• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft & Sony - Analyzing their past E3 Shows (2007-2014)

So i recently i made a thread about Sony's past E3 conferences & some people asked me to do the same with Microsoft.
So here you go:

I compared these conferences, by dividing a conference into different sections/categories

First Party: First Party Games, Announcements, Trailers, Bundle, Tech Demos, Talk about first Party Studios - Also Second party studios included
Third Party: Trailers, Announcements, Teasers, DLC, Bundle, Exclusive Content
Third Party Excklusive: Third Party Franchise got announced as an exklusive - Also time exclusives
Media-talk: Talking about Network, Apps, Entertainment, Statistics, New Bundles/Prices, Media,
Hardware: additional Hardware to the consoles like Move or 3D
PSVITA/PSP: talking about handhelds (PS Vita since 2011)
Last Gen: talking about the older console (since 2013 PS3)
Download/Indie: basically all indie games, download games, Free2Play

Based on these categories i made a statistic (How many minutes Sony and MS spend/talked on certain categories)

This is just a basic overview and even tough i tried to be accurate, still there can be some mistakes

Sony:

89305e-1432061335.png

Total timings of the E3 Show in:
2014 - 1:46:00
2013 - 1:48:00
2012 - 1:25:00
2011 - 1:50:00
2010 - 1:47:00
2009 - 1:52:10
2008 - 1:29:30
2007 - 1:34:39

Sony Announcements:

2014:
First Party: LPB3, The Order 1886, Bloodborne, Ratchet and Clank, Infamous First Light, Tlou Remaster
Third Party: Far Cry 4, DEstiny, Dead Island 2, MKX, Batman, MGS V, GTA 5 Remaster
2013:
First Party: The Order 1886, Infamous SS, Killzone SF, Knack, Driveclub, Tech Demo Sorcerer
Third Party: Destiny, Watch Dogs, FF15, Kingdom Hearts 3, Diablo III, Mad Max, TESO, NBA 2K14, AC:Black Flag
2012:
First Party: Beyond, The Last of Us, GOW Ascension, Wonderbook, Allstars
Third Party: Far Cry, Assassins Creed 3
2011:
First Party: Uncharted 3, Resistance 3, Infamous, LPB 2, Starhawk, Sly Cooper + Move Games
Third Party: NBA 2K12, Bioshock Infinite, SSX, Star Trek, NFS: The Run, Battlefield 3
2010:
First Party: Killzone 3, Heroes on the Move, LittleBigPlanet 2, Gran Turismo 5, Infamous 2, Twisted Metal, Movegames like Sorcerer
Third Party: Medal of Honor, Dead Space, Portal 2, AC: Brotherhood, Movegames like Tiger Woods PGA
3rd Exclusive: Final Fantasy 14
2009:
First Party: Uncharted 2, The Last Guardian, MAG, ModnationRacer, Gran Turismo 5, God of War 3, LPB costumes, Move
Third Party: Assassins Creed 2, Final fantasy 13, short mentions of MW2 and Batman
3rd Exclusive: AGENT, Final Fantasy 14
2008:
First Party: Resistance 2, LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet and Clank, God of War 3, MAG
Third Party: montagevideo of upcoming third party games like Far Cry 2, NBA, Oblivion, Ninja Gaiden
3rd Exclusive: Metal Gear Solid 4
2007:
First Party: Warhawk, Socom Confrontation, Singstar, Ratchet and Clank, Little Big Planet, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Infamous, Gran Turismo 5 Teaser, Killzone 2
Third Party: 7min montage: Call of Duty4, Assassins Creed, Kane&Lynch, Burnout, Madden,
3rd Exclusive: Haze, Unreal Tournament 3, Metal Gear Solid4,

Microsoft
0da6eb-1432061385.png

Total timings of the E3 Show in:
2014 - 1:30:00
2013 - 1:31:00
2012 - 1:37:00
2011 - 1:28:00
2010 - 1:29:20
2009 - ????
2008 - 1:31:00
2007 - 1:26:00

If you want i will also include the names of the games that got presented/announced during these conferences

dugdug

Banned
Thanks for this. Hopefully Sony cuts out the media bullshit this year, but, the way it looks, it's gradually getting more and more time.

Good on MS for doing the whole games-games-games thing the last couple years.

Danlord

Please do include specific announcement timings, I remember your(?) post before detailing some E3's with the announcements and how long they were, and Powers went on for only 5 minutes which felt like 15 and I was shocked by that. Would be curious to see how long the Wonderbook segment on the past E3 was at Sony's; that one was awkward and boring as hell.

