• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Fandangox

Have you tried using that? Certainly not an easy works 100% if the time solution. The current game consoles work much better than Steam in this situation. I am just wondering why the same amount of hate is not placed on Steam?

Certainly messy, and probably not even on Valve's best interests to fix it. But it is at least still there. Steam doesn't become otherwordly useless as it is implied it'd be the case with the Next Xbox.

web01

What is worst about always online is absolutely no way to play games in an inevitable future where online services are discontinued.
Obviously it is thinking a long way into the future but it is still a terrible proposition.

UberTag

At least the expression on his face probably matches his twitter avatar right now.

zvIpWvcl.jpg
I like this one better.

e9d5600fe3757ec2b070da8bf94eb816.jpeg

demolitio

Way to bring more bad press to a topic that had bad press to begin with...lol

Are they just providing the competition with jokes to use at E3? They better knock it out of the park everywhere else...

CLEEK

Adam was giving his friend- they are good friends in real life- shit about where he lives. People are taking it wrong. I GET why people are taking it the way they are based on what they have to go on, but in the interest of making the truth known: Orth was NOT knocking folks who don't live in cities and such. It simply is not that but I fear- cause Adam is a good friend of mine and a great game designer- that most folks will take it as a slap to less populated areas of the country and that is SO. NOT. ADAM.

David

The 'why would I live there?' tweet is not why this is all over the internet, as you well know.

That is the only tweet that could be seen as a back-and-forth between friends. But even still, when taken in context with his other tweets, it seems to just be another ridiculous analogy/reason why complaining about always online is wrong. You don't have good internet, why don't you just move?

Do you actually not sign into Xbox Live when you are playing single player games because that seems very weird to me.

I love single player games, but I don't play them when I'm offline because I don't know which of my consoles I last played them on. You can overwrite your game saves when you're relying on cloud syncing. You also risk achievements not syncing. Also some XBLA games will not let you play unless you are online. It's not worth the hassle. If the Internet is out the Xbox is a DVD player.
1) I don't own multiple 360s
2) I don't have Xbox Live Gold
3) I don't give a shit about achievements syncing
4) I don't buy Indie games that require online connection

Have you tried using that? Certainly not an easy works 100% if the time solution. The current game consoles work much better than Steam in this situation. I am just wondering why the same amount of hate is not placed on Steam?

The honest answer for me? Low prices, reliable offline mode and the ability to play my game on any steam-compatible device.

If MS can pull the above things off then maybe I can reconsider.
However, we lack info right now and I don't see console game prices hitting steam levels.

MS are going to have to think of really creative ways to spin this information if they want nextbox to sell. At the same time Sony should make it a priority to attack this "feature" of nextbox.

Except they really can't.

Sony said they aren't requiring this at the platform level, rather it's up to the publisher. There will be online-only games on the PS4 as well.

kirblar

Adam was giving his friend- they are good friends in real life- shit about where he lives. People are taking it wrong. I GET why people are taking it the way they are based on what they have to go on, but in the interest of making the truth known: Orth was NOT knocking folks who don't live in cities and such. It simply is not that but I fear- cause Adam is a good friend of mine and a great game designer- that most folks will take it as a slap to less populated areas of the country and that is SO. NOT. ADAM.

David
The issue isn't blowing up because of the slap to rural areas.

It's because of the pervasive attitude with many developers that "social" things are the future when many of us simply want to be able to dive into a game the same way you dive into a good book or movie- alone.

Darryl

Banned

David

should ask him about the always online bit

You know that's just what Braid and BioShock and Limbo were missing! More sharing and social features. Thanks for enlightening us man!

Braid and Bioshock and Limbo are nice indie hits with critics, but they are not World of Warcraft or Minecraft or even Farmville in terms of monetary value and mainstream appeal.

Social is extremely important to selling games, it isn't an accident that Sony is putting a share button on their controller. Half the PS4 conference was about how important social and sharing is. Well most of those features Sony talked about are worthless if they don't convince their customers to connect their console to the Internet frequently.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

David

That's not even what this is about... the discussion here is about always-online, that many feel this is confirmation, and he was a fucking douche about it.

That's the issue.

MormaPope

Banned
This guy got Neogafed and Reddit Front Page at the same time. I can hear the PR people jumping out of windows right now.

