• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft needs more exclusives throughout the year

Lol at using breath of the wild, an exclusive that should have been out years prior and mario kart 8, which did come out years ago, but given some new life for the switch. Is that really how you want MS to do games? Take their biggest exclusive and delay a whole generation? And Sony just isn't comparable. They have this generation wrapped up. With their sales and install base they can pretty much spend money however they want as far as pumping out new exclusives.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Microsoft just clearly doesn't care about exclusives. Nadella was not exactly pro-Xbox before becoming CEO. And XBONE was already launched when he took the post, so he was kinda stuck anyways if he really wanted to get rid of it. So now he talks the PR talk (as does everyone else involved), but their actions are clear: They're moving away from a heavy investment in gaming.

The games they're still producing as a first party are all service-focused, and they're committed to bringing all games to Windows now (which is actually great for gamers, to not have to buy their box--so i'm not complaining), and that's their clear goal now. Get more people onto Windows 10. There's literally no reason to buy a XBOX if you have a competent Windows PC. And if you don't, that's why they're selling a box. But really, I feel like after this gen Microsoft is going to mostly be done with the gaming industry. Maybe still put out Halo and Forza, but that's about it.

As much as I don't care for Xbox, I hope that doesn't happen. business competition is healthy, I don't want Sony to get cocky like when they though they could sell us $600 console with barely any games on it.

Phil had fun in Japan and has realized this year that first party is important. Let's wait until at least E3 2019 before we start complaining

Lol. He's done nothing to show he should get the benefit of the doubt for another two years. This was the year to put their best foot forward and encourage people to buy their new hardware, and they just showed they have nothing.

leeh

Microsoft just clearly doesn't care about exclusives. Nadella was not exactly pro-Xbox before becoming CEO. And XBONE was already launched when he took the post, so he was kinda stuck anyways if he really wanted to get rid of it. So now he talks the PR talk (as does everyone else involved), but their actions are clear: They're moving away from a heavy investment in gaming.

The games they're still producing as a first party are all service-focused, and they're committed to bringing all games to Windows now (which is actually great for gamers, to not have to buy their box--so i'm not complaining), and that's their clear goal now. Get more people onto Windows 10. There's literally no reason to buy a XBOX if you have a competent Windows PC. And if you don't, that's why they're selling a box. But really, I feel like after this gen Microsoft is going to mostly be done with the gaming industry. Maybe still put out Halo and Forza, but that's about it.
😂 It's this rhetoric again.

Never change GAF.

daman824

This is why I've given up on Xbox this generation. There just aren't enough exclusives to justify buying most of my games for xb1/ paying $60 a year for gold when they have the weaker box.

This also means that I haven't bought/ am not planning on buying the few exclusives I would be interested in like halo wars 2 and sea of thieves.

However, I don't believe people buy systems for exclusives anymore (minus Nintendo). The only games I'm really looking forward to are all multiplatform. I don't think Microsoft NEEDS more exclusives if they want to sell more systems than Sony. But they do need to have a more compelling system next generation price/power wise.

I use my Xbox One to play 3rd party games because it's the only console I have. I do honestly find it disappointing how there isn't a single exclusive title I'm interested in besides the occasional Halo. The output is just incredible weak in that particular department.

Lol at using breath of the wild, an exclusive that should have been out years prior and mario kart 8, which did come out years ago, but given some new life for the switch. Is that really how you want MS to do games?

If it meant the Xbox One received a single player exclusive on the level of BotW? Sure.

Is that really how you want MS to do games? Take their biggest exclusive and delay a whole generation?
You mean like Crackdown?

giphy.gif

As much as I don't care for Xbox, I hope that doesn't happen. business competition is healthy, I don't want Sony to get cocky like when they though they could sell us $600 console with barely any games on it.

No one is gonna stop Sony if they decide to do that. This gen has revealed that these companies aren't that heavily invested with engaging in competition with one another. No one is really hurting. If Microsoft can't make money through consoles then they'll make money through Windows 10, GaaS, and any other digital service. Competition is last gen.

