• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft needs more exclusives throughout the year

I have an Xbox One, but I haven't turned that damn thing on since Forza Horizon 3. This year, Microsoft to my knowledge only had 1 exclusive so far in the 1st half, Halo War 2 and we are months and months past and there is still no exclusive games to play until September with Cuphead. The situation was very similar to last year as well. Quantum Break was the only exclusive in the 1st half of 2016 until we reached August for Rare Collection.

My complaint is that Microsoft needs more exclusives in the first half instead of putting everything in the fall. They need to spread it out like the competition. To be honest, this year of exclusives for Microsoft is much worse compared to last year. For a company that has WAY more money than Sony and Nintendo this embarrassing in my opinion.

This is what I've been playing in the 1st half of the year and summer:
- Zelda Breath of the Wild (Exclusive on Nintendo Switch)
- Persona 5 (Exclusive on Playstation platforms PS4 & PS3)
- Crash Bandicoot (Exclusive so far for the PS4)
- Mario Kart 8 (Exclusive on Nintendo platforms Switch and WiiU)
- Horizon Zero Dawn 2nd run new game plus (Exclusive on PS4)
- Nioh (Exclusive on PS4)
- Hellblade (Console Exclusive for PS4)

Both Sony & Nintendo have been keeping me busy throughout the year so far and still have exclusives left for the fall. Microsoft is just watching from a freaking window looking at both Sony & Nintendo playing outside having fun wishing they were there as well. I've seen a whole lot of games that were announced for the Xbox One at E3 but damn, it looks like all of that was for 2018.

This is how I imagine Microsoft right now...
Even-LeBron-Is-Laughing-at-the-LeBron-Mustache-Memes.jpg

I agree, their exclusive lineup is straight trash. Like you, I've been busy with my Switch and PS4. Hopefully this changes. They have released jack shit, pertaining to exclusives this year. Very disappointing.

Jencks

Banned
Yup. Pretty much the reason I haven't jumped on board with an Xbox One. There's just not enough games out/on the horizon that interest me enough to justify it.

Ascenion

Microsoft having deep pockets is relevant to Xbox spending how? With a comment like that, you act as if Phil and the Xbox team have blank checks which they don't. Nintendo is literally just a gaming company and PlayStation is arguably one of Sony's biggest things. Comparing money here isn't quite fair.

Blobbers

Phil had fun in Japan and has realized this year that first party is important. Let's wait until at least E3 2019 before we start complaining

It's not just the AAA games either. Stuff like Pyre and Hellblade just don't seem to be coming to the Xbox right now. Hopefully Microsoft's E3 means that will start changing, but probably not until 2018. In the meantime, looking forward to Cuphead.

Microsoft having deep pockets is relevant to Xbox spending how? With a comment like that, you act as if Phil and the Xbox team have blank checks which they don't. Nintendo is literally just a gaming company and PlayStation is arguably one of Sony's biggest things. Comparing money here isn't quite fair.

Fair point, but it wouldn't hurt if they spread there exclusives out. 2016 was a perfect time to do that since they had a whole lot of exclusive games in the fall.

Yeah. To me they give people 0 reason to own their system. Sony not only has more compelling first party titles but also smaller games, JRPGs, mid-tier exclusives and so on. My plan is to eventually sell my Xbox (which has been unplugged collecting dust for months now) and upgrade my PC. When a Microsoft title finally comes out that I want to play (Forza, basically) I will get it for my PC.

DxD

Banned
They are known for shooter and racing game.
What else can you make between each quarter?
More shooter and racing game?

Yeah, PS4's console exclusive lineup in the first half of 2017 is nothing short of insane:

- Gravity Rush 2
- Yakuza 0
- Nioh
- Nier Automata
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- Persona 5
- Crash Bandicoot
- Nex Machina
- Pyre
- Hellblade

Vs. the following on Xbox
- Halo Wars 2
- Tacoma

ethomaz

Banned
The same happened with 360.

The software output from 1st MS party are small and slow except for the Forza team... that is a reality compared with Nintendo and Sony studios since MS entered in console business.

GHG

Gold Member
The same happened with 360.

The software output from 1st MS party are small and slow except for the Forza team... that is a reality compared with Nintendo and Sony studios since MS entered in console business.

Actually, during the first 3 years of the 360 they had a great exclusive lineup that was diverse.

Don't know what changed to be honest. It's been steadily downhill since Peter Moore left.

duckroll

It is relevant because if a wealthy company is interested in competing in an industry, they generally spend big. Unless you are suggesting that MS isn't really interested in the Xbox being competitive anymore, then yeah.

Electret

Right - MS needs more exclusives, period. Unfortunately, everything would seem to be trending in the opposite direction; insiders are not bullish on their first party efforts, announcements have dried up the last two E3s, and upper management doesn't appear very supportive of big, new investments after the beating they've taken from the first party games they have released this gen. They've had too many bombs, Halo and Gears have declined, and they have not struck new IP gold. Vague promises about games in the pipeline and a desire to avoid long lag times between announcement and release is not cutting it.