Also, Why is everyone so quick to pitch fork for this guy's job? He made a mistake thinking that what he says on twitter could have some form of privacy, and he came off, out of context to us, like kind of a dick. Does that alone warrant him losing his job?

His actions and words can be interpreted as part of the Durango's design, especially considering his position. It can be interpreted that he confirmed a very negative rumor before Microsoft even announces the console, he fucked up.

To be fair this kind of stuff has far reaching implications, if one of the big three are fully embracing this "always-online" business model it sets a precedent for the rest of the games industry.

With that in mind it's entirely reasonable for people to be getting "worked up" over what appears to be a high profile member of MS publicly mocking customer concerns. Doesn't matter if he was joking, he represents Microsoft, his words reflect the company position whether he likes it or not.

I agree with you. He was an idiot for saying it, whether he was joking or not. I just don't see this as confirmation of ANYTHING. The only thing that makes to me is that he is trolling. Like he knows that Microsoft is not planning to go "always-online" and he thought he was just being funny with it. That's just how I personally look at this.

butanebob

Neo Member
Wow that guy on twitter is a complete cock sucker. Also Microsoft might as well hang themselves if they're actually going to make their next console online only. :\

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
so what about the online-only stuff

Knowing Adam, he was probably fucking around with M. But I've not spoken with him- he MAY believe that, he may have just been kidding. I honestly have zero idea about that part. But I honestly hope he doesn't get fired for it. I know so many of you guys who are opposed to 'online only' don't care (and that is certainly your right) but this is a real human we are talking about with a family and trust me when I say that he's one of the good ones. You may disagree with him about this issue (assuming he really meant what he wrote- and yes, that was his responsibility to be aware of how stuff reads on Twitter and how hungry folks are for news about next-gen, especially from someone with his job title) but I assure you guys: if you knew the guy, you'd be feeling really bad for him right now and really all works out great for him.

Not asking you to change your mind or anything- just giving my perspective on it.

Thanks for reading-

David

David

His comments about how everything is connected now and his horrible analogies are still not awesome.

Gives off a very "tough luck if you're not in an urban area" vibe.

Zinthar

David

I can kind of see that... but usually that type of joking between friends doesn't take the form of a mass-tweeting -- and that's probably because most people in such a job would realize that it could be easily misunderstood when all of your tweets are public and nothing in the context suggested trolling.

In any event, it is definitely true that less populated areas with poor internet connectivity are getting the shaft from Microsoft here, and that's definitely not a joke.

Edit: I definitely agree that he shouldn't be fired for this -- everyone screws up now and again.

Braid and Bioshock and Limbo are nice indie hits with critics, but they are not World of Warcraft or Minecraft or even Farmville in terms of monetary value and mainstream appeal.

Social is extremely important to selling games, it isn't an accident that Sony is putting a share button on their controller. Half the PS4 conference was about how important social and sharing is. Well most of those features Sony talked about are worthless if they don't convince their customers to connect their console to the Internet frequently.

Bioshock indie ?

Wah...

FroJay

Banned
He shouldn't lose his job because of this.

But I won't buy Durango if it's always online.

Agreed on both counts, he shouldn't lose his job over this. MS will see defectors in the hardcore segment though, those of us who buy tons of games and subscribed to their service (Live) the last 11 years. They better pull a rabbit out of a damn hat. Sony better hammer them on this hard, do it at E3, do it in advertisements, do it every chance they get to spread consumer awareness of this.

Shinta

Banned

David

The bigger news is that someone of prominence at Microsoft would defend always online devices on the same day Kotaku ran another rumor talking about specifics of the always online Durango.

Why would anyone at Microsoft vigorously defend it as a joke unless they were actually doing it? That's really the only significant news here, and no one has addressed it since this broke out.

The stuff about the towns, I get it, don't take it literally, he doesn't "actually" hate small towns (maybe). Fine. But even still, I don't have any sense that this isn't more or less his attitude if their next console is online only. Regardless of his tweet, that would shaft anyone without stable internet in the exact way he's talking about on twitter in his "jokes."

Do I think he should be fired? No, that's none of my business. Entirely up to Microsoft really, and I doubt they would do it because a forum said so. Any statements about his job status should probably be directed to Microsoft.

JCreasy

The first part says

Wow.

