• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft starts testing xCloud integration on Xbox consoles

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I think xCloud gets more negative experience feedback because it's most popular (presumably) not necessarily that it's definitively worse than psnow or gfn
I know for me personally Stadia > PSNow >= XCloud as far as the actual gaming experience goes. (XClouds best was as good or better than PSNow, but PSNow was consistent, and xCloud seemed to be terrible unless I hit one of their Series X blades)

It's odd as I somehow doubt MS doesn't have xCloud running in their DC closest to Seattle lol

I kinda hate streaming in general but Stadia is incredibly impressive tech from a latency standpoint. I do wonder if MS's optimizations for Series X have even matched what Google managed to do.

Even playing games w/ a mouse on Stadia like Destiny 2 was a pretty damn solid experience. And I'm used to PC gaming.

Still noticable with quick movements, and that makes it a no go for me as far as a main way to play.. but checking out demos and whatnot is a great use case.. however.. is their profit in that? lol

Last edited:

Zug

This will really be interesting for console players when you can stream a game running on a much more powerfull hardware than the console itself.
Also something will have to be done to improve the input lag. Even when local streaming with Moonlight, it's sometimes noticeable, so it will suck most of the time when streaming over the Internet.
But then, most console players seem to be fine with 30fps and judder so ... *shrug*.

Schmick

It looks to be giving better performance on xbox one then native on some games.

Its pretty crazy that this opens up the 50million X1 installbase to current gen games.

I'm usually quite up to date with PC tech and consoles.

Right now i'm in this weird place where my console and PC are both ancient (Xbox One Original and i7 4790K & 1070GTX) but getting hold of a new console and decently priced PC hardware is difficult. So I've been putting it off. And will do it as long as i can. For me that doesnt make me feel right.

But with xCloud, PS Now for PC and Geforce Now I feel happier that I could easily have access to next gen stuff like ray tracing, fast loading and DLSS whilst I wait for the right time to upgrade. Who knows but maybe I'll decide I don't need to. I certainly don't think I need a PlayStation with PSN for PC.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I'm usually quite up to date with PC tech and consoles.

Right now i'm in this weird place where my console and PC are both ancient (Xbox One Original and i7 4790K & 1070GTX) but getting hold of a new console and decently priced PC hardware is difficult. So I've been putting it off. And will do it as long as i can. For me that doesnt make me feel right.

But with xCloud, PS Now for PC and Geforce Now I feel happier that I could easily have access to next gen stuff like ray tracing, fast loading and DLSS whilst I wait for the right to upgrade. Who knows but maybe I'll decide I don't need to. I certainly don't think I need a PlayStation with PSN for PC.
You sound good.
I sold my mid gen a few months before current gen launched thinking that there resell value would drop quick once next gen is out. It also makes buying the next gens less of a financial hit.
However the pandemic kinds skewed this.
Im still happy i got the next gens though, ssd + 60fps is really nice but i think either strategy is good.
You got a decent PC so its only sony exclusives your missing out on.

DaGwaphics

Pretty amazing you can play Flight Sim on an Xbox One S, got to try that out.
When Xbox One was released it didn't even have backwards compatibility, now it can play games from the generation after, that's an incredible turnaround.

I think there were a few articles around the launch of X1 where they were already talking about the possibility of future compatibility even back then. Probably would be impossible to find a link now though, I have no idea where I read it or who said it. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I think there were a few articles around the launch of X1 where they were already talking about the possibility of future compatibility even back then. Probably would be impossible to find a link now though, I have no idea where I read it or who said it. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The leaked document had stuff about cloud.

Anyone still have that document?

elliot5

Is this still limited or can anyone try it? Where do you access it on consoles?

Alpha Skip Ahead, Alpha and Beta rings atm.
Not true. It's been out to Omega ring for a few days now. I'm on Delta and have had it since Tuesday. It runs very well for me and the integration in the UI is nice. Should be coming out to all users probably early November.

Last edited:

SquillieDee

I tried streaming on my One X randomly the other with zero expectations. I was very impressed, it ran flawlessly and I honestly could barely tell the difference from my Series X. I didn't realize the potential of console streaming before, but with the gigantic file sizes for games nowadays , I could see this being a great option to try games. I play games daily via Xcloud on my crappy work wifi, it works great. I didn't expect to use game streaming at ALL, but here we are, the future is bright!!!!

elliot5

I'm on the "don't know what you guys are talking about" ring, so I guess it's not available yet lol.
Xbox insider program. You download the app on Xbox and can sign up for different OS flights. Omega being closest to release, Alpha skip ahead being most cutting edge. But you have to "level up" and get invited to those higher rings.

