• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to "continue to invest in new gaming studios and content to expand our IP roadmap" in 8K filing.

Chukhopops

This. So much this.

Xbox is about FPS and WRPGs. Same sort of games which the PC is known for. They're just extending that vision.

I play Xbox and PC because I love those games.
Exactly, they’re the only dev making multiple RTS games, tactical games, CRPGs, etc.

I hope they keep making more of those since they already have most of the talent available (except maybe Larian / Owlcat / Creative Assembly).

Stuart360

Exactly, they’re the only dev making multiple RTS games, tactical games, CRPGs, etc.

I hope they keep making more of those since they already have most of the talent available (except maybe Larian / Owlcat / Creative Assembly).
I guess you mean games released on console?, because PC is full of those types of games.

12Dannu123

If you can’t beat them, outspend them 💰👌🏼
Gaming acquisitions used to be fun when Sony bought Insomniac or when Microsoft bought Turn10.

Now it’s just an arms race… fuck that shit

Microsoft needs content for their subscription service, and it's more efficient and cost-effective to simply an existing company than to start a company from scratch. Because of this, Microsoft has an incentive to acquire publishers and studios regardless of size.

Last edited:
That is not what an "8K filing" means. It's a regulatory thing that companies need to do when they announce major changes that shareholders need to know about. Has nothing to do with 4K vs 8K. It's a form that has to filed for the SEC.
Simpsons Thats The Joke GIF

Three

Issue is whos left to buy that is relevant enough to have a high ROI that isn't an off-limited brand like Take Two or Namco?

I'm also concerned abut consolidation, with Sony thinking about scooping up Square (or part of it) and Microsofts continued search for acquisitions, It's feeling like there's a lack of independence.
This sounds more like they are talking about "organic growth" .

"New gaming studios" suggests they plan to create studios.

Riky

$MSFT
It will be interesting to see if anything else happens quickly after Activision closes, it could be a good time to buy with the economic uncertainty.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It will be interesting to see if anything else happens quickly after Activision closes, it could be a good time to buy with the economic uncertainty.

The activision deal has likely prevented MS from buying more studios across an years length.

Crystal Dynamics and the Tomb Raider IP is something MS would have gobbled up within minutes if they weren't already tied up with this massive Acti deal.

Elog

Enough is a pretty low bar.... Staring at the wall with a bit of imagination is more than enough too! See I can also be stupid

More resolution is always good, but at a certain point after(emphasis) 4k the returns become extremely diminishing

However, tvs continue to get larger for cheaper, so it absolutely makes sense that Microsoft would want to plan for the future
The point he is making is that return is already severely diminishing around 1440p. I would argue that around 1600p it is close to pointless to push pixels. The GPU and I/O budget is much better spent on texture quality, post-processing, light/shadows etc after that. 4K is a marketing ploy that has very little to do with experience.

Jaybe

they're gonna buy EA. especially for the yearly spots titles. perfect for their sub service.
Yeah EA and Valve had strong speculation about a year prior to Bethesda. EA was the first publisher in on subscriptions and got their service on Xbox first, and since joined in on GP Ultimate and made steps to integrate with the PC service as well. Microsoft has been trying to emulate EA through GaaS and micro-transactions from basically not long into last gen. I wouldn’t see them making the sports titles exclusive either. Andrew Wilson’s ego seems a barrier from the Comcast merger talks. Any way, they definitely seem interested in selling for the right price. I sense ABK wasn’t really on MS’s radar until all the allegations surfaced, lowered the price, and let them play white knight (and strategically stop Amazon, Apple, Google, and Meta from gaining ground in a big way).

teezzy

Banned

Yeah, you get it man. They're bringing the PC experience to console. That's what Xbox has always been about from the start. It's what made Halo and Xbox Live so successful from the jump. Giving us exclusives like Doom 3, KotOR, Deus Ex Invisible War, Morrowind, etc. This and GamePass are absolutely what's going to set them apart in the long run. They need that.

I'll continue to buy my JRPGs on Switch or invest in a PS5 once they're readily available. I'd rather Microsoft double down on their brand messaging via min/maxing than become a jack of all trades. Let Sony and Nintendo do their thing, Xbox is going to be something different. They're the sole Western competition in the console space.

