• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft screws up Halo 4 DLC release, pretends it was intentional

FyreWulff

Summary:

- Microsoft sells map pack pass for Halo 4, which allows you to get all of Halo 4's DLC for free. Comes with the LE or separate for 25$.

The LE also allowed you to access all 8 specializations earlier than the rest of the userbase.

- Near launch, they add an offer where you if you play in the first two weeks the game is out, you'll get a code emailed to you to unlock the 8 specializations early.

- Fast forward to the 9th. They release the first map pack. People figure out that if you have that specializations code from playing in the first two weeks, the game lets you download the first map pack for free. Microsoft admits it's a mistake. Even their Xbox twitter support admits it was a mistake.

- Then a day later they just make up shit out of their ass with this press release that all the journo sites gladly regurgitate with no question:

As an additional reward to those customers that participated in our "14 Day, Buy and Play" program (which ran from Nov. 6 – Nov. 20), we are providing complimentary access to the Crimson Map Pack for a limited time, through Tuesday, December 18 at 9am UTC/GMT.There were some initial complications with the distribution of the "14 day, Buy and Play" reward tokens, and so we decided to provide the additional reward of complimentary access to the Crimson Map Pack, for a limited time, as a "thank you" to our customers that contributed to the success of the "Halo 4" launch.

Except if you google "14 Day, Buy and Play" it doesn't exist outside of their news story, nobody ever heard that the free maps were on offer before today for redeeming that code. They will not be reimbursing pass buyers for anything.

If you bought the map pass? According to Microsoft's canon, you just paid 25$ for 20$ worth of maps.

CyReN

HaloGAF

angry-mob-simpsons.jpg

wwm0nkey

Like I posted in the Halo OT

In an ideal world we wouldn't even have to pay for this in the first place

In an ok world, DLC would work like it did for Halo 2

In our world we get this shit.

DeadNames

Banned
This whole game is just a hot mess. Reserving my official judgments on 343 for Halo 5 though; giving them the benefit of the doubt for this one.

willow ve

The launch of Halo 4 has been full of lessons in how not to treat fans, promote a game, communicate what your game actually is, etc. etc. etc.

senador

Banned
Like I posted in the Halo OT

In an ideal world we wouldn't even have to pay for this in the first place

In an ok world, DLC would work like it did for Halo 2

In our world we get this shit.

No. Paying is fine. In an ideal world you'd be feeding me grapes while I played Halo with 30 new perfect maps while I lounged on a beach in the Caribbean with chicks everywhere waiting to be with me.

What's wrong with paying? Nothing.

wwm0nkey

The launch of Halo 4 has been full of lessons in how not to treat fans, promote a game, communicate what your game actually is, etc. etc. etc.

I would say Halo 4 will probably serve an important lesson is how to make a great base game but fuck a lot of stuff up.

Love the 343 team but communication really needs to be a key priority even though this particular incident might be Microsofts fault.

MrBig

Per this post it sounds as if access will be revoked on 12/18

Hey everyone! There were some initial complications with the distribution of the “14 day, Buy and Play” reward tokens, and so we decided to provide the additional reward of complimentary access to the Crimson Map Pack, for a limited time, as a “thank you” to our customers that contributed to the success of the Halo 4 launch. Those of you that own the Halo 4 Map Pass via standalone purchase or the Limited Edition will not be impacted and will continue to have access to the content after the complimentary access period ends on Tuesday, December 18 at 9am UTC/GMT. Hope this helps clear things up! :)

via cyren in the OT

Pooya

oh, lol. I'm not going to complain about free map pack xD

so now how can I get the map pack? I already redeemed the spec code.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Eh, more people to play with online. Sucks but what can we do? I can't go back in time and slap myself for buying the limited edition. I just wish I had enough forsesight of being a cheap ass to take advantage of all these deals.

Never buy day 1.

MrDaravon

Oh man I missed all of this, holy shit.

The spin is hilarious, but what's really fucked here is everyone who bought the Season Pass or the LE. I just told one of my friends about this who bought the LE just for the Pass and he's fucking furious and I don't blame him. They need to do something to make this right for people who bought the Season Pass and/or the LE to get the Specialization early access which everyone else then got 2 weeks later.

