• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft still reminding customers about their DRM Reversal

Received this wonderful newsletter.

"Online. Offline. Digital. Disc."

http://pages.engage.xbox.com/Share....54d6ea003a63949c526d17c00782aa637858bb59c17b7

N71Zh7V.jpg

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
They probably have to get something like this out there since there are so many articles that come up about the XBO DRM with a quick google search.

Sendou

Wasn't DRM reversal like a positive thing for most? Using this logic wouldn't it be a good thing to get that message out there? I bet there are still some people not aware of it and even if there aren't it's still a plus for Microsoft they should talk about it too.

Vizzeh

Banned
Its more a case of making sure people know the message has changed, I dunno If it has or will reach everyone yet, the first news about the X1 for some people may have been the last.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've never seen that download overlay before. Is that actually toggleable?

I wouldn't mind something like that TBH in games where there is nothing really going on at the bottom mid of the screen.

Pop

It's a real shame they feel the need to keep opening their mouths about this. Maybe a few will forgive but most of us remember what they had planned.

Ein Bear

It really rubs me up the wrong way how they're trying to make "We decided not to fuck you over!" into a selling point.

Toki767

They probably should have mailed those out and given GameStop and other stores giant posters with that a week after they reversed their policies.

Curufinwe

I feel kind of bad for all the people who had to write the marketing copy explaining how the Always On system was supposed to work, only for it all to get thrown out like rancid garbage straight after E3.

SeanR1221

Wasn't DRM reversal like a positive thing for most? Using this logic wouldn't it be a good thing to get that message out there? I bet there are still some people not aware of it and even if there aren't it's still a plus for Microsoft they should talk about it too.

Of course it's positive. Boggles my mind why people are so angry or poke fun at it.

MS realized their mistake and changed things. It would be like if Sont lowered the price of the PS3 before launch or Nintendo changed the name of the Wii U.

S¡mon

Banned
I think most damage has been done and, at least for now, the Xbox One brand (and perhaps the Xbox-brand in general) has been heavily damaged. (Of course, this all can be reversed - like how PlayStation 3 rebounced).

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

It's more just that it looks silly that they have to explain to customers that they can continue behaving in the same manner that they always have.

Basically, it's a sign that at least Microsoft feels the damage done in the whole DRM fiasco is still lingering.

JABEE

It's a real shame they feel the need to keep opening their mouths about this. Maybe a few will forgive but most of us remember what they had planned.
Because there are still a lot of people that don't know that they reversed course. There are still a lot of people that only know what Microsoft and social media said in May wen the console was revealed.

Raide

Good good. They need to keep reminding people. Part of their marketing. Also stops people shouting things and handing out fliers outside game stores to try and stop people buying the Xbox One.

vpance

I feel kind of bad for all the people who had to write the marketing copy explaining how the Always On system was supposed to work, only for it all to get thrown out like rancid garbage straight after E3.

I don't think there ever was any official copy. They were never completely sure how it worked themselves.

beast786

so the up coming new letters:

maybe that it also play games. Is the NFL fantasy commercial the only Tv Microsoft aired so far?

Skilletor

It's not about forgiving, it's about letting people know the reversal happened in the first place. Positive word of mouth doesn't spread as quickly as negative. Even with all of the strides MS has made since their 180, many people might not know of the reversal in policies.

It's their fault they're in this position, but I can't blame them for trying to get this information out there. Even if it is kind of funny.

Wynnebeck

Banned
It really rubs me up the wrong way how they're trying to make "We decided not to fuck you over!" into a selling point.

Agreed. What really grinds my gears are the people saying we all should be applauding MS for doing the 180 and responding to consumers. What? I should be giving props to a company for NOT fucking me over when it was their main intent in the first place? You can kiss my ass with that bullshit.

Wasn't this sent out a week or so ago? I swore I got this same email (and thought I saw it somewhere on GAF).

Anyways, guess it makes sense to do it considering the more casual gamers wouldn't know about the reversals.

SeanR1221

Lol Jesus Christ at posts like this. They're video game man, a fun hobby.

"Never forget the drm, brothers! NEVER FORGET!!!!!"

Yeah this is needed

People I know still think it's the old policies

Usually I would correct them but that's MS's problem not mine

Amir0x

Banned
Well they have to get the word out, the first impression of XBO was as an anti-consumer nightmare, and casuals who haven't heard about the 180s might need to be informed.

But it kills me how they keep trying to act like they always designed the XBO this way with the intentionally deceptive way they keep wording their PR about this shit. "WE DESIGNED OUR SYSTEM TO BE ONE OF CHOICE"... no bros, you didn't. Stop lying. Shut up and stop being dumb, nobody is falling for it, ya know?

LCGeek

formerly sane
They could should keep doing it cause I see more people around me thinking the drm is still in place or that the situation is shady. MS should not be like nintendo and let certain negative perceptions of them persist.

Bundy

Banned
Yep. Damage has been done for me (!), which is the reason why I ain't buying one.
So it's your decision if you want to "reward" them (in buying the XBone), or not. I won't. That's for sure.
They can backtrack till the cows come home, the fact is - I don't trust them.
And this!

Top Bottom