• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft now lets you stream PC games to an Xbox One

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

Thanks to Miracast technology and the Wireless Display application, it is possible to replicate the display of your PC on an Xbox One, and control everything using a joystick
Any game works (including those on Steam), but some protected content, like Netflix videos, does not work. It is currently not possible to use the keyboard / mouse combo using this application, but this could quickly change, as developers have recently been able to make their Xbox One games compatible with this type of devices.

Last edited:

Pejo

I'll have to check this out. I currently don't have my Xbone connected in my living room due to limited HDMI inputs, but if I could hook it up in my bedroom and stream PC games there, I'd be down for that. I'd assume that for this purpose, there's no difference between standard Xbone and the X, correct?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Isnt this big news? Why wasn't this part of yesterday's show? Any PC game? How about emulators?

Calibos

Shit that's cool. I have a great gaming PC I use exclusively for work but it's upstairs while my 4k Xbox setup is in the basement. Going to have to try out some steam games this week!

Codes 208

But in order for it to work I must first have the pc. And at that point why bother streaming when I can just play on pc with my Xbox controller? Less input lag that way.

I mean I get that some people want this because they won’t have access to their pc monitor for one reason or another but honestly I was kinda hoping I’d be able to stream steam ala Psnow or something.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Hmmm... so is this essentially like how my Xbox will stream to windows, but in reverse?

Seeing as I use a wireless Xbox pad with my pc, this may be pretty cool for the tv. Only issue I can see is with input lag :(

Journey

Banned
But in order for it to work I must first have the pc. And at that point why bother streaming when I can just play on pc with my Xbox controller? Less input lag that way.

I mean I get that some people want this because they won’t have access to their pc monitor for one reason or another but honestly I was kinda hoping I’d be able to stream steam ala Psnow or something.

I think the idea is that some people have a pretty decent gaming PC in the computer room with say a 24" monitor, but probably wouldn't mind the option of playing said games on a 77" OLED 4K TV with home theater entertainment in their livingroom.

brutz

Neo Member
I've noticed some upcoming games show PC - PS4 only, with no release for xbox. I guess we can now play PS4 games on xbox now with the app, heh

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Wait...so I can play say....my FFXIV...on my Xbox!?

jfiaowejfoia[uj[fajfoiejai;feajkfleajklf;ejawiojfeo;awj;lefk;jwl

FFXIV on a nice 52 inch TV...I really hope this works well. Minimal LAG Please and Thank you.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
Tried this on my 5Ghz network, but the latency was terrible. It also registered my Xbox controller as mouse and keyboard when entering a game. I haven't had these issues with my Nvidia Shield or Steam Link.

TLZ

Banned
Whoa will test this now.

Edit: Hmm, my Xbox isn't detected.

EDIT 2: Ok. I had to download the wireless app on Xbox One for this. Even then, it streams, but it's locked to my laptop screen's resolution. Also, my Xbox controller wouldn't automatically work with games. It just works for the desktop etc.

Last edited:

scalman

thing that bothers me with word streaming is low res , lags probably , so not sure i wanna to try my games in downgraded mode, why would i ?

Tried this on my 5Ghz network, but the latency was terrible. It also registered my Xbox controller as mouse and keyboard when entering a game. I haven't had these issues with my Nvidia Shield or Steam Link.

Worked flawlessly for me. Make sure you press the start and select button on your controller when entering a game to switch control methods.

My issue was 1080p was max resolution support

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Has anybody tried an HDR game with this? I don't have HDR on my PC monitor but I do on my TV. I'd like to try out Shadow of the Tomb Raider to see if it works. At work now, will update tonight if nobody has tried this.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
Sometimes you want to sit at your desk and go at it hardcore. Other times you want to lay on the couch with a controller and just veg.

Now sure, you can do that with a PC without any of this but doing it at a software level makes it easier for everybody who happens to have both platforms and feels like trying it.

I must be really stupid, I have the app installed on Xbox and it says "ready to connect". I 'think' I have the app installed on PC and I press the Windows+P but I get nothing, how do I actually get them to talk to each other. I see lot's of videos showing how wonderful it is, but nothing showing how to set it up... I must be getting old.

leonardo__cruz

Neo Member
Wait...so I can play say....my FFXIV...on my Xbox!?

jfiaowejfoia[uj[fajfoiejai;feajkfleajklf;ejawiojfeo;awj;lefk;jwl

FFXIV on a nice 52 inch TV...I really hope this works well. Minimal LAG Please and Thank you.