Please do include specific announcement timings, I remember your(?) post before detailing some E3's with the announcements and how long they were, and Powers went on for only 5 minutes which felt like 15 and I was shocked by that. Would be curious to see how long the Wonderbook segment on the past E3 was at Sony's; that one was awkward and boring as hell.

ok will include that later...By the way the wonderbook section was around 15 minutes long

Tratorn

2009 was Sony's best conference and also their longest. So hopefully they have a pretty long conference this year. ;)

Being humble: priceless

I'll be tuning into Sony for the instant game collection. No hope for Vita. Have high hopes for first party from both really. Expecting Sony to under deliver but the verdict is out on whether they will get a free pass.

If Microsoft goes hard on nostalgia for Gears then that is disappointing to me,

i was surprised how few third party exclusives sony announced over these past years at their E3 Show....The last time was 2010 (if we only talk about console exklusive third party games)

emb

Did you go back and watch all the conferences again?

Even skipping through, must have taken forever. And been pretty fun. :)

Someone should add Ninty to the mix too.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I always thought Microsoft E3 were shorter than Sony's. But looking at the time in OP, I am surprised.

I guess I find Microsoft E3 on point beside those Kinect bs during 2011,2012. And Sony gets boring after a while, always feel like a drag. Last year it just wouldn't end.

Intrigue

Banned
A column displaying total conference length would be cool, easy to do manually, but at glance the impression is misleading.

Edit: I guess below works, just didnt see it right off the bat.

This is some pretty interesting data, but it think it would be better served to see the percentage of stage time dedicated to each category.

Sony first party seems to be trending downward, I hope that changes this year with a specific announcement.

Hatchtag

Banned
If you look at conference lengths not counting things in the third party or media talk categories, Microsoft's was 50 minutes in 2014 and 53 minutes in 2013. Sony's was 45 in 2014 and 38 in 2013. So if people ever wonder why Nintendo's Directs were so much shorter the last two years, they're really not if you don't count media talk or third party non-indie games that aren't exclusive, which Nintendo has little of.

mdubs

Banned
Adam Boyes if you are reading this thread, please cut the fat I'm not watching your E3 press conference to see 24 minutes of media talk

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Awesome how sony talked for 38 minutes about vita in 2011(before the release) and then always less than 5 minutes after the release, and sony wonders why vita doesn't sell...

Kyoufu

Awesome how sony talked for 38 minutes about vita in 2011(before the release) and then always less than 5 minutes after the release, and sony wonders why vita doesn't sell...

Sony doesn't talk about Vita much BECAUSE it doesn't sell.

Danlord

ok will include that later...By the way the wonderbook section was around 15 minutes long

That was like 12 minutes too long. It was so awkward as it wasn't working well, and really slowed the pace/tone of the conference; that was a bad call by Sony. It seemed a good project but it really wasn't helped by that.

Ray Down

Banned

It wouldn't even sell if it had a decent timeslot in the conference.

Vita is dead.

Raide

Sony will probably put aside 20-30 mins for VR talk this e3.

Poor Vita won't even get a sniff. It will probably appear on a slide that says "PlayStation Family" next to it and some sales numbers.

Majine

Banned
After the last E3, Sony needs an editor for their briefings.

That 15 minute "Powers" talk was not good. They also started off by talking about Destiny and how it's better on PS4, then later in the show they started talking about it again.

Tighten up the transitions, cut some irrelevant content and keep it clean and consistent.

Feindflug

I know a lot of guys in here are interested in Hololens and Morpheus but I hope that Sony and MS won't spent much time on them.

Sir TapTap

Sony's media talk is out of control. People rag on MS for that a lot, but when it comes to E3 Sony is way worse.

Sony's media talk isn't THAT much higher than MS' on average, it's just that this last year Xbox realized they really need to focus on games because of the Xbone fiasco of the prior year. Sony has had no such lesson though they may take it down a notch because of how much people freaked out over powers

I know a lot of guys in here are interested in Hololens and Morpheus but I hope that Sony and MS won't spent much time on them.

If they're actually showing games I don't mind Mopheus being shown at all, would only mind a morpheus focus if it's just a recap of old demos and stuff we know. I doubt Hololens will be there, it's probably not even going to be on Xbox One at first at least for gaming.

After the last E3, Sony needs an editor for their briefings.

That 15 minute "Powers" talk was not good. They also started off by talking about Destiny and how it's better on PS4, then later in the show they started talking about it again.

Tighten up the transitions, cut some irrelevant content and keep it clean and consistent.

Thing is, whenever people ask why they don't show more games they say "People complain that our conferences are too long, they want them shorter! It's what you wanted!" when really they could just cut out the momentum killing media and sales talk that inevitably eats up 20 minutes.

Danlord

Poor Vita won't even get a sniff. It will probably appear on a slide that says "PlayStation Family" next to it and some sales numbers.

I hope so, I'm really excited for it and I know No Man's Sky will get a mention here, I've mentioned in the past how it's going to be for VR, quoted here;
Almost guaranteed.

