• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Reveals New Xbox Game Pass Stats And Explains How It's Different From Netflix

Errr.. this is MS saying how GamePass Xbox users spend more than non-Gamepass Xbox users. Has nothing to do with NIntendo or Playstation players. Why would it? Sony makes their largest chunk of money on DLC/microtransactions.. from 3rd parties.

MS likes to act like GamePass is the cause for this; but it's far more likely just a correlation thing. Their biggest spenders probably are more likely to get something like GamePass, than their smaller spenders.
This.

NickFire

Errr.. this is MS saying how GamePass Xbox users spend more than non-Gamepass Xbox users. Has nothing to do with NIntendo or Playstation players. Why would it? Sony makes their largest chunk of money on DLC/microtransactions.. from 3rd parties.

MS likes to act like GamePass is the cause for this; but it's far more likely just a correlation thing. Their biggest spenders probably are more likely to get something like GamePass, than their smaller spenders.
MS may be spot on as to GP being the cause. Are you dismissing the possibility that the cost of GP itself helps drive that 20%? The value of GP is getting access to all these games for basically the cost of 3 new releases per year (old gen prices anyway). But if we are talking "average" gamers, I bet the average gamer spends less than 3 new releases per year in game purchases.

NullZ3r0

Banned
Microsoft is such a tease; they reveal some vague stats yet they never show us what we really want, actual sales data such as software sold in units and Dollars, hardware sales, and profit. like either show us the receipts or shut up.

whitney houston best gif GIF
You want hardware sales data for fanboy trolling fodder when it means absolutely squat to Microsoft's bottom line.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
MS may be spot on as to GP being the cause. Are you dismissing the possibility that the cost of GP itself helps drive that 20%? The value of GP is getting access to all these games for basically the cost of 3 new releases per year (old gen prices anyway). But if we are talking "average" gamers, I bet the average gamer spends less than 3 new releases per year in game purchases.
I'm not dismissing it as a possibility; I'm just doubt it... particularly in this phase where so many GPU customers are people who would have bought XBLG anyways and got literally 3 years of GPU for $1 on top of that.

What I'm saying is; that's not what the words Microsoft said mean.. those words do not mean "people who buy GamePass spend more money after they bought it, than before." It simply means 2 groups of people; Gamepass subscribers, and non-Gamepass subscribers have a different amount of spending. And there's a ton of reasons "why" that don't involve all of these theories that it increases your spending; the "why" could simply be... those are the people who are more avid gamers.. more likely to be people who buy digitally, and thus MS has more sales tracked for them, etc.

Is it possible they as a group, are spending more than they did before? Sure.. but MS didn't say that.. and if that was true, why wouldn't they just say it?

NullZ3r0

Banned
Microsoft didn't specify that the users spend that time & money on GamePass games though did they? I've read that paragraph several times over to make sure I'm not missing something

personally the only DLC I've bought for a GamePass game has been the Outer Worlds DLC pack during the sale this past week but I'll eventually pick up the base game on a deep discount too so I own it (and while it is from Obsidian, it's not published by MS so I figure the game will eventually be leaving the platform)
If it's not related to GamePass, then why mention it? Do you think MS has an agenda to obfuscate sales or whatever conspiracy gets bantered about here on a daily basis?

The whole point of what she said was an APB to publishers that if they put their games on GamePass, they'll make more money. I'm 100% sure that this is the same data they give to publishers when courting their games for GamePass.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Another xbox thread, same people all over it.

The 20% more spent I would imagine boils down to mtx, expansions and outright purchases of games that they like.

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem your talk about not having to buy hardware for netflix doesn't really make sense. You still need to buy a tv, a computer or a phone to watch it. Netflix doesn't beam directly into your head once you subscribe. Ofcourse lots of households have one or more of the above, but they still had to be bought in order to use said service.

Netflix was created to for people that watch tv. Gamepass was created for people that play videogames. They can be compared quite easily.

Also, you got some sauce for the amount of people using the 1$ upgrade? like what percentage are we talking about here???

Watching people turn themselves into human pretzels if sony announce their own service will be something to behold..

So with GamePass you don't need a tv, computer, or a phone? What are you even saying there? That's an expense at your end, not on the service provider so they don't need to worry about it. You would need a console per player, or semi-console in the server, and when you run out of that you'll need to wait in queue as a player. That's why they can't go full cloud with huge numbers, not to mention silicon shortages. It's cheaper for them to make you download it and play it natively on your own console/PC.

That goes to PS Now as well, I think it'll die first, so don't panic. Google and Amazon which are both massively bigger than MS can't do it as well. Just give it some few years, although can't see cloud gaming to ever be the "next" big thing and will evaporate eventually.

Last edited:

Concern

DLC, and games leaving Game Pass being bought up at a discount are possibilities. Also people could be buying other games in a series that aren't part of Game Pass because they liked the prequel. Since people are trying more genres, they may also be buying games that are in the same genre after finding out they are fans.

The conspiracy theories reference Game Pass and the salty tears never gets old though. Thanks.

eric cartman running GIF by South Park

"Gamepass bad.... gamepass only one dolla hurr durr durr"

Same troll crying in every gamepass thread. They post more in these thread than Xbox fans do lol.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I remember reading that Xbox users on average spend more money on games than PlayStation users.