That said, I want to be proven wrong badly.

Actually, during the first 3 years of the 360 they had a great exclusive lineup that was diverse.

Don't know what changed to be honest. It's been steadily downhill since Peter Moore left.

It would seem they failed to establish a broader stable of internal studios and thought they could rely on market leader status to garnish more third party relationships. When XBO stumbled out of the gate, that too dried up, and too many of the third party exclusives they did release bombed. From outside appearances, and insider rumblings like those from Matt, Nadella and co. got tired of sinking what is surely a shit ton of money in failed ventures and tightened the purse strings, setting a focus on GaaS internally and externally. From a business perspective, it's pretty understandable why this would occur, but from a consumer perspective it's depressing. And it's lacking in vision to grow the brand and expand the consumer base. Risks need to be taken if you're going to find the next hit.

Fraeon

They are known for shooter and racing game.
What else can you make between each quarter?
More shooter and racing game?

This perception is entirely self-inflicted and wasn't there during the height of the 360 era when they had major first party franchises other than just Forza, Halo and Gears of War.

Dlacy13g

Clearly killing off Scalebound and Fable Legends rightly or wrongly hurt the Xbox line up this year. I hope they can recover in 2018 with a stronger and more well paced release schedule.

Don Mattrick became senior VP at Microsoft in 07 and was in charge of 360 and PC gaming.

Xbox division changed gears and instead if pursuing games, pursued the motion control craze created by Nintendo, choosing to focus on a handful of exclusives instead of taking risks.

The start of 360 was nuts. Big reason why I jumped to 360 and I was just satisfied with the game output AND ui updates. It's a shame this got abandoned on their follow up.

Xandremi

What is this people's first xbox gen? there aren't going to any, wait for launch of their nextgen console cuz there will be one.
Microsoft comes out big during launch and just dries up afterwards.

ethomaz

Banned

Don't know what changed too be honest. It's been steadily downhill since Peter Moore left.
They did a lot of 3rd party exclusive deals early with 360 that paid off because (I guess) the console had more mind share than XB1.

But first party was really 1-2 games per year.

I can say they tried to do this 3rd party exclusive deals with XB1 but they lost the mind share and the deals didn't pay off this gen.

Mezoly

I was having the same thought this week. I have PS4, Xbox 1, and Switch and my Xbox one hasn't been turned on for months. In fact, I tried to turn it on and the controller has lost it's charge (I'm using the plug and play battery) that's when I realized it has been a while.
The only reason I might turn it on is for Cuphead this year. I have nothing to look for with Scalebound cancellation. It's a shame since I enjoyed Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break on it but since I have PS4 Pro, I don't play cross platform games on it.

It is relevant because if a wealthy company is interested in competing in an industry, they generally spend big. Unless you are suggesting that MS isn't really interested in the Xbox being competitive anymore, then yeah.

Microsoft spent big last gen if I'm not mistaken. They had lots of exclusives and timed exclusives like bioshock, gta4 dlc, cod dlc, eternal sonata, ace combat 6, beautiful katamari, blue dragon and more. This gen they haven't really had anything like that.

Humdinger

It's stating the obvious to say MS has a lack of good exclusives (outside of Halo/Gears/Forza) and new IPs. This goes back years, and it has gotten worse in the last two.

They've got nice hardware on offer, but their game situation is pretty sad. There won't be any substantial turnaround for a couple of years, by which time the generation will be coming to a close.

Was considering selling my Xbox earlier today actually because there doesn't seem to be much in the pipeline I'm interested in.

The plan was always to upgrade to an X but now it seems like I can hold off on that for now.

I really hope they get a better flow of games for 2018

duckroll

Microsoft spent big last gen if I'm not mistaken. They had lots of exclusives and timed exclusives like bioshock, gta4 dlc, cod dlc, eternal sonata, ace combat 6, beautiful katamari, blue dragon and more. This gen they haven't really had anything like that.

Right, which is probably why fans are expecting more.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Oh yay, another MS concern thread along with lists.

PS4 output from third parties, while refreshingly amazing, is the anomaly. Or do you all have extremely short term memories to not remember how crappy Sony's output was last year?

Or are you expecting another Persona, Horizon, and Nioh to grace your shelves in the first quarter next year?

Oh yay, another MS concern thread along with lists.

PS4 output from third parties, while refreshingly amazing, is the anomaly. Or do you all have extremely short term memories to not remember how crappy Sony's output was last year?

Or are you expecting another Persona, Horizon, and Nioh to grace your shelves in the first quarter next year?
God of War?

mister slim

Neo Member

Original Xbox was similar. MS funded a lot of interesting projects early, some of which weren't very good, then when Ed Fries got pushed out the new boss took the wrong lesson and cancelled everything. Psychonauts, Oddworld Stranger, and so on.

Top Bottom