• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft pitches Xbox One to small businesses

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
MS looking clueless as ever these days.

Flayer

Is that real? Like, seriously.... You can get a perfectly good laptop for half that price which is far more versatile and does all that and more.

Unless you're dead set on the Kinect hand gestures for some reason?!

nesboy43

Banned
Businesses love typing important documents, creating spreadsheets, and presentations using video game consoles that are accessing a website and saving it to "The Cloud". Businesses wouldn't prefer these documents saved locally or anything right?

Depending on how good Skype is this could be competitive. Video conferencing setups are pricy. Makes sense. The brand will work against them though.

fallagin

Hmm, I dont know if many businesses will buy into this. Maybe when kinect 2.0 comes to pc I could see it happening.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Xbox One is the square peg for every business' round hole.

MS somehow will brute force with their sheer willpower and get that square to go through the circle!

Also most companies have so many goddamn options, I highly doubt a small business wants to bring an entertainment console into the workplace

GoToMeeting already does a spiffy job

Can you imagine:
"Where's the sales team?"
"Have you seen Titanfall... they're playing it"
"Why?, they should be working"
"It's a team get together workshop, very analytical stuff taking place"
"Oh OK"

Not without precedent. the atari jaguar wasn't just a console, it was ALSO good to use in dental offices.

flexibility is the sign of a true next gen machine

miked808

That's an 87 inch screen. The xbox 1 doesn't come with an 87 inch screen. What MS are proposing replaces a laptop in functionality.

It has a HDMI output to projector which is in every conference room in every agency in D.C. where I work.

Why buy an Xbox for these features when you can already do these for free on PCs?

Unless the Xbox one comes packaged with the MS Office suite, this is a wasted venture...

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Brb, trying to convince my boss to buy a couple of these for video conferencing. Wish me luck guys!

Do you think Microsoft will try and sell the X1 as a Computer rather than a Games console? This is what Sony done with the PS3 so they didn't have to pay so much tax in the EU.

Alx

Skype is not a good solution for bussines videoconference since its a P2P based tech and lacks confidentiality.

It's still used a lot in business environment. Each time we have to set up a conference with a foreign partners, we use Skype.

onken

(the business stopped using them, because hardly anyone needs video, no-one wants to be videoed at work, using phones is much less stressful, and you can also mute and do that "he's crazy" rotating-finger-to-temple gesture at will)

You conveniently forgot to list the major selling point - screen sharing. Doing Adobe connect or whatever at the same time as a phone call is a total pain in the ass.

I think "Google Hangouts" would be more likely. It's the only thing that would match the hype of "Skype" on Xbox1.

Yeah, that as well, but I think Skype will be there to ensure that none of their competitors can get a foothold on a new market that will have tens of millions of users actively using their services that they can advertise to or make subscription fees from.

Do you think Microsoft will try and sell the X1 as a Computer rather than a Games console? This is what Sony done with the PS3 so they didn't have to pay so much tax in the EU.

That specific technology good tariff was ruled illegal by the WTO and is no longer enforced.

Because nothing screams professionalism more than videoconferencing on a video game console.

Seems like the more obvious solution is to sell kinect for PCs.

CoG

I for one cannot wait to see the cheesy infomerical MS releases out for this one!

"Hey Ted, we have a meeting with Hong Kong in 2 mins"
"Why yes we do. 'Xbox On'"

I really dont want to sound like a console warrior but i do find it disconcerting that Microsoft has a program in place to sell Xbox ones to businesses before they have educational programs set up for Student game developers.

Or, said buisness could buy a 30 bucks webcam and plug it into any of their existing networked PCs... Omg, skype machine ready !!!

d0g_bear

I wonder if any small business owners really do claim consoles as expenses for stuff like skype, browsing or whatever. That actually sounds like a sweet deal

Top Bottom