• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft says Xbox has less than half the MAUs of PlayStation

Had Xbox not spent half a decade making retarded decisions then they wouldn’t be in this predicament. Their place in the market is almost entirely tied to the poor leadership from the end of the 360 through the halfway mark of the Xbox One.
Isn't all this Spencers doing, though?

X-Wing

Stephen Colbert Finger Guns GIF

Spencer will have his fired if the deal falls.

GHG

I don’t understand how PC users are not relevant in this scenario? Is the console division separate from the PC division? Is only the console division buying activision?

It is absolutely relevant, especially considering their market share (read: monopoly) in that area along with the games and IP that Activision/Blizzard own. Even if we were to only consider COD it's still relevant.

Lyrical

Banned
It is absolutely relevant, especially considering their market share (read: monopoly) in that area along with the games and IP that Activision/Blizzard own. Even if we were to only consider COD it's still relevant.
Exactly!! So how are some users talking about those numbers only being for console? If it is as they say then the numbers are wrong.

Kvally

Banned
its like saying "I have 3 kids... if I include my 3 nephews"

MAUs on other companies' platforms are not real MAUs

people playing games on Nintendo are Nintendo MAUs, regardless of who published the game

But it's not like that.

If someone buys Microsoft's Minecraft on Xbox, and logs into Xbox Live to play Minecraft, that is an Xbox MAU
If someone buys Microsoft's Minecraft on PC, and logs into Xbox Live to play Minecraft, that is an Xbox MAU
If someone buys Microsoft's Minecraft on Switch, and logs into Xbox Live to play Minecraft, that is an Xbox MAU

If Sony requires you to login to PSN for Gran Turismo 7 on PC, that is a PS MAU
If Sony requires you to login to PSN for Gran Turismo 7 on PS, that is a PS MAU

That is the exact definition of an MAU for any company.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Microsoft's exact wording that produced this statement, from paragraph 1.7b:

PlayStation has more than double the MAUs (close to 60 million more) of Xbox. Less than []% of PlayStation’s MAUs play Call of Duty. Even if it were to lose all of its Call of Duty gamers, a highly improbable outcome, the PlayStation gamer base would remain significantly larger than Xbox. Sony would need to lose a substantially higher number of non-Call of Duty gamers than actual Call of Duty gamers for its total MAUs to fall to Xbox’s current level (i.e., [] million MAUs). This is not credible, and yet even in such an unrealistic scenario the CMA could not conclude that Sony would be likely to be foreclosed, given that Xbox is a viable competitor today at this same level of MAUs.

kyliethicc

But it's not like that.

If someone buys Microsoft's Minecraft on Xbox, and logs into Xbox Live to play Minecraft, that is an Xbox MAU
If someone buys Microsoft's Minecraft on PC, and logs into Xbox Live to play Minecraft, that is an Xbox MAU
If someone buys Microsoft's Minecraft on Switch, and logs into Xbox Live to play Minecraft, that is an Xbox MAU

If Sony requires you to login to PSN for Gran Turismo 7 on PC, that is a PS MAU
If Sony requires you to login to PSN for Gran Turismo 7 on PS, that is a PS MAU

That is the exact definition of an MAU for any company.
nope. Playstation's MAUs are strictly users on PS4 and PS5

JLB

Banned
Grow up and attack the argument not the user.
Yes we know you're doing a very bad job in competing in an open market. Doesn't mean you should be able to buy Activision blizzard.

you know, I was tempted to say that you are a Sony ass licker, but before jumping into conclusions your might provide any message from yourself criticizing the market leader buying Bungie or Insomniac. You know, for being... what the word? consistent.
Ill wait here to eat crows if proven wrong.

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
nope. Playstation's MAUs are strictly users on PS4 and PS5
Nope. Their MAUs include all users that are accessing PSN. Prior to Sony closing down their official game forums, their MAU's actually included free PSN accounts that were made to post on their game forums. It also includes PS Now subscribers on PC. It also included PS Now users on TVs before Sony discontinued PS Now access through TVs.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
MS manipulates the numbers to fit their narrative. For Wall St, they will put out the max possible numbers by being creative about what constitutes an Xbox Division MAU. For regulators, they want to minimize MAU to make themselves seem as small as possible, so they will go for a stricter definition.

