• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

I hope the guy doesn't lose his job. I mean it's MS's fault anyway.

Cyrano

Glad I have a PC!

I mean, Dark Souls II is coming to PC. There really aren't any games I could possibly imagine that would be 720 exclusives. At least, not any good games.

At this point, the usual response from Microsoft (we don't comment on rumors) wouldn't be much more than "deal with it." That's a fair bit of press.

Why does Arthur Gies seemingly always align himself with the stance that is likely to be wrong in these things?

Does he like yelling at people and think that yelling at people is easier when people are calling you dumb or something?

Coolwhip

Banned
iFFi2CtuwpUD6.gif

Good job.

I'm surprised at the lack of other good gifs so far tbh. So much gold material ready to use.

Johnson81

Neo Member
I wouldn't be surprised if MS will go the always on route. It allows them to advertise to every gamer every time you switch the console on.

Imagine a world if MS had all the publishers on board to develop exclusively for the 720 by promising them no used game sales, reduced piracy rates, higher revenue returns through digital only. All publishers boycott the PS4 to ensure they received a portion of EVERY game sale/activation as opposed to the used market the PS4 will have.

Shudders, but this is what they're aiming for eventually.

Wasp14

The remark about "Why would I live there?" was incredibly rude. Way to insult your potential customers that don't live in L.A. or San Fran. This guy has such a huge level of arrogance it's insulting. If the nextbox requires constant online connectivity it'll be a failure. I shouldn't have to always be connected to play my games, the same way I shouldn't to watch movies.

ekim

The remark about "Why would I live there?" was incredibly rude. Way to insult your potential customers that don't live in L.A. or San Fran. This guy has such a huge level of arrogance it's insulting. If the nextbox requires constant online connectivity it'll be a failure. I shouldn't have to always be connected to play my games, the same way I shouldn't to watch movies.

As pointed out - he was joking with a friend.

Flatline

Banned
His first three tweets wasn't engaging his "friend" whatsoever.

I'm talking specifically about "deal with it" that keeps getting quoted and the joke he made about living in a city. He's justifications about always online were ridiculous but I don't think they're that far off from the official PR excuses Microsoft will make if this crap gets greenlit.

Fivefold

Banned
You're right, the successful launches of Diablo3 and SimCity have shown that always-online is a feasible DRM implementation. Can't wait to see how that pans out among console users.

Both games sold millions and were extremely profitable for EA and Blizzard. MS will be fine.

Einbroch

Banned
Why does Arthur Gies seemingly always align himself with the stance that is likely to be wrong in these things?

Does he like yelling at people and think that yelling at people is easier when people are calling you dumb or something?

Some people like to be the devil's advocate. It makes for interesting discussion. I mean, he's semi-(in)famous now, so there's that.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
No, you are very wrong. It is a reaction from someone who works at Microsoft. Any company will tell you their employee's opinions do not necessarily represent that of the company's.

Agreed and I hope MS officially comments or unveils their new system soon.

It seems like everyone defending this "always online" BS are ridiculous M$ fanboys. That being said, after going through 6 xbox 360s and swearing off the thing, they are just making it infinitely easier to stick with Sony.

Most likely the backlash will cause MS to back down. Or they think it will make them so much money forcing everyone to be connected to shove ads at them they will continue on with it like they did with the negative reaction to Metro on Windows 8 desktops, just because they have money signs in their eyes.

I wouldn't be surprised if MS will go the always on route. It allows them to advertise to every gamer every time you switch the console on.

Imagine a world if MS had all the publishers on board to develop exclusively for the 720 by promising them no used game sales, reduced piracy rates, higher revenue returns through digital only. All publishers boycott the PS4 to ensure they received a portion of EVERY game sale/activation as opposed to the used market the PS4 will have.

Shudders, but this is what they're aiming for eventually.

They might as well aim for another galaxy then, because they are never gonna reach it too.

Dyno

If I woke up and saw website headlines that said: "X-Box Always on - Dyno says 'Deal with it" then I would come to work with a big box because this just could be a firing day!

Master_JO

Banned

moneycontrol ( Indian NO.1 Financial port )
Microsoft Creative Director hints at always-online requirement for next-gen Xbox

broadbandreports : As Microsoft Studios Employee Mocks User Concerns On Twitter

ironcreed

Banned

Ha, Ha, Ha... I had a feeling this is what the morning would bring.

wildfire

Banned

Flatline

Banned

Because the site he works for is a PR firm disguised as a gaming site always siding with the highest bidder.

So yes we have heard of him.

There that answers your question. As in he is real and works in the industry. Now at Microsoft.

Any other goal posts you want to move?

You missed the point of my post entirely,

but that's okay,

keep pushing your baseless agenda.

DSix

Banned
Perhaps MS tries to create a false positive reaction at their conference when they'll announce they wont require an always on connection.

Hari Seldon

I don't think Microsoft cares too much about people that don't have live, since their profit margin on those customers is fairly low, selling the console at a loss and all.

But surely they care about the video game enthusiasts (i.e. us) who buy more games than just COD every year.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe it's a confusion of telephone tennis? Just a guess. Twitter tennis... messages flying back and forth. Kind of makes sense given the context but I could be wrong.

A game of "telephone" is where someone starts out with one message which gets more and more distorted as it goes along purplemonkeydishwasher. So "twitter telephone" is twitter messages getting passed around until they don't really represent the original anymore.

Edit: Wow this thread moves quickly. Beaten 3 times over.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
No, you are very wrong. It is a reaction from someone who works at Microsoft. Any company will tell you their employee's opinions do not necessarily represent that of the company's.

You're very wrong on this and if you have any stature in the company you work for then you should damn well know the implications of tweeting or even posting something on your Facebook wall that can go against the company rhetoric.

RobbieH

Takuya

Banned

That is quite a list. lol

Call me when this hits BBC, Fox, CNN, WSJ or something else that isn't so gaming/tech related. Huffington post is nice but I don't see this backlash as being serious enough until it breaches more non-gaming related circles.

With the current coverage this is getting, I wouldn't be surprised if the big news chained picked up on it if someone tipped them off on the scale of the incident.

ekim

That a message being repeated from individual to individual will tend to be distorted and exaggerated compared to the orignal over time and with the telling.

:) thanks - So it's the equivalent to the "Stille Post" game we have in germany.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Are some people really saying that these tweets in no way confirm that the next Xbox will have the always online model? I mean, technically that's true. But if everybody is spreading rumors that I'm dating a 15 year old, and then I come out and say "WELL WHAT'S THE PROBLEM WITH DATING 15 YEAR OLDS?" I would think that people would be justified in finding their suspicions confirmed.

If this guy said this shit and the next Xbox is NOT always-on? That's even worse for him.

slider

Never heard of broken telephone?

I hadn't and I just Googled it and learned something new! I'd previously only known it as "Chinese Whispers" (don't know where the name is from or if it's offensive).

Edit:

A game of "telephone" is where someone starts out with one message which gets more and more distorted as it goes along purplemonkeydishwasher. So "twitter telephone" is twitter messages getting passed around until they don't really represent the original anymore.

Edit: Wow this thread moves quickly. Beaten 3 times over.

Thanks guy, I hadn't heard the phrase before.

Feorax

Perhaps MS tries to create a false positive reaction at their conference when they'll announce they wont require an always on connection.

If Microsofts showing is that poor that they are relying on such tactics then that's just as damning.

Top Bottom