• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft says it's already working on new Xbox consoles, "some of which won't come to light for years"

Pro consoles make more sense than ever.
I agree. Seeing people not being able to decide what mode to play Ratchet in... we need consoles that can do both high fidelity RT and 60 fps.

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

skneogaf

Why is this even being discussed? Every company is planning on the future no matter what they do/make/sell etc.

This thread definitely needs an ignore.

Tschumi

Why is this even being discussed? Every company is planning on the future no matter what they do/make/sell etc.

This thread definitely needs an ignore.
this is what i'm thinking.. someone at xbox said "You know what, all of us developers are constantly RnDing our next consoles, but nobody ever says it... Let's say it, and act like it's a big deal"

and like some fratboy at the head of the meeting table gives a finger-gun point at the suggestion and says "bingo"

Last edited:

LiquidRex

If Microsoft are to release an Xbox Series Pro or should I say Xbox Series XL 😛 could we see it in a few years? Will it be touted as an 8K gaming machine (not 8K Indie only)

TBiddy

it’s time all Xbox fans make an assembly and decide being consistent on what they want/say

the rest of us can’t keep up with the constant flip flop!

Maybe, just maybe, consider that "Xbox fans" aren't a single entity, and that they might have different opinions.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I live in Japan so Xbox aren't even an afterthought here, they are completely irrelevant. But is it ok in western countries to release hardware with no games for 7 months then talk About releasing another hardware. Very strange here.
Phil once had an E3 presentation where he announced a new console SKU at the start of the show and made it obsolete at the end of the same show.

ZywyPL

Banned
Last time Phill said this we got a new console 3 years later. I facepalmed when DF said they don't think there'll be Pro consoles this gen. Pro consoles make more sense than ever. You release a 24 teraflop console and then bring it over to following gen as your base cheap machine with decent install base. There'll be no need to worry about not having install base when new gen starts. They could have done it with PS4 Pro and X (I'm sure they wanted to), but CPU and lack of storage were very limiting factors, something that shouldn't be a problem next time around. There'll be no more generations once this is done.

OK but keep in mind how outdated the previous consoles were on launch day already, so no wonder Sony and MS were able to update them so much in such a short time. Sub-2TF was PC's mid-tier GPU at best at the time. XB1 didn't even held 1080p most of the time and PS4 was powerful just enough to provide native FullHD, so there was a lot of room for improvement.

But this time around the consoles are already more or less cutting-edge, using 7nm process, Zen2 and RDNA2 architectures that are relatively fresh, especially the GPU, and tech like RT, Mesh Shading, VRS, SFS etc. that aren't even fully utilized yet, or at all even. I really can't see them being able to squeeze a 20-24TFGPU in the next 3 years, 5nm most likely still won't be that widely available by that time, while it'll actually be 3nm that's needed to achieve such GPU power in the same package (cooling and PSU requirements).

XS2 is what will probably have 16C/32T CPU, 24TF GPU and 24GB RAM, so I honestly can't see where a mid-gen refresh model would fit between the two, what would be its purpose, because for either doubling the framerate or 8K it would simply need double GPU performance, anything in between would mean it will fail on delivering any framerate or resolution update compared to current XSX. Unless it would heavily rely on upscaling tech like PS4 Pro did wit hCBR, but then again XSX can already do that, it's all in the devs hands.

it’s time all Xbox fans make an assembly and decide being consistent on what they want/say

I doubt any Xbox fan said they rather use the Cloud to their Series X or One X. That's to overlook and unless I'm very much mistaken Xbox Cloud blades to use Xbox consoles insides for their Technolgy base. So it makes sense for MS to keep developing consoles, as later down the line they'll be put into Cloude Blades *rollseyes*

Last edited:

LiquidRex

OK but keep in mind how outdated the previous consoles were on launch day already, so no wonder Sony and MS were able to update them so much in such a short time. Sub-2TF was PC's mid-tier GPU at best at the time. XB1 didn't even held 1080p most of the time and PS4 was powerful just enough to provide native FullHD, so there was a lot of room for improvement.

But this time around the consoles are already more or less cutting-edge, using 7nm process, Zen2 and RDNA2 architectures that are relatively fresh, especially the GPU, and tech like RT, Mesh Shading, VRS, SFS etc. that aren't even fully utilized yet, or at all even. I really can't see them being able to squeeze a 20-24TFGPU in the next 3 years, 5nm most likely still won't be that widely available by that time, while it'll actually be 3nm that's needed to achieve such GPU power in the same package (cooling and PSU requirements).

XS2 is what will probably have 16C/32T CPU, 24TF GPU and 24GB RAM, so I honestly can't see where a mid-gen refresh model would fit between the two, what would be its purpose, because for either doubling the framerate or 8K it would simply need double GPU performance, anything in between would mean it will fail on delivering any framerate or resolution update compared to current XSX. Unless it would heavily rely on upscaling tech like PS4 Pro did wit hCBR, but then again XSX can already do that, it's all in the devs hands.
Microsoft were pissed when Sony out did them on power with Gen 8 vanilla, is it too soon to say they are now pissed that Sony caught them out with the effectiveness of throughput data streaming. 🤷‍♂️

Xbox Series Super duper goes ballsout with power and throughput, where can Sony go... Or will they even care.

Umm, they just released their console? Are they expecting we will have next-gen hardware next year??
Developing a new console takes years, in fact I'm sure that somebody inside was already thinking of the features they absolutely wanted in next time.