I've noticed some upcoming games show PC - PS4 only, with no release for xbox. I guess we can now play PS4 games on xbox now with the app, heh

People cleary didn't understand the concept of this lol

You are not playing these games "on your Xbox", you are playing on your TV via wif-fi.
The game is still running on your PC, the Xbox is only allowing you to use your TV as a Remote Display and sending the controller signal trough wi-fi for your PC. Basically you are NOT playing it in your Xbox, you are just using Its wi-fi network to send a video signal from PC to TV.

I think that's the reason Microsoft isn't heavy marketing this feature, people would be confused and thinking they can now can "play PC games ON Xbox", which is not the case.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
People cleary didn't understand the concept of this lol

You are not playing these games "on your Xbox", you are playing on your TV via wif-fi.
The game is still running on your PC, the Xbox is only allowing you to use your TV as a Remote Display and sending the controller signal trough wi-fi for your PC. Basically you are NOT playing it in your Xbox, you are just using Its wi-fi network to send a video signal from PC to TV.

I think that's the reason Microsoft isn't heavy marketing this feature, people would be confused and thinking they can now can "play PC games ON Xbox", which is not the case.

Yea I didn't mention the PC part, but that's what I assumed from the OP. In my mind I clearly understood that. I guess in my excitement I failed to say "PC". I have FFXIV on my PC...and can stream through my XBOX to my TV, using my Xbox controller.

It feels like you are trying to dampen that excitement when it's honestly a great thing. I never thought I could do this without the PC part in the first place. Still equally excited about the feature.

How does this work? I have both Xbox and PC at the same room, downloaded the app on Xbox and PC cannot detect Xbox. Do I need mirecast for this

leonardo__cruz

Neo Member
Yea I didn't mention the PC part, but that's what I assumed from the OP. In my mind I clearly understood that. I guess in my excitement I failed to say "PC". I have FFXIV on my PC...and can stream through my XBOX to my TV, using my Xbox controller.

It feels like you are trying to dampen that excitement when it's honestly a great thing. I never thought I could do this without the PC part in the first place. Still equally excited about the feature.
Don't get me wrong, It's because I saw some posts here of people thinking the game will actually "run" in the Xbox One, like one guy asking if he can now use his old laptop to run powerful games in the TV using the power of his Xbox One X. When I saw your post I feel the need to clarify that your Xbox isn't actually "running" the game.

For FFXIV I think it's not the ideal since the input lag + stream would be a pain in the ass in raid bosses.
For causal runs I think you will be safe.

Don't get me wrong, It's because I saw some posts here of people thinking the game will actually "run" in the Xbox One, like one guy asking if he can now use his old laptop to run powerful games in the TV using the power of his Xbox One X. When I saw your post I feel the need to clarify that your Xbox isn't actually "running" the game.

For FFXIV I think it's not the ideal since the input lag + stream would be a pain in the ass in raid bosses.
Try fighting Omega/Final Omega/ AV/Ozma with lag is to court Death... or play it on ps4 if u want big screen

nani17

are in a big trouble
If you don't have an Xbox you can buy Steam link for 50 does the same thing I believe

Last edited:
this is MASSIVE
I've been messing with all kinds of options for a decade just to achieve this same thing
Emulators, movies, old pc games - on my 60 inch TV. GET OUTTA HERE!!!

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
But why? I mean, you still need to have your pc turned on, using electricity from both your pc and your Xbox one.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

I haven't tested it yet, but I'm equally as skeptical in that regard. It's really gotta be as close to 1 to 1 because the game itself can be a little funky when comes to dodging those danger circles.

If you don't have an Xbox you can buy Steam link for 50 does the same thing I believe

well, it's better than Steam Link since you don't need the Steam client running, it's a OS native feature.

I already tested it and it works, however I faced issues when trying to connect from the PC to the XBOX One, also the XBOX app crashed a few times but then it worked flawlessly. Fortunately my Samsung TV has the Steam Link app so I can compare both home streaming services, and imo, the Steam Link app has slightly better quality/performance, however you are required to run the Steam client, whereas the XBOX one app doesn't.

Gamezone

Gold Member
well, it's better than Steam Link since you don't need the Steam client running, it's a OS native feature.

I already tested it and it works, however I faced issues when trying to connect from the PC to the XBOX One, also the XBOX app crashed a few times but then it worked flawlessly. Fortunately my Samsung TV has the Steam Link app so I can compare both home streaming services, and imo, the Steam Link app has slightly better quality/performance, however you are required to run the Steam client, whereas the XBOX one app doesn't.

No, you don't. You can make the Steam Link boot from the desktop.

Top Bottom