• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Z3M0G

This is (was) the danger of waiting so long to announce the console.

Microsoft allowed others to establish the narrative about the next Xbox, and unfortunately, it is predominantly bad. It's reaching a point where it has to respond to rumors or risk further damage to its product.

I don't see the argument where waiting until May to announce makes sense. The number one rule of bad PR is to get ahead of the story.

True words. They need to say something... today.

DieH@rd

Banned
twitterjimsterlingamaxlsxi.jpg

Master_JO

Banned
They don't really have to do anything, in May they will have their announcement and talk about it, and if then is confirmed some people will not buy it and some people will.

I don't think Microsoft cares too much about people that don't have live, since their profit margin on those customers is fairly low, selling the console at a loss and all.

Agree but this will also effect the paying xbox members the ones who have an internet connection.

It will still scare alot of people who have not lost an internet connection for years and drive them to choose another option. The one and only question before thinking about buying the next xbox will be ( What if lose the the internet connect ?) That is a profit right there. A lost customer.

I don't think The world is ready for Only always internet console yet. *GAIKAI, Onlive*

onQ123

h4DEBDE60

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
MuseManMike said:
Detective-GAF then finds an alleged dev on a separate forum claiming one should keep up with their ISP bills (implying some truth to the rumor).
Detective-GAF then confirms that alleged dev to be an actual developer working on next-gen games.

Whoa--when/where did this happen?

Flatline

Banned
I kind of agree, even though he should probably have known better since he is a suave internet user that is always online, and all that jazz. :)

my own beef with this is solely the message, not the messenger or the style in which it was provided.

Completely agree on this too, I'm starting to feel really sorry for the messenger the last couple of hours.

maltrain

And I could add that almost EVERY SPANISH VIDEOGAME SITE has this new... same thing on videogames forums... the ball and the nuisance is growing worldwide...

Huff

Banned
Guys, stop talking about this very likely reality about the new Microsoft console.

Your agendas are showing

JaggedSac

I hope the guy doesn't lose his job. I mean it's MS's fault anyway.

Yes. It really would be a shame to lose one's job over this. The world is a hyper sensitive place. Always remember to never make jokes that ANYONE could POSSIBLY be offended by. Not on Twitter, not even between friends. Someone could be listening and you could get fired.

Einbroch

Banned
All of the rumors, including Kotaku's, have come with the proviso that Microsoft can change it at any minute with minimal effort and impact. A simple firmware update presumably.

That's just so they can say "Haha, just kidding guys. Our sources were wrong.".

Look at SimCity and the way the game forced online (from a design perspective). Not being able to do everything yourself was the point of the game. Extrapolate this to Watch Dogs. Weird glimpses of a connected world with other players. If online was forced, this would be pretty cool. Imagine you're in your huge world with 2-3 other random people doing random things. Always online enables this.

I'm just saying that from a development side, if developers wanted to take advantage of this, it is more than just a firmware update and it's gone.

AndyH

Neo Member
The best you can hope for from all of this back lash is that MS backs down and makes some adjustments to their systems. When Edge initially posted some information on this subject I also got my own confirmation that this was what MS was planning. I haven't checked since then, but since so many more people are coming out with this now, I can only assume that they are still planning on always online. Some people willy deny it like they did with the specs until it is smack dab in their face though.

This guy will probably get a slap on the wrist for this.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ahahaha thank you, fucking hell. Sweet Billy sounds like a Suda51 character.

...We need Sweet Billy in the next Suda title. Seriously.

My God, what a thread, and what a fail for Microsoft. Third gen Curse(TM) is good, but I'd go with the Italian version, so musical:

La Maledizione della Terza Generazione(TM)

You see? It's a melodical expression, always on the staff.

maltrain

The official announcement will drown any kind of rumor and "outraged" people in this forum. So no I don't think Microsoft needs to do shit right now.

Not every people look this news on forums... most people will only see "Microsoft launch his new console" and that's all. This is harmful. And Microsoft should stop it. If they can, of course... because I really think the rumor is true.

You're very wrong on this and if you have any stature in the company you work for then you should damn well know the implications of tweeting or even posting something on your Facebook wall that can go against the company rhetoric.
I'm not wrong, sorry. I advise you to become a little more familiar with the legal disclaimer. Microsoft has the legal stance of distancing themselves completely from Orth's public statements, which you've completely dismissed as being reality.

Now what happens to Adam Orth internally based on his actions is completely up to his employer and I'm in no position to say what will or will not be the result..

Japan doesn't even care about Xbox but it's on Amaebi.
http://amaebi.net/archives/2042909.html

Are some people really saying that these tweets in no way confirm that the next Xbox will have the always online model? I mean, technically that's true. But if everybody is spreading rumors that I'm dating a 15 year old, and then I come out and say "WELL WHAT'S THE PROBLEM WITH DATING 15 YEAR OLDS?" I would think that people would be justified in finding their suspicions confirmed.

Haha, well said. Reminded me of the Jerry Sandusky interview.

That's just so they can say "Haha, just kidding guys. Our sources were wrong.".

Look at SimCity and the way the game forced online (from a design perspective). Not being able to do everything yourself was the point of the game. Extrapolate this to Watch Dogs. Weird glimpses of a connected world with other players. If online was forced, this would be pretty cool. Imagine you're in your huge world with 2-3 other random people doing random things. Always online enables this.

I'm just saying that from a development side, if developers wanted to take advantage of this, it is more than just a firmware update and it's gone.

Thing is people should always have the option. Not everyone wants to play the game with other people. Want to enable that feature? Sign in online. It's not hard and gives someone the choice.

Radec

I watched this thread from start to fruitition, and I expect to see more comedy gold tomorrow.

now need to sleep.

GJ Gaf, you did well. :D

EDIT: And Sunhi delivered!

Reading through his post history is feels like reading the dialogue of a Microsoft shill. Adam Orth starts at Microsoft Feb 2012 and three months later Penguins&PolarBears is on GAF and posting almost exclusively in topics related to Microsoft products. Windows 8, Windows Phone, Nokia Lumia, Surface, Xbox Live, Durango, etc. Even if they're not the same individual the person behind the account obviously has an agenda they're looking to press (and/or defend). Even some of his lone forays into topics related to competing products recently have only been to point out how the fashion in which they do X is inferior to the Microsoft approach.

Just saw his post history, and you're right.

Time to add that clown to the list.

It's funny, because even living in the middle of New York City my internet is super unreliable because the wiring in the building is ancient. Looks like no Durango for me.

They cant ignore this. Everybody is attacking them and their high ranking employee.

Ignoring it is the BEST thing they could do if they were actually serious about always-online. And they're probably going to go through with it so..... expect them to stay silent.

Top Bottom