• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Raising Prices on New, First-Party Games Built for Xbox Series X|S to $70 in 2023

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Writing was on the wall. It was inevitable but it wasn't long ago Spencer was saying they weren't going to raise prices. I guess that only meant consoles. Sucks that prices are going up

The latest statement on this was in October where he said they'll raise prices on 'some' things after the Holidays.

First party games is a start, we don't know if hardware or the sub services will get increase as well.

I think if they intended to, they would have announced it at the same time. But that's just my feeling.

Ezekiel_

Banned
Next price hike
Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
No we don't.

It's actually the opposite. All things that hinted at MTX systems were removed as of the latest showing for the game.

I didn't know that. It's good if the game doesn't have any MTX now. Let's hope the retail version doesn't feature the shop.
This is some grade A concern tho, not gonna lie, you're good. ;)
Not really a concern, man. I have always maintained this stance. Full-priced games should not have MTX. F2P games are free to have MTX as their monetization model.

kyliethicc

Sony $70
Nintendo $60
Microsoft $70
Activision Blizzard $70
Take Two $70
Electronic Arts $70
Square Enix $70
Capcom $60
Ubisoft $70
Warner Bros $70
Bandai Namco $60
Sega $60
Embracer Group $70
505 Games $70
Krafton $70

looked at 15 publishers
11/4 $70/$60 split (for now)

adamsapple

I don't see Nintendo raising prices to $70 before the start of their next console cycle. They are in such a bubble that what other publishers do doesn't impact their stuff at all.

On one hand I want to say "fuck off with this" but on the other I really don't care what the price is since I hardly pre-order anything anymore. So now I just wait and hear about it/see reviews and decide at that point. If it's worth $70 then I'll pay $70 and if not I'll wait for a drop or skip it entirely.

The only people this is going to really hurt are the impatient. Like if you paid $70 for Callisto Protocol and didn't find it to be worth it then haha, stop being impatient. Otherwise wait for the inevitable quick drop and pick it up then. Or avoid it entirely like me and just wait for something worth your time.

Last edited:
The latest statement on this was in October where he said they'll raise prices on 'some' things after the Holidays.

First party games is a start, we don't know if hardware or the sub services will get increase as well.

I think if they intended to, they would have announced it at the same time. But that's just my feeling.

Maybe console hardware since I'm not aware of any cost cutting measures that they are making. Not to mention parts have been confirmed to be hit by inflation pretty hard.

As for announcing it separately they probably don't want too much bad news at once.

Remember when xboxers making fun of $70 game on ps5

Look where we are now

That darkmage guy is busy damage control hahaha
Yeah, we're two years later.

Any chance sony fans had to dunk on them for this, and not look like complete idiots has long since passed... and yet here they are.😂

It would be depressing if it weren't so hilarious. Watching the same few posters continually self own themselves repeatedly.

After not having it for a year, when the PS5 finally got around to having expandable storage, it was "Hurr dur, who's laughing now ratz?!".

When PS5 finally got VRR a a year and a half after it released, it was "Lolz, I bet they feel stoopid for all that VRR trash talk now."

Which makes this thread about Xbox announcing that games in the future will be seeing a price increase. Which will be around 2.5-3 years after Sony did so, absolutely hilarious.

MScarpa

That's shitty for people who don't do Gamepass. Continue to buy used I say. Fuck paying that much for any game. Especially when they're broken at launch.

I know they will, no one is expecting game pass to be the same price in 2050. They lasted 2 years longer than Sony making current gen games $70, though, so I’m hoping we get another couple years of gamepass at this price
Why raise the price when they didn't have any games and still don't. Next year they have games so they raise the price. Of course people are hand waiving this. Many who were railing against the Sony prices.

Bottom line is these prices suck. I didn't get a raise to cover any of this inflation or price raises. Getting poorer everyday 😭

Thankfully switch and pc games aren't that high. Plus sales and backlogs.

adamsapple

will those same 70 quid first party games come to gamepass day 1?

Of course.

It was mentioned in the official statement announcing this price increase.

We’ve held on price increases until after the holidays so families can enjoy the gift of gaming. Starting in 2023 our new, built for next-gen, full-priced games, including Forza Motorsport, Redfall, and Starfield, will launch at $69.99 USD on all platforms. This price reflects the content, scale, and technical complexity of these titles. As with all games developed by our teams at Xbox, they will also be available with Game Pass the same day they launch.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yeah, we're two years later.