This would make sense to me because there are probably more casual users that buy a ps4 for one time games like FIFA or COD.

DavidGzz

Here we go with the GP down players saying that most are $1 deals again. Oh no, there is no way GP isn't causing people to spend more than they would without it. Just because some people play Fortnite without spending any money doesn't mean there aren't millions who do.

I know 7 other people who pay for Game Pass month to month, I'm the only one that took advantage of the 3 year deal in my group of friends. One of them did a year but only because I convinced him to. A very small percentage of people even know you can do that. I'd say it's about how many gamers visit gaming forums vs those who don't, which is the vast minority.

Typical hard-core gamers who think they are the majority. They come in and laugh about GP and the thought that Series S will sell really well. "Who would buy one when you can just pay $100 more for a more powerful PS5?" Or "99% of those GP subs spent $1 for 3 years man." So wrong but they hope they are right or they are just trolling to troll.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I remember reading that Xbox users on average spend more money on games than PlayStation users.

This would make sense to me because there are probably more casual users that buy a ps4 for one time games like FIFA or COD.
Yeah after you lose popularity the people left behind (which is still a significant userbase) tend to be a bit more hardcore on average.

But that's likely just averages; Playstation you could take the ~50 million biggest spenders on Playstation, and measure them against the entire 50 million Xbox One / X userbase*, and I bet they'd be higher. It's just the other 50+ million Playstation people bringing averages down.

* just picking numbers out of thin air, not sure of the Xbox One / X userbase.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
So with GamePass you don't need a tv, computer, or a phone? What are you even saying there? That's an expense at your end, not on the service provider so they don't need to worry about it. You would need a console per player, or semi-console in the server, and when you run out of that you'll need to wait in queue as a player. That's why they can't go full cloud with huge numbers, not to mention silicon shortages. It's cheaper for them to make you download it and play it natively in your own console/PC.

That goes to PS Now as well, I think it'll die first, so don't panic. Google and Amazon which are both massively bigger than MS can't do it as well. Just give it some few years, although can't see cloud gaming to ever be the "next" big thing and will evaporate eventually.
You know what, I totally misunderstood your point about dedicated hardware. I apologise for that.

But I am sure that the Microsoft has factored in the cost for cloud gaming... I wouldn't worry too much about their bottom line.

Please do not subscribe to Xbox GamePass.

Please do not tell or demand Sony to make a "GamePass" competitor. We don't need or want more of this in the industry.

Speak for yourself, personally I absolutely love the value I get from it, and the fact developers seem to benefit greatly from it too. If Sony or Nintendo make a Game Pass like service I think that would be awesome too. Unless you're one of those people who thinks this will kill physical sales (digital is already making headway on that by itself) or "ownership" of games, I really don't see any downside to anybody that this service exists, nobody's forcing you to subscribe, there are no exclusive games to Game Pass, and even having the service at all allows for more creative lower budget games like Grounded for example to exist, so if anything it's existence allows for more creative games being made even for people who aren't subscribers. I fail to see any downside to the existence of Game Pass or similar services

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
AP99's tweets and videos are jokes. Dont take his shit serious. The guy is probably laughing his ass off at the replies.

Pretty sure he's the same guy who broke a PS system because he faked being mad and did that hilarious video where he pretended to cry about The Show being announced multiplat and his friends online were laughing.

MonarchJT

Banned
AP99's tweets and videos are jokes. Dont take his shit serious. The guy is probably laughing his ass off at the replies.

Pretty sure he's the same guy who broke a PS system because he faked being mad and did that hilarious video where he pretended to cry about The Show being announced multiplat and his friends online were laughing.
naa i think he is just an extremely indoctrinated fanboy

reksveks

Massively bigger in what industry (gaming, cloud services, overall) and what metric and what are you defining as massively bigger.

Yup. If the sales data was impressive, they'd shout it from the rooftops. When it isn't, they give random stats that make it APPEAR to be impressive.

I appreciate Nintendo. They aren't afraid to reveal their data. They go through periods where their consoles sell extremely well and periods where they are horrible. Either way, they don't hide the data.
Same goes for Sony

GamePass = 18M subs, many are $1-4/mo deals for 3 years. Also a dedicated console for each or you wait in queue, insanely expensive.
Netflix = 300M subs.

Comparing it to Netflix is a complete joke.
And does 18 mil subs are a combination of Gamepass on Xbox One and Xbox X and S and PC.....

Massively bigger in what industry (gaming, cloud services, overall) and what metric and what are you defining as massively bigger.

Not sure what he is referring to either.

Amazon has a larger cloud business overall, but Microsoft is a clear second and has been growing faster in recent years.

In terms of market capitalisation, Microsoft is worth 3-4 Sony's more than Amazon and Google.

I don't understand the GamePass hate. It's awesome.... Simple as that. All the reasons people seem to hate it seem to be misguided or just people who don't like change... Whether it's good or not. Meanwhile it's saved me money and I'm trying games I never really would have.

sainraja

I can only speak for myself but I definitely play more, and more varied, games using gamepass.

Haven't bought anything on Xbox since I got GamePass though. I personally don't really feel like DLC etc. is worth purchasing when I don't own the game.
I am curious to see how many people feel this way as well. I am kinda in the same boat. If I were to consider buying DLC for a game, I'd also think of buying the game. Otherwise, I would just skip the DLC.

Top Bottom