• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft needs more exclusives throughout the year

Funny thing about your list.

Sony themselves only made 2 games there.

Microsoft none.

For all the first party output talk that goes on, Sony doesn't actually output that much more than Microsoft when all is said and done.

Ironically Nintendo probably puts out more than both combined. Just not on the console everyone wants them to.

Why do people pull this narrative out of their ass every time this debate comes up? Microsoft has five games scheduled for this entire YEAR: Halo Wars 2, Crackdown 3, Forza 7, Super Lucky's Tale and Phantom Dust (there's also Voodoo Vince and Fable Fortune but Microsoft isn't publishing either of them). That's the same number of games Sony's releasing in August and September alone: Patapon, Matterfall, Everybody's Golf, Knack 2 and Uncharted TLL. You're completely and utterly wrong.

theWB27

One reason: it affects the probability that sequels are commissioned, and thus the overall franchise's health. We've seen a number of titles get crushed under the weight of those more prominent in the holiday season. As a consumer, I want the franchises I like to continue and succeed, and by extension want them to be released in favorable time windows.

How many titles cannibalize other titles? I don't think there are too many that do so now.

I never understand why people buy into what Phil Spencer says. Every year it's the same thing, new games are coming, but yet they never do. Since he has been in charge, they have closed more internal studios and cancelled more games than developing new ones. I don't see that changing in the future as the focus will be on GAAS and micro transactions to squeeze as much money out of people. This guy also tries to fool people when it comes to exclusive games that are mostly just times exclusives.
Becuase he's a good spokesperson. Same reason Xbox users champion Major Nelson even though he's just a marketing tactic. I don't mind it, but when people say "Why doesn't Sony have someone like [X]," it makes me giggle a bit. He's Microsoft's Reggie.

The Giant

Banned
MS sucks in general when it comes to their 1st part lineup. Doesn't help that xbots believe in every lie that Phil Spencer says.

The fucked up thing is that they don't have anything worth reviving/rebooting. Not anything that could sell enough.
They have to come up with entirely new franchises.

Theswweet

Ever since finally installing Windows 10, my Xbox is literally a 4k blu-ray player/back-compat machine that can play XB1 games worse than my PC can. The main reason I'm keeping it around is the prospect of JSRF for OG Xbox back-compat.

theWB27

Ever since finally installing Windows 10, my Xbox is literally a 4k blu-ray player/back-compat machine that can play XB1 games worse than my PC can. The main reason I'm keeping it around is the prospect of JSRF for OG Xbox back-compat.

Is this supposed to be bad? Microsoft is still winning in this scenario.

Yeah I agree. I don't think it's even remotely close. Sony's catalog continues to grow while MS lags behind when they aren't putting out any exclusives for such a long period.

You're right that it's likely too late to catch up with PS4, but I doubt MS is comfortable or satisfied with their exclusive output. The thing is they just don't have the long list of studios like Sony does, and most of the ones they do have are pinned down by one franchise. So that makes it difficult to stray from the norm.

Oh I think they're very comfortable. I saw some people during E3 frustrated that MS wasn't giving Sony any competition. Idk whether they were disappointed in Sony's E3 and had to vent their anger at something or what. This generation is heated. lol

Electret

The fucked up thing is that they don't have anything worth reviving/rebooting. Not anything that could sell enough.
They have to come up with entirely new franchises.

Perfect Dark
Conker
Banjo
Midtown Madness
Flight Simulator
Age of Empires
FASA properties - not sure what they have the rights to
Fable, other Lionhead properties

That's just off the top of my head.

Wozman23

The thread title doesn't need the "throughout the year" part. They just need more games period.

I thought they actually started out with some promise this generation, with new IP like Sunset Overdrive, Recore, and Ori. Because of that, I decided to become a first time Xbox owner.

Cuphead will be the first thing I've bought since Rise & Shine, and I've only played a few other new indies and a handful of backwards compatible stuff thanks to whatever that free game service trial a few months back.

After Cuphead, all I've got is Ori 2 to look forward to.

It seems silly to me to make another new piece of hardware, when you aren't even supporting the current hardware with your own content. Between the original, the S, and the X, they've basically created 1 console for each of their big franchises.

Perfect Dark
Conker
Banjo
Midtown Madness
Flight Simulator
Age of Empires

Yeah. From that list, I'd love new versions of:
- Conker
- Banjo
- Fable
- Perfect Dark

Perfect Dark
Conker
Banjo
Midtown Madness
Flight Simulator
Age of Empires

Worth was the keyword. Age of Empires converted for console would be a great exclusive for it's niche but the rest on a console? Fable is probably the only title in that list that would do well today, and it'd require a pretty significant reworking. Not to mention they already tried more Fable and completely abandoned it.

