• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Says No Blu-Ray for X360 - choice doesn't live here any more :(

Tom Penny

I didn't see it happening anyway.

http://www.reuters.com/article/reutersEdge/idUSN1224707720080313?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0

The comments by Aaron Greenberg, group product manager for Xbox 360, poured cold water on recent speculation that Microsoft could support Blu-ray after Toshiba Corp (6502.T: Quote, Profile, Research), backer of the rival HD DVD format, gave up when key movie studios and retailers abandoned the technology.

"Xbox is not currently in talks with Sony or the Blu-ray Association to integrate Blu-ray into the Xbox experience," Greenberg told Reuters in an interview.

Microsoft, which has stopped making an HD-DVD add-on for the Xbox 360, would continue to invest in its Xbox Live online service that already lets users rent hundreds of movies, including ones in high-definition.

"We're the only console offering digital distribution of entertainment content," Greenberg said.

The software giant also expected that supply problems for the Xbox 360 meant the machine was outsold in the U.S. market by Sony's PlayStation 3 console in February for the second month in a row.

"We definitely expect we will trail in February as a result of our supply constraints," Greenberg said, adding: "By April, we will be in a very healthy inventory situation."

That would be in time for the April 29 launch of Take-Two Interactive Software Inc's (TTWO.O: Quote, Profile, Research) "Grand Theft Auto 4" game, which is widely expected to be one of the best-selling titles of 2008 and could drive purchases of the Xbox 360 and PS3

Greenberg spoke a day ahead of the planned release of U.S. video game sales data for February by market research firm NPD, whose monthly reports are pored over by game companies eager for bragging rights.

The PS3 struggled last year due to its high price and lack of must-have games, but sales have picked up in recent months thanks to price cuts in late 2008 and a slate of anticipated upcoming games.

"We still think we have a great value, that we have significantly better value than Sony. Every month we've actually been in stock we've outsold them by a 2 to 1 margin," Greenberg said

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
sounds like they're conceding february and march

what's up with these 'supply constraints' anyway

Replicant

Tom Penny said:
"We definitely expect we will trail in February as a result of our supply constraints," Greenberg said

Supply constraints my ass. Maybe they're supply constrained because they need to keep replacing the dead 360 with a new one. :lol

DeadGzuz

Banned
Draft said:
They're all about choice.

With one less (HD-DVD).

We still think we have a great value, that we have significantly better value than Sony.

$400 PS3, wi-fi built in and best BD player on the market.

$350 360, $99 wi-fi add-on and no BD.

What value? They can brag about lowest entry cost, but with the over priced proprietary peripherals they are not the best value.

Crisis

Banned
Reilly said:
More damage control for the March NPD's?

I think so actually. They previously said that they'd be back up by March. :\ And for what it's worth when I was at a Wal Mart yesterday they had a fuck ton of 360s there and I figured that they had gotten back into full production swing.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Crisis said:
I think so actually. They previously said that they'd be back up by March. :\ And for what it's worth when I was at a Wal Mart yesterday they had a fuck ton of 360s there and I figured that they had gotten back into full production swing.

They are basically back to full production from what I've seen. March should be fine. There is a reason he doesn't speak much.

Mifune

Mehmber
"We definitely expect we will trail in February as a result of our supply constraints," Greenberg said, adding: "By April, we will be in a very healthy inventory situation."

Holy crap, that's some amazing pre-emptive damage control.

kbear

They're obviously not supply constrained anymore, and haven't been for weeks. What this quote probably means is that MS expects the GTA4 effect to cannibalize console sales in April, helping them lead for that month.

Kittonwy

Banned
AFW
PON PON CHAKA CHAKA
PON PON PATA PON.
angry.gif

kbear said:
They're obviously not supply constrained anymore, and haven't been for weeks. What this quote probably means is that MS expects the GTA4 effect to cannibalize console sales in April, helping them lead for that month.

Nailed it.

Rhindle

They're not going to say anything about a Blu Ray drive until they're ready to ship a Blu Ray drive.

Also, good luck on that 2-to-1 margin thing, unless we're getting a price cut in April.

lionelhutz

This doesn't really seem like a surprise. Digital distribution is what they've wanted all along, however, I think HD-DVD died sooner than they expected.

