• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft results (Pretty good quarter)

GhaleonEB

frankthurk said:
ugh how do you format this....

Period Quarter 2006 2007 2008
Jul-Sep Q1---------------0.9-----1.8
Oct-Dec Q2------1.5-----4.5
Jan-Mar Q3------1.7-----0.5
Apr-Jun Q4 -----1.8------0.7
Total--------------5-------6.6------1.8

dash formatting, sweet!

Are these accurate? If so then weather or not it dropped depends (as just about always) on how you massage the numbers. Q2 07 is where all the sales are but at the very least, Q1 2008 is double Q1 2007.

Here's the numbers by quarter, organized by fiscal year:

Code:
Period	Quarter	2006	2007	2008
Jul-Sep	Q1		0.9	1.8
Oct-Dec	Q2	1.5	4.5	
Jan-Mar	Q3	1.7	0.5	
Apr-Jun	Q4	1.8	0.7	
Total		5	6.6	1.8
LTD 13.4

And by calendar year:

Code:
Period	Quarter	Fiscal	2005	2006	2007
Jan-Mar	Q1	Q3		1.7	0.5
Apr-Jun	Q2	Q4		1.8	0.7
Jul-Sep	Q3	Q1		0.9	1.8
Oct-Dec	Q4	Q2	1.5	4.5	

Total			1.5	8.9	3

AniHawk said:
So at this rate, how long is it going to take Sony to catch up to Microsoft?

jordanavatar.gif

Why do the "usual suspects" care if MS made a profit or not???

And the thought that Bill Gates would risk to going to prison to fudge the figures is laughable!

Cracking figure and sets them up nicely for the biggest 4th quarter, I expect there will be a mountainous profit from the entertainment division.

It's amazing they keep making money somehow even with Vista's flop and the games studio losing money. I'd guess it's because of companies like Dell have to pay them and all their patents

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
ElectricBlue187 said:
It's amazing they keep making money somehow even with Vista's flop and the games studio losing money. I'd guess it's because of companies like Dell have to pay them and all their patents

Huh? Vista hit 20 million and other marks way faster than XP ever did.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ElectricBlue187 said:
Is it? I must be out of the loop I thought the launch was a dud.

I think this addresses some of that perception:

WSJ said:
Microsoft’s new Vista operating system is low-hanging fruit for bloggers: A large number of the people who use it don’t like it, and they’re always happy to let us know. The new version of Microsoft’s Office hasn’t generated much buzz either.

But Vista and Office are generating something much more important than buzz: money. Microsoft today reported first-quarter revenue of $13.76 billion, a 27% increase from the same quarter last year, and operating income of $5.9 billion, up from $4.5 billion the year-ago quarter. But it was the business units that include Windows and Office that stole the show: Between them, the two units accounted for $6 billion in operating income. The rest of the company combined to lose $143 million. Microsoft credited the new operating system and the new version of Office for the growth.

This quarter could go down as a turning point for Microsoft and for the businesses that use its products. The lion’s share of Windows and Office sales are to businesses. But when it comes to buying new technology, most companies prefer to be followers as opposed to early adopters. Let someone else discover the bugs, the thinking goes. If the numbers are to be believed, Microsoft may have hit a tipping point, where the early adopter have already bought, and the majority of information-technology departments are ready to start buying Microsoft’s new products.
http://blogs.wsj.com/biztech/2007/10/25/microsofts-earnings-show-businesses-fund-its-google-chase/

segarr

How is Vista "bundled in"? Microsoft doesn't make the computers so I was under the impression that if a computer comes with Vista then that's a sale for Microsoft?

Sharp

Anecdotal evidence warning: I don't know a single person who did not deliberately acquire Vista and actually prefers it to XP. Many of them either actively or passively dislike it in comparison, probably because a lot of them have had problems with it, usually related to incompatibility or the new security model. The few people I know who deliberately adopted Vista tend to bitch about it a lot. Regardless of how Vista is selling, it's a disappointment and I wish MS had kept with XP awhile longer and ironed out some of the myriad usability issues rather than trying to cause a paradigm shift without first ensuring that it was necessary or intuitive.

segarr said:
How is Vista "bundled in"? Microsoft doesn't make the computers so I was under the impression that if a computer comes with Vista then that's a sale for Microsoft?