Yooka-Laylee blew any chance Banjo has for the next few years, Conker really isn't as good as people pretend it is, Flight Simulator is not a console franchise, who remembers Midtown Madness. Can't even think of what FASA is without throwing it into Google which signals to me that it isn't worth reviving/rebooting.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I don't agree with this. Sony does start weaker and Microsoft starts at its strongest. But I feel the PS4 library as a whole already blows away Xbox One's catalogue, and that gap is only going to substantially widen.

My very next sentence explained the only major differentiator.

2017 is a perfect example of it.

MS sucks in general when it comes to their 1st part lineup. Doesn't help that xbots believe in every lie that Phil Spencer says.

We more or less believe in the reality of what Phil Spencer and MS has to offer. Some will be angry by the fantasy they built up in their head and some will be like me and be satisfied with the current offers.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Why do people pull this narrative out of their ass every time this debate comes up? Microsoft has five games scheduled for this entire YEAR: Halo Wars 2, Crackdown 3, Forza 7, Super Lucky's Tale and Phantom Dust (there's also Voodoo Vince and Fable Fortune but Microsoft isn't publishing either of them). That's the same number of games Sony's releasing in August and September alone: Patapon, Matterfall, Everybody's Golf, Knack 2 and Uncharted TLL. You're completely and utterly wrong.

Patapon? Ugh, even I had the decency not to mention Voodoo Vince or Phantom Dust.

Housemarque arent first party are they? They're more like Insomniac no?

So that's more like 3 games. Which would have been 2 if Uncharted didn't grow over time.

Servbot24

Banned
I don't want to label a console based on one time period, but yeah this year has been really bad for XBox. Honestly I've kind of forgotten the brand exists except for when Scorpio is brought up. It just has no presence at the moment. I would like to play Forza though.

Did I have a fever dream about playing this game on my Wii U?
You know what he meant. Same as saying Persona 5 is an exclusive.

Dremorak

Banned
Having a good PC, even if they did announce something I wouldnt have a reason to buy an Xbone. Saying nothing for the fact that Gears and Halo dont hold my interest much. I really dont know what they could do aside from money hatting some big names

David___

Banned
Patapon? Ugh, even I had the decency not to mention Voodoo Vince or Phantom Dust.

So that's more like 3 games. Which would have been 2 if Uncharted didn't grow over time.

I dont see why it matters if Housemarque is owned by them or not. Its still their money they gave them to make a game

Perfect Dark
Conker
Banjo
Midtown Madness
Flight Simulator
Age of Empires

So Fable and maybe Perfect Dark if they do it right. That's about the only AAA franchises that would sell in great numbers.
The rest might as well be niche.

And no, I'm not trying to start some console wars shit.

You can't fault MS for getting some nice exclusives going at the start of the Xbox One's life, but I suppose they all underperformed or got Scalebound'd, and now they're reluctant to do any more. And, unless they happen to have something in the pipeline right now that they're keeping secret, I wouldn't really expect anything until next gen.

wapplew

Hundreds of games released on Xbox one this year, not counting BC titles. It's more than whole Switch's library.
What's the different a few more games make?

sam12

We more or less believe in the reality of what Phil Spencer and MS has to offer. Some will be angry by the fantasy they built up in their head and some will be like me and be satisfied with the current offers.

Fantasy??
Phil goes to Japan and says "games are coming" every year. Yet those games never show up. Where is the Japanese support he keeps promising? It's blatant lies from people like Spencer that people need to stop believing. He is akin to a politician that promises, serves his term and never delivers. No one is making things up in their head, it's only Phil Spencer that makes things up in interviews or on twitter and then conveniently forgets about them.

My very next sentence explained the only major differentiator.

2017 is a perfect example of it.

Why would Japanese games not count? They make the PS4 lineup that much stronger.

That said, look at what Sony has coming next year (and beyond)
- God of War
- Spider-Man
- Days Gone
- Detroit
- Last of Us Part 2

How many of those are Japanese?

Plus you already have:
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- Uncharted 4
- Ratchet & Clank
- Until Dawn
- Resogun
- Infamous Second Son
- Pyre

That non-Japanese lineup alone beats the Xbox catalogue IMO.

Servbot24

Banned

It would have been zero if the other two games were canceled. Wow! Zero games! What is happening at Sony?

Humdinger

I don't agree with this. Sony does start weaker and Microsoft starts at its strongest. But I feel the PS4 library as a whole already blows away Xbox One's catalogue, and that gap is only going to substantially widen.

