• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft supposedly forced parity on Division 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDSLKTR

VG247 has an article on spiderman puddlegate and it has this choice quote:
“On The Division, Xbox had a deal with Ubisoft, and part of that deal was to ensure that the PS4 version did not look better than it. The resolution, frame rates, and density of assets could have been higher on PS4, but this was vetoed to prevent issues with Microsoft.”
Forcing parity so you can claim your console is the best place to play games.
04d00a1e89a45cf552dea3c450e4d06b.jpg

Kacho

Gold Member
Is there any actual proof of this?

I find it hard to believe some random guy who writes for some random site that casually drops this in an article about Spider-Man downgrades.

Yeah it's called modern marketing rights in the gaming world. Sony does it freaking all the time e.g. Destiny.

Ulysses 31

I remember Deus Ex 2.

Never forget.
Crysis 2 burned me more then the devs said if the geometries couldn't be done on consoles it won't be done for the PC version and how the story was revamped to introduce console players to the story rather than continue from where Crysis left off. :lollipop_confused:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Well, they had marketing rights, did they not? They stumped up a lot of cash for development. It was hardly an ugly game either.

Oh and... Sony have done this. A LOT. Happens often, on both sides. Where’s the beef?

The difference is what company does it.

All jokes aside, I guess people on both sides gets upset when anyone gets a worse experience, regardless of platform. Just easier to notice for PS4 players, since there’s like three times as many compared to Xbox One.

Pretty sure alot of the games had parity? I mean wait wasn't there a parity clause in the development agreement Microsoft had?
No that was a feature and release clause.
Like you can't release a game on Ps4 fist, but the same later on Xbox One.

But this rumor is kind of Bullshit and was never proven anyway.
Plenty of games with the marketing rights on Microsofts side look better on Ps4
Plenty of games with no marketing rights on Microsofts side have parity.
So why would The Division this big expectation to the norm? Does not make much sense.

ILLtown

Isn't this article based on a false premise? The Digital Foundry face-off points out that the Xbox One version runs at a lower resolution: -

PS4 permanently runs at native 1080p, while Xbox One operates using dynamic resolution scaling, which sees pixel quality reduced in more complex scenes. For example, outdoor areas tend to operate at 1792x1008 and 1728x972, with the engine switching back to native 1080p when moving indoors or into less detailed environments.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-the-division-face-off

The PS4 version also has a slightly more stable frame rate and they give the nod to it over the Xbox One version in the conclusion.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Yeah it's called modern marketing rights in the gaming world. Sony does it freaking all the time e.g. Destiny.

Wasn't that a false accusation? Someone said it could run at 60fps on the Xbox One X based on the hardware specifications but turned out to be false.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Yeah, if I recall nothing was actually removed or anything to hit 1080p on Xbox, it’s just that they sent some engineers over to help with performance, and got it matching resolution wise.

I think there’s some misconceptions going on with a few people.

Journey

Banned
Microsoft is so evil for copying what Sony did back in the PS2 Xbox days. :p

The goal every developer should be striving for is making sure that the game has a stable framerate. The difference between Xbox One and PS4 is not that significant where you'll notice things are missing, its a multiplatform game afterall, not many are gonna go out of their way to model a few more buttons or trees just because the system has a little more legroom, only to realize later that now on heavy gunfights, your framerate can drop because of these unnecessary additions. At the end of the day, it's irrelevant now with Xbox One X, now technically Sony could do the same with agreements and make sure the Pro is not left behind and the cycle goes on.

Last edited:
There's zero evidence to support this, it's even more damning in the opposite direction as the game operates at sub-1080p on Xbox One.

In terms of people talking up Destiny parity, did it ever occur to anyone that the Xbox One was able to handle Destiny's peak rendering therefore there was nothing more for the PS4 to render resulting in parity?

Caayn

“On The Division, Xbox had a deal with Ubisoft, and part of that deal was to ensure that the PS4 version did not look better than it. The resolution, frame rates, and density of assets could have been higher on PS4, but this was vetoed to prevent issues with Microsoft.”
I'm calling bullshit. The game runs better and at a higher resolution on the PS4 than on the XB1.

So it was vetoed and not vetoed at the same time?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Oh boy this stuff again.