Hello Games was going to do a GDC talk with No Man's Sky in VR but cancelled it, and they have a Morpheus prototype/devkit in house.

Here's an article with some Vine's of them messing around with it: http://vrfocus.com/archives/1906/hello-games-teases-oculus-rift-support-mans-sky/

Image of their desk at Hello Games which includes a Morpheus Devit, source here
z206-23_1542vs.1404135641.jpg

Sean Murray tweet about cancelling GDC talk about VR with No Man's Sky.
https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/446408671795609600

I'm curious to what the final name for Project Morpheus will be, as well as price. I've always stood by the pricepoint of £199 - £249.99 and I'm sticking with it. I'll be buying one, as will my brother. :)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sony doesn't talk about Vita much BECAUSE it doesn't sell.

It wouldn't even sell if it had a decent timeslot in the conference.

Vita is dead.

Vita first e3 was just 4 or 5 months after the release, giving up on vita after just 4 months it's not normal at all, it would have been easy to get better sales with some dedication, but unlike SCEJ and SCEE that tried to push vita SCEA wanted vita to be dead since the beginning, this is obvious.

Ray Down

Banned
Vita first e3 was just 4 or 5 months after the release, giving up on vita after just 4 months it's not normal at all, it would have been easy to get better sales with some dedication, but unlike SCEJ and SCEE that tried to push vita SCEA wanted vita to be dead since the beginning, this is obvious.

Geez you Vita die hards...

My feeling as well. I would be surprised if they made it to a minute on the vita.

yurinka

Interesting. If I was Sony I'd spend less time in media, last gen and non-exclusive 3rd stuff (these 3 parts shouldn't be in their conference).

With this extra time I'd support more the other parts specially the smaller ones:
Lots of great -exclusive- PS4 (AND VITA) games, both big and indie, 1st and 3rd.

And during 10-15 mins some Morpheus details: price, date, updated/final main specs, first list of games with nice surprises of well known IPs or devs showcasing something that makes VR great other than 3D immersion because it can't be shown in a 2D video.

And well, please add a great surprise at the end like TLG or a fucking megaton: last year was embarassing, the game looked a generic shooter with awful artstyle.

And the majority of the Vita talk last year was about Playstation Now and Remote Play. They named off 4 games (one of which wasn't a port) and that was it.

Sony Announcements: (no indies,handheld games) will try to do that later

2014:
First Party: LPB3, The Order 1886, Bloodborne, Ratchet and Clank, Infamous First Light, Tlou Remaster
Third Party: Far Cry 4, DEstiny, Dead Island 2, MKX, Batman, MGS V, GTA 5 Remaster
2013:
First Party: The Order 1886, Infamous SS, Killzone SF, Knack, Driveclub, Tech Demo Sorcerer
Third Party: Destiny, Watch Dogs, FF15, Kingdom Hearts 3, Diablo III, Mad Max, TESO, NBA 2K14, AC:Black Flag
2012:
First Party: Beyond, The Last of Us, GOW Ascension, Wonderbook, Allstars
Third Party: Far Cry, Assassins Creed 3
2011:
First Party: Uncharted 3, Resistance 3, Infamous, LPB 2, Starhawk, Sly Cooper + Move Games
Third Party: NBA 2K12, Bioshock Infinite, SSX, Star Trek, NFS: The Run, Battlefield 3
2010:
First Party: Killzone 3, Heroes on the Move, LittleBigPlanet 2, Gran Turismo 5, Infamous 2, Twisted Metal, Movegames like Sorcerer
Third Party: Medal of Honor, Dead Space, Portal 2, AC: Brotherhood, Movegames like Tiger Woods PGA
3rd Exclusive: Final Fantasy 14
2009:
First Party: Uncharted 2, The Last Guardian, MAG, ModnationRacer, Gran Turismo 5, God of War 3, LPB costumes, Move
Third Party: Assassins Creed 2, Final fantasy 13, short mentions of MW2 and Batman
3rd Exclusive: AGENT, Final Fantasy 14
2008:
First Party: Resistance 2, LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet and Clank, God of War 3, MAG
Third Party: montagevideo of upcoming third party games like Far Cry 2, NBA, Oblivion, Ninja Gaiden
3rd Exclusive: Metal Gear Solid 4
2007:
First Party: Warhawk, Socom Confrontation, Singstar, Ratchet and Clank, Little Big Planet, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Infamous, Gran Turismo 5 Teaser, Killzone 2
Third Party: 7min montage: Call of Duty4, Assassins Creed, Kane&Lynch, Burnout, Madden,
3rd Exclusive: Haze, Unreal Tournament 3, Metal Gear Solid4,

Microsoft will come later.

2007 was a sick year man..

Top Bottom