• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Responds to Optimized Launch Game Performance Issues

Jerm411

aha, because that waiting thing is an xbox exclusive right? The Last Guardian says hello maybe?

Nah it’s not exclusive to them...but they’re the goddamn masters of it.

It’s always wait until the next show/year/game/console refresh etc.

skneogaf

Are there any pictures of the xbox series developer's kit? I remember the ps5 one with the big V shape thing.

I'm now believing that from what we have seen this far both xbox series consoles will improve to a point of performance not being an issue in comparison to the ps5.

Cato

Banned
Am I the only one sick of hearing this? It's a nice punchline but literally no one here is only comparing teraflops. No one.

Can we get the mods to ban this phrase please? It's so disingenuous.

I'm only half way joking but it's super annoying.

Eh? You new here?
There was absolutely a huge number of people not just comparing TFs but declaring the lesser console crippled since it has less TF.

And still we have Tsushima, running on the weakest console of last gen and looking better than any other game last gen.
Maybe TF is not that important but what matter is what a skilled developer does with the limited resources available.

jimbojim

Banned
I saw big framerate collapses in PS5 Call Of Duty, Dirt 5, Valhalla. It probably downclocks a lot with those as evidence, probably why people think it's a bug.

In COD was a bug, as later NXG and DF, VGTech said it was. Valhalla on PS5 was butchered by Ubisoft. Unpatched PS5 version is way better than patched XSX version, although they say PS5 version remained the same after the patch. Dirt 5 drop was on very specific points on track for no reason, even if scene isn't demanding. It's very good for Xbox owners to see how their XSX fails in comparisons. Just to see a reality and stay on the ground

Last edited:

LMJ

So, neither the SeX or the PS5 are anywhere near their theoretical maximum of what they can achieve...

I think some people are in for a huge shock when it comes to the graphical fidelity of both consoles, I easily expect future games to best the fabled Epic PS5 demo, just look at launch titles on the PS4/Xbone and the latest releases if you need a reminder what familiarity can do for game development lol

That said I'll be honest, it sort of feels like MS wasn't prepared for this generation... or at least this launch date

The lackluster lineup (including the poor showing of Halo Inf)
The mediocre game shows that featured trailers that aren't even close to production yet (Rare wasn't even sure how theirs would play)
The lack of showing what their new studios are doing (Sans DoubleFine GO PSYCHONAUTS 2)
And now the development struggles of many games being outperformed at worst or on par at best with a weaker rival after all the "best evers" talk

To be fair The Wuhan virus certainly threw everyone for a loop, so they can't be blamed for everything, but Sony seems to be far more prepared in comparison to last gen.

kuncol02

Banned
And still we have Tsushima, running on the weakest console of last gen
It not only don't look better than any other game last gen it also is not running on weakest console of last gen. That would be WiiU, or if you don't count Nintendo then XBox One is weaker by quite a big margin (30% slower GPU and slower RAM).

Cato

Banned
It not only don't look better than any other game last gen it also is not running on weakest console of last gen. That would be WiiU, or if you don't count Nintendo then XBox One is weaker by quite a big margin (30% slower GPU and slower RAM).

Ah, so now everything has changed again and OG PS4 was the most powerful console all last gen?
Or the idea is that WiiU was less powerful? WiiU when ever was that console relevant?
Why did MS and all the MS fanbois lie all this time and say Xbox-updated was the most powerful console last gen?
They were all lying? Go away silly fanboi.

OG PS4 is significantly less powerful than the XBOX-most-powerful-console-evar last gen, still Tsushima on OG PS4 looks and plays better than anything else last gen.

Silly TF or Power numbers don't mean anything unless your studios know how to use whatever power they have to work with.

TL;DR I don't really care if my console is most powerful or not. I care about the games. If you care more about theoretical hw performance than the actual games, I would be sad to be you. But hey, to each his own.

Last edited:

Onironauta

Ah, so now everything has changed again and OG PS4 was the most powerful console all last gen?
Or the idea is that WiiU was less powerful? WiiU when ever was that console relevant?
Why did MS and all the MS fanbois lie all this time and say Xbox-updated was the most powerful console last gen?
They were all lying? Go away silly fanboi.

OG PS4 is significantly less powerful than the XBOX-most-powerful-console-evar last gen, still Tsushima on OG PS4 looks and plays better than anything else last gen.

Silly TF or Power numbers don't mean anything unless your studios know how to use whatever power they have to work with.

TL;DR I don't really care if my console is most powerful or not. I care about the games. If you care more about theoretical hw performance than the actual games, I would be sad to be you. But hey, to each his own.
Xbox One X (6 TF) was the most powerful console last gen, while the base Xbox One (1.3) was the weakest (WiiU aside). So PS4 (1.8) and PS4 Pro (4.2) were neither the strongest nor weakest, it's not that hard to understand.

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
Xbox One X was the most powerful console last gen, while the base Xbox One was the weakest (WiiU aside). So PS4 and PS4 Pro were neither the strongest nor weakest, it's not that hard to understand.

Ok, I can buy that (except WiiU was never really a contender).

But as you say, last gen Xbox had both the least powerful console and also the most powerful console.
Sonys console, the mass market one was MARGINALLY more powerful that the OG XBOX last gen.
Still Tsushima is not marginally better looking than other games. It is massively better.

This gen, already Xbox has a ver low power console and a very high power console. Difference now is that the baseline PS5 console is about par with the high-end console, not the low end console.
And things will turn out differently this time?