Omega is downloadable for everyone I think upon sign up..

I tried streaming on my One X randomly the other with zero expectations. I was very impressed, it ran flawlessly and I honestly could barely tell the difference from my Series X. I didn't realize the potential of console streaming before, but with the gigantic file sizes for games nowadays , I could see this being a great option to try games. I play games daily via Xcloud on my crappy work wifi, it works great. I didn't expect to use game streaming at ALL, but here we are, the future is bright!!!!
I was an avid cloud hater until I tried it on my phone through xcloud. I like that it's optional, basically free, and isn't replacing owning my games. For trying out gigantic games that are 100+ GB it's just a little convenience you wouldn't even think of. I went over the brother's house and pulled out my phone and showed him my Gamepass library and they were all pretty impressed.

The potential for mass market adoption is huge. You can sell people a $150 Xbox controller and roku stick and get them playing Starfield. That's got potential. They wont even have to buy the games if they sub.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

I was an avid cloud hater until I tried it on my phone through xcloud. I like that it's optional, basically free, and isn't replacing owning my games. For trying out gigantic games that are 100+ GB it's just a little convenience you wouldn't even think of. I went over the brother's house and pulled out my phone and showed him my Gamepass library and they were all pretty impressed.

The potential for mass market adoption is huge. You can sell people a $150 Xbox controller and roku stick and get them playing Starfield. That's got potential. They wont even have to buy the games if they sub.
Forget the roku stick, just put the game pass app on smart tv’s.

elliot5

My xCloud experience was working perfectly but now it's back to being all janky. I booted up Dragon Quest and it's like it routed me to a Mexico server because the UI for the OS looked Spanish, but the game was English...

MrFunSocks

Banned
I needed a quick achievement or 2 for Microsoft rewards today so just booted up some xcloud games on my S21 Ultra + Razer Kishi and knocked them out. Goddamn xcloud is amazing. I live in Australia, land of the shit internet, but it is almost imperceptibly different to local native playing even here. MS sure have some wizards working for them.

I hadn’t even thought about the being able to invited to games you don’t even own or have installed and just jump right in with your friends. That’s such a great use case. Microsoft really need to get xcloud on Apple TV, google tv, and all the smart tv stores, and also release a $50-$100 streaming stick. It could go gangbusters.

Yea, that won't be happening. Apple won't allow it on iOS because it competes with Apple Arcade.
And Samsung just started their cloud thing. And Amazon is doing it too.

Will probably have to be an external device unless a court case starts opening up the marketplaces to competition.

Aion002

Can't wait... Xcloud runs great on my tablet, I was thinking about upgrading my Series S to a Series X (the ssd size is a minor inconvenienceon on the S), but with Xcloud coming to the consoles... I don't think I will need the upgrade at all.

Old School Reaction GIF

Last edited:

Thanati

I just side loses game pass to my Nvidia shield tv and loaded up a few Xbox cloud games and it worked really well.
Just a heads up if people wanted to try :)

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
People on enthusiast forums like this one are completely sleeping on streaming as a game delivery mechanism. It works shockingly well today and will only get better

It's obviously the future. There's no denying it. Whoever has the best cloud game delivery system will own the gaming industry.

:goog_devil:As an enthusiast I will buy new GPUs as long as they will keep making them. :goog_devil:

Does anyone know if users in the UK/EU are connected to data centres in their region? The input delay is a bit annoying and puts me off using XCloud. Streaming my Series X direct to my iPhone is a much better experience and although that should be obvious, I didn’t expect it to be quite so crap over XCloud.

JimboJones

My xCloud experience was working perfectly but now it's back to being all janky. I booted up Dragon Quest and it's like it routed me to a Mexico server because the UI for the OS looked Spanish, but the game was English...
It's always been bad for me, I dunno if they have servers in the UK or Ireland but it's always been rubbish.
Tried WiFi, 4g, wired, opening ports, browser, Xbox app etc. Always has that network issues symbol appear.

Pantz

Gold Member
Tried FH4 on my XSX with this. Drove around the map at full speed and it held up for the most part. Still, once in a while getting slight lag or hitches at 200MPH causing a crash. I've played other racing games with worse way worse input lag. Streaming visuals are quite noticeable on a big TV.