Can't vouch for the accuracy, but this guy did a tally of console exclusives (based on Gematsu's lists) and came up with:

Xbox 146
PS4 393

http://twinfinite.net/2017/07/all-current-generation-consoles-ranked-by-number-of-exclusives/

p.s. It's not just attributable to Japanese games. That's something Xbox guys like to throw out there, as a way of trivializing the difference -- "It's only those niche Japanese games; otherwise they are both the same." Not true.

This is MS's biggest issue, and by Phil's own omission, will take years to fix. They've been focused on fixing the hardware and course correcting the XBOX platform after the terrible X1 launch, which means their first party output has fallen behind. Their few attempts at new exclusive IP this gen (Sunet Overdrive, ReCore, etc) have not landed in the way that Sony's have.

The issue with this argument is always plain to see. Given the structure of companies like Microsoft, creating hardware and OS updates shouldn't impact game development. The Xbox One didn't do this, so why would the launch of the Xbox One X? It's not as if their first party studios had to commit resources to developing Xbox One or OS updates. They have an army of engineers at their HQ for that. If Microsoft can't create compelling first party software whilst developing new hardware in tandem (which in all honesty, only a naive person would believe), then people should be worried.

They're not creating more first party software because they're not interested. It's that simple.

Microsoft definitely needs something, there's not too much keeping me engaged in my Xbone as there is on my PS4 or Switch. It's clear, however, that they really want to turn Xbox into a cross-platform brand (Xbox and Windows 10). Because of that, I think they're more focused on the long term than the short term (what's in the pipeline to be released four years from now, vs in the next two). I have a feeling they're going to hit hard, it's just not going to be soon.

Fantasy??
Phil goes to Japan and says "games are coming" every year. Yet those games never show up. Where is the Japanese support he keeps promising? It's blatant lies from people like Spencer that people need to stop believing. He is akin to a politician that promises, serves his term and never delivers. No one is making things up in their head, it's only Phil Spencer that makes things up in interviews or on twitter and then conveniently forgets about them.

He showed Japanese games at the press conference. You thought exclusives. I wasn't thinking that at all.

It don't matter man.. I don't give a shit (and the average consumer definitely doesn't) who made the games, as long as they are dope and available on the system.

I could see your point if the lil games Xbox did come out with were dope, or amazing.. but..

I dunno. I'll say this, I have all systems and I know it didn't come out his year but I started Ori last month and it was one of the best games I played all year!

And I'll be there Day one for Cuphead.

silva1991

I stopped thinking about MS as far as exclusives goes long ago. Cancelling Scalebound and announcing almost nothing at E3 doesn't help.

c0de

They still do better than exclusives outside of some Nintendo games. Ubisoft might as well announce they're the leading market for this gen.

Which is especially surprising as gaf usually doesn't really like Ubi games. So if people think that exclusives are *that* important, they might as well be wrong.

David___

Banned
This is MS's biggest issue, and by Phil's own omission, will take years to fix. They've been focused on fixing the hardware and course correcting the XBOX platform after the terrible X1 launch, which means their first party output has fallen behind

If they can't make hardware and software at the same time like literally every other platform holder, then they have a bigger problem that isnt their exclusive line up

sam12

Did he not show some Japanese games at the E3 press conference? You thought exclusives. I wasn't thinking that at all.
Actually I don't mean exclusives at all.

"@XboxP3 Any chance of more JRPG on Xbox one? I love persona and wish it was coming out on xbox so I could beat my friends gamerscore on it."

"Replying to @NBFlying
Yes, visit to Japan confirmed for me we'd be seeing these coming <and yes I know I've said this before>"

https://mobile.twitter.com/XboxP3/status/844689200934928384

He showed Japanese games at the press conference. You thought exclusives. I wasn't thinking that at all.

He showed Japanese games at the conference that were already announced as coming to Xbox One, and Dragon Ball FighterZ was always going to show up on Xbox, just like every other Dragon Ball home console game of the past decade.

Which is especially surprising as gaf usually doesn't really like Ubi games. So if people think that exclusives are *that* important, they might as well be wrong.

Exclusives are important though. When I buy a PS4, I get great first party and third party content. It's not an either/or thing with Sony this generation.

If they can't make hardware and software at the same time like literally every other platform holder, then they have a bigger problem that isnt their exclusive line up

Speaking to this, and I don't mean to get off-topic, but Xbox One X seems to introduce an interesting technical hurdle in porting back to Xbox One/S with the eSRAM system. "Porting" to Xbox One X and scaling up seems to be easy, it'll be interesting to see how new products handle managing Xbox One and Xbox One X with different memory tech requirements compared to Pro and base PS4 where GPU/CPU improvement is the only difference.

Top Bottom