• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft needs more exclusives throughout the year

JimiNutz

Banned
Very true although for me personally I prefer quality over volume so MS wouldn't even need to deliver THAT many exclusives to get me on board, they would just have to deliver maybe 4 high quality exclusives a year for me personally.

The problem at the moment is that both the quality and volume is low.

David___

Banned
The issue with this argument is always plain to see. Given the structure of companies like Microsoft, creating hardware and OS updates shouldn't impact game development. The Xbox One didn't do this, so why would the launch of the Xbox One X? It's not as if their first party studios had to commit resources to developing Xbox One or OS updates. They have an army of engineers at their HQ for that. If Microsoft can't create compelling first party software whilst developing new hardware in tandem (which in all honesty, only a naive person would believe), then people should be worried.

They're not creating more first party software because they're not interested. It's that simple.

I still can't believe the quarter assed excuse actually got taken as a fact. If that were actually the case they'll never make exclusives again because they're always RnDing the next platform

The Absolute

Neo Member
So this tired-ass topic is still pointing to a few big questions that I don't see getting asked enough:

Is MS going to buy a prominent studio?
Is MS trying to make deals with third-parties to make console-exclusives?
Is MS considering having one or more of their first party studios hand off an IP to another trusted developer so they can try something new?
Is MS ever going to try to revive older IP?

And IMHO, maybe the biggest question/discussion:

How does MS approach the dilemma of having the games in that are either currently in development or will be soon, see their eventual release in the same window as when PS5 will undoubtedly arrive?

Actually I don't mean exclusives at all.

"@XboxP3 Any chance of more JRPG on Xbox one? I love persona and wish it was coming out on xbox so I could beat my friends gamerscore on it."

"Replying to @NBFlying
Yes, visit to Japan confirmed for me we'd be seeing these coming <and yes I know I've said this before>"

Code Vein.

Ps4 had its best year by a landslide. It doesn't have a lot coming up for the winter quarter (as usual) but, it's still had the best year of the platform. Xb1 has had probably the worst year since it's launch.
Still the xb1x has done seriously strong third party support. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

The thing that I find sad is that Microsoft is actually the one company that has the finances to take more risks than Sony and Nintendo when it comes to IPs that bomb.

Ok, lemme explain before you all start hammering me:
We have Sunset Overdrive, yes? That game bombed. If (and I stress IF) the executives in MS could see the value in the IP and push for a sequel, I'm pretty sure with better advertising and improved gameplay features the 2nd game could come out a winner or (miracle of miracles) another system seller. It's not like MS is strapped for cash. (Of course, whether the $$$ gets allocated to the gaming division is an entirely different question)

The problem (at least to me) is that MS seems really really really terrified of failure. They'd rather moneyhat tomb raider than make their own IP that they could own themselves. I mean, nobody gets it right the first time right? Everyone falls flat on their face once in a while and needs to pick themselves up (Windows 8 -> 8.1). But I'm not seeing this in the way MS approaches their gaming IPs. If the first game bombs, it's 'goodbye forever'. Then what if the game succeeds? Milk the fucker for all its worth till there's nothing left to squeeze out.

For all I know, the corporate culture in MS could be fueling this 'I must not ever fail' mentality. It's just sad.

Patapon? Ugh, even I had the decency not to mention Voodoo Vince or Phantom Dust.

Housemarque arent first party are they? They're more like Insomniac no?

So that's more like 3 games. Which would have been 2 if Uncharted didn't grow over time.

"These games don't count because reasons." First party games are first party games, whether they're developed internally or not. Anything else is list wars bullshit.

But hey, let's follow your logic then and exclude all externally developed games. Microsoft now has TWO internal first party games for this entire year: Forza 7 and Phantom Dust. Sony has three in August and Septembe aloner: Uncharted TLL, Knack 2 and Patapon. My point still stands.

The thing that I find sad is that Microsoft is actually the one company that has the finances to take more risks than Sony and Nintendo when it comes to IPs that bomb.

