• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Unveiling Undisclosed Titles Week Before GDC? [Up: Seemingly Core Games]

TheOddOne

UuHl3.png

iq0Kd.png

Geoff dropping knowledge.

EagleEyes

Shiggy said:
Kinect Sports 2?
That would be awesome. Loved the first one. Give me Halo:CE remastered, Gears 3, Forza 4 and Kinect Sports 2 and Microsoft will be set for the fall. Money will be falling in their laps.

Shiggy

EagleEyes said:
That would be awesome. Loved the first one. Give me Halo:CE remastered, Gears 3, Forza 4 and Kinect Sports 2 and Microsoft will be set for the fall. Money will be falling in their laps.

Yay, who needs creative and original games...

.GqueB.

Banned
I wish Geoff would change his display pic already. Every time one of these threads pop up Im forced to read his tweets douchily.

Feindflug

Neuromancer said:
Excellent, we need some unannounced titles to be unveiled. I'm hoping for non-Kinect games.

Fixed.

Their 2011 Kinect line-up is pretty strong right now, it's their traditional games list that needs to be stronger.

GavinGT

Banned
Shiggy said:
Yay, who needs creative and original games...

What are those? All I know are sequels and reboots. Hell, remaking Halo would be a more original move than we're accustomed to.

Shiggy

GavinGT said:
What are those? All I know are sequels and reboots. Hell, remaking Halo would be a more original move than we're accustomed to.

True. All MGS has is Fable Productions aka Lionhead, Halo Studios aka 343, Forza Games aka Turn10, UK-based Nintendo-Rehash Productions (might be renamed to Avatar Interactive) as well as a few other Kinect studios.

V_Ben

Banned
Shiggy said:
True. All MGS has is Fable Productions aka Lionhead, Halo Studios aka 343, Forza Games aka Turn10, UK-based Nintendo-Rehash Productions (might be renamed to Avatar Interactive) as well as a few other Kinect studios.

*laughs*.... then cries slightly.

LQX said:
I'm calling it. A different, Forza, Gears of War and Halo game.

Most likely this, hoping for a new killer instinct. With the renaissance of fighting games, theres no reason not to shoot it out as an xbox exclusive.

Shiggy

V_Ben said:
*laughs*.... then cries slightly.

Don't worry, Rare still has some of the very best artists. Their work is just not used for Rare's titles. Maybe we will see some of their work in other titles of MGS.

GavinGT

Banned
Shiggy said:

It's not like we can blame them. Look at how many companies tried to do something bold and ended up bankrupt.

Onion_Relish said:
Most likely this, hoping for a new killer instinct. With the renaissance of fighting games, theres no reason not to shoot it out as an xbox exclusive.

That would be clever.

Besides, they should add a Kinect-mode; maybe first-person.

So you get an exclusive fighter (which the 360 is lacking since launch), you bring back a beloved franchise and deliver on both the casual and hardcore front.

Since it's such a smart move, it's definitely not going to happen.

V_Ben

Banned
TheOddOne said:
Ha... reminds me a little of Sony too :(

Don't get what you mean :/

Shiggy said:
Don't worry, Rare still has some of the very best artists. Their work is just not used for Rare's titles. Maybe we will see some of their work in other titles of MGS.

Ooh, that's good to know. It's nice to see their artists being put to work on projects that may make better use of their abilities :)

[Nintex]

metareferential said:
That would be clever.

Besides, they should add a Kinect-mode; maybe first-person.

So you get an exclusive fighter (which the 360 is lacking since launch), you bring back a beloved franchise and deliver on both the casual and hardcore front.

Since it's such a smart move, it's definitely not going to happen.
Rare couldn't make it, they'd be stuck at picking the font for the design doc.

Shiggy

V_Ben said:
Ooh, that's good to know. It's nice to see their artists being put to work on projects that may make better use of their abilities :)

Don't that to be misunderstood. It's not as if they had any creative freedom when doing outsourcing work. They just create some assets for others, just as they did for Halo 3.

@GavinGT
Still I don't think it was healthy for the studio as a whole to abandon the Rare's company culture by shifting to an entirely different direction: Focussing on Kinect.

