• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft ships almost 3.5 million units in launch quarter, analyst says

ps5-xbox-1.jpg

Microsoft shipped almost 3.5 million Xbox Series X/S consoles during their launch quarter, according to Daniel Ahmad, a senior analyst at market research firm Niko Partners.

Ahmad made the claim following the publication of Sony’s quarterly financial results on Wednesday, when the platform holder said it had shipped 4.5 million PS5s as of December 31, 2020.

Responding to a question about the performance of Xbox Series X/S relative to PS5, the analyst tweeted: “Take a bit over 1 million off the PS5 number and you won’t be far off.”

By way of comparison, 3.9 million Xbox One consoles were shipped into the retail channel during that console’s launch quarter in 2013.

Xbox boss Phil Spencer previously said the company that shipped the most current-gen consoles during the 2020 holiday season would be determined by production capacity rather than consumer demand, which neither Microsoft or Sony have been able to satisfy.

He told The Verge that Microsoft started manufacturing Xbox Series X/S consoles late summer, which was “a little bit behind where they were, where Sony was, in terms of building units”.

Discussing Xbox Series X/S supply issues and the lack of a flagship first-party launch game following Halo Infinite’s delay, Spencer told Shacknews last November: “Our pre-orders sold within hours, and that’s true of the competition as well.

“There is a high demand for gaming consoles right now, and we’re both going to build as many as we can. So I think the possibility of Halo Infinite launching beside Xbox was more of a brand and heartfelt moment for us than it was critical to the launch.

“In fact,” Spencer added, “you could argue that holiday 2021 from a lineup is probably more important because from a competitive standpoint, both consoles—knock on wood—will have supply so there will be a demand constraint rather than a supply constraint in the next year.”

Speaking during Microsoft’s second-quarter earnings call this January, CEO Satya Nadella claimed Xbox Series X/S enjoyed a record launch.

“The launch of Xbox Series X and Series S was the most successful in our history with the most devices ever sold in a launch month,” he said.

Demand for Xbox Series X/S and PS5 is likely to outstrip supply for some time, with a Microsoft spokesperson recently saying the company expects Series X/S shortages to persist until the second half of 2021.

Following “unprecedented” consumer demand for PS5, Sony has claimed that the platform recorded “the biggest console launch of all-time”.

The company said last October that its initial PS5 sales goal was to outpace PS4’s 7.5 million launch sales during the second half of its financial year.

“We are currently on track to meet our sales goal for the fiscal year of more than 7.6 million units, but we have not been able to fully meet the high level of demand from customers,” Sony said on Wednesday.

It also said it hopes to ship over 14.8 million PS5s during its next fiscal year but that it could struggle to hit the goal due to challenges caused by the global semiconductor shortage.

“We continue to do everything in our power to ship as many units as possible to customers who are waiting for a PS5,” it said.

AMD, which makes the chips inside PS5 and Xbox Series X/S, recently forecast supply issues through the first half of 2021.

LordCBH

Placing stock in the numbers at this point in the game when every console that can be produced is selling is useless. I be only limiter right now is how many each company can produce. This isn’t like the Xbox One launch where those things were everywhere after launch week, piling up in shops. If it’s produced and shipped right now, it’s sold basically. The true teller of what to look at will be what happens to all 3 consoles when the supply shortage finally ends.

Trogdor1123

I've never seen a ps5 out in the wild ever and only once on a series x. Series s are everywhere of course but I don't that is a reflection on the Xbox at all.

As everyone has said, it is about who can make more at this point.

Side note, the digital ps5 has been really great.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It would be higher if shit was available to buy at local stores!

NickFire

Market leadership right now seems to have more to do with production than marketing.
Exactly this. Sales numbers don't mean squat until both consoles are actually available to purchase without jumping through hoops or paying scalpers.

NahaNago

this is a nothing burger. The gen just started both companies are pretty much selling every console they have. The real battle starts in winter.

Bigger difference is that PS5 is sold out globally, but series s did not manage the sell out totally even near the launch and it have been easily available on many countries. And series x is sold out maybe 70-90% of the Time, but not totally. (I have seen units on stores for days before they are sold).

People should stop lying about "both are sold out", being sold out in USA isnt the whole world

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Bigger difference is that PS5 is sold out globally, but series s did not manage the sell out totally even near the launch and it have been easily available on many countries. And series x is sold out maybe 70-90% of the Time, but not totally. (I have seen units on stores for days before they are sold).

People should stop lying about "both are sold out", being sold out in USA isnt the whole world

I'm not sure where you live, but here in Canada series x sells out instantly. Series S sells out within a few hours of restocks, and is backordered. So in North America at least, that seems to be the case. Most other countries are reporting this as well.
What country are you in?

Last edited:

Pallas

We really gonna do this the entire gen again? Both consoles are selling well despite semiconductor shortages, which is amazing.

Kagey K

Banned
I'm not sure where you live, but here in Canada series x sells out instantly. Series S sells out within a few hours of restocks, and is backordered. So in North America at least, that seems to be the case. Most other countries are reporting this as well.
What country are you in?
He lives in Finland. He’s been letting everybody know since the day these systems launched. 😉

Its like a crusade for him at this point,

Wizz-Art

What country are you in?
Don't laugh, but he's in the huge powerhouse country for console gaming called Finland.

why dont you make a blog and tell everyone that series s is not sold out in whatever bumhole you come from. maybe then people wouldn't forget and you wouldn't have to spam this forum with your nonsense.

Iced Arcade

should get the finns to ship those consoles out bruh.

MrA

Banned
wow, analyst read company shipment figures then makes bold claim about difference in the number of units shipped.
Seriously at the moment both are limited by supply not demand

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Sales from first two months were always going to be useless.

Of course both consoles would sell out around launch.

Sales data gets interesting in April, May, June when it's actually going to be difficult to keep momentum.

What country are you in?

In Xbox strongest markets like North America, of course it is sold out. But you know, NA isn't = world. XSS is available in some European countries. But not XSX.

Media Markt is one of the biggest retailers in Europe
Turkey ( you can check availability in cities, let's say Istanbul. It is available in some stores )
Sweden
Croatia ( available since last Christmas )
Belgium
Germany

Of course, there are other retailers in countries. Didn't checked them out

why dont you make a blog and tell everyone that series s is not sold out in whatever bumhole you come from. maybe then people wouldn't forget and you wouldn't have to spam this forum with your nonsense.

What's the problem? It is embarrassing to say that XSS is available, even though when MS said that Xbox is sold out everywhere ( regarding XSS isn't )? But looks like it is not a problem to say like MS that Xbox is a supply constrained ( but obviously regarding XSS isn't that much of a problem ).

I've never seen a ps5 out in the wild ever and only once on a series x. Series s are everywhere of course but I don't that is a reflection on the Xbox at all.

I've never seen any, including S, on shelves. I managed to get a PS5 and Series X at launch, but it wasn't easy

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

O'Neill pls

Hezekiah

Banned

The Series X has been in stock at various places in central Europe over the past few weeks. The demand isn't the same as for PS5.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I think Sony is losing like $200 on PS5 Digital version lol
If that's the case, they must have sold a shit load of PS5 consoles. They posted record financial results recently.

They actually out did 2013 and last quarter IIRC.

John Wick

We need the semiconductor industry to expand from just Taiwan and Korea. They can't meet demand especially during a pandemic

Top Bottom