Across all services in Xbox, their MAU is 120M, which is 8M above PS 112M. For consoles only, it's <55M MAU. Both can be true. It all comes down to definition and scope.
People are failing for this trick.
Regulators only get the console MAU, while investors get all of their platforms.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
People are failing for this trick.
Regulators only get the console MAU, while investors get all of their platforms.
Buying Avtivision doesn't just impact "consoles." It impacts the entire industry, which includes mobile (King) and PC.

feynoob

Banned
Nah. This is MS fault.
They screwed both Phil and don mattrick by making them chase unnecessary stuff, and limiting their budget.

Once gaming business started to make billions, they decided to invest on their platform. By that time, their gaming division was in shit place.

Kvally

Banned
MS manipulates the numbers to fit their narrative.
Well, of course they do. As does Sony. It's all part of trying to "win". Remember this gem?

Sony says that over the past five years, Xbox Game Pass has grown to capture around 60 to 70 percent of the worldwide subscription services market. Xbox Game Pass in Brazil represents 70 to 80 percent of the PC subscription services market. The company believes it would take "several years" for a competitor to create a rival for Xbox Game Pass, even with substantial investments.

SteadyEvo

It is what it is…

I prefer Xbox myself being a cheap bastard and catching Gamepass on sale. Only buy if it’s half off.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
XBOX is doing freaking great with 120 Millions MAU !! Also.. xbox is doing quite poor with just 50 millions MAU.. please let us buy that little 70 billion dollar company

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
No, it is disingenuous to only give them console MAU but count Sony's entire MAU. Which they have done.

Especially when this purchase is not about just "consoles."
It's fair. There is no disingenuous thing about that.
It's Xbox vs PS, not MS vs PS.
Sony has nothing to do with PC, so PC MAU doesn't matter against PS MAU.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's fair. There is no disingenuous thing about that.
It's Xbox vs PS, not MS vs PS.
Sony has nothing to do with PC, so PC MAU doesn't matter against PS MAU.
Bro, the PS MAU they used for Sony, is including PC from Sony's total number announcement. So then, MS should be using PC as well.

Kvally

Banned
Bro, the PS MAU they used for Sony, is including PC from Sony's total number announcement. So then, MS should be using PC as well.
I was having this debate above with a member. I wonder what PC users Sony is counting? Do you think they count the sales of first party PC games? As of now, none of their games have PSN sign in mandates.

Baki

Xbox is xbox.. if xbox is doing fine with 120 millions MAU (as they said it) them thats it.. you cant separate those numbers so you can pretend is a separate division

Xbox isn't looking for fair comparison. If this deal falls through, they have to give ABK up to $3B. They will do whatever is legally possible to get this deal done.

Baki

These big companies will spin things whichever way, which will benefit them and make them look good.
Exactly. Billions of dollars on the line. They're not going to be boy scouts and put in the perfect and most balanced comparisons. They're going to fudge and distort as much as they legally can.

JackMcGunns

Yes we know you're doing a very bad job in competing in an open market. Doesn't mean you should be able to buy Activision blizzard.

So no buying of any company is allowed? or only allowed when you're doing well? You don't make any sense. The idea is that it will make MS too strong against Sony, when in reality it will merely put them on a competitive level. What Sony is doing while buying Insomniac, Bungie, Guerilla Games, etc., then turning around and trying to block others from making acquisitions is the real ANTI-competitive behavior.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Real in your condescending diatribe. I know how this works, doesn't make them any less clownish for it.
It's not clownish or anything.
If you own a company, you would want the best outcome for your company.
You might not like it, but it works very well for their argument.

A.Romero

Is it really hard to understand that companies will spin stuff to look the strongest when talking to shareholders and will try to look their weakest when arguing that a huge acquisition will not create a monopoly or unfair competition terms?

They don't have to lie, they just need to be creative with the numbers. They probably have some of the best lawyers involved in this and I seriously doubt that they would dare to lie in either case.

I mean, I know we are not going for objectivity here but I'd say it would be more interesting to mock Microsoft for having such a weak console ecosystem than to think they would commit perjury at the risk of just losing the case. If those numbers acted against them they wouldn't use them for an argument.

Top Bottom