When you go buy a computer from dell or sony or any other major company how much are you paying for Vista? I just bought a laptop and unless it was "bundled" into to cost of my laptop.. I paid Zero for it standalone.. whos paying for it is the companys.. they bundle the price with the hardware.... more hardware is sold thus more vista is sold even if you dont want it is most cases

beerbelly

Banned
Phoenix Down said:
When you go buy a computer from dell or sony or any other major company how much are you paying for Vista? I just bought a laptop and unless it was "bundled" into to cost of my laptop.. I paid Zero for it standalone.. whos paying for it is the companys.. they bundle the price with the hardware.... more hardware is sold thus more vista is sold even if you dont want it is most cases

Not all laptops/desktops have vistas.

Sharp

beerbelly said:
Not all laptops/desktops have vistas.
If you're not buying a Mac, you pretty much have to ask explicitly for a computer without Vista--and most consumers don't. Why would they? Unless they are for some reason aware of friends or relatives who had serious issues with Vista and warned them against it, most people are not deliberately going to seek out the older, and thus supposedly less advanced, operating system.
Dai Kaiju said:
I figure this is the best place to ask. Whatever happened with the microsoft split a few years back?
Moneyhats. Serious moneyhats. Or are you talking about the other proposed split that doesn't seem to be happening?

Philthy

KeithFranklin said:
When big business purchases a PC they dont have to get Vista on it.

They are usually given dual licenses. They are allowed to install XP or Vista as they see fit.

Orlics

I have Vista on my laptop by choice and I am perfectly happy with it. It's pretty, and I don't have any problems to speak of.

Sharp

Orlics said:
I have Vista on my laptop by choice and I am perfectly happy with it. It's pretty, and I don't have any problems to speak of.
There's one. I don't actually know you, though. That said, it's not that everyone I know with Vista dislikes it, it's just that they don't seem to prefer it at all to XP. Most of those people also rarely use their computers, though, so I don't know.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Orlics said:

Ditto here; I went ahead and went with it when I bought my new laptop a few months ago and really don't have any problems. Once SP1 comes out, that's when you'll see a lot of people--especially on the enterprise side--jump in. But yeah, at this point even most of the big Windows media guys concede that it's not a big upgrade over XP (and certainly depending on how many accessories you have, how much RAM you have, etc., it can be a downgrade for some).

I have no problems with Vista, in my experience with it its IT people who moan about it because they dont yet have the MS accreditation in it so aren't technically qualified to support it, once they have passed they change their tune!

Phoenix Down said:
Yes it was.. but more people are buying computers now then they were 6 years ago

So rather than say "vista sales are better than XP because MS are bundling it with new pc's" you should have said "vista sales are up because more people are buying computers"

A rather significant difference in statements

bill0527

Sharp said:
Anecdotal evidence warning: I don't know a single person who did not deliberately acquire Vista and actually prefers it to XP. Many of them either actively or passively dislike it in comparison, probably because a lot of them have had problems with it, usually related to incompatibility or the new security model. The few people I know who deliberately adopted Vista tend to bitch about it a lot. Regardless of how Vista is selling, it's a disappointment and I wish MS had kept with XP awhile longer and ironed out some of the myriad usability issues rather than trying to cause a paradigm shift without first ensuring that it was necessary or intuitive.

Hi. My name is Bill.

I put Vista OEM 32-bit on a brand new computer I built last June. I love it. I will not go back to XP.

I have had none of the problems that I keep reading about from everyone else. That's because I put it on a brand new machine with components that I knew were Vista compatible.

I have no problems running any game I play - WoW, Company of Heroes, Bioshock, AoE 3, Supreme Commander, just to name a few.

The security features can be turned off so you don't have to deal with the annoying pop-ups.

My machine runs extremely fast and I don't have any hiccups or slow down problems.

I would recommend, as has been recommended ad nauseum, to put Vista on a fresh Core 2 Duo or greater processor with at least 2gb of RAM. I would suspect that several people who have problems with it probably upgraded and put it on an old machine and that leads to compatibility problems and probably not enough memory.

GameGamer

Phoenix Down said:
When you go buy a computer from dell or sony or any other major company how much are you paying for Vista? I just bought a laptop and unless it was "bundled" into to cost of my laptop.. I paid Zero for it standalone..

Zero huh.

Arsenal

I think the vast majority of people who have had problems with Vista are people trying to put it on older machines. Its just not worth the hassle in a lot of cases since WinXP is very serviceable and you don't have to go out hunting beta drivers. The state of things when WinXP was coming out was quite a bit different since it was so much better than its predecessors.

Top Bottom