gamers" interested and focus on the other stuff. In the begining they are going to throw us some bones

When someone asks you how you threw away your account, I hope you answer it's because your feelings were hurt when someone made a joke about Microsoft.

LOL. Pretty much the perfect response. This summer is going to be crazy.

I'm sure at least a couple of these should be interesting though. At the end of the day AAA games make money so Microsoft will invest in AAA games.

Is the first Destiny still 360/720 exclusive? I wouldn't put it past MS to try to push that as their big exclusive killer app game come launch even though the rest of the franchise won't be exclusive.

derFeef

Well..maybe. You say those are joke responses but there's legit concern they'll be kinect focused or possibly xbla games. If they're new AAA games then yeah I'm sure most will be intrigued, including myself. Big new games are never a bad thing.

Those concerns never turned out true the last two years ("Alan Wake xbla? KINECT! New Gears of War? KINECT!") and I doubt all new IP's will be Kinect exclusive. Enabled? Maybe.

Loco Cycle from TP
Marlow Briggs from Victoria
Gun powder from Black Tusk
New IP from Lionhead

Gun Powder is a Win8 game.

I gets no creditz.

:-/

Top Bottom