• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Toki767

I don't think anyone wants him to lose his job.

PR courses should probably be mandatory for anyone working at big corporations using social media though.

speedline

Banned
Finally I will be a one console owner for next gen, MS and Nintendo made it easy this go around.

These past couple of gens have been too expensive for me anyhow.

So you are saying this dude's livelihood should be destroyed over some stupid spat on Twitter? Okay. Seriously I think people in this thread need some serious perspective before they go handing off someone to the wolves.

After reading his completely ignorant and obnoxious response to the question posed about what if he lived in a rural town with spotty broadband Internet, I 100% believe he deserves to be shitcanned. I run a local business. If this guy were my employee and made such a stupid ass statement publicly, his ass would be gone.

Harlock

We can see the next xbox revel full of the same excuses used in Starcraft, Diablo and Sim City. " We are creating an online experience and progression in all the games".

eot

Banned
I'm not going to feel sorry for this guy for saying what he says to the public while openly representing himself as an employee at one of the largest corporations in the world. Feeling bad for someone who fucks up THIS BAD is akin to rewarding idiocy via sympathy and complacency.

I'm not perfect, I make mistakes, but I'm not gonna get reported in the news, which can NEVER be taken away, or drag my employer down with me.

The moment a person abandons common sense, they crawl into that grave they dug for themselves, otherwise they shouldn't have picked up the shovel, regardless of how good of a person they are or what sort of family they have made.

A lot of the time making a mistake and not using your common sense are the same thing. If you look on gleefully as someone gets fired over a twitter post then wtf? This internet crucifxion crap has to stop.

So you are saying this dude's livelihood should be destroyed over some stupid spat on Twitter? Okay. Seriously I think people in this thread need some serious perspective before they go handing off someone to the wolves.

Well, assuming that Reddit post is true, it's kind of his fault that he refuses to learn from his mistakes.

And not only that, but at this point the ship has sailed. This has snowballed way to much into a frenzy. It's being picked up by everyone. He has no one to blame but himself.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I don't think anyone wants him to lose his job.

PR courses should probably be mandatory for anyone working at big corporations using social media though.

No, but he will. He most likely signed an NDA, plus this is just bad business practice.

unbias

Damnit...why does all the fun stuff happen when I had to work all day, yesterday. This is hilarious though, this guys reaction make Arthur look like a saint.

eot

Banned
After reading his completely ignorant and obnoxious response to the question posed about what if he lived in a rural town with spotty broadband Internet, I 100% believe he deserves to be shitcanned. I run a local business. If this guy were my employee and made such a stupid ass statement publicly, his ass would be gone.

Well that's a business decision, doesn't mean you can't have some empathy for the guy.

Sorral

This was up on the Reddit conversations. Insight into Adam's personality?

This whole thing just keeps on giving.

Kotaku, Reddit(top story atm), TheVerge, CNET, GameInformer, Huffingtonpost, a few more.

The Escapist just now

I predict: Engadget, Joystiq(hours late per norm), RPS, a Jimquisition episode, and more

B.O.O.M

Look at the main tech pages.. It starts out with:

#DEALWITHIT
Microsoft Exec Fans Rumour That Next Xbox Requires 'Always On' Internet Connection

Not sure why Rumour is spelt that way. English is my second language.

yeah and as I posted above escapist magazine also posted on it. By morning (1.13AM here in PST) it will be all over the place. I can't imagine MS being silent about it..surely a PR statement is on the way

This story has traction like snow tires with barbed chains on them. It's not going away.

I'm not going to feel sorry for this guy for saying what he says to the public while openly representing himself as an employee at one of the largest corporations in the world. Feeling bad for someone who fucks up THIS BAD is akin to rewarding idiocy via sympathy and complacency.

I'm not perfect, I make mistakes, but I'm not gonna get reported in the news, which can NEVER be taken away, or drag my employer down with me.

The moment a person abandons common sense, they crawl into that grave they dug for themselves, otherwise they shouldn't have picked up the shovel, regardless of how good of a person they are or what sort of family they have made.
Assuming he gets seriously reprimanded for this, I don't see a reason to have ill will towards his job position. I think it would be best to stick to criticizing his points in a discussion here. No point in commenting what should happen to his employment or making much talk about him personally.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
CzcQJCX.gif

Holy shit....I cannot wait until I wake up and see this thread again.

mavs

Thanks for the replies GAF. Read Jaffe's posts and I like the stance he's taking.

At the end of the day, while Orth's tweets reek of pretentiousness, it would suck for him to lose his job over them.

EDIT: Dunno if the higher-ups at Microsoft would be as forgiving given how widespread this has become

Yeah it would suck and cause sadness and all but, MAN. MAAAAAAAN. What a thing this is, that he did. Those are two completely separate thoughts that came out of this mess.

I bet if MS did a hasty reveal conference like Sony did then this would be on a lower level. This is literally the only thing we have to talk about right now, at least if they had already done a partial reveal we would have games and trailers to talk about or something, ANYTHING.

ekim

My 2 cents about the whole issue:
Personally, I don't care about the always-online constraint as it is assumed that MS will have their shit together. It's a bad thing for offline-people for sure, but this is not to my concern.
Just remember the first time, when you had to activate a game on steam, which was/is also only possible, if you're connected. I remember the hate towards Valve when HL2 released. This issues and arguments here are basically the same. (Ok, it's worse because of the allgeded 3-minute timer)

I hope I'm not too naive with my opinion and MS delivers some good games.

Sweet Billy is a highly regarded game developer. That man is brimming with talent. Just ask Jaffe. He's good! Go ahead and fire him, this cat is mobile, always lands on his feet.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Is...is that guy saying we should be glad that vacuums don't require internet connections?

What the hell?

I certainly don't want him to lose his job, and I doubt that he will be fired due to just how much that would inflame the already insane shitstorm of negative publicity surrounding MS. But man, with the flak he's drawn, that working environment can't be nice.

Top Bottom