Any chance sony fans had to dunk on them for this, and not look like complete idiots has long since passed... and yet here they are.😂

It would be depressing if it weren't so hilarious. Watching the same few posters continually self own themselves repeatedly.

After not having it for a year, when the PS5 finally got around to having expandable storage, it was "Hurr dur, who's laughing now ratz?!".

When PS5 finally got VRR a a year and a half after it released, it was "Lolz, I bet they feel stoopid for all that VRR trash talk now."

Which makes this thread about Xbox announcing that games in the future will be seeing a price increase. Which will be around 2.5-3 years after Sony did so, absolutely hilarious.
What would they have increased the price for in these 2 years? Which new next-gen games did they release that they could charge $70 for?

Last edited:

sinnergy

Aka they actually haven’t released a decent game that people really want to buy in the past 2.5 years
Correction that you like to buy. FH5 was pretty much worth to buy so ws Flight Simulator.. and those 2 only popped in my head within seconds , imagine what I can come up if I think 5 minutes 🤣

sinnergy

Why raise the price when they didn't have any games and still don't. Next year they have games so they raise the price. Of course people are hand waiving this. Many who were railing against the Sony prices.

Bottom line is these prices suck. I didn't get a raise to cover any of this inflation or price raises. Getting poorer everyday 😭

Thankfully switch and pc games aren't that high. Plus sales and backlogs.
Get a second job like Sony suggested years ago 😂

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You've not seen anything yet. We have some individual posters here who have ammased around 10 pages worth of posts across various unrelated threads bitching about Sony's price increases over the last 12 months or so.

Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
You're right. Ms deserves some shit but it's a bit hypocritical from those that have defended Sony in any way over the last few years.
Right.....this 33 page thread consists solely of people "accepting" what Sony did?

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA
Deserved shit. Just like this to an extent but also hypocritical and funny coming from certain posters on here.
That's funny coming from you since you made it your mission to shit on Sony about prices in every thread for months.

What's worse is that poster is always complaining about Sony prices but then he bought the most exorbitant GPU 🤷

Hypocrisy and double standard is his trademark on this board.

You're all totally right. I don't agree with 70 dollar cross gen games or 70 dollar games in general. These companies been posting record breaking numbers for years through covid.

I won't buy a single xbox game at 70 dollars either ( 70 pounds)

The only positive from this shit is I've got gamepass for years and will keep the service indefinitely so I don't have to worry about that.

So it doesn't effect me in that way. Then if I really want a game I'll just play it until it goes on sale.

I haven't purchased a single Sony game at full price this gen and I won't do it. I'll rather wait.

Last edited:
Playstation gamers have spent two years being mocked for 70 dollar games. A lot of people have egg on their face, throwing words like anti-consumer around.

Once a platform holder feels they have some kind of leverage to be aggressive with pricing they will use it. Every company is looking out for their bottom line. What you have to keep repeating to some of these people is that Microsoft is NOT in the business of losing money. You don’t get to be that huge of a company by throwing away money forever, every penny means something to them.

Theres gonna come a point where the other shoe has to drop and they switch into profit mode and its probably relatively soon with Activision coming. Game prices are just the beginning just like it was for Sony two years ago

Microsoft is gonna cash in on all that Gamepass good will eventually

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
"I don't care now that MS is doing it" Congrats.
Surprised it was another circling of the wagons to accept what was an epic long cycle of platform warring outrage hehe 😉? This time though…they are divided between the “it is good because Papa Phil is doing it” and the “genius move, GamePass best value in gaming” double down when down sales pitch 😂.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You're right. Ms deserves some shit but it's a bit hypocritical from those that have defended Sony in any way over the last few years.

Deserved shit. Just like this to an extent but also hypocritical and funny coming from certain posters on here.

You're all totally right. I don't agree with 70 dollar cross gen games or 70 dollar games in general. These companies been posting record breaking numbers for years through covid.

I won't buy a single xbox game at 70 dollars either ( 70 pounds)

The only positive from this shit is I've got gamepass for years and will keep the service indefinitely so I don't have to worry about that.

So it doesn't effect me in that way. Then if I really want a game I'll just play it until it goes on sale.

I haven't purchased a single Sony game at full price this gen and I won't do it. I'll rather wait.
See but this is it… dragged Sony over the coals metaphorically for a long time over something not affecting oneself to later turn around and just accept the situation when your company does it because it also does not affect you is well.. this thread to a T?

