• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to offer 3$ per 1000 views if you promote XBO

Lunar15

Ha, an additional $3 CPM for a mention? Hilarious stuff.

I mean $3 is cheap. Guess they don't want to dish out the $15-$19 for just pre-roll. But man, it's such a waste of money for Microsoft. Look, I don't blame the people who jump on this... other than preserving integrity I guess. But hey when Microsoft is dumb enough to just pay people to say they're playing an Xbox One, that's pretty funny.

As far as I can tell it doesn't even say you have to be positive about it. Just that you're using it.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This is going to back fire in a huge way. Not only will MS worsen their reputation but any Youtube site that actively promotes the X1 will automatically be dismissed and be accused of taking the bribe, even if they're legitimate views. This will implode badly.

_Ryo_

What if I promote XBO in one vid but negate the promotion in another and have an annotation in the promotion that links to the negative one? haha

proxy.png

Alright that's not nearly as bad as I assumed it would be, especially if multiplats are included.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Tag your video with XB1M13

Ohhh nice, they even made an easy way for us to filter and search for them, look for disclosure, and then report any that fail to follow the disclosure rules.

NICE! :D

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
This would be awful for viewers of YouTube videos if this kind of promotion catches on, for plenty of reasons that should be obvious. Think about how YouTube content would change if these kinds of deals and incentives were commonplace. This needs to be pushed back against and properly enforced.

According to those FTC law guidelines a posted earlier in this thread, a video would have to clearly state that they were being paid by Microsoft based on the number of views this video receives in order to properly disclose the promotion.

All depends on what they consider promoting. If a YouTuber just has to say "this video is brought to you by Xbox one", then no problemon.

That isn't enough to comply with federal law.

If you don't like it, don't watch videos with the tag xb1m13. It could not be more transparent. And it runs for two weeks.

Nice with tag included, that will make it easier to see which channels I should never watch again.

We don't know if the tag is the usual YouTube tag system or something internal. Channels that are managed my multi-channel networks see different features inside their UI. Besides, that tag is meaningless to anyone who is unaware of the campaign; XB1M13 does not function the same as "This video has been brought to you by Microsoft".

Coxy

wait, is this the first time they did this? because there are a lot of videos from launch tagged XB1M13

Orayn

Wow. This is actually illegal payola if the only "disclosure" is a tag that nobody will recognize.

wait, is this the first time they did this? because there are a lot of videos from launch tagged XB1M13

They've had similar promotions before, this is just another round of it.

rrs

Why pay more for annoying preroll ads when you can make the content creators do the dirty work for less
That shit is legal in the US without disclosure? Wtf?
It's amazing what a little money can do to make heads look the other way

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Oh Man, GameSocietyPimps went the extra mile, at the end of one of their tagged videos they went the extra mile "Dead Rising 3, get it now, you know you want to."

No disclosure, yeah, that ones getting reported :D

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Couldn't content creators take advantage of this promo in a tongue in cheek way while adhering to the promo rules? Like "It's time for this week's Xbox One corner!" and do like a character promoting the thing? That way, you can take advantage of the promo, be obvious about it, and still keep and cred you may or may not have?

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I've never considered the critical opinions of random youtube celebs (Totalbiscuit as an example) as particularly valid.

People in this thread keep saying that MS is buying good press here, and while I don't dispute it as shady, I don't really think they are buying press here.

Youtubers aren't journalists. They have no motivation to follow any sort of standard or uphold any kind of journalistic integrity. TotalBiscuit has already said that he's done "Consulting" for some publishers and he doesn't disclose which publishers or which games. It wouldn't surprise me if he was compensated in some way for his promotional work for Planetside 2 or SC2 from those publishers.

Now, do I think that's a good thing? No, which is why I don't watch TBs videos or subscribe to his critical opinions. But I don't think he's legally or morally obligated to not take money from publishers because he isn't a journalist. He's a personality.

SO like I said, I don't think this is a good thing or that it's all above board, but it just surprises me that people are reacting as if this sort of stuff hasn't been happening for awhile and that MS is the first one to reach out to youtubers to promote their games. They aren't, but I guess this is the first time something like this has gotten this much attention.

Orayn

Even if proper disclosure was a requirement to get the bonus CPM, Microsoft still got people to make THOUSANDS of videos promoting their product with the promise of cash.

They already won.

Osiris

Even if proper disclosure was a requirement to get the bonus CPM, Microsoft still got people to make THOUSANDS of videos promoting their product with the promise of cash.

They already won.

Oh undoubtedly, there might be a bit of a surprise coming for those that took advantage though :p

But I don't think he's legally or morally obligated to not take money from publishers because he isn't a journalist. He's a personality.

He's not, but he is legally required to disclose that payment though.

Top Bottom