• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Removes Offline Day One Update From Website

That file was never designed to replace the day one update. Its a recovery file in case something goes wrong. Instead of risking customers get themselves into a bad state by installing the file, we are going to troubleshoot on a case-by-case basis. It is not a replacement for the online update.

Give those an option to download it from a computer, Penello.

MoeB

The system is already a brick without that update.

390551_231839933545595_997231072_a.jpg

Whats the big deal? What the difference if you have high speed internet to downloading it on your PC or hooking your XBox up to live to download it? The only advantage would be having the update pre-downloaded for when you pick your console up.

The only true issue would be people who dont have high speed net access and would need to go to a public computer to download it and update it at home. That's a real issue

Whats the big deal? What the difference if you have high speed internet to downloading it on your PC or hooking your XBox up to live to download it? The only advantage would be having the update pre-downloaded for when you pick your console up.

The only true issue would be people who dont have high speed net access and would need to go to a public computer to download it and update it at home. That's a real issue
As history has shown us release after release (sim city, Diablo 3, CoD, etc), there will be a huge spike in traffic and as a result services will either be down entirely or very, very slow. Having the file update on hand ensure you can have it installed immediately instead of waiting on long download times.

As history has shown us release after release (sim city, Diablo 3, CoD, etc), there will be a huge spike in traffic and as a result services will either be down entirely or very, very slow. Having the file update on hand ensure you can have it installed immediately instead of waiting on long download times.

Thats assuming Microsoft doesnt have server stability. which they sure as hell do. XBox live handles just as much traffic on a daily basis as it will at launch of the One. Not to mention the download server for the patch is likely the same between a PC and downloading it on the console directly

therealPeterman

Neo Member

That's what I have to do. I drag my consoles, desktop, and laptop to a local school to download updates and the sort. It sucks, but that's life in the sticks. I do have a 4G connection on my cell but it's a 8GB cap.

RotBot

All I know is if I hadn't downloaded the PS4 update beforehand, it would have taken me over 4 hours to download from the console on day one, if the initial speed was anything to go by.

Marcel

Tough shit. If you buy a console that needs Internet even briefly when you have no way to get 'net, nowhere to plug it in with 'net it is your own damned fault.

OMG, it needs electricity too, what about those rural parents without electricity?

You don't work for Microsoft anymore, Adam. I know it's hard to accept but it's over. Time to turn in your professional console warrior badge.

Dukey

Banned
The good thing about the people without Internet who find out they can't update their console is we won't have to hear about it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Has there seriously been a single piece of good news about the Xbone launch at this point?

It just seems to be one thing after another after another. I can't believe how badly MS is handling pretty much everything about this.

zma1013

There should be a law or something where an electronic device should be able to do its basic main function out of the box. This is stupid.

How much of an issue is this really? Like how many people are going to buy an Xbox One at launch and not have the ability to hook it up to the internet for 20 minutes? I'm moving in a few weeks, so will be without internet during that time. I'm glad that MS reversed their policy about the online check-in for that reason. But honestly, this seems like such a storm in a teacup.

Its not really one at all. But what's wrong with more options? More over, think about it from a matter of principal, who's going to notice this sort? Hint the people who are gonna be vocal about it. Its not the casual crowd. They don't even know This is going on. But the "hardcore" (god I hate this sort of label but) will, the ones with the pitchforks cause of all the PR nonsense that has already gone on. You know, the kind of people who are going to give you over a million sales in one day. Yet they continue to shoot themselves in the foot with this group of people. Microsoft, just stop.

Guevara

Has there seriously been a single piece of good news about the Xbone launch at this point?

It just seems to be one thing after another after another. I can't believe how badly MS is handling pretty much everything about this.

It has a Youtube app. And at launch even.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

The recently revealed white Xbone that people at MS got looked pretty sweet. They won't sell it to you, but uh... y'know. That's kinda close to good news.

iammeiam

Did anybody who got a console early actually use the downloaded recovery thing on a USB stick instead of downloading the patch? The way the MS rep quoted in the locked thread referred to it, it sounded like whatever they yanked from the website might not have actually enabled everything the day one patch does, but I don't necessarily believe that.

Gestault

That file was never designed to replace the day one update. Its a recovery file in case something goes wrong. Instead of risking customers get themselves into a bad state by installing the file, we are going to troubleshoot on a case-by-case basis. It is not a replacement for the online update.

If something went wrong, as you described, how exactly would they start up the system to access the system version information to be able to download the correct file?

What about the people in rural areas with no internet access, that like to play the single player campaigns in shooters?
In my opinion that's their fault, its been known for months now you are basically buying a $500 brick if not plugged in to the Matrix

Shiggy

In my opinion that's their fault, its been known for months now you are basically buying a $500 brick if not plugged in to the Matrix

Nobody but the customer is at fault when buying the Xbox One and its games such as Ryse and Forza 5. Serves those people right.

Top Bottom