Kikorin

I agree, I've not turned on my X1 to play something that was not a random horde match in Gear since March I think, when I bought Switch. Only reason I still have X1 this gen is because my friend have one too and sometimes we play together.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This is why I've given up on Xbox this generation. There just aren't enough exclusives to justify buying most of my games for xb1/ paying $60 a year for gold when they have the weaker box.

This also means that I haven't bought/ am not planning on buying the few exclusives I would be interested in like halo wars 2 and sea of thieves.

However, I don't believe people buy systems for exclusives anymore (minus Nintendo). The only games I'm really looking forward to are all multiplatform. I don't think Microsoft NEEDS more exclusives if they want to sell more systems than Sony. But they do need to have a more compelling system next generation price/power wise.

Im the opposite, i don't give shit about power, I care more about games. If I remember correctly PS2 was the weakest console compare to Xbox and Gamecube but it was BEST console because it had lots of exclusives.

Thretau

It's true this year has been very rough for Xbox One exclusives so far. Hopefully the fall games will deliver.

This is a bit off-topic but I was thinking is there any major exclusives coming to PS4 this year? GT Sport doesn't interest me and Knack 2... yeah, couldn't care less.

I bought an Xbone for Sunset Overdrive and still feel pretty stupid about it. The game was great, but aside from that, what else did I play? Rare Replay and Master Chief Collection. Even though Microsoft does some cool stuff like being good about backwards compatibility, they really need to move forward and come up with some badass games. It feels like they just don't care at this point.

It's true this year has been very rough for Xbox One exclusives so far. Hopefully the fall games will deliver.

This is a bit off-topic but I was thinking is there any major exclusives coming to PS4 this year? GT Sport doesn't interest me and Knack 2... yeah, couldn't care less.

Not really major, no.
Yakuza Kiwami, Everybody's Golf, Tokyo Xanadu... That's about it, really.

I think the major exclusives everyone is looking forward to are God of War and Spider-Man, but who knows when those will actually come out.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

Melchiah

What were the big third party timed exclusive games from last gen on 360 again? I know there's Bioshock, Mass Effect 2, and a bunch of DLC. Though in the case of ME2 there was probably a bit more to the deal considering Microsoft was the original publisher of the series.

Edit: Oh, and a bunch of XBLA stuff. A lot of that had to do with the bad publisher requirement system on indie games.

Aside from those, Lost Planet: Extreme Condition, Eternal Sonata, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion*, and COD & GTA DLCs come to mind. Plus, non-timed 3rd party exclusives that weren't published or co-developed by Microsoft, Dead Rising and FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage.

* Released originally before the PS3 launch, but it's noteworthy that both vanilla and GOTY versions were released a year after their 360 counterparts.

Regarding the XBLA exclusives, it might be because of the Parity clause:
"Titles for Xbox 360 must ship at least simultaneously with other video game platform, and must have at least feature and content parity on-disc with the other video game platform versions in all regions where the title is available," it reads.

"If these conditions are not met, Microsoft reserves the right to not allow the content to be released on Xbox 360."

This also applies to Xbox Live Arcade games. Other Online Content "must simultaneously release on Xbox Live Marketplace in all regions where the game is available". Any demo on Xbox Live Marketplace "must ship within the same week of its launch on other video game platforms or via magazines".

Sony's policy, however, appears to be more relaxed. Generally, games that launch on Xbox Live Arcade first eventually emerge on PSN. Limbo, Castlevania: Harmony of Despair and Lara Croft: Guardian of Light are just a few high-profile examples.

While Lewis refused to rule out the possibility of publishing downloadable games that launch on PSN first in the future, "I'd be surprised if we saw that as something we'd encourage," he said.

Not all agree, however. One representative from a publisher who wished to remain anonymous told Eurogamer Microsoft's policy blocks developers from taking advantage of other platforms' strengths.

