• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Releasing Exclusive Games on PC Is Great for Xbox Owners

header.jpg

With this mornings rumor that Quantum Break will also be releasing on the PC alongside the Xbox One version I, like usual, saw folk online lamenting the “loss” of an exclusive game for their console or saying that MS was now “down” another exclusive. Same goes for when ReCore was announced for PC or Sea of Thieves - seems like this always happens with a PC announcement.

I don’t understand why some folk only see this movement as a negative thing. Sure, if you just shelled out money for a console to specifically play a game, to be released in the future, and have just found out that game will be playable on your platform of choice I can sympathise, but if you're just an Xbox One owner there are so many positives that can be taken from MS launching games on PC.

It should go without saying that games are a risky venture. It’s not as often as many would like that a creative, unique or just plain old great game is met with financial success. Just look at what Shuhei Yoshida said last year about the profitability of games.

With the risk of AAA games increasing every generation we’ve (or at least I have) come to look to first party publishers more and more to release more interesting, financially dangerous, titles that stand out from the crowd a bit more than other publishers. Unfortunately, as those waiting for a Sunset Overdrive or Alan Wake successor know, the games don’t always meet with enough success to get followed up by a sequel.

Alan Wake was a game that eventually sold (admittedly a large amount via bundles) around 1.5 million on Xbox 360 but did not sell enough early on to justify the development of a sequel. With Remedy unable to secure funding for Alan Wake 2 they moved onto Quantum Break, once again partnering with Microsoft.

I'm not saying that I’d rather not have Quantum Break (terribly excited for it) but would the above situation have been the case if the PC version of the Alan Wake launched day and date with the 360 release? Games often need to have success early on in order to get justify a sequel. With the PC port of Alan Wake eventually selling more than console I don’t think it is too much of a leap of logic to think that things may have turned out differently for Alan Wake if there had been a couple hundred thousand PC copies sold in the game's launch window.

Having an influx of PC players also expands game populations for both parties. Of course a Windows Store exclusive fighting game won’t have the active population of something like SF:V on Steam but, thanks to cross-play, both platforms will have the advantage of another player pool to match against. Same goes with multiplayer focused games like Sea of Thieves - increase the amount of friends who you can go swashbuckling with. And with Microsoft making a point about being able to match players depending on controller type you should still be able to play against players using your prefered input device if you so choose it.

Opening up Xbox will help Microsoft games become more successful which will allow for projects like Alan Wake 2 or even more risky new IP to happen and even allow for a bigger community for games you care about. Is "losing" justification for owning your console not worth having more successful games? Wouldn't you rather have Alan Wake 2 right now than have had that launch exclusively on the first game? What matters more 5 years down the road?

Bessy67

I don't really see it as a bad thing, but it definitely makes me less likely to buy any future console from MS. And it's pretty shitty that they're going to keep charging a subscription from console owners when PC owners are getting the same experience with most of the same games for free.

Tizoc

Errr this is no different to PS4 Console exclusive games.
If you like your console and enjoy playing on it, and the games on it run and perform well then you shouldn't worry about such a thing.
I mean if I had an X1 I'd double dip on Killer Instinct @_@

fantomena

PC should be all about options. Release the games on both Steam and Win 10 Store so people can decide where to buy them from.

allan-bh

It's great for consumers overall and great for Microsoft.

For Xbox One owners as long as the games keep coming out, it's indifferent, but you have a point of this allowing more investments in AAA.

kadotsu

Banned
The only problem I could see in the later years of this console cycle for both PS4 and XBO "console exclusive" games is that a publisher might give no shit about performance on console because the PC version is available for those who don't want a stuttering mess. In short: the Bethesda Axiom.

Jawmuncher

Why buy a xbox and pay for xbox live gold if a can buy a PC and get better graphics, free online and cheaper games?

That's true, but let's be fair here for the masses that ain't gonna happen. Majority wills till see the Xbox one as the easier course of action even with gold applied.

Rocketz

Agreed. It's good for business which is what Microsoft is setting out to do. Releasing games that a wide audience can purchase will fund future games and that's all I care about.

The only problem I could see in the later years of this console cycle for both PS4 and XBO "console exclusive" games is that a publisher might give no shit about performance on console because the PC version is available for those who don't want a stuttering mess. In short: the Bethesda Axiom.

Well console gamers won't have to worry about that with WB.

Takao

Banned
You should really drop "exclusive" from your title because I came in here expecting you to rationalize how MS releasing PC-only games was good for Xbox owners.

Jrs3000

Why buy a xbox and pay for xbox live gold if a can buy a PC and get better graphics, free online and cheaper games?

Free games every month, no need to worry about upgrading as games get more advance, simplicity, every game isn't coming to PC, personal preference.

allan-bh

I don't believe in that, console versions sells a lot and play on PC is not a option for millions (either because they can't or don't want).

Chris1

I don't care about it but having to play online while PC uses the exact same services gets it free is pretty bullshit, it's also why I don't think any major multiplayer game will make it to PC that isn't a remaster.

Single player focus / F2P / Remaster will probably all go on PC, but multiplayer focused games like Halo? Don't see it.

LostDonkey

As far as we know MS dont make any money from Xbox hardware so they probably don't give a shit if you throw your toys out the pram and decide "because it's coming to PC I'm not buying an Xbox evvvveeerrrrrrr...."

They make money on software and services and the more platforms those software and services are available on the better it is for them. It's not hard to understand. Die hard console only players aren't going to go full retard because a game is available on PC as well, and if you're shouting that you're getting rid of your Xbox because a game is coming to PC, then you probably didn't want one in the first place. And you need help.