To remember the next time we have another outrage thread of those I guess ;)?

Accounting for inflation, A 70$ game in 2023 is less than a 60$ game in 2020. And other compaines made their games cost 70$ in 2020...
I’m so tired of seeing this kind of response to this. These companies are already making billions, it’s not like they need to charge the extra. If they can justify it, let us see the figures.

When these companies are struggling and aren’t selling millions of games a year, I’m down for inflation being a valid justification.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I’m so tired of seeing this kind of response to this. These companies are already making billions, it’s not like they need to charge the extra. If they can justify it, let us see the figures.

When these companies are struggling and aren’t selling millions of games a year, I’m down for inflation being a valid justification.
Problem of these companies being public and shareholders maybe like your pension plan or something else you or your family relies on investing their money in companies expecting RoI to pay for what they promised you… on top of that there is an unhealthy push towards continuous growth that is also unsustainable.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
See but this is it… dragged Sony over the coals metaphorically for a long time over something not affecting oneself to later turn around and just accept the situation when your company does it because it also does not affect you is well.. this thread to a T?

To remember the next time we have another outrage thread of those I guess ;)?

It does affect me though. I made a stance that I wouldn't pay that much for a game when wages haven't increased and Sony were making the most money off first party games etc.

It affected me becuase I didn't pick games up day one, had to wait and hold out for deals or cheap pre owned versions on ps5. The silver lining is it made me realise that the hype from new releases is sometimes bullcrap and that games are pretty shit at launch. Improvements are made with patches and it's better to wait.

So long story short, sonys stance affected me directly but I ended up feeling like I've won out from it anyway. No rush to play games and just buy cheaper pre owned disks for the ps5. I've signed up for ps plus extra for 3 years now so hopefully games like last of us remake come to the service within a year from launch. I can wait.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

So pro consumer. Especially for a company that has money to burn compared to the competition.…. Next gamepass prices increases

John Wick

That's funny coming from you since you made it your mission to shit on Sony about prices in every thread for months.

What's worse is that poster is always complaining about Sony prices but then he bought the most exorbitant GPU 🤷

Hypocrisy and double standard is his trademark on this board.
100% agree. It's crazy people crying about £30 price rise on PS5 due to inflation and energy crisis etc yet people are more than happy to pay Nvidia silly money for their GPU's which are overpriced by hundreds.

I love how everyone is dunking on Microsoft when this will be 2.5 years after Sony made the change.
It’s been 2 years for sony. Also…MS didn’t release a single game for the past year lol. They are doing this 2 years later because half if those 2 years they released nothing.
They are shipping 3 new AAA titles in 2023. Like Sony did for 2022. 3 or 4 AAA games per year seems like a decent number to me, obviously Microsoft screwed up for 2022.
Forbidden West, Ragnarok, TLOU Remake, Gran Turismo 7. 4 AAA games

Last edited:

Zathalus

It’s been 2 years for sony. Also…MS didn’t release a single game for the past year lol. They are doing this 2 years later because half if those 2 years they released nothing.

Didn't release a game this year? They did release several, all of them rather good. They were not AAA games certainly, but they were games.

I forgot about TLOU, but to be fair it's not something I would classify as "new".

Didn't release a game this year? They did release several, all of them rather good. They were not AAA games certainly, but they were games.

I forgot about TLOU, but to be fair it's not something I would classify as "new".
Its a new AAA release that looks AAA in every sense of the word.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I would put money that if starfield launched this year and redfall they both would have been 60 dollars. This isn't some plan that Microsoft have had all along. Games got delayed like every other game, then the recession hit and inflation is through the roof.

It's shit whichever way you look at it but I don't think it's the conspiracy some are making it out to be.

solidus12

MS waiting longer to charge more because it's only now their new, next-gen games are slated to come.

If it's not different, then please do tell me what will Xbox offer for the additional $10? At least, PS5 game versions offer haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, Tempest audio, etc.

But what will Xbox offer for the now-increased $70 price?
Hardware based Raytracing.
Mesh Shaders
FSR 2.1
Faster loading due to Velocity architecture.

And other buzz words I forgot 🤡

Last edited:

Filben

As a PC player mainly, key resellers and Game Pass are getting even more attractive. Also, with the sales on Steam and other resellers, no one have to pay the full price if you're willing to wait two or three months.

Top Bottom