TheOddOne

V_Ben said:
Don't get what you mean :/
Polyphony Digital - Gran Turismo Franchise
Naughty Dog - Uncharted Franchise
SCE Santa Monica Studio - God of War franchise
SCE San Diego Studio - MLB franchise
SCE Bend Studio - Port studio
Zipper Interactive - Socom franchise
SCE London Studio - Singstar franchise
SCE Cambridge Studio - Port Studio
Evolution Studios - Motorstorm franchise
Bigbig Studios - Port Studio
Guerrilla Games - Killzone franchise
Media Molecule - Little Big Planet franchise

God of War, Uncharted, Grand Turismo, Socom, Singstar, Motorstorm, Killzone and Little Big Planet have dictated studios.

Afrikan

TheOddOne said:

God of War, Uncharted, Grand Turismo, Socom, Singstar, Motorstorm, Killzone and Little Big Planet have dictated studios.

for what it's worth, Guerrilla Games are working on an new IP and so is Sony Santa Monica.

I wonder if Liverpool, with the help of Evolution, will be allowed to finish off The Protector.

TheOddOne

Afrikan said:
for what it's worth, Killzone is working on an new IP and so is Sony Santa Monica.

I wonder if Liverpool, with the help of Evolution, will be allowed to finish off The Protector.
Might as well, but those studios will be pushing out those franchises for a couple of years.

Shiggy said:
Don't that to be misunderstood. It's not as if they had any creative freedom when doing outsourcing work. They just create some assets for others, just as they did for Halo 3.

@GavinGT
Still I don't think it was healthy for the studio as a whole to abandon the Rare's company culture by shifting to an entirely different direction: Focussing on Kinect.
healthy for the studio or not, Kinect Sports was great. got great reviews and sold well too. that game had charm. Rare still have a soul despite everything that happened.

their passion shows in Kinect Sports. it may not be the project they wanted to be working on, but they obviously put care into it, and it shines through.

no matter what else went on behind the scenes Rare should be proud of Kinect Sports, and I'm sure they are.

V_Ben

Banned
TheOddOne said:

Aye, but none of those were created with those sole franchises in mind. And calling BigBig a "port studio" is a severe f*cking disrespect. They made both Pursuit Force games, a PSP Motorstorm, and are currently at work on Little Deviants, a NGP game. Same goes for Cambridge. They're working on what amounts to portable new instalments in franchises, and do a damn good job of it. I could go on, but those studios are kinda homes to those franchises because it was where those franchises were created. MS created 343 to keep Halo going, but Turn 10 created Forza, no? :)

(Also, San Diego's logo pops up all over the place. ModNation's PSP version was created solely by them I think. I could perhaps go on, but I don't want to derail.)

Shiggy said:

Oh, I did understand that, I just didn't word it very well. I'm just happy that their talents are being used on more games :)

Afrikan said:
for what it's worth, Killzone is working on an new IP and so is Sony Santa Monica.

it's funny that you called Guerilla 'Killzone'.

Shiggy said:

Depends on how you look at it. A part of their DNA has always been creating approachable, family-friendly games. From that perspective, Kinect is a natural fit.

And just because their Kinect debut was Kinect Sports (a great AND commercially successful game, apparently, something they have waited a long time for), doesn't necessarily mean that all their future games will be similar, Avatar based affairs.

TheOddOne

V_Ben said:
Aye, but none of those were created with those sole franchises in mind. And calling BigBig a "port studio" is a severe f*cking disrespect. They made both Pursuit Force games, a PSP Motorstorm, and are currently at work on Little Deviants, a NGP game. Same goes for Cambridge. They're working on what amounts to portable new instalments in franchises, and do a damn good job of it. I could go on, but those studios are kinda homes to those franchises because it was where those franchises were created. MS created 343 to keep Halo going, but Turn 10 created Forza, no? :)
a) Bigbig focus the couple of years has been racing games for the portable, but recently been focused on porting.
b) The discussion was about specific studios only working with one IP, Sony has a bunch that are mostly if not all focused on that IP.

V_Ben

Banned
TheOddOne said:
a) Bigbig focus the couple of years has been racing games for the portable, but recently been focused on porting.
b) The discussion was about specific studios only working with one IP, Sony has a bunch that are mostly if not all focused on that IP.

But what did BigBig port? They made their motorstorm game for PS2 and PSP... but that isn't porting. It was for both. I can only assume that they then started on NGP stuff.

Top Bottom