I'll never understand the attitude of some people when it comes to exclusive games. They are the bane of the industry. The more games in the hands of more people the better it is for everyone.

It's great for all gamers:?the more money MS makes on games the easier it is to justify funding more. Plus, the more people who play it on PC are still adding to their MAU counts which is what they are pushing to investors now rather than consoles sold.

Swarna

There's no extra justification needed for buying an XB1 over a PC. Random people aren't making a decision between the two outside of neogaf. These are different markets, mostly.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

In the later years of a cycle console games run like shit. At the end of last gen almost everything was sub 30 fps and sub 720p. So that won't change, it's already like that.

SMattera

There's no extra justification needed for buying an XB1 over a PC. Random people aren't making a decision between the two outside of neogaf. These are different markets, mostly.

Yeah.

There's a certain group of extremely hardcore gamers that mostly play on PC but bought an Xbox One just for the handful of exclusives, but there are not many of them.

aravuus

The more multiplat games there are, the happier I am

I can't afford every console there is and even if I did, I'd still much rather play the games on PC

Tadie

Mhh so I connected my PC to my TV. So maybe I should now sell my Xbox One?
I have a PS4 + WiiU as well.

If putting their games on Windows 10 means I have a greater chance of getting a sequel then do it.

The choice/more people can play it thing is nice but not something I really care about because exclusives happen and ms are entitled to go exclusive if they want so my interest in it boils purely down to whether releasing a game elsewhere increases my chances of getting a sequel because they can make more money.
If the answer is yes it does then I am pleased about that

dr_rus

I'd say that this is unlikely as even an XBO version of a multiplatform title should sell better than a PC version in the later years of this console cycle.

Not sure it's good for Xbox owners, per say.
If the Xbox sells poorly less games and less effort towards ports will be made for it.
Exclusives are the only reason one would pick up a X1 over a PS4 or sticking to PC
But, on the other hand it's good for these partnerships and for the developers if it means they won't go under if the game bombs.
this is admittedly from someone who doesn't have an Xbox

Xando

PC has a higher entry price compared to consoles. I think the casual crowd doesn't want to pay 600-1000€ for a PC and goes for the cheaper console (which i think atleast in MS case is more of a low end PC with custom software).

What MS seems to do now is that they want to sell their first party games (which are mostly strugling on XB1 but production value goes higher and higher for AAA games) to both crowds. The more casual console audience and the more enthusiast PC audience.

Aceofspades

Banned
that would be great for me, PS4 only owner :)

Would love to try some X1 exclusives without investing in Xbox one or Live ecosystem.

Elios83

I don't think it's good for Xbox at all.
It's still good for Microsoft hence why they're doing it. And of course it's good for consumers.
But there is no doubt that people with a good PC have little reason to buy a Xbox.

Yeah, try asking PS4-only users how they feel about it.

Only console warriors will spin it as a bad thing.

Yep, this.

The way I see it: Ms and Sony should release all exclusive games on pc. Maybe at a much later date, but still.

Console users would still buy the game, same way they buy Fifa or CoD in droves (multiplat games).

Exclusivity just hinders our hobby.

Dynasty

I see exclusives as a necessary evil so if MS can be successful with the X1 with little or zero 'true' exclusive since they are going to PC as well as X1, then that is good for us gamers because it gives us more options.

Flintty

Xbox One/Wii U gamer here. I don't give a monkeys. In fact I'm happy that more people get to play the game. Doesn't affect me negatively in the slightest.

Personal preference but I really don't get on with PC gaming. I only ever used my PC for WoW and Marvel Heroes.

Plug and play consoles with no fuss sofa gaming is for me.

Why did I buy a Xbox One again? As a Day 1 owner I feel like I've made the most stupid purchase ever.

Well, some games are (and will be) totally exclusive.

And some of those games are awesome.

If you don't feel the same way, go on and sell your console. It's better than complaining on gaf.

Oh wait.

Fox Mulder

Exclusives are the only reason to pick up a Xbox one, but it makes sense to give them to PC too with the ps4 sales gap.

LostDonkey

I don't think it's good for Xbox at all.
It's still good for Microsoft hence why they're doing it. And of course it's good for consumers.
But there is no doubt that people with a good PC have little reason to buy a Xbox.

And people with decent PC'S have very little reason to buy a surface, or a windows phone etc, but they do because they offer different experiences. It's not as clear cut as you're trying to make out.

MS are a software company. They will attempt to get their software on as many devices as possible.

Dahaka

Why did I buy a Xbox One again? As a Day 1 owner I feel like I've made the most stupid purchase ever.

If you have a PC and even a PS4 (like me), then yes. Not stupid but kinda redundant....
Sure there is stuff like Forza (which is a damn great series) and Halo but that's all unfortunately. At least to me.

KingBroly

Banned
If you like your console and enjoy playing on it, and the games on it run and perform well then you shouldn't worry about such a thing.
I mean if I had an X1 I'd double dip on Killer Instinct @_@

There's no Double Dipping on KI. It's cross-buy. At least...I thought it was.

Man

Hoping they do so for Halo 5 as well. It's the one exclusive I'm really irking to get my hands on.

still dont see why they dont just have big xbox one games available on PC that are locked behind a microsoft storefront and online play requires a gold account

like...are more people going to be likely to buy a PC capable of playing those games or an xbox one? and pc gamers who wouldn't have otherwise touched an xbox might get a few games and a gold account--getting you money you otherwise wouldn't have

I feel the same lol

If this trend continues and as a owner of a capable PC and a glorious PS4 there is no reason for me to own a XB1. Buying remorse is kicking hard right now.

Top Bottom