• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

I can't wait for companies to start cracking down on Twitter usage. This is getting ridiculous.

Seems like tech companies have a larger appetite for this sort of nonsense. I know I would never dare speak on behalf of my company via Twitter. Not even with stupid analogies. The benefits are nil and the drawbacks could be huge.

Yawnier

Banned
I'm getting 2005/2006 era Sony vibes here, don't know about anybody else even though this is just one idiot saying stupid shit.

MooseKing

Banned
Sometimes I am in the military for half a decade and don't have reliable Internet 80 percent of the time.

Is an example he should have used...oh wait.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Well fuck

Hopefully the fact that Ubisoft owns RedLynx means that the next Trials will be on everything and not a Microsoft exclusive.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
The thing about always online is, how does that benefit me? Why does the system have to be always online? What does it do that's so compelling that I have to be connected? I can't for the life of me think of any possible reason I would give two shits about.

Social Networking, Downloading games while you're away at a faster/better rate, better connection/services for Netflix, Youtube, etc...

Basically just bulletpoint stuff for the entertainment center.

Developers always seem to think always online is something that provides this intangible benefit, or that the persistent connection is desired, when the only one I can think of that isn't on some level a DRM/Security issue is the 'you'll always be able to play with your friends wherever they are' route.

Mooreberg

More ridiculous comparisons. Did Ski Safari stop launching for him when his cell coverage got spotty?

Looks like there is fire to go with the smoke. Some funny months incoming.

Shinta

Banned
OEY5yp8.jpg

So, if you want the Durango you need to move to another city.

Holy fucking shit. They're really doing it.

1945914_o.gif

BigDes

I do wonder what would happen if hackers did to Live next generation what they did to PSN this generation and result in the servers being turned off for nearly a month (was it just over a month or just under).

Elginer

Seinfeld3.gif

Well, that about wraps it up for me next-gen. Sony, I'm coming back to your warm embracing arms. MS you can fuck right off.

Sony is a truly international company while MS is really mostly a US operation. They know their products can and will be used in places without reliable internet.
Their is plenty of unreliable Internet providers in the us. More rural areas could abandon the Xbox. I really don't get the thinking behind such stupid comments. I hope someone disciplines him for making comments like this to concerned consumers. I'm a fan of Xbox but this crap leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I might be a one console gamer next gen. Their announcement better be good to get people interested.

mittelos

Wow, those tweets are like a GAF account suicide. I mean going through with it is one thing, but the tone of it all.

Looks like my Playstation will promote up to my main console; hopefully my Vita gets put to good use with it.

Yeah, fire this guy. He's either trolling us or he's just a complete idiot.

I wouldn't rule out both being true. And something tells me insulting huge swatches of MS's consumer base isn't going to be received well back at work. The "why would I live there" line was the worst of all of that.

Toppot

I don't usually agree with gif responses but...

XUIPb.gif

If they think people are gonna be ok with not being able to play a game, that they bought on a damn disc, because their internet happens to be being funny, then Microsoft has another thought coming. PS4 sales are gonna go up mad this generation.

On the flip side, most people use Steam fine most of the time without complaint. Steam also doesn't work if you suddenly lose internet, but people don't stop using Steam, though admittedly Steam has a hell of a lot more pluses than Xbox Live as it stands.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Holy shit, is this guy for real with this shit?

Yeah.... slowly working my way to not getting the nextbox.

Top Bottom