• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Store opens to third-party storefront apps, including Epic

Topher

Gold Member
So I can download storefront apps from the MS store rather than from a browser.

Jonah Hill Ok GIF

Last edited:

junguler

Banned
isn't there already a locked down version of windows that can't install any third party programs other than the ones from the windows store? this is for those poor bastards ...

Algan

I really like the concept of unifying multiple applications within a single store. Since the emergence of the first smartphones with iOS and Android, the PC has become delayed by not yet offering a repository of software that could be installed safely and without the need to use an internet browser.
Although there are still multiple stores, at least now we can install applications more easily without the risk of adware in the installation file.

windows-993690.jpg

Ezekiel_

Banned
Humm I wonder what's going to happen to the cut Microsoft keeps from PC game sales through the Microsoft Store.

If someone downloads the Epic Games Store from the Microsoft Store, and buys a PC game through the EGS, will Microsoft require a cut from the purchase?

They currently distinguish app sales and games sales. They don't take a cut from app sales but they do for games (12%).

Aren't they opening themselves up for a lawsuit, just like Epic vs Apple?

Topher

Gold Member
Humm I wonder what's going to happen to the cut Microsoft keeps from PC game sales through the Microsoft Store.

If someone downloads the Epic Games Store from the Microsoft Store, and buys a PC game through the EGS, will Microsoft require a cut from the purchase?

They currently distinguish app sales and games sales. They don't take a cut from app sales but they do for games (12%).

No, this is literally just like downloading the app from Epic. MS has nothing to do with it after the app is downloaded. They are trying to bring attention to their store however they can.

Dr Bass

No, because you can do anything you want on Windows. It's not a requirement to use the store to reach Windows customers.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Don't we have that already? I don't see how downloading the installer directly from Valve and Epic is any less secure or easy than downloading them from Microsoft.
A lot of morons will download them from softpedia or one of those other sites that bundle spyware with apps and have fake installation ads on them. It happens more than you think.

Put everything on the MS Store please. If I can just reinstall Windows or upgrade my PC and all my software and settings are automatically reinstalled, they will have redeemed themselves.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Don't we have that already? I don't see how downloading the installer directly from Valve and Epic is any less secure or easy than downloading them from Microsoft.
It's easier. Open store, download from there. Updating and uninstalling can also be much easier this way.

Also means people won't download malware when looking for it.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It's easier. Open store, download from there. Updating and uninstalling can also be much easier this way.

Yeah......getting malware downloading Epic, Amazon, Steam via browsers has been such a huge problem.

John Krasinski GIF

It is not a bad thing, but stop making it out like this is solving a massive problem.

Last edited:
A lot of morons will download them from softpedia or one of those other sites that bundle spyware with apps and have fake installation ads on them. It happens more than you think.
Dumb people gonna dumb. Putting the installers on another store won't do much to change that.

Open browser, download from there. Don't see the difference. Also, Steam and EGS already do automatic updates, and uninstalling them is as easy as right-clicking the icon and selecting uninstall. Literally takes fewer clicks than opening the store and doing it there.

Seriously, if someone can't figure out where to download Steam, then they probably shouldn't be anywhere near a PC, and I'm not just talking about gaming, either.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Dumb people gonna dumb. Putting the installers on another store won't do much to change that.

Open browser, download from there. Don't see the difference. Also, Steam and EGS already do automatic updates, and uninstalling them is as easy as right-clicking the icon and selecting uninstall. Literally takes fewer clicks than opening the store and doing it there.

Seriously, if someone can't figure out where to download Steam, then they probably shouldn't be anywhere near a PC, and I'm not just talking about gaming, either.
Installing it from the Microsoft Store means zero chance of getting the wrong installer. It's simpler and safer. End of story.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Well, yeah. It will. The average user prefers to download apps from trusted app stores and have that mechanism install the app. It's safer overall to install apps that way because there's a certain level of trust that comes with an app from an app marketplace vs. a download and install from a website that someone may inadvertently give elevated permissions to. It's the same model as Mac but Apple takes it a step farther and may actively block installation of apps downloaded outside of their App Store and make you jump through hoops to do the installation.

You can "herp derp this is stupid" if you want I suppose but it's actually a good thing for most people to be able to install apps this way. It makes perfect sense that if someone wants to install the EGS app that they do it from Microsoft's app store. The title of the post is just really poorly worded because this is just allowing installation of apps like EGS and Steam through the Microsoft app store like pretty much any other app.

Last edited:
When I saw the heading it sounded really good as I was having crazy thoughts but reading it, it's really nothing special.
Just for a fraction of a second I thought we were finally getting what I've always wanted on consoles, third party stores actually being able to sell console games on the actual console so they would have compete with each other to get you as a customer.
It's not that I ever thing it will happen, but just for the tiniest fraction of a second that's what I thought this was. :messenger_crying:
It's the same model as Mac but Apple takes it a step farther and may actively block installation of apps downloaded outside of their App Store and make you jump through hoops to do the installation.
I'm not sure what kind of Mac you're using but there's certainly no obligation to jump through anything to install whatever the hell you want on it. I get the feeling that if you're having to do minor athletics to install something on your Mac then perhaps you'd have been safer downloading whatever Mac App Store that you're using from the Mac App Store itself. You know, like an average user apparently prefers to do. ;)
To be honest, you can often find that content in the Mac App Store is often also sold externally by the company that produces the app and all you have to do is visit their website to buy it. It's a completely different binary to the one listed in the Mac App Store and Apple has nothing at all to do with it, you buy it and you download it.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I would love it if all companies would just list their apps on package managers (such as Chocolatey). That truly takes all of the hard work out of downloading and installing programs, especially when it comes to doing a fresh installation of Windows.

Installing it from the Microsoft Store means zero chance of getting the wrong installer. It's simpler and safer. End of story.
Well, yeah. It will. The average user prefers to download apps from trusted app stores and have that mechanism install the app. It's safer overall to install apps that way because there's a certain level of trust that comes with an app from an app marketplace vs. a download and install from a website that someone may inadvertently give elevated permissions to. It's the same model as Mac but Apple takes it a step farther and may actively block installation of apps downloaded outside of their App Store and make you jump through hoops to do the installation.

You can "herp derp this is stupid" if you want I suppose but it's actually a good thing for most people to be able to install apps this way. It makes perfect sense that if someone wants to install the EGS app that they do it from Microsoft's app store. The title of the post is just really poorly worded because this is just allowing installation of apps like EGS and Steam through the Microsoft app store like pretty much any other app.
You people greatly overestimate the effort Microsoft is willing to put into actually keeping their store safe, clean and organized. It took me about five minutes to find what appears to be a shady Chinese Steam knock-off/add-on requiring "Access all your files, peripheral devices, apps, programs and registry", applications that were found to spread malware five years ago ago but remain on the store unchanged to this day, as well as reports of several applications that passed Microsoft's review process despite containing hidden cryptominers.

Keep in mind that that's with barely anyone actually using the store. What do you think is going to happen if it ever becomes popular and people really start flooding it with crap?

Fredrik

One login and game library for everything would be awesome.
But this just seems like it’s another way to install EGS. I still need to start EGS and have an EGS login to buy and launch something from EGS, right?

Skifi28

Good guy Microsoft. Now do it on Xbox.

Oh wait, that would mean actually losing money. Nevermind, just a publicity stunt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom