• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft on XBox One X name (considered calling it Elite, Scorpio not in play)

NYR

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/06/...reveals-other-names-considered-for-xbox-one-x

While Microsoft ultimately decided to call its new console Xbox One X, other names were considered and Head of Xbox Phil Spencer shared with IGN a few of those alternate names.

"We obviously looked at 'Elite,' but we've called one of our Xbox One consoles 'Elite' already," Spencer explained, going on to note that "'S' was obviously used already."

He also spoke to the console's codename 'Scorpio' and addressed why that branding didn't carry over to the final name. "I know a lot of people wanted us to call it 'Scorpio'—Xbox One Scorpio," he said, adding, "that's a hard one to get the trademark for."

When asked if Microsoft ever considered dropping the 'One' from the console's name, Spencer replied, "No, because we have a family of consoles. Because we know different price points are important, and we know that for many customers, maybe customers who haven't jumped into this generation yet, the Xbox One S is a great console for them."

Microsoft pulled back the curtain on Xbox One X during its E3 press conference earlier today. The console will release worldwide on November 7 and be priced at $499.

I actually think if it was just Xbox One Original and Xbox One X, it'd be a fine naming scheme

I think with the Xbox One S it's like one option too far and a bit confusing but maybe that's just me

KageMaru

I guess I can understand why they named it that way, but I still think it's a stupid name. You can tell that the Pro is better by the name alone, that isn't the case with the X.

Deft Beck

I think that while it's necessary to continue with their current branding, it's going to be a bit of a mouthful for those not already used to silly hardware naming schemes.

I think the naming actually works this time. They couldn't scrap the One part for obvious reasons, but S and X as the two options make sense.

"Hey mom, I want an Xbox One X for Christmas"

*receives Xbox One S for Christmas*

I feel these names are going to cause some confusion.

NYR

They copied the HTC naming scheme. Except HTC started with the One S and One X, then launched the One (M7) iirc.
I think it's more they copied Apple and the iPhone with "S" and wanted to keep Xbox One in the name no matter what so that only left 25 letter choices and X makes the most sense.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
the last regime really fucked them over. should have never named it xbox one. should have just named it xbox, and then had xbox pro.

phant0m

For $499, the One X should have included an Elite controller, would've been a much more palatable proposition.

EYEL1NER

Cross-posting from info dump + price reveal thread:
Terrible name, but I guess they locked themselves into the dumb Xbox One naming system for this generation, so it isn't like they could have done better without dropping the "One" and figuring something else out. It was pointed out as early as the first page, but the 'X' and 'S' sounding the same makes it ridiculous too:

"Thanks for calling GameStop today, how can I help you?"
"Yeah, do you guys have the Xbox One X?"
"I'm sorry but was that an 'S' or an 'X' that you said, sir?"
"X."
"Ummm, I'm still not getting that. "An 'S,' as in 'Sierra' or an 'X' as in 'X-Ray?'"
"Xbox One X! The improved version of the Xbox One!!!"
"So... An 'S' or an 'X?'"

XboneX. XboneX does resemble a typical XBL gamertag though, so they have that going for them (need some lower-case x's to bracket it and "420" or "[MLG]" in there somewhere too). Or you've got the X110 (not quite as good as half a 360?).

I think it's more they copied Apple and the iPhone with "S" and wanted to keep Xbox One in the name no matter what so that only left 25 letter choices and X makes the most sense.

Last time I checked the Xbox Controller "s" came out wayyyyy before the iPhone (s) line hit the market.

Good. Smart marketing and product decision that is not fueled by short-term gain, acknowledging value of product family and how a new name would impact the naming schemes for future Xbox family products down the line.

Crayolan

I like that it's consistent with their previous naming scheme but for people not in the know it's not clear what S and X are supposed to represent.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I actually think the name is super silly.

Elite would be better. It actually means something like pro or deluxe.

X? When the thing is already the X box?

:/

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
"that's a hard one to get the trademark for."

Wait, what?

And the letter X is?

Maybe i'm missing something here...

Boke1879

I don't think the name is amazing and I can see it maybe causing some confusion with parents buying new system for their kids.

Overall though I can see it being ok from that aspect. The audience this is aimed at will tell the difference.

Wozman23

I really wish Microsoft was still pushing the previous Elite model.

Then we could have an "S," an "E," and an "X".

Or use the Scorpio symbol (♏) for the other option, Xbox One S & M.

After all, sex sells.

Top Bottom