I remember the Creed unity thread. That was something else.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
This kind of thing it's hard to measure or enforce. I'm not sure there is much to it really. On the other side, the Xbox version of Destiny 1 was the same as the PS despite the difference in power, so Bungie had an exclusive agreement for the PS4 and yet still threw away the extra performance. Then on D2 they went the extra mile for the X. I'm sure Sony has the same language for parity but it did not impact the XB1 version beyond content.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
From my understanding, Xbox version of Division ran with a dynamic resolution while the PS4 ran at 1080p locked, this was the developers way of keeping the same assets as the PS4 so I'm not even sure about the validity of this topic , not to mention that despite the supposed forced parity, the framerate on PS4 still suffers at times leaving little room to add this so called missing detail that supposedly was left out on purpose, unless they decided to also make the PS4 version with a dynamic resolution, but 1080p locked on PS4 vs Xbox One dynamic in order to keep up seems to be par for the course and not a conspiracy.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
From my understanding, Xbox version of Division ran with a dynamic resolution while the PS4 ran at 1080p locked, this was the developers way of keeping the same assets as the PS4 so I'm not even sure about the validity of this topic , not to mention that despite the supposed forced parity, the framerate on PS4 still suffers at times leaving little room to add this so called missing detail that supposedly was left out on purpose, unless they decided to also make the PS4 version with a dynamic resolution which imo would've been an outrage when at the time the PS4 was touted as the 1080p machine.

VG247 in tatters

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Happens all the time for a myriad of reasons. Like you don't want boxshots on one SKU that are from another. And you don't want customers on one platform be salty that the other platform gets a better version. Or because you simply don't want to put in the effort to make one better.

Journey

Banned
As before, the main point of separation between consoles comes down to resolution. PS4 permanently runs at native 1080p, while Xbox One operates using dynamic resolution scaling, which sees pixel quality reduced in more complex scenes. For example, outdoor areas tend to operate at 1792x1008 and 1728x972, with the engine switching back to native 1080p when moving indoors or into less detailed environments.

In practice the lower resolution is quite subtle, but there are areas where the difference is noticeable. Texture details on street signs and distant objects are blurrier on Xbox One, and sub-pixel edges are less clearly resolved.

[/thread]

Last edited:

If you were referring to DLC exclusivity, you should have mentioned that, considering the thread topic.
As I mentioned in my original post, I was referring to marketing rights. It's really not hard to understand what I was saying lol.

I see SONY TOO™ is alive and well.
Yes, and what's wrong with it? I never understood that ridiculous meme. "Yeah this practice sucks but it's an industry wide issue that needs addressed." OMG HE JUST SONY TOO™ BAN HIM HUR DUR! Give me a break. Because Sony is the top dog this gen, they can't be held accountable.

Chaostar

Yes, and what's wrong with it? I never understood that ridiculous meme. "Yeah this practice sucks but it's an industry wide issue that needs addressed." OMG HE JUST SONY TOO™ BAN HIM HUR DUR! Give me a break. Because Sony is the top dog this gen, they can't be held accountable.
It's the equivalent of saying "well they started it"

Evasionary and about as immature as repeating what someone says in silly voice :lollipop_smirking:

Nobody said that Sony shouldn't be held accountable if they truly are doing the same thing but I've yet to see any evidence of that.

Last edited:

Here come the fanboy accusations like clockwork :lollipop_unamused: please try to be more civil.

If there's evidence please do share.

If you act like a fanboy you should expect to be called one. I'm not going to list out every marketing deal Sony has secured this gen that guarantees ps4 owners something over what xbox/pc owners get. If you are blind to the fact that Microsoft and SONY TOO both partake in this crappy practice than forgive my lack of civility...you are a fanboy.

Calibos

I giggled when I saw the thread title...then laughed out loud when I saw that it was VG247. This is a joke and is irresponsible. Shows that gaming journalism is continuing to sink into the shit further and further. The Xbox One version was inferior to the PS4 version. Then, the Xbox one X version out did them all(sans PC)...it's a very strange quote to be sure.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Did they pull this shit with Witcher 3 too?
No, but they also didn't pull this shit with The Division. It's an article trying to fan the flames of a pointless console war and capitalizing on that for clicks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom