• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft renews Scalebound trademark

I know the focus was heavily on Thuban (the dragon) and Drew's relationship, but they really should have delved more into the combat (what P* is known for) blended with actually showing off the world of the game.

I always got the feeling that there just wasn't much of the world ready to show off, like the game was still really early or just not coming together in a timely fashion, hence the type of previews we ended up getting.

atr0cious

Pretty much

Noone is saying MS is innocent, or Platinum is innocent, but it's obvious both parties played a part in its cancellation. If it was 100% on MS, we would have heard about it from Twitter instead Kamiya was all apologetic. That tells me Platinum had a part in it.
That's not how it works. It's the same reason the writer for naughty dog was all smiles despite an obvious not amicable split. Kamiya at the end of the day has people to pay and the last thing they're gonna do is talk shit about a major platform holder, especially when they still make multiplatform games and will still be in contact with them for tech support. Not to mention, the ndas would shut the platinum studio down if he started talking about the details of their arrangement.

And yes, just like Nintendo will hold the L on Star Fox zero, Microsoft must take the blame for the project they mismanaged, especially if the talk of moving deadlines and requirements has truth to it.

Head.spawn

Now that I disagree. The game was awesome from the first gameplay shown.

I mean, just look at that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHGwsufc_Vw

Name me one single open world game that makes this gameplay look bad.

This is when we found out Scalebound wasn't a DMC/Bayonetta-like with it's combat. That was a sad day to see all that awkward animation and to find out he's making a hack n slash button masher.

Just my opinion anyways.

edit: remembered that tweet a bit wrong, it was something from gamescom iirc.

Zeta Oni

I always got the feeling that there just wasn't much of the world ready to show off, like the game was still really early or just not coming together in a timely fashion, hence the type of previews we ended up getting.

There was, at the very least, more than what we got at gamescom and E3:

Scaleboundtown.gif

Chris1

That's not how it works. It's the same reason the writer for naughty dog was all smiles despite an obvious not amicable split. Kamiya at the end of the day has people to pay and the last thing they're gonna do is talk shit about a major platform holder, especially when they still make multiplatform games and will still be in contact with them for tech support. Not to mention, the ndas would shut the platinum studio down if he started talking about the details of their arrangement.

And yes, just like Nintendo will hold the L on Star Fox zero, Microsoft must take the blame for the project they mismanaged, especially if the talk of moving deadlines and requirements has truth to it.
Your post would make sense if Kamiya didn't already shit on MS publicly over even less. Don't you remember his tweets calling MS shits etc?

If it was 100% MS that fucked over his dream project and Platinum had nothing to do with the cancellation, kamiya would make it known one way or another lol, and he sure as hell wouldn't be out all apologetic etc.

Wagram

One of the hilarious things that came out of the cancellation was certain Xbox fanboys stating that Platinum stole all of Microsoft's money and funneled it to other Project's like Nier: Automata. Hilarious.

I would be interested in them reviving this at some point. It's an interesting concept.

One of the hilarious things that came out of the cancellation was certain Xbox fanboys stating that Platinum stole all of Microsoft's money and funneled it to other Project's like Nier: Automata. Hilarious.

I would be interested in them reviving this at some point. It's an interesting concept.
lmao

Cranster

Banned

One of the hilarious things that came out of it's cancelation was the non Xbox One owners claiming it was a higly anticipated title capable of moving console sales and was a huge PR blunder to cancel it...
It wasn't!

hesido

I think people have read too much into this. I know about corporate behaviour as much as the next neogaf user (read: close to 0) but if it hadn't already been pointed out, there could be a few explanations:

• The IP is indeed alive (this for me is unlikely)
  • Someone forgot to remove the trademark renewal scheduled task.
  • Microsoft is not ready to let go of the name for others to snatch up after all the trademark time they have spent.

bitbydeath

Scalebound wasn't just being received negatively... it was failing to generate pretty much any discussion beyond that... until it got cancelled.

There was two months between the thread for MGR you posted, and the one I did... it hardly took long to win people over with what was shown. Scalebound was getting negative feedback for years. It's a nonsense comparison.

Don't read too much into the low discussion for Xbox threads, the Gears 4 OT for example is just 175 pages long and that is one of the biggest games on Xbox.

NMS also received negative feedback for years, it did OK and people would come from far and wide to shit on it.

Horizon was hated? Where? Perhaps one in every 100 person would say something bad about the game, but it was mostly praise.

Most of the praise (the real praise) didn't come til after people got their hands on it, before then it was largely looked down upon as a 'Ubisoft' type game.

What makes you think they were.

There's a lot of things I can imagine being the direct effect of a publisher doing a poor job... but the core gameplay mechanics looking bad? Why would that be?

You do realise that if a publisher is putting a lot of demands on a team it can affect their ability to work properly? I'm not saying that was the case here but it does happen. Also maybe its MS fault why the game was being shown in the state that it was, maybe it wasn't ready but they were pushing Platinum to sow it off.

One of the hilarious things that came out of it's cancelation was the non Xbox One owners claiming it was a higly anticipated title capable of moving console sales and was a huge PR blunder to cancel it...
It wasn't!

No one said it was capable of moving console sales. And it was cancelling a huge PR blunder because in the months following, it brought Microsoft's first party output into question to the point Phil had to come out and damage control both on Twitter and in interviews several times.

Okay then, ignoring True Fantasy Live Online for a moment, MS has done little to get more JP support.
And none of it worked. Level 5 games have never sold better than either Final or Dragon Quest series MS made more of an effort with the 360 and got some BIG hitting RPG's and even for a week outsold the PS3 when the exclusive 360 Ace Combat 6 shipped in Japan, but in the end, it made no major impact the 360 was outsold massively by other systems

So why you think a Level 5 original Xbox game could make any difference is beyond me

Top Bottom