Ok, lemme explain before you all start hammering me:
We have Sunset Overdrive, yes? That game bombed. If (and I stress IF) the executives in MS could see the value in the IP and push for a sequel, I'm pretty sure with better advertising and improved gameplay features the 2nd game could come out a winner or (miracle of miracles) another system seller. It's not like MS is strapped for cash. (Of course, whether the $$$ gets allocated to the gaming division is an entirely different question)

The problem (at least to me) is that MS seems really really really terrified of failure. They'd rather moneyhat tomb raider than make their own IP that they could own themselves. I mean, nobody gets it right the first time right? Everyone falls flat on their face once in a while and needs to pick themselves up (Windows 8 -> 8.1). But I'm not seeing this in the way MS approaches their gaming IPs. If the first game bombs, it's 'goodbye forever'. Then what if the game succeeds? Milk the fucker for all its worth till there's nothing left to squeeze out.

For all I know, the corporate culture in MS could be fueling this 'I must not ever fail' mentality. It's just sad.
In regards to Sunset Overdrive, and this may be a completely useless post because ********:

inFAMOUS: 2.93m
inFAMOUS 2: 1.82m
Sunset Overdrive: 1.16m

If these numbers are accurate I wouldn't say Sunset Overdrive bombed, it just didn't do well for as an important 1st party exclusive for Xbox. ofc this doesn't factor in budget.

Edit: Didn't realize V G Chartz was censored here lol. I guess ignore this post in that case.

sam12

It is a JRPG.

Yeah but he talks about "these games." The poster specifically mentions Persona and like a true politician he gives a vague response to make it seem like Persona is coming. Plus Code Vein is just one game, where are the rest? Don't tell me his Japan trip was for Code Vein and a fighting game that would have come out for Xbox anyway

Shin-Ra

I don't think they deserve any more prodding into action.

Good on Colllingwood for reminding us to disregard the existence of Japanese, remastered, 'second' party, and games that grew over time like Uncharted.

Yeah but he talks about "these games." The poster specifically mentions Persona and like a true politician he gives a vague response to make it seem like Persona is coming. Plus Code Vein is just one game, where are the rest? Don't tell me his Japan trip was for Code Vein and a fighting game that would have come out for Xbox anyway

For Xbox fans that want specific Japanese games, beggars can't be choosers.

Mezoly

Other problem with not releasing exclusive games for a long period of time is that Xbox one is not being part of the zeitgeist. This year has been dominated by Switch and PS4 news. Go to gaming forums like /r/games or Gaf and listen to podcasts and news from gaming sites. Most of the news is not about Xbox games because there is very few releasing for the first half of the year and then at the end of the year when they do release, they get buried by the big 3rd party releases news and discussion. Xbox One is becoming the forgotten console this Gen.

I go to /r/xboxone every day and on the top news is always about things other than recent games. Whether Spotify, backward compatibility games, or UI and system changes. Which is not bad per-se, but I don't find many new games discussion which is disheartening because I want to use my Xbox One.

... Microsoft has never been able to 100% answer the question of "Why should I buy the Xbox ____ instead of the Playstation _?" with anything other than a resounding "Yeah, no, you really shouldn't."

duckroll

... Microsoft has never been able to answer the question of "Why should I buy the Xbox ____ instead of the Playstation _?" with anything other than a resounding "Yeah, no, you really shouldn't."

51N0J3M6GBL.jpg

Humdinger

They're playing it safe, I agree. But there's another factor, and that is that MS is not an entertainment company. Sony is knee-deep in entertainment and has been for decades. MS is a software and services company. They don't have the artistic inclinations and vision that Sony does. It's just a different mindset.

So this tired-ass topic is still pointing to a few big questions that I don't see getting asked enough:

Is MS going to buy a prominent studio?
Is MS trying to make deals with third-parties to make console-exclusives?
Is MS considering having one or more of their first party studios hand off an IP to another trusted developer so they can try something new?
Is MS ever going to try to revive older IP?

And IMHO, maybe the biggest question/discussion:

How does MS approach the dilemma of having the games in that are either currently in development or will be soon, see their eventual release in the same window as when PS5 will undoubtedly arrive?

Matt has said they aren't increasing their investment in first-party, so I wouldn't expect buying a prominent studio is in the works.

I think Phil has said he doesn't like the third-party console exclusive deals. After TR, I can't blame him. But you never know. Phil says one thing, and something else happens.