It will be really nice for completing the weekly Game Pass quests without the need to install the games. Not sure if I would use it for too much else. Maybe for a quick look to see how a game plays.

I love using XCloud on my phone when traveling or commuting, but I could see myself using this on XBox just to try games before downloading

I tried it last night on my series X. It’s fine, but definitely not as sharp or responsive as an installed game. It’s a nice option to have, especially for my co-op group if one person doesn’t have the game installed yet, or for quickly trying out a game to see if I want to install it.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Can't wait... Xcloud runs great on my tablet, I was thinking about upgrading my Series S to a Series X (the ssd size is a minor inconvenienceon on the S), but with Xcloud coming to the consoles... I don't think I will need the upgrade at all.

Old School Reaction GIF
The magic of the cloud 🥳

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/11/17/xbox-cloud-gaming-launches-on-console/

Wow, what a week it has been celebrating the 20th anniversary of Xbox, together. And we’ve got more news to share as we take another step toward our mission of bringing gaming to more people where and when they want to play: Today you can play Game Pass games from the cloud on your Xbox console. We’re excited that Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta) is now available on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S consoles with a Game Pass Ultimate subscription. We are launching in 25 regions with Brazil coming soon. This capability will initially roll out with our November release to a subset of Xbox gamers and scale to all gamers in supported markets over the coming weeks.

We know from you that you want to find and try Xbox Game Pass games before you install them — and today we’re enabling just that. Now you can discover and try lots of different titles quickly right from the cloud until you land on the one you may want to also install — which is still the flagship experience for Xbox consoles. In addition to that, getting a game invite from a friend for a game you haven’t downloaded yet is no longer going to stop you from joining right away! We’ve built it so the experience is fast, easy, and a great way to discover your next favorite game while saving space on your hard drive for the games you plan to play again and again.

For Xbox One users, cloud gaming also allows you to play some next gen games on the Xbox One console you already own. This means select games that are currently only playable on Xbox Series X|S, like Recompile, The Medium, and The Riftbreaker, are now playable on your Xbox One with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and cloud gaming. We will also continue to support this capability and expand our cloud game library to include more next gen games like Microsoft Flight Simulator in early 2022.

So, boot up your console, look for the cloud icon, and jump into your next favorite game.

This journey to bring Cloud Gaming to more than a billion devices has been a true community effort. We simply wouldn’t be here today without this partnership, thank you.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Wow, what a week it has been celebrating the 20th anniversary of Xbox, together. And we’ve got more news to share as we take another step toward our mission of bringing gaming to more people where and when they want to play: Today you can play Game Pass games from the cloud on your Xbox console. We’re excited that Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta) is now available on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S consoles with a Game Pass Ultimate subscription. We are launching in 25 regions with Brazil coming soon. This capability will initially roll out with our November release to a subset of Xbox gamers and scale to all gamers in supported markets over the coming weeks.

We know from you that you want to find and try Xbox Game Pass games before you install them — and today we’re enabling just that. Now you can discover and try lots of different titles quickly right from the cloud until you land on the one you may want to also install — which is still the flagship experience for Xbox consoles. In addition to that, getting a game invite from a friend for a game you haven’t downloaded yet is no longer going to stop you from joining right away! We’ve built it so the experience is fast, easy, and a great way to discover your next favorite game while saving space on your hard drive for the games you plan to play again and again.

For Xbox One users, cloud gaming also allows you to play some next gen games on the Xbox One console you already own. This means select games that are currently only playable on Xbox Series X|S, like Recompile, The Medium, and The Riftbreaker, are now playable on your Xbox One with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and cloud gaming. We will also continue to support this capability and expand our cloud game library to include more next gen games like Microsoft Flight Simulator in early 2022.

So, boot up your console, look for the cloud icon, and jump into your next favorite game.

This journey to bring Cloud Gaming to more than a billion devices has been a true community effort. We simply wouldn’t be here today without this partnership, thank you.
Offtopic, does anyone has problem accessing xbox.com?

saintjules

Threadworthy :)

Kssio_Aug

running man party hard GIF

Fantastic news!

Last edited:

Awesome feature and they're even killing the messaging. Calling installation the best way to play. Advertising this as optional and not a replacement. Basically a free next-gen upgrade for Xbox One owners too. Very nicely done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom