• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Store accidentally push incorrect Forza Horizon 3 update, corrupts saves

They can fuck off if they think I'm redownloading a 53 gig game because they pushed the wrong patch. I haven't booted my PC today so hopefully I don't have the patch.

gossi

They can fuck off if they think I'm redownloading a 53 gig game because they pushed the wrong patch. I haven't booted my PC today so hopefully I don't have the patch.

Mine had auto downloaded in background (Windows Store runs download without opening it). I had no option but to uninstall and redownload the whole game. Amazing.

Caayn

I bet that this topic will contain more bitching about the Windows Store than the actual issue itself and that it can happen on any store.

Shame that they can't, aren't willing to, role out an update to fix it.

It doesn't sound like most people would have to worry about a corrupt save (why would you fire up the game and create a new save to start with?), but this has been quite the mess all the same. EDIT: Maybe I misunderstand the new save thing, I could be wrong here.

It also means a bunch of their DLC plans leaked, and there's at least the suggestion that modding might be possible in the future because the development version was apparently unsecured.

That said I don't feel this really has anything to do with the Windows Store. (Sorry, GAF!) Somebody put up the wrong version of the game, theoretically that could happen anywhere, right? There's nothing Windows Store-exclusive to this disaster.

What's wrong with the port?

Nearly impossible to get a stable framerate over 30fps regardless of hardware, for example, random dips from 60 to 20 on a 980 for no reason at all

Horrible input lag when locked to 30fps so that's not really a good option either

So you're left with stutter city or lagcity. Choose one!

AsakuraZ

Sheesh, chalk up another issue to this horrible PC port. I haven't been able to really play this game since I purchased it since after a few minutes of playing it crashes to desktop for no reason. Constant fiddling, even upgrading my card and still no fix in sight. Its really depressing because it seems like a fun game, but I can't even play it on PC.

But if you played the game during that time, it auto saves and replaces the save. Which corrupted it.
That's not what the official post says... Says it only impacts if you create a new save which makes it sound like it means "save slot" not autosaves. Got a source?

Basically, for a good couple of months after release, the game refused to go much beyond 40FPS, and many people struggled to get a stable 30FPS. Then there was input lag issues if you tried to use the in-game frame rate cap, and then there were several reports of the game redownloading the entire 50Gb instead of downloading a patch (just like today, come to think of it). It was a mess that took far too long to get cleaned up, and even now it still chugs at Surfer's Paradise for literally everyone.

Dominator

Got scared for a second, just manually downloaded it on my Xbox One a few hours. Glad I'm not affected but sucks for those who were on PC.

GHG

Gold Member
That's not what the official post says... Says it only impacts if you create a new save which makes it sound like it means "save slot" not autosaves. Got a source?

AFAIK you only get one save slot per gamertag in the horizon games.

ViciousDS

Banned
The game autosaves. It doesn't slot. Source: I own it.

[UPDATE: 1:30 p.m. Pacific] - A few updates for you:

- The incorrect PC version of FH3 has now been removed and replaced. PC players who have the FH3 version ending with .37.2 should immediately uninstall that version of the game, then re-install. The correct playable version should end in .35.2.

- NOTE: PC players who completed the download of .37.2 and then started a new game save will have a corrupted saved game. Avoid creating a new saved game on .37.2, and only play on .35.2 to avoid this issue. As long as you have an existing save and have not created a new one on .37.2, your saved game will work correctly once the update is available.

As a reminder, you can check your version number on the launch screen where you sign in.

Who to believe. Maybe debug creates a new save or some weird shit and keeps the old one?

This doesn't make any sense lol

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Oh hey, another shit on windows store thread. /sigh.

LilJoka

It's impossible to understand how they can't even get their OWN games to deploy correctly on their OWN store. Not even origin or uplay are this bad.

BiggNife

Unless you have a top of the line CPU it's full of stuttering and framerate drops regardless of what your graphical settings are.

It's a shame too, because the game itself is so dope.

e: Looks like Windows 10 never auto-patched my game so I'm in the clear. Whew.