So basically his strategy is to attack the media for something his colleague actually said.

Where have I seen this dance before?

In other news, MS doesn't care about 47% of gamers. Says they feel entitled to offline gaming and that they'll never be able to get them to take responsibility for themselves.

Chaplain

The only logical conclusion to 720 always being online is that the servers will be needed to help out with graphics and sound processing. Seems like this was talked about sometime in 2012. Does anyone remember what article I am referring too?

rdrr gnr

The only logical conclusion to 720 always being online is that the servers will be needed to help out with graphics and sound processing. Seems like this was talked about sometime in 2012. Does anyone remember what article I am referring too?
There is no reason that is necessary on a console level.

Reiko

Banned
Knowing Adam, he was probably fucking around with M. But I've not spoken with him- he MAY believe that, he may have just been kidding. I honestly have zero idea about that part. But I honestly hope he doesn't get fired for it. I know so many of you guys who are opposed to 'online only' don't care (and that is certainly your right) but this is a real human we are talking about with a family and trust me when I say that he's one of the good ones. You may disagree with him about this issue (assuming he really meant what he wrote- and yes, that was his responsibility to be aware of how stuff reads on Twitter and how hungry folks are for news about next-gen, especially from someone with his job title) but I assure you guys: if you knew the guy, you'd be feeling really bad for him right now and really all works out great for him.

Not asking you to change your mind or anything- just giving my perspective on it.

Thanks for reading-

David

Just saying man, emotions are riding high at the moment on the Internet. Even if the intent was to joke... The Internet can eat you alive.

I don't hope anyone loses their job, but man he's going to have to come up with something to spin this positively to the higher ups.

Basically, this is what the xbox division on microsoft is now a days. nobody with real care about the consumers and dollar signs in their eyes. Always on xbox? Need to pay to play online?

What a genius idea to get a 1to1 xbox live subscription with every console. Paywall is going to be more ridiculous than ever.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
The 'why would I live there?' tweet is not why this is all over the internet, as you well know.

That is the only tweet that could be seen a s aback-and-forth between friends. But even still, when taken in context with his other tweets, it seems to just be another ridiculous analogy/reason why complaining about always online is wrong. You don't have good internet, why don't you just move?

I am aware of that. But look at the post I was responding to.

The online-only thing I get the anger over, sure. And I get why you feel Adam feels he is a fan of it. I'm just saying- and I get 99.9% of folks reading this have no reason to feel the same- that knowing Adam, he was fucking around in all counts with his friend and it got out of hand because he kinda let his pro-guard down (happens to me all the damn time! :)...

David

Thanks for reading-

David

Dave, anyone truly after his job for this is beyond douche level. Support your friend.

Roto13

David

Great.

So how about that always online false equivalence bullshit? You know, the thing this thread is actually about? Because he really, truly does not seem to give a tiny little shit about people who don't have access to reliable, stable internet connections, even disregarding the "Why would I want to live there?" tweets.

Darryl

Banned

i don't see any benefit to that. it sounds like the ridiculous bullshit they said around Sim City.

Thanks for reading-

David
I definitely disagree with his views on always online but yeah if this is just casual tweeting between friends, it'd be a shame for the man to lose his job. He'd also have tweeted at the worst possible time with kotaku's article today regarding always online and people still feeling the sting of Sim City's botched launch

freddy

Banned
Why would anyone at Microsoft vigorously defend it as a joke unless they were actually doing it? That's really the only significant news here, and no one has addressed it since this broke out.

It's probably not something they can talk about.

sqwarlock

Because Steam doesn't kick you out of a game if your internet dies.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
David Jaffe confirmed to be working on a Durango online only exclusive?

Thanks for reading-

David

Of course I hope he doesn't lose his job over this, that would be very sad. Unfortunate how it turned out.

Anyway, as stated before, that's not the main point of this topic. With all the reliable rumors, actual MS document leaks, and his vehement defense of always-online, which he was not joking about as I spoke to him directly on Twitter, damn thing pretty much confirmed :-/

Yagharek

God, I hope this always online feature gets officially announced at E3 with everyone responding with a resounding "boooo!"

Lol, as if.

All the journalists will be dressed in recycled Kinect ponchos, given free systems and prepped with arguments about how to insult gamers who don't like the steps MS are taking.

Top Bottom