Raistlin

Cynical dissection time:

"Xbox is not currently in talks with Sony or the Blu-ray Association to integrate Blu-ray into the Xbox experience," Greenberg told Reuters in an interview.

Key term being 'integrate'. So no, we won't see a new Elite model with a built-in BluRay. However, they have nicely skated around the possibility of an add-on.

Microsoft, which has stopped making an HD-DVD add-on for the Xbox 360, would continue to invest in its Xbox Live online service that already lets users rent hundreds of movies, including ones in high-definition.

"We're the only console offering digital distribution of entertainment content," Greenberg said.

That's lovely. However, Sony will soon be offering the same thing (and potentially with wider content support), and has BluRay. What then?

The software giant also expected that supply problems for the Xbox 360 meant the machine was outsold in the U.S. market by Sony's PlayStation 3 console in February for the second month in a row.

Ahh ... so they are already expecting March to be out the window too? A bit odd, considering stores are stocked with 360's right now.

That would be in time for the April 29 launch of Take-Two Interactive Software Inc's (TTWO.O: Quote, Profile, Research) "Grand Theft Auto 4" game, which is widely expected to be one of the best-selling titles of 2008 and could drive purchases of the Xbox 360 and PS3

So in other words, April sales may not necessarily change relative to PS3 as well. This just gets better and better.

Greenberg spoke a day ahead of the planned release of U.S. video game sales data for February by market research firm NPD, whose monthly reports are pored over by game companies eager for bragging rights.

The PS3 struggled last year due to its high price and lack of must-have games, but sales have picked up in recent months thanks to price cuts in late 2008 and a slate of anticipated upcoming games.

"We still think we have a great value, that we have significantly better value than Sony. Every month we've actually been in stock we've outsold them by a 2 to 1 margin," Greenberg said.

:lol Do I even have to address that spin?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Reading this again give me even more ammo that price drop in April is happening. They will be fine by March because they are ramping up dramatically for GTA4 w/ a price drop

As if there was ever another option, putting in blu-ray undermines their whole business future. It reduces the importance of DD, their DRM scheme, their video codec, their "Microsoft Home," their tie in with media center streaming from desktop PCto livingroom (further cementing windows PCs in homes), and setting themselves up as the main controller for the living room PC/entertainment center.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Reminds me of when Jack Trenton said he'd give moolah to anyone who could find a PS3 in a store a few months after launch. :lol

Never thought MS would have to put the ol' spin on it. Huh.

Mefisutoferesu said:
As if there was ever another option, putting in blu-ray undermines their whole business future. It reduces the importance of DD, their DRM scheme, their video codec, their "Microsoft Home," their tie in with media center streaming from desktop PCto livingroom (further cementing windows PCs in homes), and setting themselves up as the main controller for the living room PC/entertainment center.

And HD-DVD didn't?

IzumiK

Banned
It's funny how they support digital distribution and not enforce HDD on SKUs.

It's like buying a hamburger that you've seen your coworkers spit into it.

chubigans said:
And HD-DVD didn't?
MS had HDDVD in their back pocket, the video codec was theirs, the DRM scheme was tied to windows, iHD interface was their, and they were a member on the freaking board, so YES, HD-DVD didn't.

jonabbey

chubigans said:
Reminds me of when Jack Trenton said he'd give moolah to anyone who could find a PS3 in a store a few months after launch. :lol

Never thought MS would have to put the ol' spin on it. Huh.

And HD-DVD didn't?

HD-DVD didn't benefit Sony. That has always been the entire reason for Microsoft's interest in HD-DVD, as a strategic barrier to Sony's success with PS3.

Draft

IzumiK said:
It's funny how they support digital distribution and not enforce HDD on SKUs.

It's like buying a hamburger that you've seen your coworkers spit into it.
It's more like selling Ramen and expecting you to bring your own bowl, or buy a special Ramen only bowl for... well, a lot more than the average bowl.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Mefisutoferesu said:
MS had HDDVD in their back pocket, the video codec was theirs, the DRM scheme was tied to windows, iHD interface was their, and they were a member on the freaking board, so YES, HD-DVD didn't.

Many, many Blu-Rays use the same VC-1 codecs that HD-DVD does.

Top Bottom