Satchel

Banned
Really pissed I bought the map pass when i normally don't or just wait.

first map pass i bought was gears 3 and even then i waited and ended up getting it after a price drop.

wont be buying one again.

wwm0nkey

No. Paying is fine. In an ideal world you'd be feeding me grapes while I played Halo with 30 new perfect maps while I lounged on a beach in the Caribbean with chicks everywhere waiting to be with me.

What's wrong with paying? Nothing.

I'll go get the grapes.

AlexBasch

I was curious on Halo 4, but between this and the word of mouth of many Halo fans I know, I'm quickly realizing this is the worst entry in the whole series. I wasn't that into Halo but it sounds disappointing.

Wii Tank

The moral of the story is don't pay for map packs and season passes. I find the content is always pretty shallow and much more expensive than it's actually worth.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Free maps is a good thing. Sucks if you just bought the pass, but I'd guess something will be done. I bought the LE and couldn't care less. Good to get more people playing.

$40? For?

Limited Edition.

GavinGT

Banned
So if we download it now, do we get to keep the maps forever or do we only have free access to them until the 20th?

Also, note that you have to download the map pack from within the game. If you try to do it through the Xbox Live marketplace, it'll still prompt you to pay.

Elginer

This is some horse shit. I paid for the LE for the damn War Games season pass and now part of it is going for FREE. Lovely job there MS and 343.

Please Bungie, save us from this bullshit.

wwm0nkey

I was curious on Halo 4, but between this and the word of mouth of many Halo fans I know, I'm quickly realizing this is the worst entry in the whole series. I wasn't that into Halo but it sounds disappointing.

I would say Reach is hands down the worst Halo game. Halo 4's base gameplay is amazing but its also cluttered by too much crap and is inconstant due to the Personal Ordnance system.

Now the Halo 4 gametype with Halo 2 based movement, no sprint and no instant respawn is a god send to Halo.

Except if you google "14 Day, Buy and Play" it doesn't exist outside of their news story, nobody ever heard that the free maps were on offer before today for redeeming that code. They will not be reimbursing pass buyers for anything.

If you bought the map pass? According to Microsoft's canon, you just paid 25$ for 20$ worth of maps.

What a joke.

Presco

I was stupid enough to buy the map pass pre release. I regretted buying the map pass after 20 games of multiplayer. This isn't helping. At least I got the points for free from a similarly boneheaded MS move sometime back.

Kuroyume

Banned
This is a great idea for future pre order DLC. The people that want to pay for it can pay for it and the people that don't can get it for free. Good deal.

Crazyorloco

Why buy the map pass or the limited edition early if this is going to be free...We just wasted our money thinking we were going to save money.

"14 Day, Buy and Play" is a huge PR lie. I almost can't believe it's being said. I laughed so hard reading this. It is from kotaku, so be cautious. If true, What shit will they do to the fans next?

P.s. I also feel for those that bought the 800 point crimson dlc alone, and found out this news, they also got screwed.

I hate myself.

Havok

I spent the 10 bucks on the standalone map pack (not the pass) a few hours before they inadvertantly made them free for everyone. I was okay with that when they were talking about it like a technical glitch, but now that they've gone and made it official with their shitty PR spin, I want that money back. Will I get it? Of course not, knowing Microsoft.

It ain't just season pass owners getting the shaft here.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeah because that briefing packet was so worth it.

Packet, specializations, game items, etc. Yeah the maps were a big draw, but you shouldn't have got the LE if you just wanted maps, the stand alone pass was a better deal. (Then at least)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm sure I would be more pissed if I didn't pay regular Halo 4 price for the LE in the first place. But I sure hope this makes some noise.

ALSO WHERE IS MY FUCKING FILE BROWSER

ITS A MONTH AFTER RELEASE AND THIS SHIT STILL DOESN'T WORK

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
This is a great idea for future pre order DLC. The people that want to pay for it can pay for it and the people that don't can get it for free. Good deal.
Yes. Everyone should be happy that you now have more people to play with.

Anything else is crab mentality! Don't keep your fellow crabs down, let them be free.

Top Bottom