LilJoka

Unless you have a top of the line CPU it's full of stuttering and framerate drops regardless of what your graphical settings are.

It's a shame too, because the game itself is so dope.

I have a 6700k at 4.5ghz, it still stutters no matter the options. 3000mhz cl14 ram to top it off.

Who to believe. Maybe debug creates a new save or some weird shit and keeps the old one?

From what I'm seeing you weren't able to use your existing save with the development version, which makes sense. So if you then started a new game (which would kill the old save anyway) it then put that new development version save in the cloud, replacing your old existing save.

It's probably something they can roll back on a case by case basis, but AFAIK they haven't said anything about that.

Mine had auto downloaded in background (Windows Store runs download without opening it). I had no option but to uninstall and redownload the whole game. Amazing.

The fuck is that?! So any time they have an update your supposed to automagically know it's the Microsoft vampire sucking the bandwidth out of your home network? I knew it was shit but damn that's just awful. On a side note, how the hell do you uninstall a game on the store? I'm wiping any demos too just to be safe now, if I ever work out how the hell we're supposed to do that.

ViciousDS

Banned
From what I'm seeing you weren't able to use your existing save with the development version, which makes sense. So if you then started a new game (which would kill the old save anyway) it then put that new development version save in the cloud, replacing your old existing save.

It's probably something they can roll back on a case by case basis, but AFAIK they haven't said anything about that.

That makes sense......so an option to load your save shouldn't even appear and it would just say new game. Which then of course overwrites the existing cloud save and or local as well since same file name and your fucked

How nice......that's a fuck up

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Do explain please.

During the game's release in North America, Capcom and IGN held the "Be More Viewtiful! Sweepstakes", a contest in which entrants could win merchandise including either version of the game, a t-shirt with an "HMD" design, a skateboard, and a Viewtiful Joe 2 strategy guide by BradyGames.[ A desktop LCD clock was also released by Capcom during the game's North American debut. A demo of Viewtiful Joe 2 featured on North American PS2 preview discs made news when it was reported that playing the demo would cause a bug to completely erase all data on any inserted memory cards. Sony Computer Entertainment of America issued an apology and gave those affected a choice between several lesser-rated, previously released titles.

Source: wiki

GHG

Gold Member

A "new save" in the context of the game can be an autosave.

But seriously, why are people trying to even defend this? If my save got fucked id be straight on the phone for a refund. No way would I be fucking with starting from scratch again with well over 50 hours in the game and a bunch of unicorn cars.

KageMaru

This is why I never have auto-update enabled. Sucks for those affected by this. =/

The fuck is that?! So any time they have an update your supposed to automagically know it's the Microsoft vampire sucking the bandwidth out of your home network? I knew it was shit but damn that's just awful. On a side note, how the hell do you uninstall a game on the store? I'm wiping any demos too just to be safe now, if I ever work out how the hell we're supposed to do that.

It's really no different than any other store and can be turned off.

It's almost like it keeps on fucking up over and over and over and over again or something.

To be fair, this looks like a fuck up by the dev studio, not the store.

This is a super dumb mistake and I'm not making any excuses for it, but I'd love to hear somebody explain how this is somehow a Windows Store issue. What's special about the Windows Store which makes putting up the wrong version a problem that we wouldn't have seen with Origin, Uplay, etc.?

That makes sense......so an option to load your save shouldn't even appear and it would just say new game. Which then of course overwrites the existing cloud save and or local as well since same file name and your fucked

Yes, that's my understanding, though thankfully I don't have personal experience with this.

Bubba77

Sucks for anyone affected. As for performance since first patch I have has no issues and the game runs great for me on both my PCs. Sucks people still having issues.

My desktop is a i7 6800k with dual 1080s. 1440p unlocked framerate is a great experience.
My laptop is an i7 with gtx1060 6gb. 1080p unlocked framerate runs great.

Full disclosure both screens have Gsync monitors so maybe that just smooths out the experience for me.

Top Bottom