Last edited:

Bridges

At this point, if they are going to snatch up more studios, I would hope they would be small teams that could greatly benefit from the increased budget.

As mentioned already in this thread, INTERIOR/NIGHT would be a good get, they just partnered with Xbox to release As Dusk Falls which is a great game for a subscription style service. If they could release one of those on a more consistent cadence with a little more budget it could help fill the gaps of 1st party while the bigger players work on bigger projects.

I also think White Owls would be a great choice. MS is making a push for more Japanese content and Swery had always seemed to have a good relationship with Xbox (Deadly Premonition launched as Xbox exclusive in the west, so did D4, The Good Life launched day 1 on Gamepass). The main problem with these games is clear lack of budget and polish but they're some of the most unique games in the industry, being supported by a subscription model could really help them while giving Xbox some exclusive Japanese content to compliment Tango Game works.

Certain Affinity also seems like a slam dunk, they have already been tapped to help with Infinite and have a long history with Microsoft. Sounds like they want to make their own game too, smaller scale projects that can release more frequently is exactly what Game Pass needs and all the better if it's from studios they already have a great relationship with.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'll continue to buy my JRPGs on Switch or invest in a PS5 once they're readily available. I'd rather Microsoft double down on their brand messaging via min/maxing than become a jack of all trades. Let Sony and Nintendo do their thing, Xbox is going to be something different. They're the sole Western competition in the console space.

This exactly. We don't need a 3rd weeb box, besides Japanime stuff doesn't do well on Xbox no matter how much a loud minority wants it. It's niche at best. Xbox needs to keep doing what we buy an Xbox for, hardcore Western gaming experiences. They've greatly expanded that with their acquisitions, and it will serve them well this generation.

Javthusiast

Banned
I do not care what the industry does anymore. They will all buy each other out until there is nothing left.

Just fatten up services like Game Pass for a good price and I am content. And Sony keep making great single player games.

PhaseJump

Banned
This exactly. We don't need a 3rd weeb box, besides Japanime stuff doesn't do well on Xbox no matter how much a loud minority wants it. It's niche at best. Xbox needs to keep doing what we buy an Xbox for, hardcore Western gaming experiences. They've greatly expanded that with their acquisitions, and it will serve them well this generation.

JRPGs are niche/dead on all platforms, and Microsoft should be building some of them with their money in house by having studios that make work and grow talent in Japan. Whether they come exclusively or not to Xbox is irrelevant. They will likely fail there, and sell better on PC.

We don't need any more weeb boxes, we don't need any more consoles in general, and limiting the Xbox console library to being the chronically lacking of choice option for another generation, does no favors for anybody.

Godot25

Banned
https://microsoft.gcs-web.com/node/30786/html

Issue is whos left to buy that is relevant enough to have a high ROI that isn't an off-limited brand like Take Two or Namco?

I'm also concerned abut consolidation, with Sony thinking about scooping up Square (or part of it) and Microsofts continued search for acquisitions, It's feeling like there's a lack of independence.
I would say Certain Affinity, IO Interactive, Avalanche Studios group.

Even Grubb Grubb said that Contraband and Project Dragon are in some ways trial for Microsoft to see how will be relationship and they can "pull the trigger" later.

Kokoloko85

K3auafu.gif

PsychicWorld_SMS_SegaLogo.gif

Bandai-Namco-New-Logo_09-30-21_004.jpg

790458.png

hLZ6BvT-_400x400.jpg

Make it happen, Phil.

But why?
MS has enough atm. They need to use there money to develop more games, not just buy publishers and ip’s. Buy some studios at most. The team that makes Flight simulator is a great team and they already have a working relationship.

I don’t understand how fans want MS to just buy the industry. It’s pretty dangerous for any of the big companies to own so many video games they didn’t create.

I wouldn’t trust Nintendo, Playstation, Amazon, MS Or Apple with owning so many IP’s they didn’t create. Ive seen how each acts at their worst and just overall its not something I want. I obviously have my platform preferences and I want them to make and have better games and be on top of the industry but I don’t want them to own the industry and all the great games they didn’t create.

Its just creating the norm for more of these companies to buy IP’s and publishers.
Its a smart plan from MS and to survive Playstation and Nintendo will have to do the same but Its not something as a fan of video games Im enjoying.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned

Clearly for access to IP ports and sequels. Also to make weeaboos that hate Microsoft cry and howl with outrage.