So they're going to meet the devs, do some market research and then hop on Newegg to place their orders.... The longest part of the process this time around will be figuring out how to fill orders for enough GPUs, maybe they will resolve to eBay with the scalpers.

Banned
now get this!

Sony is already working on the PS6! crazy I know? how do I know that?
BECAUSE THAT'S HOW CONSOLE DEVELOPMENT WORKED FOR 4 DECADES NOW

how is this newsworthy?

pasterpl

now get this!

Sony is already working on the PS6! crazy I know? how do I know that?
BECAUSE THAT'S HOW CONSOLE DEVELOPMENT WORKED FOR 4 DECADES NOW

how is this newsworthy?
So why so many “experts” on this forum were telling us that: xbox series is the last console ms will release, it will be cloud only future and other fud

Kagero

I don’t think so. Next Xbox will be all server based like Netflix. The writing is on the wall with all the acquisitions.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Once internet and i mean proper internet speeds reach the critical masses, it'll be good bye hardware and all future TV's will come with a Sony or MS app alongside Netflix, Prime etc

Zen 5 at minimum 4.0Ghz, RDNA 4 at minimum 3.0Ghz, chiplet, 3-D stacking, PCIE5.0, SSD at 60-100 GB/sec, Wifi7, 6G, usb 4.0

Make it so! Engage!

:messenger_tongue:

Every console maker is always working on consoles. They employ people that just work on hardware. Hardware dev employees don't make a console, and then start developing software and games. They keep working on hardware every day at work. Research and development.

Last edited:
"We want to deliver the most powerful, capable consoles in the world, devices that empower our players to enjoy amazing games for years to come, including gameplay we can't even imagine yet."
Can't even imagine cuz no games?

All jokes aside, this is normal. All console manufacturers work on the next one in some form almost as soon as the current gen is out.

Not everyone in a substantial fan base have the same views do they? I don’t like Phil Spencer and his Xbox regime so far, others think he’s great. Each to their own views, as it should be.

Last edited:

Jokerevo

Banned
Gee how about telling us when the next gen actually starts for XsX because who the hell releases a console without one launch playable flagship?

ZywyPL

Banned
Oh some people wished it alright , just like every generation there are "PC GAMING IS DEAD" told by some people ;)

Gaming on PC was very questionable during the PS360 days, there was little to no benefit of playing on that platform back then other than access to specific genres like RTS, point&click games etc., some PC games were even hardlocked to 30FPS, some had physics/speed broken when running above 30FPS, not to mention many technical issues many games had at launch whereas running perfectly fine on consoles, P2P online instead of dedicated servers, and so on. Really, PC back then was treated like some sort of a 3rd world platform. But luckily with the arrival of PS4/XB1 and their transition to x86 the PC platform has been reborn, and better and stronger than ever (the dedicated servers did die tho in the process).

Reindeer

Wholeheartedly disagree. 5nm GPUs are planned to launch next year, which puts 3nm on track for 2024 when 50 series and RDNA 4 are supposed to launch. At the very least consoles should use 5nm in 24, most likely 4nm (5nm+) or 3nm. While consoles this gen are cutting edge at release (I'm gonna pretend Series S doesn't exist), by the time 50 series and RDNA 4 launch they will be considered as weak hardware.

Your 24 teraflop and 24GB expectations for PS6 and Xbox5 are way too conservative, 3080 and 6800XT are almost already there. 24GB means 16 will be reserved for Vram, something AMD already offers now. Heck, even midrange 3060 comes with 12. 16GB for Vram will be laughable in 2028 or whenever next consoles are supposed to launch, but it makes perfect sense for Pro consoles. I expect no less than 32GB Ram (24 Vram) and 30 tflops for next gen.

The main reason for Pro consoles last gen as you pointed out was weak hardware, but hardware will still be weak this gen and won't offer 4K60 and respectable resolution with RT as games get more and more demanding. But the main reason and incentive for Sony and Microsoft to upgrade this time will be to introduce cheap entry point for the gen that follows. This strategy will eliminate the need for install base when new gen starts and will also make sure there's wider adoption due to cheaper entry. It makes too much financial sense for them not to do this.

There's also Phill Spencer's direct quote, after all he's not announcing that they're working on next gen consoles now as that tech is too far away and there are too many unknowns, he's obviously talking about Series X Pro.

Last edited:
Too early. It would mean in 2029, when the 8080's or higher are out, you'll be rolling out another poorly named console in a wheelchair with 3080 tech. Not to mention you'll undercut whatever power you have with a shitier version.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So much for all the arm chair pundits saying "this is the last console generation ever".

They say that every gen and I'm not sure why. It's like some people that cover video games want consoles to die so bad. As if they hate the video game industry or something.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Too early. It would mean in 2029, when the 8080's or higher are out, you'll be rolling out another poorly named console in a wheelchair with 3080 tech. Not to mention you'll undercut whatever power you have with a shitier version.

They are in the researching stage now. Not creating it yet. Don't worry, it's always done this way. Next-gen consoles will more than likely use whatever GPU tech is out in the year 2024. We are WAAAAY away from that now.

DaGwaphics

Personally I think they’ll drop all the Series X stuff and just revert back to calling it XBOX, then XBOX 2 and so on if they carry on for that long. Don’t think anyone will get confused with the OG and a newer model after all this time.

They might be committed to the X and S lines now. Maybe Xbox X2 or Xbox S2, etc.

Hoping they just roll new hardware out in place of the existing systems instead of a mid-gen system as it was done last gen. Would be a lot of systems on offer if there were two versions of the X or the S and so on.

Top Bottom