Are they going to let one of their developers off the leash? I sure hope so. I bet they'd love that. That's something Sony does much better than MS.

I'll leave the other questions for you and other people.

That person is talking about sales. I'm pretty sure vanilla NG on Xbox sold more than Black.

No, it was a response to this:

... Microsoft has never been able to 100% answer the question of "Why should I buy the Xbox ____ instead of the Playstation _?" with anything other than a resounding "Yeah, no, you really shouldn't."

And this:

Ninja Gaiden and Black were absolutely reasons to buy an Xbox and I could totally see it being a reason to pick that console over a PS2. I certainly wouldn't do it (I buy everything), but I get it.

I don't recall specifics, but from the last financials I got the impression MS Xbox are earnings are up.*

If so then MS's approach is working for MS.*

My own take is that Xbox's portfolio isn't going to undergo some radical transformation. Instead, MS will continue to pursue methods to maximize revenue from existing content and services rather than prioritise new content.

Whether that aligns with what I personally care for as a consumer - well, that's my choice as a consumer.

*I could well be completely wrong on this.

This is what is stopping me from even considering an XBOX One X. When their game output is so poor, why would I want one? I keep waiting for them to get their act together, and they refuse to.

What if I told you there are people who say this same thing about Sony and Nintendo?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Code Vein.

My Question is why MS doesnt try bring big JRPGs here like these?

Persona 5
Nier Automata (came out on PC and the original game was on 360)
Dragon Quest XI (also coming on Switch)
Ni no Kuni 2 ( also coming on PC)
.hack//G.U. Last Recoded (also coming on PC)

If games like Yakuza and Persona series ever gets released in other platforms there is a bigger chance PC getting it than Xbox.

D3VI0US

Honestly just as big a problem is letting Sony have more exclusives by default. I'd probably try Lawbreakers and Paragon if they were on X1. I know I'd buy a lot more Japanese stuff like SFV and GG Xrd, Puyo Puyo Tetris, maybe Persona 5. But it's even smaller games like Pyre, Cosmic Star Heroine, and even the Rez Infinite port. MS is losing on every front and they need more quality and quantity across the board. I hope it's not just the parity clause that is holding these games back but whatever it is they need to solve it and fast.

They said not too long ago that they are making investments that will pay off in a year or two. That is too long to wait and in the meanwhile they losing market share and mind share in a big way and I doubt Halo, Forza, or Gears will bring people back. They need to compete harder or it's very likely people like myself won't have a reason to pick up a X1X or their next gen console that follows.

I'm not even sure why you're bringing up hardware sales, when that wasn't even a part of the conversation.

uh

... Microsoft has never been able to answer the question of "Why should I buy the Xbox ____ instead of the Playstation _?" with anything other than a resounding "Yeah, no, you really shouldn't."

e.g. NGB was not a good reason to buy an Xbox for many hundreds of thousands of consumers. Context.

JawzPause

Xbox have always had this problem, and that's why I've always stuck with PlayStation. Their exclusives are a joke, it's literally just a cycle of forza gears halo. They need to invest heavily and make some exclusive Xbox developers to make a constant flow of exclusives for them, similar to Sony's worldwide studios

Toki767

My Question is why MS doesnt try bring big JRPGs here like these?

Persona 5
Nier Automata (came out on PC and the original game was on 360)
Dragon Quest XI (also coming on Switch)
Ni no Kuni 2 ( also coming on PC)
.hack//G.U. Last Recoded (also coming on PC)

If games like Yakuza and Persona series ever gets released in other platforms there is a bigger chance PC getting it than Xbox.

I imagine if they want that stuff, they'd have to pay for it because most Japanese third parties aren't going to bother putting games out on a hardware most of the vocal fanbase say they don't care about.

Just look at how many people brush off the lack of JRPGs on Xbox as either "concern trolling" or some "I don't care about those games" thing.

Having played sigma, I never felt the need to buy black.

Will probably buy it if it's remastered on PS4 or Steam tho.

That's what Sigma is for. Team Ninja probably thinks Sigma is the definitive way to play NG. The only hope for Black coming back is through Xbox BC.

Top Bottom