• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft/sony Media stick/tiny console?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Eventually the power of PS4/X1 will be able to fit in an apple tv and an amazon stick sized device,

Im guessing by 2025 this will be possible, do you guys think sony or MS will do this?

It would be pretty swet to be able to play xbox,360 and X1 games on a device so portable and it would be quite a big advantage over Amazon fire stick and google cast.

CRAIG667

Why bother with a stick when you'll have all your consoles games and media built into your phone along with wireless HDMI technology :)

nowhat

It would be pretty swet to be able to play xbox,360 and X1 games on a device so portable and it would be quite a big advantage over Amazon fire stick and google cast.
First of all, I don't see this happening. Second - I've no experience with the Amazon device, but when it comes to Chromecast (or Google Cast, or whatever it is called at the moment - branding, and consistent one at that, has never been a strong suit for Google), how would exactly that theoretical PS*/Xbox* device compete with it? Chromecast is for a single purpose, and single purpose only - to play streams from the internet. What it does, it does very well, and it costs next to nothing. It doesn't do gaming. So would that theoretical device you propose be better at games, well duh, it would as Chromecast isn't for games. It would also cost significantly more than a Chromecast, and although I do use the media functions on my Pro frequently, it's not really the optimal platform for it. Chromecast is better.

So in short, no. A longer version, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

First of all, I don't see this happening. Second - I've no experience with the Amazon device, but when it comes to Chromecast (or Google Cast, or whatever it is called at the moment - branding, and consistent one at that, has never been a strong suit for Google), how would exactly that theoretical PS*/Xbox* device compete with it? Chromecast is for a single purpose, and single purpose only - to play streams from the internet. What it does, it does very well, and it costs next to nothing. It doesn't do gaming. So would that theoretical device you propose be better at games, well duh, it would as Chromecast isn't for games. It would also cost significantly more than a Chromecast, and although I do use the media functions on my Pro frequently, it's not really the optimal platform for it. Chromecast is better.

So in short, no. A longer version, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I just thought a cheap media hub that could play sony or MS games would be better then one that cant.

Why would I or you buy a google/Amazon/apple stick when you could get a sony or MS one that does all the things the Google/amazon one does but plays loads of awesome games

Ar¢tos

I don't see how a board with a x86 1.8TF APU could be shrunk to stick size with no active cooling by 2025. Would USB 3.0 (or 4.0, although it might be early for it) even be able to power it? 2025 it's only 7 years away.

Sosokrates

I don't see how a board with a x86 1.8TF APU could be shrunk to stick size with no active cooling by 2025. Would USB 3.0 (or 4.0, although it might be early for it) even be able to power it? 2025 it's only 7 years away.

In 2011 would you of thought in 2018 we have mobile tech far better then a 360?

Agent X

Sony already created a great "tiny" game console a few years ago, in the form of PlayStation TV. It wasn't a shrunken-down version of a PS4 or PS3, but rather a "non-portable" version of the PS Vita that hooked up to a TV.

The system was about the size of a deck of playing cards, and sold for under $100. It could play many (but unfortunately not all) downloadable games for Vita, PSP, and PS1, as well as physical Vita cartridges. If you own a PS4, then you can also use Remote Play to stream games from your PS4. For a while, you could stream PS3 games from the PlayStation Now subscription service, but access from PSTV was discontinued 5 months ago.

PSTV didn't do all that well in the market, but it has a bit of a niche following. Personally, I think it's a nice little system, especially considering the low price. If Sony had marketed and promoted it better, it could have really taken off as an inexpensive system for children and casual gamers.

Also, take a look at this post from August 2016, which featured a PlayStation TV that was decorated to look like an original PlayStation.

lKM5rmx.jpg

Imagine if Sony did something similar, and repackaged PSTV as a "miniature PlayStation". They could even put PS1 games on Vita cards and sell them in stores (for those who aren't inclined to purchase downloadable games). What a missed opportunity.

120v

i think streaming sticks/boxes in gaming will be a thing but obvs we aren't there yet. i'm guessing whenever gen 7 games can be streamed without fuss

geordiemp

Streaming will always have lag, speed of light and servers, so no.

Unless we start to get cloud servers in every neighbourhood....then no.

Most Western audiences play on large TV's which are getting bigger every year which is a different market to mobile. Again no.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Why bother with a stick when you'll have all your consoles games and media built into your phone along with wireless HDMI technology :)

um.... sounds good on paper...

but I seriously don't want mobile gaming to become mandatory...
and it's not just because of the controls..the whole model is a bit..well, it very well could happen.

At which point I will certainly be looking for another hobby.

Exactly. If MS shrinks the Xbox One X into a Switch size handheld with wireless hdmi to tv, a 4k oled screen with a VR add on headset and windows phone functionality, it would sell gangbusters.

Sosokrates

Where can I buy my PS3 / 360 media stick now, in 2018?

You cant, but that's not what I said.
The tech is available.
Flagship mobile APU's since 2016 would be up to the task.
It would have to be done through emulation but seeing how good MS are with emulation it is definitely possible.Also MS could taylor design it to its intended purpose.

A Microsoft lighting stick, that plays 360 games and maybe some modern xbox live games could do well with right advertising and price.
I would certainly buy it over and Amazon or google stick.

Top Bottom