"Microsoft is suggesting that anything but parity will result in them not carrying a title. They may think this is competitive, but it's not. They are killing any creative exposure of titles to make up for their own platform's shortcomings."

daman824

Im the opposite, i don't give shit about power, I care more about games. If I remember correctly PS2 was the weakest console compare to Xbox and Gamecube but it was BEST console because it had lots of exclusives.
Sure, I think back then exclusives mattered a lot. Halo 1 sold a lot of systems. But now games like overwatch, pubg, grand theft auto, and call of duty are where most people spend their time.

Exclusives still matter and can fill in the cracks in different genres. But looking at twitch and YouTube, I don't feel as though they have the same impact

Theorry

Yeah, PS4's console exclusive lineup in the first half of 2017 is nothing short of insane:

- Gravity Rush 2
- Yakuza 0
- Nioh
- Nier Automata
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- Persona 5
- Crash Bandicoot
- Nex Machina
- Pyre
- Hellblade

Vs. the following on Xbox
- Halo Wars 2
- Tacoma

True. But Sony didnt have any really at the end of last year. They both can do a better job to spread it out.

mindsale

My Xbox One is stilled boxed from a move. Hasn't been plugged in for 8 months?

The problem with their exclusivity is that some people, such as myself, don't really care for Forza or Gears or Halo or whatever-the-hell the Ghost of Rare is doing.

I keep mine for Cuphead.

TDLink

😂 It's this rhetoric again.

Never change GAF.
I mean, it's not like I want that to happen. I agree more competition is good, period. But it's clearly the direction they've been going. They've cancelled all their Japanese developed games and are clearly done with single player games. The only things they are pushing now are online multiplayer games. I'm sure Halo 6 still gets to have a campaign, but that's not the main selling point of that game in their eyes.

Microsoft's strategy the last few years is clear: Get people to play on Windows 10. They've long since given up on Xbox in Asia as well.

ron_bato

Uncharted The Lost Legacy launches this month. It's a stand alone game, around the same length of Uncharted 1.

It's really impressive that we're getting a game of that scope from ND a year and change from Uncharted 4.

@Topic: Yeah, I agree. there's really not much to say, except that I hope that there's a lot of new stuff they're saving for the next year to complement the Xbox One X launch. I bought a 360 first in the previous gen, and was really happy with the amount new IP and exclusives it got at the beginning of the generation. This generation? Other than Sunset Overdrive, there's really been nothing that's pushed me to say, oh it would be cool to get an Xbox now.

OléGunner;245815308 said:
MS simply don't have the studio capacity to pump out more exclusive titles. We always know what their 3 main studios are working on apart from Rare.

Way I see it is MS is basically not touching anything that's not GAAS with a ten foot pole.
They are more inclined to games that allow them to make tons of money continuously which isn't a bad business model at all.

People are just pointing out the exclusive output is a little meager (1st or 3rd party).
Xbox definitely has more than enough 3rd party support as you point out.

It's just that exclusives can sometimes serve as cool and unique software that can't be had anywhere else.

Yes, exclusives are definitely cool. But the problem is that exclusives are not guarantee to succeed. You can make as much exclusives as you like but if you don't get diehard platform fanboys hyping behind it or has Ubisoft level of marketing genius, it's very hard to succeed unless you make Zelda level of masterpiece. And we all know that level of masterpiece seldom appears.
The thing is, Microsoft has lost most of it's diehard fanboy this generation. I think they are trying to be a gaming company that don't require too many fans to survive. And the way they are doing it is to rely on GAAS, which works really well in the mobile space. And to many's surprise. The plan kind of works, for now.

Mubrik

Oh yay, another MS concern thread along with lists.

PS4 output from third parties, while refreshingly amazing, is the anomaly. Or do you all have extremely short term memories to not remember how crappy Sony's output was last year?

Or are you expecting another Persona, Horizon, and Nioh to grace your shelves in the first quarter next year?

Lol. Had a good chuckle.

True. But Sony didnt have any really at the end of last year. They both can do a better job to spread it out.

Are exclusives really important during the winter season? I always got the impression they were important from around January to about September when it's completely barren.