MS has enough atm. They need to use there money to develop more games, not just buy publishers and ip’s. Buy some studios at most. The team that makes Flight simulator is a great team and they already have a working relationship.

I don’t understand how fans want MS to just buy the industry. It’s pretty dangerous for any of the big companies to own so many video games they didn’t create.

I wouldn’t trust Nintendo, Playstation, Amazon, MS Or Apple with owning so IP’s they didn’t create. Ive seen how each acts at their worst and just overall its not something I want. I obviously have my platform preferences and I want them to make and have better games and be on top of the industry but I don’t want them to own the industry and all the great games they didn’t create.

Its just rolling the ball into more of these companies buying IP’s and publishers.
Its a smart plan from MS and to survive Playstation and Nintendo will have to do the same but Its not something as a fan of video games Im enjoying.

Microsoft should buy NeoGAF and ban you.

Kokoloko85

Clearly for access to IP ports and sequels. Also to make weeaboos that hate Microsoft cry and howl with outrage.

Microsoft should buy NeoGAF and ban you.

They can have access to them, just pay money for them and most are multiplatform anyway.

Also that would be funny lol

M16

Yeah EA and Valve had strong speculation about a year prior to Bethesda. EA was the first publisher in on subscriptions and got their service on Xbox first, and since joined in on GP Ultimate and made steps to integrate with the PC service as well. Microsoft has been trying to emulate EA through GaaS and micro-transactions from basically not long into last gen. I wouldn’t see them making the sports titles exclusive either. Andrew Wilson’s ego seems a barrier from the Comcast merger talks. Any way, they definitely seem interested in selling for the right price. I sense ABK wasn’t really on MS’s radar until all the allegations surfaced, lowered the price, and let them play white knight (and strategically stop Amazon, Apple, Google, and Meta from gaining ground in a big way).
yea i dont think this console exclusive stuff matters anymore. its all about owning the content, and of course the subs. that in itself makes them exclusive to gamepass.

Sega always fit with Xbox in my head though since the launch of the OG Xbox. And Team Ninja to some extent, but they're very multi-plat and have partnerships with all 3. A Mistwalker game would be nice too, but they're barely even a developer at this point.

Xbox always had some limited, but interesting Japanese games at the start of the OG Xbox, and the start of the 360. I think it would be foolish to completely abandon all Japanese games.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Holy shit, they're doing all of that in 8k???👀👀👀:messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire: Sony could probably manage only a 4k filing.
/s

EA would be a sensible target, strategically. No, I'm not kidding.

teezzy

Banned
Sega always fit with Xbox in my head though since the launch of the OG Xbox. And Team Ninja to some extent, but they're very multi-plat and have partnerships with all 3. A Mistwalker game would be nice too, but they're barely even a developer at this point.

Xbox always had some limited, but interesting Japanese games at the start of the OG Xbox, and the start of the 360. I think it would be foolish to completely abandon all Japanese games.

RIP Smilebit 😞

Last edited:

Goalus

I don't agree. They can't grow their audience if they totally abandon certain types of game that their core customer base doesn't seem to prefer. That's what happened to XB1 during its first 3-4 years - for potential new customers the situation we had there might be an automatic dealbreaker. They should at least keep doing what they are currently doing regarding bigger 3rd-party JRPGs. And if there is some surplus money in a few years, I'd like to have one or two 1st-party tentpole JRPGs. They don't need to buy a developer, but it should be Xbox IPs. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey may not have made the most money, but they are both legendary titles that are fondly remembered even to this day and I'd go as far and say that the call for more JRPGs on Xbox is their legacy to a large degree.

BreakOut

I'm still pissed they didn't buy the Western Division of Squeenix, so now they need to buy Embracer so they can get Edios Montreal and Crystal Dynamics. While they're at it they need to pick up Asobo.
They don’t need to buy those divisions, those games already come to Xbox. Rich as Microsoft may be, money is money and they need to spend it where it actually matters. Activision is a huge investment and a double sided purpose to keep it out of the hands of Facebook or anyone else entering the market. purchasing those studios would’ve been the biggest waste of money. Embracer was a better fit.

Top Bottom