TF and theoretical performance does not mean much. What matters is how well you use the limited resources you have available.
That is why Tsushima on the weakest ps4 console has lightyear better looks that the strongest other console last year.

ZywyPL

Banned
[...] just look at launch titles on the PS4/Xbone and the latest releases if you need a reminder what familiarity can do for game development lol

I look at inFamous, Killzone, DC, Ryse, TO1886 etc., then I look at games released in this and previous year, and... yeah, I don't see any progress at all throughout those 7 years, even a decline I'd say, only the most visually impressive games of the past months are on par with games released back in 2013, so that's not a good example...

But I get what you want to say, today's games are said to not even utilize the RDNA2 architecture gains but are supposedly still running in GCN legacy mode, let alone use any additional features the new architecture brings, streaming from the SSDs is not fully utilized yet as well, so there's a lot of room for potential improvements, but on the other hand, RT already puts the consoles down to their knees, and if the geometry becomes even more complex than it already is RT will become equally more demanding, so I'm afraid that while in some areas the games will indeed progress in the upcoming years, shortcuts in others will be inevitable. RT itself can and most likely will continue to be further optimized obviously, but the question is how far the optimization can go? because you cannot push the hardware any further than ins peak theoretical performance.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Yeah, but with variable clocks max. theoretical number is much more achievable and less power will be left on the table
no .period. is just that Devs had os5 devkit in their hands months before they received xbox devkits ..basically xsx/s games are port of pc games (for this reason valhalla have the same bugs on both)

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Nah it’s not exclusive to them...but they’re the goddamn masters of it.

It’s always wait until the next show/year/game/console refresh etc.

The Last Guardian was announced for PS3 11 years after its release date, and was not available for ps3 either. Masters of it, yeah.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
One game?

Actually, one team. It was a running joke at Sony that Ueda's lot were seemingly incapable of hitting deadlines, hence Shu Yoshida referring to them as the Olympic team.

Compare that with the rocky road so many titles have on Xbox, Sony on the whole run their ship a lot more smoothly. Its not even debatable really.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Thought I'd post this in here. Anybody had the system update and got Dirt 5. Well played the image quality mode on arcade the 1st track and it seems to run a lot better. I don't think its placebo as I was comparing the framerate mode v image quality 2 days ago and the difference between them especially at the start with all cars on the grid was night and day. But now it seems to perform very simalar in both modes.
Note: just a quick test can anybody else give it a test.

Last edited:
Eh? You new here?
There was absolutely a huge number of people not just comparing TFs but declaring the lesser console crippled since it has less TF.

And still we have Tsushima, running on the weakest console of last gen and looking better than any other game last gen.
Maybe TF is not that important but what matter is what a skilled developer does with the limited resources available.

Big brain think here

MonarchJT

Banned
Yeah, yeah, tools excuse.
absolutely yes . tools. as reported by John of DF from tom warren and by Microsoft itself. on the other hand, as you can see, even the ps5 specs are seeing different (from paper) results in the real world. take for example the famous ssd and all the I / O customization practically the two consoles load the games in the same way and absolutely don't reflect those 22 GB / s of maximum rate that cerny told us. why? it is called optimization. we will see the true speed of the ps5 along the generation .. and we will see the TFs of the x series in the same way.
Launch games never told us any real story in any generation...expecially when two console are this close. incidentally we must not forget that the two consoles cost the same

Last edited:

jimbojim

Banned
absolutely yes . tools. as reported by John of DF from tom warren and by Microsoft itself.

Tom Warren LOL
Lg8GVNi.jpg

John's said about his private messages about XSX tools is based on some anecdotes,. not some official confirmation. Microsoft's statement is just a damage control since PS5 is outperforming XSX in some games. MS must save XSXs face. LOL Anyway, Dirt 5 dev around 2 weeks ago said that XSX devkits are more stable, faster than X1 devkits. Tools surely aren't excuse at all for some worse XSXs performance in games compared to PS5. GDKs existed in 2019 as preview devkits.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Tom Warren LOL
Lg8GVNi.jpg

John's said about his private messages about XSX tools is based on some anecdotes,. not some official confirmation. Microsoft's statement is just a damage control since PS5 is outperforming XSX in some games. MS must save XSXs face. LOL Anyway, Dirt 5 dev around 2 weeks ago said that XSX devkits are more stable, faster than X1 devkits. Tools surely aren't excuse at all for some worse XSXs performance in games compared to PS5. GDKs existed in 2019 as preview devkits.
there's nothing wrong in what tom.said....the xsx have more tf bw and cpu ..if it perform worst there's something wrong on software side....sure we can agree that 12tf are theorical perf...but also this 10tf expecially when those are officially "variable"

jimbojim

Banned
there's nothing wrong in what tom.said....the xsx have more tf bw and cpu ..if it perform worst there's something wrong on software side....sure we can agree that 12tf are theorical perf...but also this 10tf expecially when those are officially "variable"

CPU difference is totally meaningless
Nothing wrong what Tom said? Besides last sentence everything is wrong. And also, as i've mentioned it, PS5 variable clocks aren't so variable as you, Xbox fans and Tom, hoping it will be.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

indeed the tools problem part of performance issues on XSX but what funny is before lot of people refute that devs would be troubled with optimization process by claiming that MS has prepared toolkit that would made port and optimization easier. it should not be a problem at all they said. "Just press the button!" then where it is now? despite lot of people keep saying its not all that simple. not to mention to the point some people think optimization merely simply all about lowering graphical setting and resolution only.

and we see how its going on both XSX and XSS. hopefully MS dont prolong the issue. it could impact their long term momentum.

Last edited:
Top Bottom