Clearly killing off Scalebound and Fable Legends rightly or wrongly hurt the Xbox line up this year. I hope they can recover in 2018 with a stronger and more well paced release schedule.
Forza Horizon 4, Halo 6 and Gears 5. And to be honest I am okay with that. My X1 is basically a Halo/Gears machine plus some other exclusives I enjoyed.

Forza Horizon 4, Halo 6 and Gears 5. And to be honest I am okay with that. My X1 is basically a Halo/Gears machine plus some other exclusives I enjoyed.

Feels a bit optimistic to expect Gears V next year.

I mean, nowadays dev cycles are closer to 2.5-3+ years. There are games released on a 2-year dev cycle, but traditionally those games are more iterative than not.

Septic360

Banned
Their exclusive line-up has been utterly woeful with nothing really positive on the horizon, especially compared to the competition.

No excuse really; just all those years if neglecting to build and foster talent via it's own studios and instead relying on the same IPs, regardless of their great quality, has led them here.

anothertech

They really need to release this pirate game so Rare can go make some real megaton first party stuff. They're sitting in a gold mine but been forced to make trash for the last decade.

watdaeff4

As a gaming consumer, I wish they would do what the OP suggests.

However all signs point to them doubling down on a few key titles with GaaS components and P2W MTs.

The Last Guardian, son. And on the third party front there was also Dragon Quest Builders, which was incredible, and World of Final Fantasy, 2016's best Final Fantasy.

Ah true. Still a stupid point to make tho. :)

As is complaining about BotW being delayed. Who gives a crap about delays if the end product is great?

Theorry

The Last Guardian, son. And on the third party front there was also Dragon Quest Builders, which was incredible, and World of Final Fantasy, 2016's best Final Fantasy.

As is complaining about BotW being delayed. Who gives a crap about delays if the end product is great?

I wasnt complaining about Zelda stuff. They can take their time. But people comparing Crackdown to Zelda like they announced it years ago and even for a other platform doesnt make sense.

Aside from the ones you mentioned? We have:

Uncharted Lost Legacy, Matterfall, Yakuza Kiwami, Everybody's Golf, LocoRoco 2 Remastered, Horizon Frozen Wilds...

That's pretty much it as far as exclusives go.

2013 and was announced as a WiiU exclusive.
Its not that Crackdown was announced in 2013 as a 360 exclusive.

Shit, you're right. Thought the E3 trailer was the first reveal/announcement. Crackdown was a shit example anyway. I just wanted a reason to drop the Supa Hot.

BraXzy

I jumped in this gen on the X1 coming from the X360. I haven't played on my Xbox since Titanfall 2 came out and even then it didn't last long. Last time it got any serious use was Halo 5 launch...

In fairness though even my PS4 hasn't seen much play but that's a matter of me mainly being on PC and not for a lack of things to play.

I don't understand what MS are doing at the minute, it's insane how little is being brought exclusive wise. I've had credit sitting in my wallet for at least a year now unspent.

leeh

I mean, it's not like I want that to happen. I agree more competition is good, period. But it's clearly the direction they've been going. They've cancelled all their Japanese developed games and are clearly done with single player games. The only things they are pushing now are online multiplayer games. I'm sure Halo 6 still gets to have a campaign, but that's not the main selling point of that game in their eyes.

Microsoft's strategy the last few years is clear: Get people to play on Windows 10. They've long since given up on Xbox in Asia as well.
The Xbox also runs on Windows 10, Xbox is W10 and W10 contains Xbox.

Other than that, it doesn't explain your reasoning for them pulling out the console race, which is stupid beyond belief.

It doesn't matter to me whether you want them to or not, I'm not talking about peoples feelings, more so the idea if them selling off/pulling out the race.

Phil Spencer is all talk and no action. He has charisma, but he simply struggles to deliver.

This gen, aside for a handful of exclusives, has been really bad for MS. The fact that they still feel the need to milk halo/gears/forza is hilarious.

Top Bottom