• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft + Nintendo vs Sony?

Who should Sony teamed up with to counter Microsoft+ Nintendo partnership?

• Total voters

Airbus Jr

Banned
So it seems like we're dealing with a 2 vs 1 situation here with rumours circulating that Microsoft and Nintendo are cooperating

So what should Sony do to counter that ?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Honestly don't care, as long as they give me the games I care about then I'm happy.

Antoon

Banned
Microsoft + Nintendo could be a pretty sweet collab I think. That would compeltely kill Sony (playstation) when MS's power and Ninty's creativity are fused.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Microsoft + Nintendo could be a pretty sweet collab I think. That would compeltely kill Sony (playstation) when MS's power and Ninty's creativity are fused.
mv.gif

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Sony + Valve. Put The Last of Us, God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, and everything else on Steam! That'll show Xbox and Nintendo. Won't they be scared.

Last edited:

Andyliini

They should team up with Apple, of course. That way, people would actually pay 599 US dollars for their machine.

mejin

In the last 10 years, Sony had 4 GotYs, Nintendo only one and MS produced nothing worth of mention.

Sony only need to continue their good relationship with 3rd partys and focus on great exclusives to fill the gap in the lineup. They have a vast market with their worldwide brand, just don't fuck with the consumer and they're good.

93xfan

Banned
No one. Sony keep making good games and gamers will be happy

I’ve been a PlayStstion fan from day one and I’m far from happy.

-No BC at all. Not even PS1 games.

-Charging $15 for PS2 games that we bought last gen because they added trophies.

-leaving Socom to rot and mismanaging the crap out of the franchise when fans have been very vocal on what they want.

-not embracing cross-play

If Sony can remain the FIFA box in Europe they'll hold Europe, and if they can continue to cater to the more casual gamer player base they have gotten behind them with cinematic and story driven games they shouldn't need to partner with anybody. The core Playstation fanbase is going to be playing on PlayStation regardless of what the others are doing so there is no worry of them jumping ship any time soon. They have a good relationship with 3rd parties and I don't see that changing either.

I wouldn't call the rumors about Microsoft and Nintendo a "team up" anyways. Spencer era Xbox is super friendly all the time and this just seems like more of that. Spencer compliments Sony every time they have any form of success too, but there are no rumors of Xbox and Sony teaming up. Microsoft wants every screen in the known world to be capable of running their streaming game services and buttering up a player base and company that is entirely composed of gamers is probably not a bad idea. Being a screen that's already hooked up to controllers capable of an online connection makes the Switch a no-brainer to run a potential Xbox game streaming app. The Vita would have also been a good choice if it still existed. Hell they'd probably stream Xbox to PS4/5s if Sony would be willing to allow it to happen. Nintendo is probably more likely to let it happen, like they were fine this add for Minecraft, and supporting cross-play form the start.

In the last 10 years, Sony had 4 GotYs, Nintendo only one and MS produced nothing worth of mention. :messenger_poop: - Take that Xbots! You to Shitendo!

Sony only need to continue their good relationship with 3rd partys and focus on great exclusives to fill the gap in the lineup. They have a vast market with their worldwide brand, just don't fuck with the consumer and they're good.

So what you're saying is that you are a fan of gaming regardless of platform and see the value and potential of each one in the future?

Sparda

Banned

-Charging $15 for PS2 games that we bought last gen because they added trophies.

-leaving Socom to rot and mismanaging the crap out of the franchise when fans have been very vocal on what they want.

They are slow embracing crossplay, ps5 will have backward compatibility even if it's not the most important thing, so...

Last edited:
poll needed option to just team up with nintendo or microsoft.

sonys fine on their own... unlike nintendo they have developed a good online infrastructure and presence and unlike microsoft they have developed a sick ass library of software and IPs

Last edited:
So it seems like we're dealing with a 2 vs 1 situation here with rumours circulating that Microsoft and Nintendo are cooperating

We're really not. This will just boost Switch sales and hinder Xbox sales. But MS want that software revenue. This is MS conceding they can't compete with their rivals head to head and are turning the business into something else

Indeed, Crackdown 3 running on Switch would be a killer. Add up the Labo edition and it's Sonydoomed city.

I'll believe it when I see it. The point about completely killing playstation is just laughable. Maybe if you have american-tinted glasses, then maybe it does make some sense (esp. when you look at amount of nintendo shilling on reddit, lmao) but rest of the world? Hardly people would care imo. It looks more to me like xbox admitting they can't compete with the rest at all.

StormCell

Even if it were to come to pass, why do they need to counter it? Even if you flipped around the names and had Sony + MS teaming up against Nintendo, why would you expect Nintendo would need to counter it? Fact is, Sony and Nintendo are doing well doing their separate things. I like Microsoft as well. They should keep with their platform ideas and maybe some day Microsoft Live will be on all platforms and we won't have to deal with the companies out of Japan doing online poorly anymore!

Hey, I can dream...

spawn

There was news today about a Sony patent that suggested the PS5 will have BC.
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019...ion_begins_again_as_sony_files_another_patent

As for cross-play, most of my friends are on PSN, but I think Sony will have it make it available for next gen since it's such a requested feature.

93xfan

Banned
There was news today about a Sony patent that suggested the PS5 will have BC.
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019...ion_begins_again_as_sony_files_another_patent

As for cross-play, most of my friends are on PSN, but I think Sony will have it make it available for next gen since it's such a requested feature.

PS4 BC on PS5 is a bare minimum. It would massively affect sales if it didn’t have it.

Sony initially talked about doing PS1 and PS2 BC before launch.

dont think they’ll care about this stuff until sales start to dip, unfortunately.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
We're really not. This will just boost Switch sales and hinder Xbox sales. But MS want that software revenue. This is MS conceding they can't compete with their rivals head to head and are turning the business into something else
Not really. But, please..........continue.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The only aspect of this I would buy into would be physical cartridges of Microsoft games on the Switch, with no internet connection required. I think it'd be wild to have Halo 1 - 4 on the Switch. Add in the option of a streaming-only Halo 5 and Halo Infinite through Microsoft's store and you'd have quite a seller.

ph33rknot

Banned
google or amazon someone with a large cloud service and proper online infrastructure. I've always thought Nintendo complimented Microsoft

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Sony should team up with.....Microsoft (gasp!!!). Microsoft puts game pass on Playstations. Microsoft runs Playstation network on Xbox Live.

Sony further dominates hardware market, gets improved network services and support. Cloud and networking would be cheaper for Sony to offload than further invest in infrastructure. Sony gets $$$ cuts of game pass and MS game DLC and microtransactions.

Fbh

Their first party studios and maybe some more investment in third party projects (as they did with From/Bloodborne and Insomniac/Spiderman).
This Nintendo + Microsoft thing only turns into a real 2vs1 if Nintendo starts releasing their current games on Xbox which I seriously doubt

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
They are slow embracing crossplay, ps5 will have backward compatibility even if it's not the most important thing, so...

PS4 BC won’t be enough for me personally.

And BC is super important, unless you think we should all keep our jet engine PS4s and PS4 pros. The question is; will Sony finally put cooling and noise levels ahead of making it as small as possible.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I could see Samsung and Sony being a great union but in the end Sony will sell boatloads alone. As long as they keep churning out their staple ips like Uncharted, God of War, MLB the Show, Gt and others they'll be OK while also offering innovative hardware like VR and titles like Lbp and Dreams.

Top Bottom